Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn: Design Analysis And Critique

StereoTypo

Saryn is an interesting addition to the WARFRAME collection, and the design is interesting departure from earlier frames. With a Technocyte-spin on the femme fatale, (in this case she's literally lethally-poisonous), the character design is unique and complements the rest of the frames nicely. So why am I posting this then? To share my praise and criticism of just one small component of this beautifully designed game.

In the interest of transparency, I was prompted to make this post after the April 24th Warframe Developer Livestream, in which Mynki posted an image of Saryn's concept art, as I was intrigued by the changes that the Saryn design had been through. Some of the discrepancies between the concept and the current in-game model are the result of both the evolution of the design and the process of translating the concept into an actual 3D model, (compatible with universal frame animations). Here is both the concept, as seen in the livestream, and the promotional release render: Ozz19dC.jpg

The biggest differences are fairly obvious and, with the exception of the abdomen, chest, neck and head. very little of the original concept’s feeling remains. The three biggest additions are the boots, the organic appearance of her leg and of course the “petal”-like stole / pauldrons on her shoulders. 

When I see the original concept, I get the sense of an arachnid, from the web like translucent wrap hanging from her hips and the wisps coming from the gloves. The shape and length of the head, despite its rougher texture is evocative of H.R. Giger’s elongate forms while the sharp thigh plate forms a sleek sharp barb. Adding to the danger, the porous shoulder appears to be an infectious or toxic biohazard. Overall, the impression of a dangerous, predatory space ninja is well conveyed.

Despite this, the concept frame does not advertise it’s ability-type clearly, which has been addressed by improvements made in the 3D model. The tumor-like growth of the thigh-plate and, to a lesser effect, the pustules on the gauntlets scream, “BIOHAZARD“.  

dTQZiAq.jpg

There are other neat details in the in-game model as well. Some good examples are the interesting segmentation found in the thigh-plate is echoed on the plates of the upper arm, (curiously, this detail is more flower-petal like than the large “petal” shoulders), the gauntlets with their asparagus-like scales give an both plant and animal cues and the back of the boots give a combined appearance of exhaust vents, scales and laces, (Which makes for a very cool look). Other things, however, are not as cool.

There are things I like about the in-game model but, in my humble opinion, there are several missed opportunities and a couple missteps too.

vFCXuzY.jpg

Saryn is a space ninja, in heels, (need I say more?). Now there is nothing wrong with heels, normally, but because of the fact that all frames share the same animations, there are likely proportional limits for the characters. This becomes a problem as the high-heel in combination with the wider hips and tumorous thigh have squashed Saryn’s leg proportions, making her lower half appear to be squat and stocky. 

Whereas the concept had legs that appeared to be cohesive, the bulky growth on the 3D model is like a bulbous add-on, (this is not helped by the fact that it does not wrap around the entire leg), tacked onto a pair of metallic, inorganic legs. The legs of the concept, while different from the main body, do not stand in stark contrast to the textures and forms on the rest of the body. This same problem occurs with the nodules on the gauntlets, which despite being thematically appropriate, the even spacing and colour seem to be at odds with the organic scales on the very same surface.

The membranous wrap did not translate well from 2D and seems to stiffly float on the model, appearing a lot less creepy / organic as a result. Additionally, this material has been lost from the gauntlets, which reduces the overall cohesiveness of the frame. This would be a far more interesting feature for the design if it could have that stretchy, cobweb/sinew/membrane-like appearance in game. 

Finally, creating a unique and identifiable character silhouette is important, (Saryn definitely differs from the rest), but it seems that Saryn has been bulked-up to fill a certain role. The over-sized and slightly suggestive “lips” on her shoulders gives the impression of a bulkier character. I am wagering a guess but I think it’s likely that Sayrn’s chest had to be “augmented” in order to counterbalance the massive folds resting on her clavicles. The concept had an interesting form with the fibrous neck exposed and I feel that the shoulders simply obfuscate rather than enhance Saryn’s design. One of the best things about the original concept is the asymmetry. Unlike the Loki, which has one side bigger than the other, the Saryn concept has opposite shoulder-thigh details which highlights the variation within the one frame without being jarring. The thigh’s fibrous, almost mineral like texture paralells the left forearm and the back of the neck, while the head, right-forearm and hips are tied together by plated and web-like details.

To summarize, I feel the 3D model currently lacks some of the polish that can be found in the concept art; the heels, leg texture, hip-wrap, arm-boils and shoulder-lips might deserve some adjustment to fully embody that poison-wielding space-ninja lady, (lady-ninja?), aesthetic.

What do you think? If you agree or disagree or just don’t understand what I’m rambling on about, feel free to comment below.

Edited by StereoTypo

Agreed. My biggest gripe is that Saryn gives the impression of one of those old ladies dressed in possum furs... the exaggerated "petals" around her neck and her hip shawl in contrast to what looks like a corset around her waist; and her thrifted 60s heels...

Or when coloured (in)correctly, makes her look like, for a lack of a better word, a floppy vagina.

Edited by CloudPies

I like the thigh tumor and bone "cuff" on the shoulders even if it is ummm... vulvic, but I agree she could use some work.

My theory for her inorganic leg armor and high heels is that she was something else before alien space cancer grew a Warframe from her flesh, and has since fused with her old armor.