Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sol-The Crystal Warframe [Updated Concept Art]

Rufflog

Hey there.

This is my idea about a crystal based warframe.

Its supposed to be a Area/crowd controlling fighter with the ability to slow the enemies advance down and attack from unusual places to surprise the enemy.

( and sorry for my english skills...I`m still learning)

Design

(click image for full size)

Z9tNP8g.png?1

This Warframe has lost his left arm.He uses his power to replace his arm with a crystal version . ...basically the crystals grow in a different direction to imitate moving limbs.
(These Crystals are no minerals. So no diamonds)

Also all abilities get "cast" with this arm
A neat idle animation would be crystals growing on the left arm(without noticing) and regress after some time when the warframe figured out the crystals are growing bigger

Abilities

The abilities are meant to literally slow the enemy down and manipulate the environment to fulfill this goal. Aggressive enemies will be the easiest prey for this warframe because they don't watch their steps.

Crystal-shot

The next shot fired will be a crystal projectile. Crystals will grow on impact on the target ," freezing" it for a short period of time and also dealing constant damage while the crystals are growing. The crystals then  break , setting the target free , which staggers a short time , as if hit with a heavy melee weapon .After the crystals broke , the armor of the target is reduced .

This crystal projectile is able to penetrate up to two targets (without mods/ it will travel trough the first penetrated target until it hits a second one and THEN penetration mods apply)This ability would be affected by duration and power-strength mods to increase the damage over time and also keeping the target frozen

Crystal-shrapnel (reworked a bit)

The warframe will throw a bunch of crystals with a quick hand movement-like the shot of a shotgun with fairly decent spread. If an enemie gets hit by such a shrapnel it`ll get blinded and cause a bleed-status. If you hit the floor with these projectiles it will cause these shrapnels to grow bigger and build small pointy traps. Enemies who step on these will get damaged ( not with the full ammount of ability damage) and slowed down 

Every hit target will stumble one or two steps back .

( Another cool effect: A target , who was first blinded and then steps onto a crystal(still while blinded) panics and shoots in all directions possibly damaging other enemies.This effect would end after the enemy has regained its ability to see. Maybe this is too much for one ability ,so i guess its up to the Devs.)This ability would be affected by range, duration and power mods 

Crystal-stairway 

When pointing at any surface and activating this ability you will throw a crystal there which then grows larger to a small platform after impact. Every platform has HP , so they can be destroyed by shooting at them(by you, teammates and enemies) but will remain there forever if they won't get damaged. If they get destroyed , the cracked platforms will rain down and damage enemies .Explosion damage will cause massive damage to these platforms.This is a multi-tool ability. Do whatever you want. For example reach perfect sniper-spots or set traps , use it as quick traveling tool and build your own shortcuts. This is to surprise and ambush your enemies This ability would be affected by power mods, which would increase the HP of the platforms and the damage of falling platform parts

Crystal Juggernaut

Crystals grow all over the warframe transforming him into a colossus made of crystals ( not thaaaat huge maybe 2-3 meters maximum). This will make him slower(not just the movement but general animations , so melee attacks will be slower too) but also increase his armor and shield capacity. Also his currently equipped weapon will merge with his arm ( because crystals grow all over it) and buff this certain weapon( you wont be able to change weapons once youve activated this ability). Melee weapons would get additional puncture and slash damage because of sharp and pointy crystals while firearms will receive penetration and a higher crit chance.This effect would last for about 1 minute ...i dont know(is this too much?)It would be affected by duration and power mods

OR

like one of my friends suggested. He wont turn into a crystal golem. Instead he would be a crystal wolf/ kubrow . He would be covered in sharp crystals , dealing damage just by passing enemy units . Also attacks would change into bites and jump attacks to shred through enemy formationsThis effect would last for about 1 minute ...i dont know(is this too much?)It would be affected by duration and power mods

To give you an idea on how i imagine this warframe..just think about him on top of one of his crystal-platforms killing attacking enemies with deadly precision. They notice him and shoot at his platform. It breaks but the warframe immediately jumps down transforming into a crystal giant , airborne ,and slams down the ground . Enemies get knocked down and dust rises . And suddenly : crystals everywhere. The Golem is firing nasty formed sharp crystals , ripping everyone apart and barely moves while under heavy fire .But he doesnt seem to care . Then a crack in his crystal armor- and another one . The golem breaks like glass and in a last fighting act the warframe throws a bunch of crystals right in the remaining enemies faces . They try to cover their heads with their arms and when they lower them again the Frame disappeared into nowhere

Old 4th ability :Crystal Tower

After activation the warframe will " freeze" him/herself in a growing crystal.You will be immune to every damage except electricity and fire and wont be able to move while stuck in the crystal. The crystal will grow to a tower. Sharp and pointy crystals will grow around this tower. The crystal tower will grow every second and will drain energy for every second its growing. The crystals around the tower will damage enemies and slow them down. And IF some crystals grow through enemies near the tower they will get impaled .Deactivating this ability will cause the crystal to break . Huge chunks of crystal will fall on nearby opponents and damage them.As you can imagine , you cant use this ability in closed small rooms .This ability would work best in defense missions . Just let the tower of power grow on top of the cryopod.Enemies won't be able to attack it,at the cost of lots of energy.

Ill update this thread as often as possible with additional content, if i get more ideas. Also what do you think? Do you like the concept) have any ideas/suggestions?

btw:

Sol means salt in many different languages. Ive choosen this name because salt is one of the most common crystals with countless purposes.

Edited by CampLeaderHoliday

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fact it has such a clear mouth and eyes is kinda... weird. I mean, yeah, Mirage KINDA has that look, but it's nowhere NEAR as blatant as this - this has teeth and everything.

I think you should have gone with less rounded edges and something more triangular and pointy:

regice.jpg

This is actually a really cool frame idea, and I like the detail of the missing arm replaced with a mixture of servo joints and molding crystals. The abilities fit, are unique from anything else and seem like they'd all have a lot of strategic value to them!

"Too complicated" would be how id Describe it.

Abilities

The abilities are meant to literally slow the enemy down and manipulate the environment to fulfill this goal. Aggressive enemies will be the easiest prey for this warframe because they don't watch their steps.

Crystal-shot

The next round in the magazine will be a crystal projectile. Its damage and crit-multiplyer will me massively increased and it will be able to penetrate targets without numeric limits. If this shot hits the floor or wall it will cause crystals to grow on this spot. Enemies who step on these crystals will be damaged .If you shoot at these crystals they will burst into dust and blind near enemies in a very small radius.

This ability is supposed to work best with bows, sniper rifles and shotguns-generally weapons with high single shot damage and small magazine capacity

Crystal-shrapnel

The warframe will throw a bunch of crystals with a quick hand movement. Like in the first ability , these crystals penetrate enemies , but not more than 2 enemies per crystal.Instead of causing growing crystals on any surface they will stuck where they hit the ground if they had no contact with a third target. So if they penetrate 2 targets they will stuck in the ground , but if one of the crystals will hit a third target it will stuck there and cause bleed damage .

Every hit target will stumble one or two steps back 

Also enemies who step on crystals on the ground will get damaged and slowed down

Now why do these two abilities have almost the exact same effect ? It will make more sense later once you've read what the next skill is good for , but to keep it crystal-clear (hehe) The Crystal-shot is supposed to stop some enemies in a straight line , for example narrow passages or gateways. Its the main damage ability .
Crystal-shrapnel is there to support the man-stop effect of this warframe . Unlike the Crystal-shot ,you can throw these crystals on the move without aiming or something. It is supposed to be a escape tool to slow chasing enemies down or stop a large group while reloading /fleeing 

Crystal-stairway

After activating this ability you will put your weapon away . In one hand the warframe will "hold" 3 crystals.(the crystals hover over the palm) You can shoot these crystals with the other hand on any surface . After the impact they will grow to a crystal platform . Every platform has HP , so they can be destroyed by shooting at them(by you, teammates and enemies) but will remain there forever if they won't get damaged. If they get destroyed , the cracked platforms will rain down and damage enemies .explosion damage will cause massive damage to these platformsAlso if you activate this ability and you switch weapons again the crystals wont be lost. The next time you activate this ability it won't cost any energy.This is a multi-tool ability. Do whatever you want. For example reach perfect sniper-spots or set traps , use it as quick traveling tool and build your own shortcuts. This is to surprise and ambush your enemies 

Crystal-tower

After activation the warframe will " freeze" him/herself in a growing crystal.You will be immune to every damage except electricity and fire and wont be able to move while stuck in the crystal. The crystal will grow to a tower. Sharp and pointy crystals will grow around this tower. The crystal tower will grow every second and will drain energy for every second its growing. The crystals around the tower will damage enemies and slow them down. And IF some crystals grow through enemies near the tower they will get impaled .Deactivating this ability will cause the crystal to break . Huge chunks of crystal will fall on nearby opponents and damage them.As you can imagine , you cant use this ability in closed small rooms .This ability would work best in defense missions . Just let the tower of power grow on top of the cryopod.Enemies won't be able to attack it,at the cost of lots of energy. 

Ill update this thread as often as possible with additional content, if i get more ideas. Also what do you think? Do you like the concept) have any ideas/suggestions?

1.Just more damage, crit chance and penetration. All that with crystals is... "too much". If anything after 2-3 enemies or upon impact with wall (after already penetrating at least one enemy) explodes and blinds enemies within 1 // 1.5 // 2 // 2.5m (debatable, need to also remind of mods like Stretch and Overextend to take into consideration) radius if you're so keen on that feature.

Also how do you suppose this would work with shotguns?

What numbers are we talking about? (multipliers or how many +% to each) Are we talking about Base stats or after modding? I'm asking because we already have a weapon capable of having 25% for Red Crit. Also consider how Strength mods would affect the skill.

2. While retaining cast on the move i would remove penetration, let's keep it to exclusive to 1. Instead "upon contact with enemy crystals explode and blind enemies with 2/3rd (or even less) the range of 1 (reason because that's more than one thrown there) while crystals that don't come within enemy and will land upon ground will (choose one, or make something else)
-become a mine (possibility of remote detonation with varying effect)

-slow nearby enemies and explode with blind upon contact (but now with "full force")

-some kind of debuffs for enemies

3. Just make it castable as one crystal on the chosen spot on the go, otherwise it would be too problematic to cast when needed in heat of battle and make it too clunky to use normally, also it would be "too energy efficient" with free casts.

4. I'd really think of something else that modified Nyx's Meditate and/or Frosts Globe. How about of some kind team skill? Like Replacing current Magazine in weapon of each teammate (including caster) with one full of bullets like 1? Or some kind of huge blinding flash with enemy debuffs? (as being already blind isn't bad enough)

Hey there.

This is my idea about a crystal based warframe.
Its supposed to be a Area/crowd controlling fighter with the ability to slow the enemies advance down and attack from unusual places to surprise the enemy.

These changes would be as to make it more of a sharpshooter that could focus on strategy/tactics and smart plays instead of another CC/Nuker frame, we already have enough of those...

But that's how I see it.

EDIT: Forgot to add to each skill to consider how each skill would be affected by Strength, Range and Duration mods.

Edited by Kasarian

The fact it has such a clear mouth and eyes is kinda... weird. I mean, yeah, Mirage KINDA has that look, but it's nowhere NEAR as blatant as this - this has teeth and everything.

I think you should have gone with less rounded edges and something more triangular and pointy:

regice.jpg

I actually wanted to draw him like this in my first attempts but found out pretty fast that it's damn hard to make a suit look like this AND make it look like it can move.Maybe I'm just too stupid to draw crystal-people .My only weakness :(

This is actually a really cool frame idea, and I like the detail of the missing arm replaced with a mixture of servo joints and molding crystals. The abilities fit, are unique from anything else and seem like they'd all have a lot of strategic value to them!

Thanks dude 

"Too complicated" would be how id Describe it.

[...]

Wooooooow. Man thanks for this huge pile of feedback.

1.Yeah I´m quite unsure about damage scaling and such because i dont really know what would be fitting stats and dont want to just- copy them from other frames for reference. Thats why i left this vague statement about crits.

And good thing you bring up the shotguns. I'm not sure if it would be considered OP if the shotgun would also fire one(larger) single , accurate hitting crystal or a lot of smaller ones like the actual ammunition.

2.I've already foreseen this would cause trouble and I`m going change it

3.Okay. Makes sense

4....well...this waaaaas kiiiind of a filler...i don't really know .I knew i would change them later on because of this. I just wrote down the first idea i had in mind because i thought it would be better if i post a complete set . So this`ll change , too

I`m also going to add mod affection to the skills.

And again : thanks for the effort :)

Hmmmm...

1. I'd really change it to "next shot" ability and resign from full penetration since bows have innate punchthrough, on shotguns it would scream "op nerf!!11oneone" and when considering sniper riffles Lanka has punchthrough (bigger than fully leveled mod) and Vectis is more of a single headshot weapon/reload/head weapon (and almost never see any other sniper rifles). Instead weapons like boltor or soma primes would have a nice time with increased damage, punchthrough and soma could may even reach red crit chance...

2. Instead the slow i think blind would be better, we've got tons upon tons of slows in the game already, it would also open the frame for posibility of utilizing melee with it.

That's all for now.

Hmmmm...

1. I'd really change it to "next shot" ability and resign from full penetration since bows have innate punchthrough, on shotguns it would scream "op nerf!!11oneone" and when considering sniper riffles Lanka has punchthrough (bigger than fully leveled mod) and Vectis is more of a single headshot weapon/reload/head weapon (and almost never see any other sniper rifles). Instead weapons like boltor or soma primes would have a nice time with increased damage, punchthrough and soma could may even reach red crit chance...

2. Instead the slow i think blind would be better, we've got tons upon tons of slows in the game already, it would also open the frame for posibility of utilizing melee with it.

That's all for now.

Hey,
thanks for the feedback.
First, i actually meant the first ability to be the next shot and its supposed to do sick things with some weapons.
I also wanted to make single shot weapons attractive so a sniping play style (combined with the 3rd ability) would be obvious , but as you pointed out it wont quite work with bows and some sniper rifles and would most likely be really op with certain shotguns
I`m not certainly sure on how to change this ability but if you ( or someone else) has some ideas i`d love to read them

second, i totally agree with that so i`m going to change the slow for a blinding effect

Well, with how i suggestedin first feedback, having 2-3 enemies penetrated is still viable, but now that i think with my second post 2, instead of blind:

Penetrates 1 enemy + shocks/stuns for 0,25/ 0,5/ 0,75/ 1second. This way its viable for shotguns as it gives Spread mods a chance to shine as close range CC enabling few slashed with melee or simply giving time for reload/escape while with sniper rifles it gives the chance for sniper to support team with CC'ing most dangerous at the time targets. Value so short as it is in my opinion enough time to cast the ability again or escape or do anything while on being too op with continuity like mods (which at best can give you +100% if not longer duration). Though add Loki and let the infinite Kite begin. ^^

Now about that 4. Is is supposed to be some AoE or some kind of self buff or wide area debuff... Will need to remember that 4 is supposed to be signature move of the frame while trying to be "unique" from others...

Any ideas?

Well, with how i suggestedin first feedback, having 2-3 enemies penetrated is still viable, but now that i think with my second post 2, instead of blind:

Penetrates 1 enemy + shocks/stuns for 0,25/ 0,5/ 0,75/ 1second. This way its viable for shotguns as it gives Spread mods a chance to shine as close range CC enabling few slashed with melee or simply giving time for reload/escape while with sniper rifles it gives the chance for sniper to support team with CC'ing most dangerous at the time targets. Value so short as it is in my opinion enough time to cast the ability again or escape or do anything while on being too op with continuity like mods (which at best can give you +100% if not longer duration). Though add Loki and let the infinite Kite begin. ^^

Now about that 4. Is is supposed to be some AoE or some kind of self buff or wide area debuff... Will need to remember that 4 is supposed to be signature move of the frame while trying to be "unique" from others...

Any ideas?

I guess the shock/stun would be great for the first ability . Basically i think it could be like this:

The next shot fired will be a crystal projectile. Crystals will grow on impact on the target ," freezing" it for a short period of time . The crystals then  break , setting the target free , which staggers a short time , as if hit with a heavy melee weapon .

This crystal projectile is able to penetrate up to two targets (without mods/ it will travel trough the first penetrated target until it hits a second one and THEN penetration mods apply)

The second ability will get a general enemy-debuff so all problems would be solved. instead of one powerful shot ( old first ability) you could debuff and CC them with the second ability to get some shots in and use the first ability for support and CC.

And about 4.
It was supposed to be a AoE. The ground around the warframe would slowly get covered in crystals which grow bigger and impale near enemies. The warframe itself in the center of this ability will freeze himself in a crystal which grows bigger as the AoE continues to spread over the floor.

But as someone mentioned before this is some kind of Frost's snow globe .

Typhus helmet... Corpus frame. Need to be more clear and pointy.

wait...okay. ive just realized what you meant with Typhus helmet because someone said it before and i was a bit confused.
i never wanted to steal anything , i just hadnt realized it 

This picture bellow was the first sketch of an helmet but i basically was just a supercool corpus dude.
so i added spikes. they were boring. i added teeth. yes it's getting warmer ...and there we are now . i guess i have to do another helmet then...
[EDIT] i was thinking about the Halo elites when finishing the current head :/

RWFrALA.png?1

Hmmmm.... How about a nice defensive ability that can be also use offensively as both damage and CC?

"Crystal Garden"?

Frame slams the ground under him and forest of crystals grow around him, half random half predermined patern.

Now possibilities:

-acting as cover against enemy fire -not full coverage like snowglobe and gaps between crystals would enable firing inside and outside of crystals. this was it could be used to defend objectives, teammates or self OR jumping among enemies and casting would scatter them among crystals giving possibility of engaging with melee. Each crystal would have a set amount of health or be indestructible. First option would either make them half permament (long duration, 15-20 seconds? max level) or even permanent like 3 while second option 10 seconds max (as mods could extend it to 20+ seconds I think).

-knockup being the only CC in my opinion upon initial growth of the "forest"

-now about secondary function after being a cover i propose 2 things:

a)agro - blinding crystals (making them shine in the process) have a chance of agroing enemies on them instead of players

b)damage - each crystal attacks once with an ice spear first enemy that gets close making close use offensive while on defenses a tool to have a breather (like not getting shot/butchered melee while reviving a teammate)

Depending on above then wonder if there could be cooldown between casts, waiting for last cast to expire or spam, though id be for 1 or 2, we already have a lot of spam skills.

The idea is a modified version of one of my spells from one of rpg's I'm playing ^^'