Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Psa: The Value Of Rolling.

StinkyPygmy

Question

I've noticed a disturbing amount of players don't understand how effective rolling can be.

Really. Its great and I'm not just talking about your standard vanilla rolling either.

I'm also talking about all those cool back flips and junk you can do while aiming down sight as well.

SO LISTEN UP YA WEE BABBY TENNO CAUSE WE GON LEARN ABOUT ROLLIN' AND SHIIZ!

ROLLING DOES ALL THIS AND MORE!

- Dmg reduction during the animation. Not sure exactly how much but I suspect and have heard from others its around 66-75%. If anyone could confirm the number, that would be great.

- If timed right it grants invulnerability to heavy knockdowns. Doesn't matter which direction you roll as long as you don't go to late or early.

- Immunity to most forms of stun and all grappling hook knockdowns. Personally I get a kick out of back flipping away from a scorpions grappling hook. Looks badass, like I'm kicking the hook away from me.

- Really effective at avoiding and reducing the dmg taken from grenades and explosions in generalUseful in high level content when grenades can easily oneshot you. Also great for avoiding knock downs from bombard rockets and reducing the dmg they deal.

- Grants invulnerability to pretty much any other form of knock down you can encounter including fire eximus explosions and shockwaves. You will still be launched a fair distance but you wont land on your butt. 

- Removes the effects of swarm moas, removes maggots, leech ospreys and anything else that sticks to you. (Thanks Devoid, I forgot about this one. I wish everyone during the event knew so swarms weren't spread faster then i could roll them off)

- Lets you pass through laser doors without getting knocked down.

-Reduces the dmg of slash procs and other DoT effects if the rolling is timed right between ticks. (Cheers Pip1n)

Feel free to add any other interesting bits of rolling related info.

Disclaimer: Rolling to avoid knockdowns etc. requires good timing to be effective. Don't come crying to me accusing me of shenanigans without testing it thoroughly and practicing on timing it right. Rolling isn't a skill suitable for everyones playstyle.

I'm aware this is obvious to some of the forums, but you would be amazed at how little I see players rolling in game when it would be extremely helpful and how often I encounter someone on the forums that does not yet know the magic that is rolling. 

Edited by StinkyPygmy

I actually found about this a while ago when I built my Rhino Prime for maximum speed and stam. (for melee)

Its really useful to not be knocked down from bombard rockets you see coming from miles away. I generally just roll right into them lol

Edited by armedpoop

Rolling through laser doors showed me no damage reduction.

You can add rolling removes the effects of the new Infested units.

I've never paid attention to the effect it has on a laser doors dmg, but I can guarantee it reduces dmg from incoming fire and other sources of dmg fairly significantly. An easy way to test it is to take a direct hit from a bombard rocket, then try again but roll into it this time and compare the difference.

I'll add that to the list.

Do I sense a fellow Dark Souls player?

And yeah, rolling is awesome.

Surprisingly I've never played a whole lot of DS.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Rolling through laser doors showed me no damage reduction.

You can add rolling removes the effects of the new Infested units.

To be fair, laser doors seem to be special. Even with a big Shield Transference on my Mag Prime, she still took damage to her personal shields when running through it.

I don't roll that much because sliding accomplishes nearly the same things - without interrupting reloads. Utility wise, I choose slide over roll. But I still roll mostly for the new infested CC procs and to look like an action hero. LOL

Back-flip cancels Limbo's banish.

you serious?

It's a change they made recently. And it's any kind of roll, not just back-flips

I don't roll that much because sliding accomplishes nearly the same things - without interrupting reloads. Utility wise, I choose slide over roll. But I still roll mostly for the new infested CC procs and to look like an action hero. LOL

Fair enough.

I find sliding is harder to do quickly or in tight quarters though. Its also a bit harder to control the direction and no dmg reduction.

But sliding is still cool. Especially if you do the slide + roll trick and end up doing a massive front flip and launching yourself across the room.

Pretty useful for landing a slam attack in a group thats far away.

Also if you get volt, use speed and then slide roll you can RP sonic for a few seconds.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Rolling will also detach Seeker's Grenades and Leech Osprey's Leeches.

I don't think Sliding has protection from knockdown or the damage reduction.

I usually prevent knockdowns with abilities, but if there's nothing I want to cast I'll roll instead, often enough.

I don't think Sliding has protection from knockdown or the damage reduction.

You are indeed correct, sliding only works as mobility, no resistances at all

But you can avoid the knockdown with slide attack.

And it's fairly easy to test, go into a Heavy Gunner and let him stomp and quickly slide forward. It feels like you're getting knocked back not down tho'

How does anyone play against Infested these days without rolling every 5 seconds at least?

All the players that make constant threads about how [insert dmg type, situation or enemy here] is OP/unfair apparently.

So many problems can be solved with a combination of "roll" and "Git gud... at rolling".