Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ready For Nekros' Second Pass Of Tweaks.

BrazilianJoe

I am counting on DE living up to Rebecca's claim that this was only the first pass. 

What Nekros still needs:

There is a lack of synergy between the skills. One can't optimize well for all its skills. Which skills are affected by duration, strength and range should be rethought.

Soul Punch

Soul Punch has one perceived problem which is shared with other level 1 skills. It is considered too weak by many. Its casting time was reduced, and it does not harm other actions, but is this enough?

I propose that Soul Punch deals 10/20/30/40% of the enemy's current health. It should sap the enemy's life. As such, it scales up with enemy level, but also has diminishing returns, and cannot directly kill an enemy. 

It would ragdoll the enemy for a few seconds, crumpling it to the ground on the spot. The energy sapping would create a darkness aura which would affect enemies negatively, staggering enemies around and debuffing their accuracy. 

It could be affected by duration or strength or both, to better synergize with modding for other abilities.

Terrify

Terrify is a good oh-sh!t button as is, except for: Should add a slowness to enemy walking/running speed, to be easier to melee them. 

Desecrate

I'd have Desecrate create a 'defiler ground' enchantment in a circular area centered where Nekros casted the power. 

The area is fixed, does not move with Nekros. 

The power would have a default duration of 15 seconds and ticks twice per second. 

On every tick, one corpse in the area is defiled (100% chance). Affected by duration mods. 

It is simpler, more predictable, and frees Nekros from the 33333333 menial job.

Shadows Of The Dead

Harvesting souls - the single most hateful thing about this power. The player should at least be able to make use of any dead body, instead of having to kill by himself. 

I'd have this power as a toggle with 'unlimited' duration. As such, the shadows would not have an expiration. The power would cost 1 energy per live shadow per second. Nekros wouldn't be able to regain energy while SotD is active.

Activating the power would cost 50 energy and would not raise any shadows, it would just "activate life support" for the shadows. Nekros would become a shadow briefly, and be unable to deal and take damage for 2/3/4/5 seconds on activating. Nekros becomes intangible and can pass through enemies. Since it won't raise shadows immediately, it should give the player some survivability. All statuses on Nekros would be shed away. Nekros can use the "roll" action to get out of Shadow State prematurely if he so chooses.

Have Soul Punch be castable on dead bodies. By doing this, Nekros will raise 1/1/2/2 shadows (shadow strength and number of shadows increase with SotD, not Soul Punch) if #4 is active. Soul Punching a dead body to create shadows consumes it, making it not Desecratable.

Then there is the problem of Shadows not being able to dish enough damage. The most straightforward fix for shadows not engaging enemies enough is to replace the enemies shadows with a Nekros 'Spectre Shadow'. 

Augment to Soul Punch: casting soul punch on a Shadow heals and temporarily buffs that shadow.

Augment to Shadows of the Dead: Health link shares damage on Nekros with all the shadows. 

Edited by BrazilianJoe

There is a lack of synergy between the skills. One can't optimize well for all its skills. Which skills are affected by duration, strength and range should be rethought.

Stopped reading here, reason being that this is not a problem solely limited to Nekros. This is a problem that affects almost every single warframe. I honestly can't think of any that have skills that synergize well. Maybe Mesa or Oberon?

Stopped reading here, reason being that this is not a problem solely limited to Nekros. This is a problem that affects almost every single warframe. I honestly can't think of any that have skills that synergize well. Maybe Mesa or Oberon?

Limbo

well, his augment mods work pretty well together 

This is a cooperation game, so single warframe is (normally) not a good term for these warframes. These are support warframes.

Look at Saryn, no really synergy between her powers, but no one care (i think).

You just need to cooperate with the other warframes^^.

I like your ideas for augments, but this is a decision for the community.

I am counting on DE living up to Rebecca's claim that this was only the first pass. 

What Nekros still needs:

Soul Punch

Soul Punch has one perceived problem which is shared with other level 1 skills. It is considered too weak by many. Its casting time was reduced, and it does not harm other actions, but is this enough?

I propose that Soul Punch deals 10/20/30/40% of the enemy's current health. It should sap the enemy's life. As such, it scales up with enemy level, but also has diminishing returns, and cannot directly kill an enemy. 

It would ragdoll the enemy for a few seconds, crumpling it to the ground on the spot. The energy sapping would create a darkness aura which would affect enemies negatively, staggering enemies around and debuffing their accuracy. 

It could be affected by duration or strength or both, to better synergize with modding for other abilities.

Terrify

Terrify is a good oh-sh!t button as is.

Desecrate

I'd have Desecrate create a 'defiler ground' enchantment in a circular area centered where Nekros casted the power. 

The area is fixed, does not move with Nekros. 

The power would have a default duration of 15 seconds and ticks twice per second. 

On every tick, one corpse in the area is defiled (100% chance). Affected by duration mods. 

It is simpler, more predictable, and frees Nekros from the 33333333 menial job.

Shadows Of The Dead

Harvesting souls - the single most hateful thing about this power. The player should at least be able to make use of any dead body, instead of having to kill by himself. 

I'd have this power as a toggle with 'unlimited' duration. As such, the shadows would not have an expiration. The power would cost 1 energy per live shadow per second. Nekros wouldn't be able to regain energy while SotD is active.

Activating the power would cost 50 energy and would not raise any shadows, it would just "activate life support" for the shadows. Nekros would become a shadow briefly, and be unable to deal and take damage for 2/3/4/5 seconds on activating. Because since it won't raise shadows immediately, it should give the player some survivability. All statuses on Nekros would be shed away.

Have Soul Punch be castable on dead bodies. By doing this, Nekros will raise one shadow if #4 is active. Soul Punching a dead body consumes it, making it not Desecratable.

Augment to Soul Punch: casting soul punch on a Shadow heals and temporarily buffs that shadow.

Augment to Shadows of the Dead: Health link shares damage on Nekros with all the shadows. 

Your ideas for soul punch are nice. Tho I dont see why it shouldnt be able to kill. Otherwise I'd be fine with it.

For Terrify I'd add the function of cowering, or slow the run speed to match the superior Kubrow version of Terrify, but otherwise yes its in a pretty good place.

I'll never stop saying that Desecrate needs to be reworked or removed, but in reguards to directly replying to your idea I'd say it would just be easier to keep it as is but it can only be used on a body a single time. Thus removing the need for spamming completely.

As for your suggestion to sotd I really like that you think they shouldnt expire, but where you lose me is having them cost energy to maintain, and being unable to pick up more energy. This would effectively ruin this ability even further. I love using minions(as underwhelming as they are)but I would never cast it again if it drained me. In fact I'd probably retire my use of Nekros alltogether, and he's my fav and most played frame.

The Invincibility on cast I can get behind tho, and I like the soul punch on corpses idea of raising another shadow, but considering I disagree with being drained for my minions I'd simply change it so that soul punching a body adds it to the soul cache.

I like the augment ideas alot tho. Specifically the soul punch idea. If you removed the energy drain to maintain phantoms and simply allowed them to exist until killed this could be the perfect way of maintaining them for long periods of time.

Edited by PsychoticMarik

-snip-

A mechanic which deals % damage of the current health will always reduce a percentage of the current HP. maybe the game would round down fractions of 1 to 0, thuss killing the enemy, but it just wouldn't be efficient. Soul Punch would be more useful as a damage opener, or against VIP enemies such as bombards, buthas diminishing returns. The advantage is that it scales 'infinitely' regardless of enemy HP. 

Hadn't thought of adding slowness to terrify, good one. 

I am looking at the trend of new skill mechanics. There a "toggle-off-sooner" like Embers new WoF, which don't limit energy regain, but have a set max. duration. And powers with "infinite" duration, which are prevented to be always-on by curbing energy regain. I don't see how it can fit the game's concept and balance to  raise a minion with "infinite" duration using a power, and no countereffect to it. 

If the devs wanted this kind of mechanic in-game, I would have suggested as you posted. but I see devs actively avoidin powers which can last infinitely, so I am straying away from that concept. 

Now the shadows' AI needs to be improved for sure, and/or adding some effect when the shadow expires/dies/is killed. 

So the justification for one frame to not have synergy... is "nobody else does"?

Wouldn't it be better to give them all synergy, rather than shutting someone down for trying to give some to them (even if one at a time)?

While we can say that most abilities don't exactly synergize, usually you can build a modset for at least two abilities. We can have builds which contribute to several mods at once. 

Maybe synergize wasn't the best word, since I was intending to refer to mod builds moreso than abilities. But I like abilities that synergize. 

And some frames have this synergy. Mesa for instance, has abilities which go very well together, Ember has its Accelerant. There may be more  examples out there.