Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Warframe Idea.... Oni, The Ninja Demon!

HazaRD-WARRIOR

EDITED NEW VERSION-

Ok, waiting for imgur any minute now to open up so I can post a really quick rough concept for Oni. And I mean rough, damn clients always find a way to ruin my personal art-time. Anyway.

Along with this I took the liberty of writing up a back-story and also re-designing the skills. I left the old version and initial post to the bottom of this new addition.

Backstory-

Without an identity to call his own, this frame takes

to the name of a fallen demon from the  nature of how
he came to be.

As an experiment in the labs of the Corpus and Alad V,
this warframe endured heavy experimentation and was
put together by the parts of many Tenno.

Upon rescuing their fellow Tenno from Alad V, including
Valkyr, the Lotus and the Tenno discarded the rest of the
facilities after no readings of any life forms were found.

In time, infested invasions took hold of several of these
locations and in turn also this empty vessel of a body.
He began to form again under these new captives and
become a part of the Hive Mind. As a collective consciousness
of many, the hive mind awoke within this Tenno the residue
of the several fallen Tenno used to create him. These all as
one became his new identity.

The shell started to adapt, and in time, became self aware.

Upon the invasion of a new ship with his new brethren and the
hive mind, this new consciousness took to space with the infested.

His new home once more was decimated from the Tenno again
on yet another mission to be rid of infestation, and he was
once more without a home.

Disconnected from the hive mind, he was able to break free
and form his own consciousness from the dead within him, as
he wandered afloat into the depths of the void, he adapted to
Orikin Origins within the void and transformed into something
anew.

Soon, the Lotus and other Tenno came across him in the deep
pockets of the void and found this experimental warrior.

A broken shell of a collective consciousness, bent on
survival at all costs, filled of hate to the Tenno and their order
for abandoning him.

A demon of the past, his name was born, Oni.

Oni uses his (although not entirely a he) collective skills from the
Tenno and the infested, along with strong will to survive, as a
harvester of life and death.

Life steal and sacrifice are common in his personal traits now.

Upon being found by the Lotus, light was shined on the truh
and Oni was told of his existence and so much more.
Of the Corpus and their experiments, of the infested, and
the Grineer, but not all of his inner traces of hate have left him.

As a result, Oni can tap into the life-source of his surrounding Tenno.

Being now tame and enlightened, Oni uses his powers to determine
the field with sacrificial and life steal traits for his entire team. Further
more, Oni taps into the fellow Tenno to use their abilities and traits to
give more power to himself.

Lastly, being a spectre of the Void for so long, Oni has gained the 
ability of control over gravity. He has grown an immunity to vacuums
(helpful in Survival and other missions) yet remains somewhat weak
against the presence of the hive mind, making his energy levels and
skills somewhat less efficient against infested.

SKILLS-

1) Death Mark-
Oni marks all around him with death.
Allies can deal extra damage at the cost of life
up to 50/45/40/30% of their life when the skill is cast.
Upon the second cast, all allies but Oni gain lifesteal for a portion
of time.
Enemies on the first cast are simply marked. Upon the second
cast, damage inflicted on them while marked is duplictaed and
spread to all remaining enemies in the field.

-After marking enemies with first cast and activating Void Wraith,
Oni can life steal during the Void Wraith form.

2) Void Wraith-
Oni becomes a wraith of the void. He can walk on any surface whilst
attacks penetrate him, reducing all damages to 30% of their potency.
Oni’s life depletes slowly whilst Void Wraith is active.

-Attacking marked enemies gives Oni life steal on those enemies.

3) Torturing Blink-
Oni can teleport to a friendly, enemy or in a direction, for the cost of life.
Oni takes a portion of life from all those in the vicinity he teleports too.
If none are around, Oni sacrifices his own health pool.

-Teleporting to a marked enemy, in Wraith form or during Torment, gives
life back to the allies that attacked that enemy.
-Teleporting to a marked ally or in wraith form or during Torment, negates
the life steal from that ally.

4) Torment-
Oni locks the health of all his allies and his own for a duration of time,
making it impossible for anyone to die. Life is slowly depleted on the entire
team up to that locked minimum,
At the same time, using the energy from all allied Tenno and his own, nearby
enemies are infested with shrouded clouds of death dealing damage.
Upon finishing Torment, all damage dealt through the death clouds heals
that portion of damage as health evenly among all allies under torment.

-Torment and Death Mark grants bonus lifesteal to all.
-Torment whilst in the Wraith form increases the cloud damage of Oni.
-During torment, each skill another Tenno uses adds bonus damage to Oni.

Tips- Oni can use his skills in combination to be more effective and to control
the effects of life-steal and sacrifice better.
Torment can be used to protect allies close to death. Large damage dealth during
Torment can sometimes heal the entire team.
Fallen allies waiting to be revived are “risen from the dead” only for the duration
of Torment.

As a frame, Oni in this form ends up being rather tactical and also a good team-member who is not so shabby on his own either.

Also aims at a little veteran side of things, making his skill combinations to look out for and making the character keep an eye out on health levels and strategies. His healing for example on Torment, instead of simply healing everyone, well added damage kills enemies whilst the idea is the better the team damages the enemy the more health they receive in return. If they fail to meet at least a minimum damage barrier ultimately they end up loosing health, and things like that.

In terms of looks, the parts that could be influenced in Oni's design include Saryn, Excalibur, Ash and Rhino. Add some small corpus experimentation to him, and lastly infested skin and parts (like overgrown palms) and viola, we got our Oni (as you will see in the image I will provide).

Weapon of choice, a Naginata. Yeah, I was meant to draw that in too but ended up simply rushing the character and leaving the rest out.

ioVBaJI.jpg

and finally, imgur is working.

(more black is needed, but that would request more time of me to make the highlights to make it evident, and since I was in a rush I left this colour on)

Surely if this ever floats as an idea the character will need to be better fleshed out. Main design ideas are horns (from Japanese demon characters) the thigh guards (mimicking samurai) the head was meant to be a little more on the samurai side of things too, and ended up more like ash...Anyway, you add anything that is smooth I guess chances are it will look like Ash.

So thats it... The very basic idea to it all and story.

UNEDITED OLD VERSION-

Yeap, not really a feedback topic, although it somewhat is a feedback topic if we take to account my thoughts on the last few Warframes added (mostly Hydroid and Limbo). Which are cool for diversity and variety, but honestly we have a magician and a pirate running around... And with a gunslinger coming up, I wonder when we are going to get another frame that mimics some core ninja elements the way this game started out to be.

Warframes and Ninja Flavour

The frames that are in fact with a ninja flavour to them are few. Ash (as Ninja as it gets), Excalibur, Loki (kinda reminds of a samurai too) and Volt (also reminds of a samurai somewhat)... And that is it. Nyx is debatable, perhaps Frost a little bit too, but not so much.

Then we have Banshee (the Alien Queen from Alien), Ember, Mag, Nova, Valkyr and Trinity (more sci-fi than ninja), Rhino looks like a barbarian, we have a bird/dragonesque Zephir, another Sci-Fi frame in Vauban, a pirate, a necromancer, Diablos' spawn (Oberon), a magician and soon a gunslinger..... More ninja frames. We need them.

ONI - THE NINJA DEMON or DEMON NINJA

So, this is what I propose

A ninja slash samurai frame that can have an origins story to him to bring us a space ninja feel. I actually came up with him 2 minutes ago, and I am making it up as I go.

Name- Oni (nice, short, and as Japanese as it gets).

Looks- Ninja with some samurai elements to him and some added Japanese myth designs.

Purpose/Play-Style- First of all, Limbo crosses over to what a spirit/demon frame should of been. Instead of making him a magician though, they could of made him a spirit/demon. Not to fret though, we can change the purpose and play style of Oni himself to make him a half and half frame (same way Oberon is a partial healer, or large AoE frames are all doing the same thing ultimately however in different ways)

I initially thought of (5 minutes ago now) having a frame with the skill of clinging and walking around on walls... I thought of a name with something to like "Gravity" in it... Then as I wrote this post it evolved to Oni, the Ninja Demon.

The main purpose and play style for Oni will be manoeuvrability and utility. Stats should follow something the likes of high shields, high health, good amount of energy and less armour (perhaps I am thinking of something like Ash, but maybe with a tad more energy and a tad less health... or the same health with a tad less armour.)

As a demon, he uses powers more, he is survivable through both skills and higher life (he is a demon after all) whilst also sacrifices health to perform his skills.

Which brings us to the fun part of it all, coming up with the skills.

Skill 1- Demon Walker

Skill 2- Wraith

Skill 3- Torturing Blink

Skill 4- Torment

1- Demon Walker

Energy cost 25. Energy consumption on use per second (decrease of consumption per rank).

Oni propels himself up to 5m into the aimed direction and walks on walls without any effects of gravity. Any flat surface including ceilings can be walked on as if the are a normal surface. One on a wall, jumping off it treats this new surface as the ground unless jumping on to another surface, allowing Oni to use his surroundings as a means to get wherever he wants.

Activating this skill uses up a first batch of energy and keeps using energy until it is toggled off. Very effective and powerful first skill, but very dangerous making energy deplete easily if not properly used.

edit- this skill can also be used as a means to wall-attack enemies... It needs working on I know.

2- Wraith

Energy cost 50 / 55 / 60 /65. Duration 4 seconds/ 8 seconds/ 12 seconds/ 16 seconds.

Oni enters his wraith form. As a wraith, enemies can see but not harm him except with specific auras and AoE damages (I'm thinking ice mostly and fire being his only weakness in this form but with reduced damages dealt to him, whilst he cannot be knocked down or stunned, or physically moved in any way).

Whilst in wraith form, Oni can attack enemies however he does not deal damage. His attacks simply mark enemies with stacks of up to 3 on each enemy. All other players that physically strike marked enemies can either 1) have 100% armour piercing with ranged weapons, dealing damage to health on the go, or 2) have life steal melee attacks, depending on what form of attack they use (range/melee).

Upon exiting wraith, Oni's shields are dropped to half, as he sacrifices a portion of his health (possibly 30% / 25% / 20% / 15% per level upgrade, or something like that) to deal extra damage to all marked enemies. The more marks on each enemy the more damage dealt.

This damage doesn't need to be too large, it is just a support damage and could be rather minor. The whole point is mostly the physical damage marked targets take from others, or even Oni when he leaves wraith form.

Lastly, if no targets are marked at all, Oni does not sacrifice any health once leaving the wraith form. Helping as a means to visibly get away from enemies for a while.

edit- forgot to mention that he will be able to walk through enemies too.... Yeah I know, a bug hazard waiting to happen.

3- Torturing Blink

Energy Cost 75. Range increase per rank.

Oni teleports to an enemy or location (if no target in crosshairs, Oni teleports to that direction to the maximum of his range)

Whence teleporting to an enemy or next to an enemy, Oni deals life steal damage that heals him with a percentage of the damage dealt. If he teleports to an empty location with no enemies, he sacrifices some of his own health.

4- Torment

Energy cost 100. Duration 3 / 5 / 7 / 10.

All enemies within range are immobilized, held in place by demons coming out of the ground or walls for everyone to attack them. Once the duration of the skill is finished, all targets receive the damage dealt to them x2, or something, maybe more. Who knows.

Ideas and Feedback

Would love to hear peoples opinions on this. Even more, would love to see a frame like this created. All the numbers and stats are of course open to any suggestions and if something like this would ever be made a good balancing would be needed to result in a frame that deals an ok amount of damage, has good crowd control, manoeuvrability and escape tactics, as well as life steals and life sacrifices. Making the strategy to using him a little on the veteran side of things. He could at this point be also specced out to deal a large amount of damage since he sacrifices health to do so, which means they could make him overpowered in some damage by balancing it out with his life lost to deal all that damage.

I am also going to draw a concept artwork of how he could look. If people like this idea I would also love to see ideas drawn up and added to the thinking pool. Could probably come up with some cool alternate helmets for this guy too, like those freaky Japanese doll and samurai masks.

So what do you guys think?

Oni. Could he be a thing or not?

Would you like to see a frame of this style, gameplay approach and powers?

Edited by HazaRD-WARRIOR

Energy Cost 75. Range increase per rank.

Oni teleports to an enemy or location (if no target in crosshairs, Oni teleports to that direction to the maximum of his range)

Whence teleporting to an enemy or next to an enemy, Oni deals life steal damage that heals him with a percentage of the damage dealt. If he teleports to an empty location with no enemies, he sacrifices some of his own health.

this sounds very risky, interesting thiough.

his abilities interest me I feel like if you mixed a prosecutor+ash+vauban+valkyr youd get something like this. I personally think they could be tweaked some just to make him more unique 

Warframes and Ninja Flavour

The frames that are in fact with a ninja flavour to them are few. Ash (as Ninja as it gets), Excalibur, Loki (kinda reminds of a samurai too) and Volt (also reminds of a samurai somewhat)... And that is it. Nyx is debatable, perhaps Frost a little bit too, but not so much.

Then we have Banshee (the Alien Queen from Alien), Ember, Mag, Nova, Valkyr and Trinity (more sci-fi than ninja), Rhino looks like a barbarian, we have a bird/dragonesque Zephir, another Sci-Fi frame in Vauban, a pirate, a necromancer, Diablos' spawn (Oberon), a magician and soon a gunslinger..... More ninja frames. We need them.

Tenno aren't ninjas.

They're space ninjas.

Big difference. 

I'd argue that we have as many "ninja" frames as we need. One. Ash. Loki is more of a stealth trickster (there's a difference). 

How is Volt in the least bit "ninja"?

If we were going to have another "ninja" frame added, it'd need to be female as there isn't one as of now. Maybe it could be Ash's female counterpart?

this sounds very risky, interesting thiough.

his abilities interest me I feel like if you mixed a prosecutor+ash+vauban+valkyr youd get something like this. I personally think they could be tweaked some just to make him more unique 

Yeah I was thinking that. The numbers of course need to be tweaked I mean these are just agitated guesses of what they could be. They could be completely wrong and off in every way, lol. I think that it might actually indeed be interesting. Who knows. A frame that needs some care to be used.

The teleport for example, can be used as a means to simply move faster (kind of like Novas teleport panel thingy is it?) but of course this means people will exploit it. At which point I thought het, he does sacrifice himself so why not? No enemies around him, no life to steal, hence he uses his own (one would say he needs to tap into life to use this skill... according effects could be cool for all this).

As I looked at it later I was indeed actually thinking it reminds me of Vauban in the cc side of things, Valkyr in the entering an untouchable side of things, Loki and Ash in the teleport side of things... With being able to walk on things among the only original skill more or less. The rest are variants of existing things.

Its pretty rushed and rough. I would have to say that the most important skills on him would have to be in my opinion the Torture Blink (we have teleport from Ash and teleport switch from Loki, I thought we needed one more in there, as it is one of the most mobile skills in combat from my experience, one of the main reasons I love Ash so much actually) the wraith and the demon walk.

Ultimately, another option would be to ditch that 4th skill, and make wraith and demon walk into one. Perhaps even increase damages.

The general idea was more or less a demon ninja (perhaps something to give us finally a Stalker nemesis) in looks and style, with gameplay a little on the risky side of things. It could end up being a hazardous thing, which might lead to endless balancing changes after changes. (That is if they ever went to do a crazy idea like this to begin with)

Tenno aren't ninjas.

They're space ninjas.

Big difference. 

Yes, that is why I acknowledge Ash as the best "ninja styled" warframe in the game, he is still a space ninja. But you said it yourself, space ninjas, that is what I am saying. Half that name means that they are based on ninjas. How is Limbo and Hydroid a space ninja? o.O

edit-  I mean, its ok to base concepts on cowgirls, magicians and pirates, concepts that have nothing to do with either space or ninjas, and it isnt ok to create a space ninja based on an actual Japanese mythology oni concept? (Oni means demon in Japanese by the way, you know that right?)

Here I'll edit it then- Oni the Demon Space Ninja. Better? lol XD

Edited by HazaRD-WARRIOR

Fyi: 5 meters is only a few steps in this game.

Yeah I was going for something small. Just enough to make it obvious to the player that they are now activating this thing. Otherwise it would end up leading into a small teleport. Add some range modifiers on it and it might as well be a teleport after that :P Making the 3rd skill useless ^_^

But I think it would work even without that 5m thing at all. Just like a toggle on/off kind of thing.

I reeeeally like the first ability! Walking on the ceiling = mobility +200%

I know right? Thats were it all came to me :P I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have a frame that can simply walk on a wall, stop, and start firging at enemies from there? Yeah I know, wishful thinking.

I'd argue that we have as many "ninja" frames as we need. One. Ash. Loki is more of a stealth trickster (there's a difference). 

How is Volt in the least bit "ninja"?

If we were going to have another "ninja" frame added, it'd need to be female as there isn't one as of now. Maybe it could be Ash's female counterpart?

I don't think we have that many ninja frames either. That is what I am saying. I agree.

No with regards to Volt you are right I didn't mean ninja in terms of his play style, I meant ninja in terms of looks. He has some of the more traditional samurai helmet styles used from earlier periods, morphed of course into warframe style. And same as Loki. I initially thought he looked like a hammerhead shark. In-game, his shape mimics the more decorative samurai helmets.

In terms of play style I would say Ash above all else is the most ninja of all. I seriously play so much with him because, well, he simply is and plays like a ninja. Loki is a mix of feelings. His teleport switch mimics a little of Ashes, and his invisibility does give life-long stealth durations, lol, but yeah he is more of a trickster. Then there is Excalibur. He feels a lot like a Ninja too, mor aggressive. I mean first up, the slash is as ninja as ninja goes. Radial blind? Reminds me of all those cheesy ninja films were they use "ancient flashbangs" to get away. Javelin is meh, ok I guess, reminds me of an anime so thats cool. And super jump (although I found it mostly useless) is Ninja-esque too I would say.

A female ninja... Well, that would be cool too.

Speaking of references (cause they obviously like to use them, pirate for Hydroid, thus mostly a male character, Limbo too, and the new gunslinger coming out being marginally acceptable as female) a female ninja could be in my opinion another character design that would be awesome. I mean, why stop at Oni (who does feel to me like a background story more of a male if we take to account Japanese myths) and why not make another ninja based frame after that? Or before that? A female one.

Was going to say she could use grappling hooks but Valkyr is already on that more or less. They could completely scrap the wall walking thing from a character like Oni and drop it on a female Ninja. Give her some kick @$$ skills that can be a blend of Ash as well, but then at that point, they end up repeating themselves.

I don't know, it needs a lot of thought to come up with the right angles. All I do know is that its a space ninja game and we barely have any space ninjas. That is, well, saddening in a way.

edit- they could make Oni into a female and add some of that freaky Japanese ghost style to it :P

My initial idea came with an image in mind, that is why I stressed the male side of things, I am imagining him in a specific look... That will need me to draw it up I guess.

Edited by HazaRD-WARRIOR

Well... theres actually some pretty good ideas in here and the wall walking thing would indeed be a game changer... Not only for stealthy purposes, ambushes, evading many of the traps in the void, and so on, but unfortunately it would (like zip Line) allow you to get to places your not really supposed to go... im thinking this might be a turn off for DE as it would expose the rough edges of a few tiles... namely in the void.

You had me at wall walking demon, mate... If you make a concept art im sure you will inspire DEs interest. (Visualizing something always helps)

1- Fan concepts. 

2- First ability is very cool. second ability is very limbo. third ability almost ash, fourth ability is very... well lot's of warframes have abilities that pretty much do that.  

2nd ability is more Valkyr I'd say too.

4th ability was a generic thought ^_^

3rd ability is indeed very Ash. We need more of it. Space ninjas, and only 1 frame has an actual teleport. The rest are something aching to be a teleport but not really (like Loki, it switches, its for tactics not closing in). So yeah the main influence to a more ninja like frame was to run on walls and to take one of the most ninja elements already in the game (Ash teleport) and tweak it to make it a variant of both Loki and Ash. That being, that it will be the only teleport in the game from the 3 that will not need a target to be cast. Add the life-steal life-sacrifice element to it and I guess its original enough, no?

As I said we could scrap 1 and 2 into 1 skill that does both, and 4 is just, well, I thought of something to fill up the slot. lol.

edit-  (I need to start proof reading things, too many edits. lol) Fan Concepts? Is that what that category is for? I thought it was fan art for existing concepts... Hmmm... Thnx.

Edited by HazaRD-WARRIOR

Well... theres actually some pretty good ideas in here and the wall walking thing would indeed be a game changer... Not only for stealthy purposes, ambushes, evading many of the traps in the void, and so on, but unfortunately it would (like zip Line) allow you to get to places your not really supposed to go... im thinking this might be a turn off for DE as it would expose the rough edges of a few tiles... namely in the void.

You had me at wall walking demon, mate... If you make a concept art im sure you will inspire DEs interest. (Visualizing something always helps)

It would be wouldn't it? (A game changer... The wall walk I mean. lol)

I think you are right though, as cool as it sounds it probably is indeed like a childs-play mechanic ready for exploitation. I wonder if there is a way it could be balanced out, or altered to be more in keeping with the game elements at hand.

I wanted so much to have an image ready to post, but I need to design a whole bunch of stuff for work as it is and I don't see it happening in these coming days... Definitely is on my to do list though. :) Visualising something indeed makes all the difference.

It would be wouldn't it? (A game changer... The wall walk I mean. lol)

I think you are right though, as cool as it sounds it probably is indeed like a childs-play mechanic ready for exploitation. I wonder if there is a way it could be balanced out, or altered to be more in keeping with the game elements at hand.

I wanted so much to have an image ready to post, but I need to design a whole bunch of stuff for work as it is and I don't see it happening in these coming days... Definitely is on my to do list though. :) Visualising something indeed makes all the difference.

I often find it neat to just run up a wall and let the warframe cling to the ceiling while i shot at enemies from what is easily a decent vantage point.

Many warframe abilities enhances the fundamental game features, an ability to cling to a wall while draining energy wouldnt be bad at all, and if you add in a few other features to this ability to make it useful for more than just clining to a wall (like Valkyrs zip Line being able to propell you forward and drag an enemy) it would perhaps see more interest. Infact, imagine Valkyrs Zip Line, but with the ability to cling to objects and use weapons as if zip lining.

Anyway, just my two cent of a rant. Good luck!

I often find it neat to just run up a wall and let the warframe cling to the ceiling while i shot at enemies from what is easily a decent vantage point.

Many warframe abilities enhances the fundamental game features, an ability to cling to a wall while draining energy wouldnt be bad at all, and if you add in a few other features to this ability to make it useful for more than just clining to a wall (like Valkyrs zip Line being able to propell you forward and drag an enemy) it would perhaps see more interest. Infact, imagine Valkyrs Zip Line, but with the ability to cling to objects and use weapons as if zip lining.

Anyway, just my two cent of a rant. Good luck!

thats actually cool :)

Im gonna rework a second idea on the skills with the concept I will draw up. I already have in mind some neat changes. Then drop them all here in the pot and see were it goes :)

• 2 weeks later...

well, I would have uploaded it by now, but thank you imgur for being down...

Turns out clients always remember when I want to do art for my own self. So I had to rush it like crazy to finish it off but meeh, whatever, general idea is out there now I guess (will be once imgur is up and I can post it)

wooot, imgur is finally up:

this is the main concept to him-

(also added him to the new edited description on this thread explaining all the details)

ioVBaJI.jpg

(more black is needed, but that would request more time of me to make the highlights to make it evident, and since I was in a rush I left this colour on)