Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

These Nerfs Have Spawned An Idea For A New Mechanic!

Jin_Lightning

I always wondered why some of these superpowered abilities are hit so hard by nerfs. This change to Mag, Excalibur, and Trinity have actually provided the answer.

Cooldowns on ultimates.

The perfect way to balance these mega abilities, without changing how they work.

This is mostly aimed at the ultimates, but some other abilities, like Energy Vampire have shown immense potential for a cheaper casting cost.

So here's what I propose, DE. Make ultimates have cooldowns!

This would limit nuking capability, enforce teamwork with players so people don't set off 2 ultimates at the same time, and it would mean you don't have to change how these strong abilities work!

I'd love to hear feedback on this idea!

-Jin

Edited by Jin_Lightning

Nope, some ults require constant casting. without ult they`ll have to change weapons or other abilities to do mo damage or to be at least somehow viable in endgame.

Nova with 30 sec cooldown on MPrime? Ar u serious, pal? Can you imagine a sht storm, that will cause that?

No and no and... mmmhh... no.

This is no strategical game, this is no team work game, this is not PvP game, this game does not need such mechanic.

I can understand, but it's only for certain abilities is all. For example, Molecular Prime would have a cooldown, but when it IS on cooldown, Nova can use Antimatter Drop to keep dealing out massive damage, saving Molecular Prime for a real problem.

It would promote more creative uses of other abilities, overshadowed by ultimates, nothing more.

-Jin

Edited by Jin_Lightning

Would make sense too, since I doubt even super future frames of @$$ destruction could spam some of the ultimate the frames, as apposed to bull line of site reasons which don't make sense at all for some of them (looking at you Mag).

Would also help balance some of the severely OP ultimates, and not just the ones already nerfed.

(Even though I love using her, I'm looking at you Valkyr and your endless cycle of indestructible PMS)

Nope, some ults require constant casting. without ult they`ll have to change weapons or other abilities to do mo damage or to be at least somehow viable in endgame.

Nova with 30 sec cooldown on MPrime? Ar u serious, pal? Can you imagine a sht storm, that will cause that?

I never said 30 seconds, but just a small downtime to prevent the infamous spamming. Hell, even 7 seconds is perfectly fine, no more than 10.

-Jin

10 seconds max feels fine. Any more and it´s stupid (cooldown starts at the end of abilities duration).

Exactly, you read my mind. Nothing ridiculous, but just enough to promote more active play. Spamming 4 isn't fun, no idea why so many people do it...

It would also be different from ability to ability. 

For example, Radial Javelin would have a 7 second cooldown, while a stronger and more utility-based ultimate like Rhino Stomp would have 10 seconds.

-Jin

Edited by Jin_Lightning

If it is paired with removing blue energy balls, i will erect a monument to this idea.

I had that idea a long time ago, but no one seemed to like it. It was where energy as a mechanic was removed, and it was completely replaced by cooldowns. Streamline would reduce cooldowns, and so on. I thought it was good, but no one else shared that, so I buried it.

Cooldowns on these super abilities makes sense, but I still think energy is a decent mechanic. Not perfect, but it gets the job done.

-Jin

Cooldowns should be a good thing for the game as it is right now. This will kill one of the principal problems of the game which is the fact of seeing thousand of players rushing the map and spamming 4 like no tomorrow, after this we need a completely removal of the Coptering which is broken as hell but NO ONE is gonna say that and we're gonna get a good game where teamwork is something instead of this Ultimate-Rushing Fest that is Warframe right now.

Because they like it maybe ? Fun is a rather subjective term you know.

Other than that i don't really see how cooldowns would improve the game other than limit long runs on endless missions.

That is very true. I do see both sides of the coin, but I think this would be a better way.

To your second point, it would eliminate teh need for these nerfs to ever happen in the first place. Keep the power, but limit the spam.

-Jin

To your second point, it would eliminate teh need for these nerfs to ever happen in the first place. Keep the power, but limit the spam.

-Jin

But is the high reliance on powers something that needs to go?

I always thought it's something that seperates warframe from the likes of halo and mass effect.

Also you'd have to rebalance frames whose survival is intertwined to power spam.

But is the high reliance on powers something that needs to go?

I always thought it's something that seperates warframe from the likes of halo and mass effect.

Also you'd have to rebalance frames whose survival is intertwined to power spam.

Rebalancing of course would follow. Other abilities that don't really have anything going for them would need to be looked at and brought up to standards. Maybe given more utility, or interesting ways to do damage, instead of being pure direct.

Not all abilities would have cooldowns, just ultimates.

-Jin

Rebalancing of course would follow. Other abilities that don't really have anything going for them would need to be looked at and brought up to standards. Maybe given more utility, or interesting ways to do damage, instead of being pure direct.

Not all abilities would have cooldowns, just ultimates.

-Jin

Personally, I think a complete mod nerf would be better. Mods need to be a minor effect rather than a major effect because with the major effects and the omega ranges and damages that they give, Viver outbreak pops out. It's not impossible and not improbable to happen due to mods shifting the balance of power in abilities way more than they should have.

On the side note, this also means that enemies needs to be nerfed as well so their stats don't differ too much between level 5 and level 35 or it will turn this game into a cover-based shooter. Could make some interesting tweaks too for each races (since they did say that Grineers are all melted down Grineers split into two so maybe it can fit).

Edited by matrixEXO

I support this.  Many frames already have decent crowd control abilities without their ultimates.  Some examples would be Volt with his 1 or Valkyr with her 2 and 3.  They are effective but not overly OP that you can just brainlessly spam them.

Power spam is one of the reasons I mostly play solo now unless I'm with friends.  The game is just no fun when you just smash your keyboard and everything dies.

Unless I'm playing solo or with friends, "How to Play Warframe" can be summed up in just a few steps.

1:  Shift + W

2.  Press C

3.  Left click on enemy.

4.  Press 44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

While it can be fun, it makes the game incredibly stale as you can just mash 4 all the time.  Most of the time you don't even need any other abilities and can just mash 4 everywhere.  The only exception would be probably Rhino because "lol Iron Skin I'm unkillable".  Many of the frames have very interesting utilities in their abilities but they are never used because "lol 4 spam" trumps all.

Edited by Kokurokoki