Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Archwing Concept] Eiwaeks - Support Control Archwing V2 + Extra

Salenstormwing

I love Archwings, but a few things about them annoy me about what we have currently, which is the lack of information in some Archwing Missions outside of visual ranges, and more interesting abilities like those used by Nyx. So I decided to make an Archwing based on real-world aircraft concepts like the AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control System) electronic warfare package used by the military.

Secondly, while I'm an okay artist, I stink at drawing technical stuff, so I liberated a bunch of blueprints and used them to make my own archwing concept.... The EIWAEKS

Original Version:

ArchwingEiwaeks_zps70594a27.jpg

The overall idea is that it functions similar to an Electronic Warfare version of an Archwing, with ability to both help friendly archwing units as well as provide interference and electronic countermeasures against opponents. The Old War seemed like a perfect time for such an archwing's design, seeing as you'd want something that could provide lots of information to multiple units while keeping your opponents confused and disoriented. A lot of the tech should be somewhat of a cross between the more angular Corpus design, with early Grineer designs, since the Eiwaeks would be a cross between all 3 major technological divergences.

Again, I used blueprints all chopped up to get a general idea and feel for the design, but it's totally available for redesign. The dish is one of the few elements I do like a lot though.

Version 2: Photuris Variant

FinishedArchwingPhoturus_zps4fc52dfc.jpg

I go more into the difference between Version 1 & Version 2 in the following post below. It's not honestly much different.

Powers:

All the Eiwaeks' powers are based around using that big ol' sensor dome to either track targets, or confuse them, and provide that information to other Archwings.

1. Chaff: Eiwaeks fills the area (about 30m radius) with void-masking metal fragments. All friendlies within this area at time of use are rendered INVISIBLE and UNTRACEABLE for up to 6 seconds.  Similar to Loki's Invisibility or Ash's Smoke Screen, except it can help stop missiles that are currently tracking frame.

2. Sensor Sweep: An Active Power (constant energy drain while in use). Use power again to turn off. Autonomous drone dish scans for all targets within 750m radius. Any enemy units are marked. Friendly units (and Eiwacks) within range of Active Sensor Sweep are relayed this information as well. Friendly Archwing Abilities such as Odonata's Seeking Fire or Disarray have range increased and accuracy of tracking enhanced to be more agressive. A modified version of Banshee's Sonar.

3. IFF Scrambler: An IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) scrambler causes the dish to send out large pulse of energy within 500m of Eiwaeks to all targets, and scrambles their ability to tell friend from foe. Lasts for 20 seconds. Enemy missiles in flight will seek nearest target (friend or foe). Similar to Nyx's Chaos, able to fool in-flight missiles as well.

4. EMP: Power sends constant, massive Radiation damage outward in a 350m radius around Eiwaeks. A high-cost Active Power (constant energy drain while in use). Use power again to turn off. Power destroys all enemy missiles that enter radius. 10%-15% chance to proc Radiation Confusion Status per second of duration. Similar to Volt's Overload, except an Active Power and Radiation instead of Electrical damage.

Yeah. Okay, I think I got the idea completely out of my head now. Maybe I'll see what folks think. I mean... it might be, okay. Sorry about using bits of aircraft blueprints to get my point across. I tried to do what I could, when I could.

And who knows. Someone might like it.

Also, the Poseidon CIWS ranged Archwing weapon is also shown off in a post further down. For a sneak peak, click the Spoiler below:

FinishedCIWSConcept_zps2d0dbfc4.jpg

Edited by Salenstormwing

I like this, a very well though through support 'wing.

Thanks. I've always enjoyed control & support-style Warframes, and my desire for better targeting abilities and radar while using an Archwing... I just sort of put it all together and came up with what seemed like a solid concept.

Also, it let me put my love of Aircraft together with my love of Archwings and Warframe.

I like the idea, but I think the name could still be changed to reflect an insectoid wing type, like the Archwings so far do. Not sure which one it would be, though...

As much as the insect-like naming scheme is cool for Archwings in general, I used the word "EIWAEKS" to name it since it was an Old War Archwing, and time and Grineer-style language degradation had turned the phrase "AWACS", Airborne Warning and Control System, into a butchered version that sounded similar but had become it's own word. Then again, I'm not opposed to the Archwing having a name based on an insect. It would just take someone smarter than myself to figure one out.

Oh, and as a side note... Power 2: Sensor Sweep. I also was going to suggest that this power also any enemy missiles as well, allowing the Eiwaeks to have an easier time figuring out if it should employ one of it's other 3 powers, depending on where they are and where they're going.

Feel free to add any suggestions or possible changes you'd think would improve the concept.

And thanks again.

I like the idea, but I think the name could still be changed to reflect an insectoid wing type, like the Archwings so far do. Not sure which one it would be, though...

I side with this. Giving it completely militaristic names kind of rubs against the themes of the Tenno: balance and grace. I would also assume that ALL archwings are from the old war.

I side with this. Giving it completely militaristic names kind of rubs against the themes of the Tenno: balance and grace. I would also assume that ALL archwings are from the old war.

Not opposed to a name change. It's just what I came up with first. And I didn't see the Eiwaeks as a Tenno design, but something that used Tenno concepts but was somewhere between the Grineer's future "Lumpy round bulbs" look and the Corpus "Boxes for Everything" design philosophy.

In fact, this could very well be a Corpus design that was shelved or lost because it didn't prove to be very useful in the name of Profits.

But... if I was going to go with a name change... I'd probably suggest something less Insect-like and instead go with something more Spider-like.

An "EMP Web" could be the ultimate, where the space around the archwing has a faint, web-like design all-around. The Sensor could also deploy 8 individual lights upon activation. To make it more spider-ie.

Even fiddling with the idea of allowing the wings to unfurl into 8 separate, very thin wings, just to make it more spiderish. Buuut... that would require me to doodle stuff out, and require me to like spiders more than I do. Which... is I hate spiders a lot. But spiders are VERY good at catching things in their webs.

Oh, if we go with the spider idea though... the first power could also provide a small cloud of poison in it's wake as the archwing (and friends) get masked for a short time and leave behind a nice poison cloud in it's place. But that might be a bit too silly and/or spider-ish.

But... if I was going to go with a name change... I'd probably suggest something less Insect-like and instead go with something more Spider-like.

But... spider are insects too, just a different family of insects.

About the concept: Since the launch of Archwing i've been waiting for some sort of Helios-like augment (for the scans), and this can help somehow too?

I'd prefer a name change as well, but other than that I can see it's a concept that would work in-game and likely be one of the most desirable ones so far.

If you have any suggestions for a better name, please do list them. I'm halfway tempted to mock up the 8 multi-wing S-Foil-esque wings as a possible alternative. But I might do that later.

But... spider are insects too, just a different family of insects.

About the concept: Since the launch of Archwing i've been waiting for some sort of Helios-like augment (for the scans), and this can help somehow too?

Spiders are not insects. They're both invertebrates, but insects have 6 legs, while spiders have 8. And as someone who's deathly afraid of spiders in general, I'm quite good at counting how many creepy legs a thing has before I smash it with my shoe. But yeah, there are whole articles on why Spiders aren't Insects: http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=8537

As for Helios-like scanning ability... hmm.  I suppose it could be possible to tie a specific mod to the frame to allow the Sensor Sweep to scan enemy targets like the Helios does, while the power is active. No mod, no passive scanning. Mod but not scanning, no passive scanning at that time. And of course you'd still have energy being drained and each scan would still require the user to have scanners equipped.

But... it might be possible, but I'm not sure if the devs would allow the power to do it.... Unless they put the mod in one or two of the syndicates. Sort of how like some mods are only in certain syndicates.

Of the 6 syndicates, maybe Cephelon Suda and the Perrin Sequence might be the best choice for the mod, although perhaps Arbiters of Hexis instead of Perrin would be better. Those Arbiter guys seem like they might have access to weird stuff like that.

If we did want to go with the insect wing name thing, I could give some suggestions:

Lepidoptera/Lepidopteran: "Scale Wing", refers to scaly-winged insects like moths or butterflies. May be thematically fitting with the whole "chaff" thing.

Hymenoptera/Hymenopteran: "Membrane Wing", includes insects like wasps, bees, and ants. Not entirely sure how this would make sense.

Diptera/Dipteran: "Two Wings", includes flies. Not sure what else to say.

Coleoptera/Coleopteran: "Sheath Wings", refers to insects like beetles that have "wing cases". Appearance-wise may fit this.

These are just a few I can remember off the top of my head; if anyone else can recall any insect orders that may fit this Archwing, feel free to contribute.

Not opposed to a name change. It's just what I came up with first. And I didn't see the Eiwaeks as a Tenno design, but something that used Tenno concepts but was somewhere between the Grineer's future "Lumpy round bulbs" look and the Corpus "Boxes for Everything" design philosophy.

In fact, this could very well be a Corpus design that was shelved or lost because it didn't prove to be very useful in the name of Profits.

An "EMP Web" could be the ultimate, where the space around the archwing has a faint, web-like design all-around. The Sensor could also deploy 8 individual lights upon activation. To make it more spider-ie.

Even fiddling with the idea of allowing the wings to unfurl into 8 separate, very thin wings, just to make it more spiderish. Buuut... that would require me to doodle stuff out, and require me to like spiders more than I do. Which... is I hate spiders a lot. But spiders are VERY good at catching things in their webs.

Oh, if we go with the spider idea though... the first power could also provide a small cloud of poison in it's wake as the archwing (and friends) get masked for a short time and leave behind a nice poison cloud in it's place. But that might be a bit too silly and/or spider-ish.

mooch butter :)

seeing as this concept is REALLY showy, then invisible, and supports bringing friends closer, I would say it's more like a lightning bug. if you were to name it after one of the lower orders, Luciolinae is a kind that emits quick bursts of light that wards off predators and attracts mates. also, if you want to get more general (elytron is named after a superfamily of beetles.) you might just want to go for the firefly in general (lampyridae).

so my suggestions are either Lucio or Lampyr.

or if you want some other mutations of those names there are Lucis, Lampyris, Lampris, Lucyr, or Lacio

Edited by nubnubbud

seeing as this concept is REALLY showy, then invisible, and supports bringing friends closer, I would say it's more like a lightning bug. if you were to name it after one of the lower orders, Luciolinae is a kind that emits quick bursts of light that wards off predators and attracts mates. also, if you want to get more general (elytron is named after a superfamily of beetles.) you might just want to go for the firefly in general (lampyridae).

so my suggestions are either Lucio or Lampyr.

or if you want some other mutations of those names there are Lucis, Lampyris, Lampris, Lucyr, or Lacio

Lampris sounds good enough. Lucyr, Lacio, Lucis are names that reminds me some names used for people in my country...

Good one!

Well, with everyone's suggestions, I think I have an idea or two of how to modify the Archwing.

1. Try out that Spider-like design. Still no good name for it yet, but I think it still might be worth scribbling out.

2. Go with the name "Photuris". I'll need to redesign the archwing anyways, but instead of changing the wings, I'd change the dish into a more 'firefly-esque' external piece. Photuris are a type of firefly that eat other firefly. And what better way than to make an Archwing that can confuse other space-based vehicles to their DEATH! Plus, I can take some design concept for the sensor-pod "light" section from another "Firefly".

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. I'm back, with my horrible scribbles again. And more thoughts. Sorry it took me a while to get back here, but I wasn't feeling very creative over the Winter Break, but now I'm back and putting more ideas down.

First off, redesign concept for the Photuris variant of my original Archwing design!

FinishedArchwingPhoturus_zps4fc52dfc.jpg

Instead of the "dish" as before, we're replaced it with an all-powerful glowie thing that attaches to the back of the harness. Also, wings were redesigned to be more 'Corpus Drone'-esque. The wings even have those thrusters on the wings, because I felt the design could be a bit more 'Corpus'. Plus, it felt like something the Tenno might do, stealing Corpus parts to create a new set of wings for their Archwings.

Basic purpose is all the same though. Support team members, confuse enemies.

Secondly, I bring tidings of a concept weapon system for all those poor, unfortuante Archwings who need some help. Meet the Poseidon Multi-Functional Close-In Weapon System.

FinishedCIWSConcept_zps2d0dbfc4.jpg

This weapon is similar to the Quanta multi-function weapon already in the game, having different weapon effects based on which trigger is being used. The mini-gun is high rate of fire, low damage, explosive AoE, with shots being close enough to a target to cause the round to detonate early if it would normally miss the target. Think similar to the guns on Slave One from this movie scene. Any explosive projectile shot by it should cause a nice 'flak' explosion, to destroy the incoming enemy missile.

It's alt-fire mode is a much larger, autonomous missile. No need to worry about how to shoot it, just launch the missile, and then let IT figure out who to fly towards. Of course, you don't directly control the weapon system, so you better shoot it towards stuff you'd prefer it to go after and not towards stuff you can handle with the main-fire system. And hopefully the onboard Cephelon decides to fly the missile after something big and scary that you want dead.

And why did I call it the Poseidon? Because it's a Close-In Weapon System, and it is abbreviated as CIWS, which is pronounced as "Sea Wiz". And who's a better wizard of the sea than the GOD OF THE SEA, Poseidon! Feel free to call the missile launcher part the 'Trident'.

I'm witty. ^_^

No I'm not. But, hey, updates. Woo. Let's see if I can update my first page with some of this.

Rename Poseidon. Neptuneus Rex.

Could you be more detailed on the what's and why's of your suggestion? I don't mind changing things if they make sense, but I'm a bit confused as to the reasoning behind your abbreviated suggestion.

And in other thoughts...

I want to have the following section of the Archwing Corpus Super-Ship map to be added to the normal Corpus ship set, where you can cross from one section of ship to another, with big windows on either side.

230410_screenshots_2015-01-02_00001_zps1

It might also be useful for a starting spot of a Normal Mission turned Archwing Mission, where you shoot out the glass and jump outside while Ordis deploys your Archwing.

I'm ex navy and I worked with the cwis guys. Nepuneus Rex is Latin for king Neptune. God of the sea who's court we enter on wog day.

Allow me to translate what was just said. Actually, let me just link the Line-crossing ceremony Wikipedia article instead.

The tl:dr version... When folks on a naval boat cross the equator, the crew do stupid stuff to the folks who've never have done it before. Hilarity ensues. All because of "King Neptune".

As for the name "Neptuneus Rex", it's an interesting though. It might be good name for a Grineer weapon-system after all. Although maybe not. I'd probably leave the naming to the Devs on this occasion, for whichever they felt was more fitting, but it's not a bad suggestion.

Also, I'm open for any other suggestions of comments as well.

Also-also, if you haven't noticed by now, but I hate-hate-hate-hate-hAEt enemy missiles in Archwing. So yeah, I'm all for more stuff that makes missiles less painful. Plus, I want to make some Grineer shoot each other with their own missiles. Let's see how they like it.

• 2 months later...

The OP is very well thought out. Your concept seems great for helping squdmates identify and target enemies. Something that would help in combat more than a minimap change.

My concept is more about controlling the enemy like Nyx. Feel free to check it out.

I'm Onnet; The Archwing.

The OP is very well thought out. Your concept seems great for helping squdmates identify and target enemies. Something that would help in combat more than a minimap change.

My concept is more about controlling the enemy like Nyx. Feel free to check it out.

I'm Onnet; The Archwing.

Wow, it feels like forever since someone said something. Glad you like the concept. It's something I just feel that Archwing needs, a controller-type Archwing to balance out the Generic, Heavy, and Stealth Archwing frames we already have. Plus, I like the idea of giving players more information in Archwing missions. It would help a lot.