Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make Fast But Fragile Frames Viable In Archwing Missions

Kripion

Hello.

Recently I was thinking about imbalance of frames in archwing type missions. I absolutely love an idea and a feel of flying in space but… Why cant I pick my favourite frame (Loki P) and be as viable as other (frames with much better shields, hp and armor) frames?

There are ton of topics where ppl compare rhino, frost, valkyr etc to find what’s the best. But I think that almost all will agree that such frames as loki aren’t even comparable…

I’m writing this because I would like to suggest a solution. Maybe it won’t heal the current situation but it would be a step in right direction (balance and frames diversity at the same time):

• make fast moving frames fly much faster (2x) than slow ones, same goes for speed acceleration (so we need some nerfs and boosts). We need a speedmeters too...
  • scale melee dmg basing also on current speed. For example let’s say max Rhino speed would give him 2x modifier while max loki speed would give him 4x modifier.
  • add pierce throw mechanic to melee that would activate after reaching certain speed value. So we won’t stop to hit enemy once again and (at the same time) receive full stock of hellions in the back…

What do you think guys?

Edited by Kripion

Honestly, I think the simplest and most efficient way to do things is to simply make Warframes purely cosmetic (i.e. your Warframe type, level, base stats, and choice of helmet would have zero impact in Archwing mode). Simply giving faster warframes a damage/punchthrough boost isn't going to do anything to knock Vanguard Rhino Prime (who is exactly as fast as Loki, yet twice as tanky) off his throne.

Another solution would be to disable Warframe Arcane helmets from playing a role in Archwing and improving the effects of speed, but that still wouldn't help with the fact that squishy warframes were designed by concept to rely on their abilities for survival at high levels. A bit of punchthrough and movement speed will do nothing to help a Loki survive unless he's lagging enough to throw off the enemies' shot-leading AI. Not to mention that Zephyr would still be a near-direct upgrade to most of the Frames out there if this were the case.

Edited by SortaRandom

Yeah, as much as I want Archwing to be more tied into the normal game, I think this is one place it really just shouldn't be. It's hard enough to balance all of the Warframes against each other in their own game mode, it would be pretty much impossible to come up with a stat niche for every Warframe (or even a fair fraction of them) in a game mode that has different expectations (and hopefully creates even more distinct game modes in the future).

Besides, what really matters about Warframes to me is their abilities (and really, it's the main way they make them distinct). I don't play Volt for his stats, I play him for his electricity. If I can't have the electricity, then I'm not in any hurry to borrow any stats.

Edited by Jokubas

Considering that the main incentives to use Frost, Rhino or Oberon for their base defenses, how about plugging passives here?

Things like making Zephyr's lightweight frame takes less stamina to boost,

Mirage spawns short-lived holograms behind her while boosting and has X enemies tailing here,  

Loki goes invisible for a short period when 'rolling',

Nekros auto-casts Terrify when surrounded by X enemies (or maybe go D2 Necromancer and make enemies he kills into corpse-bombs).

Y'know, incentivise use of the frames by giving them perks in a way that highlighting their unique traits, giving lighter frames a way to prevent getting cheesed to hell and back because of their stats.

Yeah, as much as I want Archwing to be more tied into the normal game, I think this is one place it really just shouldn't be. It's hard enough to balance all of the Warframes against each other in their own game mode, it would be pretty much impossible to come up with a stat niche for every Warframe (or even a fair fraction of them) in a game mode that has different expectations (and hopefully creates even more distinct game modes in the future).

Besides, what really matters about Warframes to me is their abilities (and really, it's the main way they make them distinct). I don't play Volt for his stats, I play him for his electricity. If I can't have the electricity, then I'm not in any hurry to borrow any stats.

This gentleman shares my sentiments.