Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Webcomic (Page 2 Complete)

CharlesSnippy

I've started work on a webcomic, following the adventures of four Tenno as they fight the Grineer, Corpus and Infested. The art style is still in progress so expect the quality and feel to fluctuate for the first few pages as I find something I'm comfortable with. The characters featured will be Ash, Ember, Rhino, Frost, Lotus, and a new character who is head of Grineer forces in the Sol System. I'd also like to flesh out the other factions of the area, so expect a bit of mention of the council and possibly other Grineer factions. Let me know what you think, and give me some tips. I can't draw landscapes or backgrounds very well, so if anyone can recommend a good way to get in game screenshots without characters or clutter I'd much appreciate it. Enjoy.

Page 1: http://aspaceostrich.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-Page-1-369568981?q=gallery%3Aaspaceostrich&qo=1

Page 2: http://aspaceostrich.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-Page-2-369569382?q=gallery%3Aaspaceostrich&qo=1

warframe_page_3_by_aspaceostrich-d64adeq

This will be the last page released, possibly ever, but at least for a while. Not enough people are interested to justify continuing the comic as is, however, I may give the story a rework and release it as a collection of written segments. Similar to what FrostWolf has done with his Sol System News.

Edited by CharlesSnippy

I've started on the second page, and I've more than doubled the image size so it should look a lot nicer. I've also got better reference pictures now, so I'm hoping for a marked increase in quality. I'm going to desaturate this next page, going to try for a romantically apocalyptic feel.

I've considered line work, in fact, I've been struggling not to use lines. I might have to go back to lines if I can't find a way to make it work without it. I'm going to try a few different styles out once page two is done, then once I've found one that I can do, and looks good, I'll stick with that one.

Ugh, hate the stuff. If I could get away with using paper and pen without the hassle of digitizing it, that'd be great. But the advantages of digital drawings are far too many: The Undo button for one, is a great game changer! And that's without even mentioning the whole other features!

But anyways, good one! Hope to see more of it! Hopefully, your story will be something totally awesome.

Just a question... would you guys like me to focus more on specific action or the general storyline, I'll likely be doing the latter anyway, but if enough people like the first option I'll consider it.

Focusing on the action would be like:

Panel 1: Tenno points gun at grineer,

Panel 2: Grineer close up

Panel 3: Grineer gets shot

Panel 4: One liner

(the first page was action)

More general story line would be

Panel 1: Grineer gets shot and tenno says one liner

Panel 2: other tenno shows up and begins conversation.

Also thanks for all the views guys, I'm hard at work so keep checking back for page two!

Edited by CharlesSnippy

I think a general feel of what your own artistic impression tells you is a good idea would be best: You can play along, and see what you like! I personally prefer sequences being linked to one another in some manner, rather than sudden jumps. An emphasis here, an emphasis there, but just keep the flow going.

If you're a comic fan, you'll notice that sequencing is very important when it comes to scenes: Too little of action, and it seems abrupt. Too much, and it may seem draggy, if there's nothing interesting there. As this is less professional and you can basically do what you want, experimentation wouldn't hurt!

Sorry if this doesn't quite answer your question, though; If you'd still like to insist on a more straight-forward answer, I'd say the first option would help immersion and mood more, assuming you'd prefer it that way.

I think I'll jump between the two, I'd rather focus on story, just because it'll be loads easier to draw until I get a good rhythm going. Some scenes will go better if I slow it down a bit, while others will be better if it speeds up. Conversations for example would be an example of the latter. I could also use it to simulate slow motion scenes. A character leaping through the air to murder someone in three panels would feel slow and dramatic, where as a single panel beatdown would feel more visceral and fast. Anyway, I've got to get back to work on page two.

Thinking of investing in a 3d program for posing, haven't hit too many major roadblocks, but it's hard to find action references, so I might have to. I've got the storyboards for pages 2 and 3 done, the rough for page 3 started, and the roughs for page 2 started. I'm also going to start adding little written segments under the image, which should help flesh out the story a bit.

This second page is taking a little longer than I hoped, this new style is time consuming. To give you something to look at, I'm posting the first panel, minus dialogue. Page three will use a new style yet again, and I hope it will be faster and better looking.

4j9kzd.jpg

Here's a picture (not drawn by me) of the style I'm going to try next.

zyfzti.jpg

Whoever drew that, nice job. Let me know if you don't want it posting and I'll take it down.

I've decided that I'm going to redraw the characters from page 2. They just look bad. I'm thickening the lines for the most part, and the character I've tested it out on looks way better than his thin lined counterparts. Page 2 should be up by the weekend. With page 3 not far behind.