Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ultra-Wide Resolution Ui Issues

egregiousRac

Warframe has 5 options that you can use to set aspect ratio: Auto, 4:3, 16:9, 16:10, and 21:9. When set to auto, the game's camera reacts beautifully. You can resize the screen to whatever you want and the view adjusts in a Hor+ fashion (where the view gets wider, as opposed to the more common Vert- method that loses view space on wider screens).

The UI on the other hand does not react well because it does not adjust to match the aspect ratio.

As will be shown in the following screenshots, the diagenic UI reacts as it should. It maintains shape and works fine. Problems arise with any elements that are rendered directly to the screen, bypassing the camera.

These screenshots were taken at 1847:556 or thereabouts, which is far wider than the widest available ratio of 21:9 (computes out to 3.322 versus 2.333).

Screenshots:

46z.png

The Escape menu. You can see that it reacts mostly as it should (though the dark background has not expanded to fill the extra width of the screen). The chat and exit button on the other hand are quite stretched.

470.png

The ingame UI. Not only is everything stretched, if you look closely you will notice that the icon for the hack terminal is floating on the wrong side of the screen. All elements that are supposed to track something in the gamespace are misaligned.

472.png

If you resize the window while ingame, everything is broken until the end of the mission.

474.png

The end of mission screen is stretched as well. Something I failed to screenshot is that the particle effect of blue circles that appears on the XP bars as they increase instead all appear centered in the top-left corner of the screen (0,0).

476.png

47d.png

All character portraits are totally broken. They are stretched far outside of their display area.

The solution to all of this is to make ui elements be placed based on the edges of the screen, not as a raster overlay that is stretched to the screen.

As has been said before, if you are making a UI in a vector format, use vector elements and make things dynamic. Raster designs continue to cause more problems than they are worth.

• 1 month later...

I love the UI (when it works). It looks cool, and flows nicely. However, they didn't even think of people who use high end hardware or non-standard aspect ratios, it seems.

Anything besides standard aspect ratio, or over 1080p at any ratio for that matter, looks incorrectly scaled and poorly placed.

Awesome suggestions and screenshots.

I love the UI (when it works). It looks cool, and flows nicely. However, they didn't even think of people who use high end hardware or non-standard aspect ratios, it seems.

Anything besides standard aspect ratio, or over 1080p at any ratio for that matter, looks incorrectly scaled and poorly placed.

Awesome suggestions and screenshots.

Yeah, design wise I really like the UI's of Warframe. The UI just has so many technical issues when in a non-standard setup.

Yesterday I was doing a T2 Defence while using a window similar to the setup I screenshotted above (watching Star Wars Despecialized Edition on the bottom half of my screen) and it was taking me around ten seconds to figure out where my allies were when they went down within five meters of me. The fallen ally icon was in totally the wrong spot on the screen, so it was just making things more difficult.

Edited by egregiousRac

I'll chime in here as well, I have the same UI issues running 21:9 3440x1440. (LG 34UM95 monitor, for those wondering)

It's not as pronounced of an issue as described above, but locating things via waypoint or target indicator can be frustrating since the waypoint/indicator doesn't appear in the correct location on screen unless you're looking DIRECTLY at where it's supposed to be.  Archwing is particularly difficult with this issue since your target indicator isn't actually over your target unless you're looking directly at it, and in 3d space that's completely disorienting.

Additionally, since making the move to 21:9 from 16:9/1080p I haven't seen the popup that tells me how many medallions are left to find in a syndicate mission after I pick one up, or the capture percentage when capping a point in interception missions.

I think if these issues were fixed, I'd honestly be pretty hard pressed to find something worth complaining about at this time.

• 4 weeks later...

Gonna go ahead an bump this.

Recently got my own 3440 x 1440 monitor and have been loving it.

Quite a few UI elements though seems stretched quite a bit...

Off the top of my head, the loadout screen is completely stretched out.

FOV should be able to be adjusted further as well. Certain areas feel..."squished" due to the camera appearing so close.

Here's hoping for some fixes!

Additionally, since making the move to 21:9 from 16:9/1080p I haven't seen the popup that tells me how many medallions are left to find in a syndicate mission after I pick one up, or the capture percentage when capping a point in interception missions.

I'm having the same issue on a 2560 x 1440 monitor 16:9 Aspect Ratio with max HUD Scale.  The interception % and medallion information box moves vertically upward off the top of the screen as you increase the HUD Scale.

I haven't noticed other information boxes behaving this way but I would prefer to be able to max out the the HUD Scale as your health and shields can appear quite small at high resolutions.

Thanks for all the hard work y'all put into these fixes I hope this one will be able to be resolved soon!

Gonna go ahead an bump this.

Recently got my own 3440 x 1440 monitor and have been loving it.

Quite a few UI elements though seems stretched quite a bit...

Off the top of my head, the loadout screen is completely stretched out.

FOV should be able to be adjusted further as well. Certain areas feel..."squished" due to the camera appearing so close.

Here's hoping for some fixes!

If you're running fullscreen, Warframe may have defaulted to running 1920x1080 fullscreen which absolutely will stretch everything out trying to cover your screen.  Try running it in borderless fullscreen instead, that allowed me to run Warframe in 3440x1440 instead of a stretched 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 which looked fine aside from the thick black bars on each side.  That being said, for 3440x1440 I have my FOV turned up to like 90% of the bar in the options, whatever that value happens to be.

I'm having the same issue on a 2560 x 1440 monitor 16:9 Aspect Ratio with max HUD Scale.  The interception % and medallion information box moves vertically upward off the top of the screen as you increase the HUD Scale.

I haven't noticed other information boxes behaving this way but I would prefer to be able to max out the the HUD Scale as your health and shields can appear quite small at high resolutions.

Thanks for all the hard work y'all put into these fixes I hope this one will be able to be resolved soon!

So thaaaaaaat's where they went.  I think I have my HUD scale close to if not maxed out, then moved in from the edges simply because it would otherwise be difficult to read quickly during a game.

If you're running fullscreen, Warframe may have defaulted to running 1920x1080 fullscreen which absolutely will stretch everything out trying to cover your screen.  Try running it in borderless fullscreen instead, that allowed me to run Warframe in 3440x1440 instead of a stretched 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 which looked fine aside from the thick black bars on each side.  That being said, for 3440x1440 I have my FOV turned up to like 90% of the bar in the options, whatever that value happens to be.

So thaaaaaaat's where they went.  I think I have my HUD scale close to if not maxed out, then moved in from the edges simply because it would otherwise be difficult to read quickly during a game.

I always run borderless window mode, even so there's HUD elements that are quite stretched/lower resolution

As for FOV, for 16:9 it's usually 90

21:9 I believe the default is supposed to be 110 or something around that

I always run borderless window mode, even so there's HUD elements that are quite stretched/lower resolution

As for FOV, for 16:9 it's usually 90

21:9 I believe the default is supposed to be 110 or something around that

Do you have your aspect ratio set manually or is it on auto? I was finding from my testing that if it was set to auto it would increase horizontal FOV as the window got wider, but if you had the aspect ratio set manually it would stretch the viewed space making everything look short and squat. Either way, the UI was messed up.

The UI looks lower resolution because it is raster so it is being scaled up if your resolution is higher than it. This is the same reason that certain elements of the UI look garbled at 800x600, as they are being poorly scaled down.

As a side note, FOV numbers don't really mean much because (with it set to Auto) FOV is actually set vertical, not the more common horizontal that most people are used to. This allows the Hor+ functionality that is so nice in Warframe. For more info on this you can read this blog post by one of the developers of Borderlands 2.

Edited by egregiousRac

• 4 weeks later...

Just going to bump this again with a couple screenshots of what I usually see running 3440x1440 with HUD scale maxed out. (finally remembered to take a couple for examples)

This applies to all types of UI indicators - capture points, player set waypoints, enemy target boxes in archwing missions, objective indicators... just about anything that's supposed to float over an object on the HUD, in both normal missions and archwing.

Additionally, I don't see capture percentages or counts for syndicate medallions anymore since those have been established to go off the top of the screen when HUD scale is raised significantly.

As you might imagine, this takes some getting used to in archwing to be able to tell where things are, especially considering the distances we're dealing with in open space... the indicator offset issue just makes it twice as difficult.

Screenshot #1 - looking directly at an indicator (in this case C on the latest archwing tactical alert), it appears where it's supposed to be.  In this screenshot, A and D indicators are offset since I'm looking above them and not directly at their location, meaning they should actually be higher on my screen than they are.  D, in fact, should be higher and to the right of where it is in this screenshot.  All three are at least relatively close to where they should be on the screen here.

VuV0lXR.jpg

Screenshot #2 - looking away from the indicator - I looked to the left in this case and it offsets to the right of where it should be on my screen.  The same holds true if I look any direction around where the indicator should be - it will offset the indicator in the opposite direction of where I look.  Obviously A and D have also moved significantly to the right as well, since I'm now looking to the left of all three capture points.

k8MA5qq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It has been a while...

Sigh...

Yes. I gave up and moved on to other games. At its core, Warframe is a fun game, but since the new UI was introduced, nothing scaled properly. And in some cases, it's not just cosmetics, it's actually game breaking. Steve in a devstream noted that the star chart was getting a revamp. Maybe they'll have a fix in there. But I wouldn't hold out hope.

This, along with the rampant stuttering since they introduced the new "performance updates" (i.e. the engine drops frames) makes it very hard to enjoy the game.

There might still be a good game underneath, but I can't avoid the frustration of the technical issues.

Yes. I gave up and moved on to other games. At its core, Warframe is a fun game, but since the new UI was introduced, nothing scaled properly. And in some cases, it's not just cosmetics, it's actually game breaking. Steve in a devstream noted that the star chart was getting a revamp. Maybe they'll have a fix in there. But I wouldn't hold out hope.

This, along with the rampant stuttering since they introduced the new "performance updates" (i.e. the engine drops frames) makes it very hard to enjoy the game.

There might still be a good game underneath, but I can't avoid the frustration of the technical issues.

Luckily I usually play at a 16/9 aspect ratio, so the only issue I have is misaligned popups on the starchart due to too high of resolution. It is only when I want to do other things at the same time (like watch a movie) that I run it on the top half of my screen, breaking the UI completely.

No performance problems here though.