November 21St: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

Community Hot Topics  

1,898 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Red and White Elephant in the Room

We’ve been listening to all the feedback on the new forum theme, and we understand that many of you are not happy about the brighter red and white layout. As proud Canadians, we didn’t even think twice about a little (a lot) of red and white! However, we do have plans to continue to improve on the forums and make some changes that help alleviate some of the common complaints. We will not be returning to a dark theme, but we will adjust the forum theme to look more in sync with the new website design. If you’re adamantly against a lighter theme, custom CSS or the Dark Theme will be your best options. In the coming weeks, there will be a variant theme added to the “change theme” link at the bottom left of the forums. We’ll aim to keep most of the Red Text for in-game, and in the meantime, some of the source threads have some interesting custom CSS that anyone can use, and it applies to new, old, or any future themes. 

Source threads:

Hardcore Mode

This is fun topic (or maybe not so fun, if you don’t like the idea). Rockscl suggests that players should have the option to select a “hardcore” mode when building a Warframe. Would you play a hardcore mode that meant your Warframe would be destroyed if you died? This hot topic seems to have polarized players in the thread. What do you think? Can you think of other interest types of “Hardcore” modes that would be fun in Warframe? Share your ideas and vote in the poll!

Source thread:

Mission Disconnects

Many of the topics we cover in our Community Hot Topics are about players ideas or feedback. However, we do spend a lot of time reading through bug threads, and this topic addresses one bug in particular. The source thread for this topic is about mission disconnects and requests some means of regaining connection after getting the boot. Do you think this is a necessary feature? Answer in the poll to let us know how often you get disconnected during a mission. 

Source thread:

Stealth Hiding

Stealth is often a hot topic in the Warframe Community. Some maps and Warframes are more conducive to stealth play, but the majority of missions are mostly run-and-gun. Aspari has a hot topic that suggests Warframe include a more dynamic “hide” feature that would allow Tenno to escape into the shadows and sneak up on enemies better. What do you think, sneaky Tenno? Should stealth be upgraded with a “hide” feature? What other kinds of stealth features would you like to see implemented? 

Source thread:

Syndicate Weapons

Now that Syndicates have arrived on consoles, we should talk a little about their incentives. XaelathRavenstorm has a hot topic on Syndicate rewards and suggests several weapon types that the Syndicates could give to loyal Tenno as rewards. Do you like the idea of syndicate specific weapons as rewards? Can you think of any other syndicate rewards that would be cool? What’s your favorite syndicate reward that you’ve received so far?

Source thread:

About the Syndicate specific weapons being traded;

The Syndicate specific parts/blueprints should be tradable, while some untradable requirements still tied to the Syndicate system should also have to be met.

Alternative acquisition methods (still Syndicate related) would also be acceptale.

e.g.; Each Syndicate sells their own weapon blueprints, and the blueprints (reusable?) for 'Syndicate resources' (all of them, no trading needed here), similar to Fieldrons or Detonite Injectors. Rival Syndicate deathsquads also drop their faction's weapon blueprints, and they can be built using the resources purchased from your own Syndicate.

Edited by Kthal

Hardcore mode

More challenge is nice, but permadeth is a bad idea, perhaps instead of adding a hardcore mode, we could focus on improving nightmare mode to make it more enjoyable and challenging, but at the same time more rewarding. Besides, it would be a shame to collect resources, craft a frame, and rank it up, only to accidentally die somehow (perhaps when you're lagging and get killed because of a bad host?) and have to reinvest all that time into recreating the warframe.

Forums new look!

5Zadpx9.png

Perhaps softer colours would have been better options, I like the theme, but its a heavy strain on the eyes, I haven't been able to sit more than ten minutes without refocusing somewhere else,  the patriotism is admirable, but perhaps a  more greyed colour would have been better.for those of us who spend hours on here >.>

Hiding

While it sounds nice, it would slow down gameplay, by  a lot tbh, I've been messing around with stealth in missions now, and it takes at least 20 whole seconds usually for aware enemies to lose awareness of us. Not to mention most if not all weapons make noise that can be heard be enemies, even when we have hush / silence on.

Again, improvement of our current game mechanics > than creating new stuff. Allow certain weapons to have built in silence, particularly snipers, it is kinda silly to shoot an enemy from halfway across the tile, then have all their allies rush to the location from whence you shot. Give shade a larger detection range and allow shade to cloak you if you make a stealth kill. Hiding spots wouldn't flow well with fast paced gameplay. Wallrunning and parkour should allow you to

Most importantly, have a UI feature that allow us to see how aware the enemy are of us, perhaps similar to either the ones in Prototype or Dishonored

Prototype UI

pzr9ok1.png

The bar on the right goes up if you do something suspicious/ kill an enemy, if it is full you have been compromised, and enemies shoot at you, but escaping to another area will allow you to remain uncompromised

Dishonored UI

Couldn't get a proper photo, but basically an awareness meter around each enemies head that tells you how aware they are that something is up

Syndicate weapons

As long as they are tradeable, we have enough people who consider themselves "leet" for owning certain event items etc, founders are usually nice about this, but we don't need more "You picked wrong so F U u dont git to have this stuff"

Having a player have to choose a syndicate now, simply to be locked out of future content is a very, VERY bad idea, because it is punishing players for making choices when they did not have a chance o look at all the options

Also, that way (with trading) I can share the fun with buddies who have another syndicate, and as added challenge, perhaps these weapons would require you to reach a rank 6 or 7? They should surely take more time to get but be worth it, maybe even with built in cc mods eh? 

Edited by Somedude1000

About the Syndicate specific weapons being traded;

The Syndicate specific parts should be tradable, while some untradable requirements still tied to the Syndicate system should also have to be met.

that would beat the purpose of making them tradable, making them tradable means you don't need to ruin your reputation with one syndicate just for one reward.

that would beat the purpose of making them tradable, making them tradable means you don't need to ruin your reputation with one syndicate just for one reward.

Syndicates are meant to be rewarding for players in the long term, and having a fully tradable reward would mean that people would just buy and sell them, bypassing the 'earned reward' mechanic altogether.

I also want the weapons to be good (not great), and interesting, and don't want to have to put up with more of the 'MR2 = time to buy a Boltor Prime' fiasco.

Hardcore mode reminds me of the flaws in Nightmare mode and Tactical Alerts, some Warframes become useless with certain debuffs, combined with certain mission type and it becomes impossible to win, people end up with having choice but to go with physical toughness. So I have doubts about the balance ._.

Stealth is okay as it is but relatively time-consuming and very unrewarding. Fancy hiding interaction won't fix those.

Syndicate specific Warframes/Weapons would be an excellent implementation, but bear in mind the makers of the gear.

For example, the highly offensive Red Veil weapons, the 'in your face' weapons of the Steel Meridian, the energy weapons of The Perrin Sequence...

And I think the Arbiters should lean towards melee, or unusual weapon styles, such as crossbows or sniper rifles. They seem to be the kind of people who want to stand out, be unique.

Syndicates are meant to be rewarding for players in the long term, and having a fully tradable reward would mean that people would just buy and sell them, bypassing the 'earned reward' mechanic altogether.

I also want the weapons to be good (not great), and interesting, and don't want to have to put up with more of the 'MR2 = time to buy a Boltor Prime' fiasco.

What you are suggesting will lock out players who have already chosen the sydicates they want, i.e., We may have chosen red veil but wait, arbiters gets the best syndicate gun! In which case, our choice in the past is punished by being locked out of the games best content

My suggestion would be that in order to trade for this parts, you not only have to be at the rank that the wep is given out (if the weapon parts are obainable at rank 4, both players have to be rank f4 or higher to reade) and, you must sacrifice a certain amount of standing from your own syndicate bar to trade each item, which should be a lot (25-30k and up)

Edited by Somedude1000

Would you play a “hardcore” mode in Warframe?
1. Yes!

2. No!

3. Maybe, depends on the restrictions.

4. No opinion on this topic.

There should be another answer:

5. Maybe, depends on rewards.

I think it's natural, that high risk should mean high reward. If it's "hardcore for no reason" I wouldn't play it. But for some unique mods/weapons/ability augments/cosmetics I would try it for sure.

Syndicate Weapons
Now that Syndicates have arrived on consoles, we should talk a little about their incentives. XaelathRavenstorm has a hot topic on Syndicate rewards and suggests several weapon types that the Syndicates could give to loyal Tenno as rewards. Do you like the idea of syndicate specific weapons as rewards? Can you think of any other syndicate rewards that would be cool? What’s your favorite syndicate reward that you’ve received so far?

And about Syndicate weapons. I would gladly welcome more Syndicate rewards, but for the sake of completionism please make them tradeable. If they are not, then Syndicates would be such a pain for players who are going to collect everything possible.

And if you are gonna make them untradable, then at least make parts of these weapons dropable from death squads.

Edited by AlienOvermind

What you are suggesting will lock out players who have already chosen the sydicates they want, i.e., We may have chosen red veil but wait, arbiters gets the best syndicate gun! In which case, our choice in the past is punished by being locked out of the games best content

My suggestion would be that in order to trade for this parts, you not only have to be at the rank that the wep is given out (if the weapon parts are obainable at rank 4, both players have to be rank f4 or higher to reade) and, you must sacrifice a certain amount of standing from your own syndicate bar to trade each item, which should be a lot (25-30k and up)

This could work, it would get complaints, but it is fair.

What I am trying to suggest, albeit with difficulty in wording, is that each Syndicate sells unique blueprints which are freely tradeable, and that each weapon requires 3 common parts, so all Syndicates sell all parts.

Imagine if the Detron and Brakk were separate blueprints, but shared the receiver/barrel/stock. That is similar to what I am suggesting.

This could work, it would get complaints, but it is fair.

What I am trying to suggest, albeit with difficulty in wording, is that each Syndicate sells unique blueprints which are freely tradeable, and that each weapon requires 3 common parts, so all Syndicates sell all parts.

Imagine if the Detron and Brakk were separate blueprints, but shared the receiver/barrel/stock. That is similar to what I am suggesting.

Aah I think I get the gist of it, that's actually an awesome idea too!

Of course the parts can be obtained from any syndicate and that would be a way simpler and more effectivesystem than my suggestion 

Edited by Somedude1000

Something I have to ask:

People with red colorblindness describe red as being a shade of gray, but "not gray", when I've spoken to them--they can tell the difference, but it's hard.

Gray text on white background is one of the most-difficult to read options, so, for them, the hellfire theme seems like it would be nearly illegible.

I haven't been seeking to see how many people think that, but it does seem like they'd be virtually unable to read the default forum version at all.

Hardcore mode:  Absolutely not.  I would personally not use it, and I think it is a poor idea for Warframe.  If you aren't feeling challenged enough, there are various ways to increase the difficulty within the game.  I think the people that would be in favor of it would cry for it to be incentivized with better rewards, which means the rest of us would be forced to play that mode if we wanted those rewards/boosts.  I don't think it is a smart choice for Warframe.

Disconnecting

"How often do i disconnect?"

Not often, but enough to be a problem.

More than once I have had someone DC 5 minutes before we finish and sometimes as we are heading towards extraction, unable to reinvite them, they miss out on any and all rewards they would have got, sometimes costing them an alert.

I know there has been a reinvite exploit back when vaults were introduced, and a good way to prevent this from happening is that after the usual cutoff time, the player needs to have the exact same loadout as they did when disconnecting, and must rejoin within X amount of time (long enough to restart in case of a crash) before being locked out till mission finish

This means revives must match, gear, weapons, mods, etc. And not have them stay out of the mission long so they aren't carried a further 20 minutes through a survival if they can't keep up.

This would help alleviate the frustration of dropping from a 30 minute survival, losing everything. While still keeping the system from being exploited (hopefully)

Stealth

Regarding stealth, in my opinion, hiding isn't the right way to go. How the AI reacts when noticing your presence is the core of any stealth game, and warframe is very lacking in that regard.

Right now, if a single enemy catches you in the corner of their eye, the other guy in the far corner of the room instantly knows you are there too. 

Even if I kill an enemy before the animation to lift their weapon finishes, I have cut them down, no noise, no gun fire, but everyone still knows I'm there.

There needs to be stages in awareness.

Unaware: They just walk around on patrol, just like normal

Passive Suspicion: The enemy might hear a faint noise with no visual, or a dark shadow in the distance.

In this stage they will keep their gun lowered and will investigate what the heard or saw

Active Suspicion: The enemy sees something that is a potential threat, or heard a gunshot in the distance with no idea of what caused it.

In this stage they will call out and alert all other enemies in the room. They do not lower from this alarm stage, and will actively be searching with guns raised and ready.

Discovery: The enemy will raise the alarm for combat, but the time it takes from this depends on the level of suspicion.

Unaware they might freak out for a split second, as you would with a warframe appearing out of nowhere, before raising the alarm and shooting.

'Passive' discovery would take the time it does to yell, or aim their weapon and shoot at you

'Active' takes no time at all to start firing at you, as they already have their gun raised, alerting everyone in the room to your location

Fit timing to what you would for that situation. Just with this I feel it would greatly improve stealth instead of every enemy having a psychic link, eagle eyes, and instant reaction times.

This is all my personal opinion when it comes to attempting stealth missions.

Oh yea, and watching your friend get shot in the head next to you classifies as "active suspicion"

Edited by cam-o-flage20

Hardcore Mode:

Hardcore mode is not a good idea because that means yet more content in the game will be ignored as this new mode will eclipse it. What about giving nightmare mode and other mission types more incentive?

Hide Mechanics: Stealth does need refinement for certain warframes such as Banshee who are advertised to be stealthy, but are not since they are unable to be invisible. In general, invisibility cloaks are currently the only way players can really enjoy stealth for the majority of mission types.

Syndicate Weapons: All fun and good so long as they are not too terribly hard to obtain compared to syndicate mods. Allowing them to be traded would also help in keeping certain syndicates from ballooning in player population because their weapons look more appealing.

Edit: More Word on Hardcore Mode

After further thinking, it really is an awful idea. Just the thought of losing your warframe and/or weapons would make players go with the most dependable yet cheapest to replace options, to the point where we would see massive repitition in how the game is played.

Remember how months ago, every warframe seen in missions was only Nova or Rhino? Almost every player marked for hardcore mode would probably be Rhino or Valkyr. The best way not to lose your warframe is to simply use a sturdy one where incapacitation isn't as much of a problem, and therefore death would be rare. If players lost weapons too, I'd see very little past Soma since it's easy to use and comes with two offensive polarities. If players lose mods too, the community outrage would be massive. The only way players would tolerate that would be to have a spare disposable rifle loaded with rank 6 Serration and Heavy Calibur, or something else of similarly disposable nature.

Either way, the punishment wouldn't be worth it to the game regardless of the reward incentive, because such paranoia would be killing the game's fun in the first place. Anger would rise to Digital Extremes because UI bugs and connection issues would kill players and make them angry. Players would blame each other for a hardcore mode wipe out, and it would happen constantly. I can hardly ever see this as a good idea. I'm irritated this is even a community hot topics point, there's gotta be hundreds of other more worthwhile subjects to aim our feedback towards.

Edited by MechaKnight

On the matter of a hide mechanic: It seems like a good idea. I like to do stealth missions sometimes, but usually don't bother. It's more fun (and more challenging) in a group, and groups... tend to not want to do stealth. Someone else earlier said that it slows down the game, but, well, if you're committed to a stealth run that's a non-factor.

However, I voted no on this, because if I'm being honest, while it's a step in the right direction, just adding the one mechanic is not going to suddenly make me want to do stealth a lot more. It'll just make it easier when I chose to do it. I think the main problem with stealth for a large majority of the playerbase is, it's just not rewarding enough. There's no game-provided incentive to do stealth, and in fact there is incentive to not do stealth. You get much more mods and much more XP for doing run n' gun, which, while always being inherent in the game since I started playing, has recently been compounded by the Syndicate system and it's reliance on XP gain for Rep gain.

The only thing that's really going to make stealth play appealing to the majority of players is to make it at least as rewarding as standard gameplay. Give a big fat XP bonus for completing the mission without being detected. Make sure it's not just awarded for completing the game with alert levels at 0, because that can easily be exploited by just resetting the alarms before leaving the ship.

Perhaps award special mods for successfully completing a stealth run, and have them only awarded through stealth play. And while it's great to have stealth play award stealth mods (decrease detection range, buff stealth damage, increase movespeed while crouched...), make sure to have ones that benefit non-stealth play as well, otherwise you'll end up with the same issue of the majority not being at all interested in stealth.

Do those things alongside improved stealth mechanics, and that will get people to do stealth play more. If necessary, do it piecemeal, but bear in mind that doing just one of these will probably not get people to play stealth more often. The change to stealth needs to cover both mechanics and rewards, else it will not be worth it to most players.

The Red and White Elephant in the Room

Pretty sure you guys designed this website on your brightly lit offices so your eyes had no problem with it. But you forget that us game nerds dwell in dark caves where this new color scheme explodes. If you want these colors to be your theme colors.... fine, but offer the option to have darker colors or else you basically wasted time and money as folks are just going to adjust the website to fit their needs negating the new look. I already did it.

Hardcore Mode

I have been mentioning this for a very long time since you folks lean towards the general audience when it comes to balance and tune everything down. 

There needs to be a difficulty setting in this game because outside of survival/defense type missions the game is easy. The defense type missions are the only challenge and those get boring because it's simply doing the same thing over and over. Being able to do a difficult extermination or sabotage would be awesome and break the monotony.

Stealth Hiding

We need stealth missions. That's it. That's all.
Adding more and more mechanics to missions where stealth does little....well... does little to help stealth in the game.
You just added flying missions so why not have all stealth missions where the goal IS to stay hidden?
If you want to look inspiration for team stealth mission look for the Splinter Cell co-op play.

Syndicate Weapons

Nope. People are just going to complain that X weapons is better than Y and all that this is going to do is have people all run to the syndicate that has the better weapon. And so you dont fall into that trap what you are going to do is just dump the same weapon in all the syndicates which destroys the concept of each syndicate being different.

Just stick to what Steve said a long time ago with special cosmetics. Each syndicate has their own syandana and since each syndicate has their favorite frames have each give an alternate helmet for those frames.

You, basically, already tried this with the weapon mods so use that data and see what this tells you. Do the syndicates with the mods for weapons that are considered good by the min\maxers have the biggest population?

Oh, and do syndicate lore missions. These groups need some fleshing out because some are basically nothing but some generic copy/paste trope or some extreme goofiness.
Edited by Mak_Gohae

Hardcore mode, in a game where you can fall through the floor into infinity and die through no fault of your own?

Yes give me some of that!

If we ever want DE to fix stuff, perhaps we need to stop insanity like this, we are as responsible as them for all the focus on new shiny stuff rather than core improvements.

Edited by Egg_Chen

The another thing with the new website look: on tablet devices the "download warframe" button takes a lot of space, and therefore the browser layout engine resizes the important column(s) almost to half screen size.

The other problem with the bright theme is that I often reading it on a mobil device before sleeping, in a dark room. It is really important to have a more dim layout for scenarios like that (we have to do the same thing in the navigation software what we are doing - and it is an industry leading one).