Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Pc Controller] Extent Of Partial Menu Accessibility

Blakrana

Hi, Blakrana here

As a result of the work I've been doing trying to compile everything I know about using a Controller to play Warframe on PC located here, I've found that at the moment we have a fair number of UI systems within the Liset that can only be interacted with on a very limited level with the Controller.

I perfectly understand that it's more than likely a 'we're aware of it' situation, and I don't doubt there might be half a dozen bugs however, the fact remains that currently PC players using controllers still require a mouse to have full interaction with the UI. As much as I'm aware this is a safe assumption they'll still have a mouse, it's illogical to me that's the intention of the design, particularly considering the raw fact that PS4 users and Xbox One users have the accessibility PC controller users currently lack.

Hence, I am going to list and detail the nature of what I dub 'Partial' menus here, in hopes that the good folks in charge of this stuff might be able to help. End of the day, I'm not really expecting you to go trawling every other forum for possible UI issues people didn't mention here.

For the sake of time saving, I won't mention menus fully accessible through the controller.

Personal Schema for menus

A: Select Item

X: All 'Left' button functions (Vote Left side in invasions/Offerings/Begin Mission etc), open menu at stations

Y: All 'Right' button functions (Vote Right side in Invasions/Cancel missions/Next Title), open sort menus

LB/RB: Tab functions

Mission Navigation & Matchmaking

Thankfully, this is actually the most controller friendly menu in the game, meaning one can at least set up missions and play without mouse dependency. The Partial aspect of this interface is Matchmaking select, World State panel and the current inability to access Invite functions.

Matchmaking: This menu can be opened with Y, and using the Left stick you can highlight things. However, that is all the functionality a controller has. Not only that, but if you open this Menu with Y, be it in the Star Map or in the Start Menu, you will be locked into one plane of movement until you open the Matchmaking Menu again.

World State Panel: This menu is accessed by using Right Trigger, and you can tab with LB/RB. Further selections require the use of the mouse, however, as no controller based navigation exists after this point.

Update 15.5: It appears that you can now trigger missions from this panel with A. Still cannot highlight or navigate within this however with the controller.

Inviting: No controller based method that I know of exists for this function.

Update 15.5: You can Left Click to decline. That's it however. Not quite there yet.

Foundry

Currently, the only interactions I can perform are Tabbing the menu categories, and, should I have highlighted with a mouse, I can Select it with the A button. The Y Button is able to open the Sort Menu, but no further interaction exists.

Codex

Currently, no Tab function exists for sub-menu's within the Codex categories for Mods, Enemies and Weapons. However, the 'Search' Function is accessible with Y and actually can be selected and modified via directional input and the A button. Past this, one cannot scroll within an opened Codex entry, one can only pause the Art Gallery items by pushing the Left Stick right, but cannot begin playing/moving along manually at all.

The Training entries do not respond to any controller input barring B to exit or go back. This requires a mouse. Furthermore, they do not display changes reflecting using a controller, instead displaying the basic Keyboard and Mouse tips. Arguably a minor point, considering the manual set up of a controller schema anyway, but something to be aware of nevertheless.

It is not possible to enter the Training or Quest portions of the Codex with a controller, either, due to lack of tab navigation.

Note: Pressing Y, whilst not in a menu freezes all controller directional input where it should work, implying it may be tinkering with something in the background, similar to the prior mentioned Matchmaking issue. Start, B and pressing Y again seems to resolve the matter, however, again akin to closing a menu.

Syndicates

One of the most recent additions, currently opening the Menu proper limits you to navigating with directional input, but you cannot select a Syndicate from this point. Should you enter the menu via mouse use, you can enter offerings/next title by use of the X and Y buttons respectively. Further, you are able to tab menus, but you are not able to manually select items with directional inputs, but you can, if highlighted, select items with A. Sacrifices are also possible to do by pressing A.

Market

At the Market base screen, there is no controller access whatsoever. Highlighting items with a mouse is not sufficient to change menus or select items. However, you are able to navigate and select items in the other menus, but are unable to actually purchase things using the controller. Selecting Purchase with a mouse does allow you to then confirm through the Controller using A or B, but that is the full extent of accessibility.

Mods

This menu has a degree of function, currently. You can refine the display via Tabbing Menus, selecting mods is done via directional highlighting and pressing A, and then further functions can be approached through further navigation.

However, it is not currently possible to auto-fuse Cores or Duplicates using a controller, nor is it possible to 'Select All' when viewing a Mod unless manually using the Tab buttons to add one at a time. Once the desired amount is reached, it is possible to confirm with A, however.

Update: After fooling around again, I've discovered that for fusing Duplicate Mods, you must Click Left Stick, and for Fusing Cores, you must click Right stick. However, you cannot confirm the Fusion with controller inputs.

Arsenal

The only function fully accessible is the Equip of Warframes, Weapons, Sentinels and Sentinel weapons, as it is merely a case of A -> Highlight desired item -> A to select -> A to confirm.

Accessing the Upgrade Menu is done through the Y button, and you can tab mod categories with the bumpers. Left Stick Click opens the Mod tutorial, otherwise, there appear to be no further functions accessed by the controller. To mod at all requires the mouse. Changing pre-built mod loadouts or advanced actions such as Reactors/Catalysts, Forma, Auto-fill and Polarity Swap, cannot be accessed at all without a mouse's initial input. It is also not possible to remove all mods.

Appearance is a mixed bag. You can access the main selections, and any 'Equip' style one is fully functional. However, colour palettes cannot be changed or selected with the controller, and the Favourites functions are also inaccessible. You are however able to Tab to select which set appearance you want to use, from A/B/C. Sigils are, barring colour change, entirely able to be altered with a controller.

Abilities are accessed with Right Trigger, and that's all that needs to be said.

Changing Warframe loadouts can be done with tabbing. Currently, there are no functions to access Archwing or Loadout creation with the controller alone. Once accessed, however, the same issues for overlapping categories applies.

Due my lack of a Kubrow or Genetic Foundry, I cannot comment on this content's accessibility for controllers at this time. If anyone with these items wishes to contribute their understanding of access through a controller on PC, please feel free to detail your findings below.

Update: I neglected to examine Gear due to my lack of using anything beyond a Codex Scanner. However, in the case of the Gear menu, you literally cannot select on the 'wheel' using the controller, again requiring a mouse for half of the menu.

Update 15.5: Currently, the Gear Menu in-game requires you to Access it with Down on D-pad, then use the Left Stick to highlight the item, and use Context Action to select the item required, rather than the prior Right Stick and A.

Inventory

Here, it is possible to Tab Menu, and select items with the controller. It is not, however, possible to sell the selected items through the controller, nor is it possible to use it to Buy Slots. This does have a functional Y 'sort' menu though.

Update 15.5: looks much better, but the standing problem of being unable to confirm sale or purchase slots remains.

Decorate Liset

Shiny new menu, this is generally unco-operative with controllers. Granted I lack plat and interest in Noggleheads so I can't say how the Controller handles for placing them, but as far as colouring the Liset goes, mouse required.

At least I can be pretty.

Clan, Friends and Inbox

The Clan Menu can only be interacted with for the Clan Management function.

Friends menu cannot be interacted with in any capacity by a controller.

Inbox items can be highlighted and viewed only, but no further actions can be taken.

This menu can be entered, but cannot be tabbed to different pages. Y opens a non responsive Sort menu where applicable, and categories cannot be tabbed. Items cannot be highlighted by directional input either. Stats page does not scroll with any controller input.

On the bright side: All of the listed menus, be they partial or what I deem 'Complete' are able to be exited via the controller using B. So there's something.

I hope that this information is being put in the right place. I do apologise for the long post, however, so I hope the given formatting is sufficient.

You've helped us out a lot by adding Colourblind support to Lockers, so hoping that you'll be able to help out with everything I've recorded here.

Happy hunting

Update: amended details for Mods interface, added comments on the Gear menu. 27/11/2014

Update 15.5: added details concerning changes to standing interfaces, added Decorate Liset menu observations.

Edited by Blakrana