Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solar Rails - Imput & Discussion Thread

GratuitousLurking

Solar Rails
Shattered Past, Fractured Future

Table of Contents

Comment Thread: This Thread

Episode 1: The Prototype
Chapter 1 - Awakening - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/40243-solar-rails-the-fanstory/?p=386153

Chapter 2 - Intelligence Brief - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/40243-solar-rails-the-fanstory/?p=387347

Chapter 3 - Drider - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/40243-solar-rails-the-fanstory/?p=387391

Chapter 4 - Escape - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/40243-solar-rails-the-fanstory/#entry598235

Chapter 5 - Prototype Cobra - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/40243-solar-rails-the-fanstory/#entry598348

Chapter 6 - Breaking Back In - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/40243-solar-rails-the-fanstory/#entry911310

Chapter 7 - Reactor Core - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/40243-solar-rails-the-fanstory/#entry1220864

Chapter 8 - Boss Battles - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/40243-solar-rails-the-fanstory/?p=1524195

---

This is a fan-story where the goal is not only to create an awesome story featuring Warframe, but also to put into light various fan-made concepts that are often buried due to usual forum activity. Expect technology that is not officially in the game, as well as Fanframes, to be heavily spotlighted as well as a semblance of plot strung together with fan ideas and general consensus of the basic plot. Warning, plot may contain Grineer approaching.

Edited by GratuitousLurking

Only noticed it now. You're an evil, evil guy, GratituousLurking. 

I haven't slept for two days but god damn it I'm going to read it through today.

[Edit]

THat's complete awesomeness, right there. You, sir, are an impressive writer, and I can't wait to read more of that.

Edited by GTG3000

Only noticed it now. You're an evil, evil guy, GratituousLurking. 

I haven't slept for two days but god damn it I'm going to read it through today.

[Edit]

THat's complete awesomeness, right there. You, sir, are an impressive writer, and I can't wait to read more of that.

Sorry. I only bumped it up because quite literally a few hours after I posted it the mods went 'Let's take all this fan concepts and suggestions and SHOVE THEM OVER HERE *dump*' and suddenly all the recent stories and stuff that wasn't posted in all the time got shoved back 5+ pages :S

Butyes, my apologies. Get some sleep :<

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm not just bumping it for the sake of bumping, making a few comments:

1: I plan to at least finish off the first chapter by the end of the week. Expect quite a bit of action, and perhaps a spattering of drama, and at least one other Warframe to appear during that time. Sadly not a fanframe, yet.

2: Sans for a few special selections, I've not got a huge idea who else I'd slide into the story fanframe wise. The list I got thus far includes some of the obvious ones, but there's always some fringe ones I may has forgotten.

Thus far, Dragon, Vespa, Tiburon, Drider, Svarog, Shard, Anubis, Erucae, Cronus, Nemisis, Locust, Void, Dryad, Crow, Insurgent, and Blade are on my list of to-includes. Any other mentionables I may have forgot on my little linklist?

3: Not just custom frames will be showing up. Next 'Fragment' of the tale will be highly focused on Infested, so expect shenanigans relating to a couple concept threads to sneak in there. Sadly, this segment featuring the Grineer is going to be over soon, and we won't be hitting back to them in a while, so no fan Grineer for now.

And now back to typing where I'd be productive :S

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good news everyone!

We've acquired a bit more time to work on this, so I got yet another chapter done! Also, I am polishing off another ministory relating to Solar Rails, jus a little prequal sorta thing that I'll post in here cause I really wanted to flesh out some of the characters and future frame choices a tiny bit more early for some reason.

Expect this thread updated with the first Solar Rail Gaiden in probably a few hours!

Not big surprise, took me a tad longer to finish the polish. Here, has a side story.

---

Solar Rails: Gaiden

Stoking the Flames

Featured Fan Content - Drider Warframe, Vespa Warframe, Void Warframe, Centipede Infested, Corpus Aegis

---

Solar Landmark: Saturn, station Carme

Terrain: Infested Hive City

---

In the past, you flourished. You were the lords of the ancient era, and its guardians.

But then, they came. They undermined and overwhelmed you. With nowhere to turn, you hid from the dangers, fleeing extinction.

The Orokin, however, had nowhere to run, and went to great lengths to ensure its survival. Where they failed, however, their creations endured...

---

Grineer Corporal Kiva Surgat quietly looked out of the ship’s hatch as it slowed over the streets of the ravaged city below. Around her, soldiers were already leaping down the short distance to the ground, and the quick sounds of promethium fury incinerated the nearby infested, searing the pale, corrupted flesh, only broken by the subtle hiss of the reloading of the Incendiary Troop’s Ignus.

One of the mangled beasts broke through the line of soldiers, slamming into one of the Incendiary Troopers and knocked it over. Hungry growls came as the beast glared down at its soon to be prey.

Leaping from the open hatch herself now, Kiva slammed her body into the beast, grabbed the stunned trooper’s weapon, and with accuracy that only decades of war can give, swung the flamethrower to the creature and bathed it in crimson fury. The howls of the misshapen beast as it flailed in agony only led to her giving a savage smirk.

With her job done, Kiva lightly tossed the weapon back to the soldier she had borrowed it from, letting them continue to beat back the infested swarm as she dug a holoprojector from her sidepack. Quietly she cued it on, quickly being greeted by the stern face of her commanding officer.

Rraahudd, Corporal,” General Sargas Ruk greeted, his face distorted by the projector’s emission, flickering occasionally. “How goes the current hunt?”

Kiva simply smirked. “We have achieved planetfall, General. The Dragoons are prepared to capture your next prize, and we will have it in our grasp momentarily, if these blasted mutations don’t throw us a curveball.”

“See that we get it intact, Corporal. I would hate to destroy you for failing this... simple errand,” Ruk replied, before the hologram faded. Sighing to herself, Kiva quickly replaced the communication device before turning to her gathered soldiers.

“Move out. Ensure a perimeter and then converge on the vault’s location. I want it left intact, got it!?!” she barked out, and the gathered mass of soldiers did as she called, marching towards the destination further into the hive.

---

Now, the Grineer Empire march across the Solar Rails, conquering and capturing territory for their endless warmongering. Completely dominated with the need for war and territory, they are a frightening machine of war, constantly grinding until they are the strongest, and all are subjugated to them.

But, there is still another, though no less innocent in its actions.

---

The column of soldiers moved further into the twisted remains of the destroyed civilization, humanity’s many sky-high constructs turned into broken, twisting hives for the twisted creatures. Kiva’s soldiers, however, were the finest in the Grineer’s many squads, armed with decades of experience and the best equipment the Empire could acquire. Ruk wanted this prize, and he wanted it bad, otherwise she’d be stuck with the usual grunts and soldiers she was usually tied with.

As they entered the area reports pointed was the location of the vault, however, Kiva let out a curse in Grineer before stamping past her soldiers, growling deeply at the sight that met her gaze.

The vault was there, the strange fragment of Orokin construction broken and embedded into one of the complexes and nestled with fragments of the tecnolyte’s corruption. But, it was the things surrounding the tomb’s opening that gained Kiva’s ire.

Cold, heartless machines of the Corpus’s creations stood around the vault’s entry, weapons mounted on the machines as they swiveled, looking for targets. Other pieces of tech moved and curled around the area, working on their programmed tasks, like so many ants.

Standing in the middle, the only form of normal-looking in the metal beasts, a woman stood, observing the devices humming around her, quietly watching them as they work, tapping on a holographic pad in her hand, cataloging finds by the devices. Straddled to the woman’s back was a strange construction, several metallic limbs setting idle behind her, allowing full access to her normal limbs.

“OY! What are you programmed beasts doing here!” Kiva yelled to the tech standing in the machines, drawing near enough for the various sentry devices to swivel towards here, but not in range for them to fire. “You are in violation of USSC free trade laws by invading this site! We have strict right to any and all conquests found in this area, as was agreed by your superiors!”

The other figure let out an irritated sigh as she heard the approaching soldiers, lowering the holopad and turning to the source of the interruption. Slowly she approached, keying into the pad as she walked over, stopping near the sentry line. “Excuse me,” the woman said curtly, attaching the pad to one of the mech armatures as she stretched it to the Grineer commander, “But if you look at Section 3, Subsection 5, Clause 67, Segment 2, you would see that the Corpus Consortium has the right of doing surveys in all recently claimed territory, in order to record any surface findings and lost technology. The fact is, you are trespassing for reaching one of these sights with this large of a... pack behind you,” the figure said coolly, staring at them.

Kiva frowned deeply, giving only the briefest of glances before glaring at the Corpus across from her. “And you wonder why no one reads the contracts you swindlers write!!!”

---

And then, there is the Corpus. Dangerously curious, they will poke and prod at anything involving the Orokin era, looking for its secrets, but only for personal gain and profit, even if it destroys them. Their lust for the great fragments of your past have led them to committing many an atrocity, but to them, profits numb all feelings of remorse.

However, there is one force they fear. For you are returning. You are...

---

Minnow Borealis boredly stared at the tall Grineer in front of her, only half listening to the raving threats of calling the Council, impeaching her operation, outright killing her there and taking it by force, blah de freakin blah. She made a mental note to make a formal complaint to her commanding officer for this mission for such a petty setback to her own projects.

Finally, there was a gap in her incessant complaints, at which point Minnow quietly adjusted her glasses. “If you are quite done barking, I have an operation I need to finish,” she said, still coldly staring at her.

Kiva gave a howl of rage, before quickly yelling to her troops in Grineer, as they swiftly raised weapons in response to the command. Minnow rolled her eyes, and quickly keyed up her headset, parts of her Aegis armatures quickly opening energy shields to keep her safe. “Activate Moa pods 2, 3, and 7. Eliminate all Grineer forces in the premises of this dig site,” she stated coldly, even as the enemy soldiers started to advance.

Time seemed to slow, the soldiers tightening their grip on the various weapons in their hand, as behind Minnow, several of her robotic proxies charged forth, several of them firing already as they rushed to the attack.

And then, from somewhere else, a shot echos out, and one of the Moas collapses on itself, its legs tangling with its fellows and causing several of them to collapse. Another shot rings out, and a Grineer wielding an Ogris crumples.

Kiva and Minnow both stiffened, and finally looked away from the scrimmage lines they had caused, the composure both showing failing quickly as they came to the same conclusion.

“...Tenno...”

---

Trinity quickly leveled her Latron as she watched the Grineer and Corpus commanders suddenly realize the situation. Quickly, she cued to the com unit inside of her helmet, even as she lined up another shot to another of the Grineer soldiers. “Drider, Vespa. We need those soldiers out of there, can you get that?”

A calm, nearly airy voice meets her call, as if carried blissfully in the breeze. “Of course, they won’t catch us until it’s too late.”

“Good. I’ll be watching, youngbloods,” Trinity said simply, squeezing the trigger and watching the helmet of her target suddenly become empty.

On the opposite side of the fighting armies, two swift figures leaped from one of the broken facades. Almost gracefully, one of them quickly leveled herself out, swinging an intricately designed sniper to bear as she headed towards her targets. Snapping open behind her, two insectlike wings of a strange energy quickly grabbed into the air behind her, quickly breaking her into a glide. A giddy laugh escaped Vespa as she slowly glided towards them- and offering a perfectly balanced position to rain shots downward with her sniper as she approached.

The other frame quickly flicked her arms forward as she plummeted, twin strands of sinew-thin threads flicking into the middle of the assembled Grineer and quickly dragging her into a collision course. Deftly, she flicked out the daggers on her back, quickly bringing them to bear on a lancer that was the unfortunate position of her landing zone. His death screams were quickly followed by another as Drider’s fangs quickly found purchase into one soldier after another.

Watching in horror as a Tenno dived in from nowhere into her dragoon’s ranks, Kiva quickly shouted out a quick, decicive order. “Reteat! Fly you fools, we are outnumbered here!” Stomping towards the strange web-using Tenno, she swung her fist back, its knuckles crackling with energy, and slammed it into her into a brutish punch. A soft squeak escaped the figure as it flew away, causing her to give a soft smirk, even as she soon moved to retreat herself. “Let them rip the Corpus to shreds! Come on!”

Drider slammed into one of the wrecked walls, grunting as she got back to her feet. As she glared at the fleeing commander, she then noticed the remaining Moas quickly charging towards her, the remaining humanoid frowning at the interference from the Tenno and quickly flicking weaponized armatures from the pack on her back. Simply giving a derisive smirk, Drider quickly rolled towards the attacking proxies, with sprays of webbing quickly coating much of the nearby area, several of the robots getting hopelessly tangled.

Minnow simply frowned, the rail cannons of her equipment quietly sliding over her living shoulders as they primed, the lowest limbs of her armatures quickly digging into the ground for support. Even as Drider once again went to leap on the offensive and attack the immobile drones, she was interrupted by a sudden sharp force knocking her away as she was clipped by the rail cannons, an alarm beep ringing in her ears with her broken shields.

“Get off my property, Tenno...” Minnow growled, her weapons hissing from the extreme heat of firing as the leg limbs quickly picked her feet off the ground, fully supported by her mechanical limbs. Though as she went to advance on Drider, several blasts of gunfire to both sides caused Minnow to snap her shields up around her, reflecting the sniper fire from both directions. Hissing between her teeth, Minnow instead pounced backwards, even as her various robotic toys were destroyed around her.

Landing hard behind part of the broken structures, Minnow hissed angrily between her teeth. The Board will not enjoy this failure, but at the very least she can extract her own revenge. Digging into her equipment, she let a small little device free and slapped it onto a nearby broken fragment of the structure, where it began an ominous beeping.

“Hmph. Let the beasts devour them...” she grumbled, before once again leaping away, onward and towards her own extraction from this soon-to-be hellhole.

---

“Yeah! You better run, you... you... whatever the hell you are!!!” Drider yelled back, flailing her arm into a rather rude human hand gesture as the Corpus commander fled.

Vespa gracefully landed nearby her, only a soft skidding coming as her feet hit the ground. “Have to admit, I want one of her railguns if they can do that to you,” she commented, quietly slinging her Vectis to her back while her wings once again faded away.

Drider simply shot the wasp Tenno a dirty look. “Glad you care if I’m alright too...”

“Eh, you’ll live,” Trinity shot back, sliding down a nearby wall after arriving from her own perch. “Right, status on the vault. We need to see if it’s been unsealed.”

Quietly, the three Tenno approached the shattered Orokin construction, threading through the debris of the world’s destruction and the previous battle’s dead and destroyed. Upon reaching the remains of the relic, a sigh of frustration came from the elder Tenno. “I don’t know who that technician was or what her equipment is, but if the Corpus have figured out something of that caliber, I shudder to think what other tricks they’re working on. Least it seems we got here before they could open the vault.”

Reaching to her side, Trinity produced a small, golden key, gently raising it before the door. Arcs of golden energy leapt to it, causing her to let go of it hastily, as the key floated before the gateway for several moments before the door started to open, ancient mechanisms grinding slowly from the force of the elements, and revealing an alien landscape of fresh, nearly unmarred white and gold before them.

“Gaudy. As. Hell,” Drider remarked, and Vespa giggled a little.

Trinty just shook her head. “In...” she barked, and the two youngbloods quickly moved in. Before she herself entered though, she cued her contact device. “Thrak, status report?”

“A bit busy right now! Seems the infested have gotten rather mad all a sudden!” came the hurried reply. Trinity groaned to herself, before curtly nodding. They needed to act fast, and without a second thought, she too entered the vault.

---

Coldness. Emptyness. Nothing but darkness around her, even as she stirred for the first time in centuries.

Then, there was a hissing sound, as the cryo chamber she slept in slowly slid open. She fell, unsupported, before smacking into something cold in hard. Groaning, she slowly shook her head, just barely able to move herself, lethargy and pain of unused muscles causing her to struggle just to glance at the approaching figures.

Three figures, clad in strange, exotic armor neared. Her memory felt like she knew of them, though things were so hazy... it was hard to tell what was going on at the moment.

One of them, colored a deep red with several plates of armor from her hip, quickly bent down before her. Noise buffeted her ears, but her brain wasn’t working right. It was muffled, quiet, as if she had forgotten what language was like. Just how long was she asleep?

And why didn’t she remember who they were?

It seemed however, there were bigger issues, as the figure trying to talk to her quickly spun around.

And then the next few moments, chaos took over.

---

The sound of breaking rocks caught Trinity’s attention as she spun around, the two youngbloods and the freshly-awoken Tenno nearly forgotten as she quickly unholstered her long-gun in preparation of a new threat.

Thrak was flying backwards into the giant chamber where the cryopod had opened, and no sooner did he manage to land on his feet before a giant boulder followed him. A silver sheen quickly coated his body as he braced himself, the rock smashing against him and splintering into fragments against the mighty glacier that he was. Giving a grunt, he unholstered his Gorgon and quickly trained it back the way he had come. “We got a friend...”

Nearly as fast as Thrak had said so, another Tenno flipped through the opening, more broken fragments smacking and breaking around after him, but what soon followed him made Drider, Vespa, and Trinity all gasp and reach for their weapons. Skidding to a halt, Void too reached for the bow slung against his back, ready to fight.

The creature that followed was what could be easily described as ‘monstrous’. It was hard to tell what this infested had originated as, but the horrible mismatch of parts made it even harder. On a neck on the front of the beast, one of the Grineer’s masks peered blankly at them, a large brutish arm gripping the chamber’s opening off it’s right side, as it’s other arm on that side reached to the floor, the fused fingers acting as a leg to make up for one missing there. Breaking from the creature’s hunched back though was yet another body, ending in a flattened, carapaced head, a scythelike limb hanging idly down to the first pair of shoulders as it roared in challenge, with even more limbs and fragments of the virus leading down the creature to a long, fleshy mass of a tail, ending in four large, curved fingers, the entire mass flicking and slapping behind it as it glared downward at the Tenno.

As the Centipede roared out and started to hobble its way into the chamber, the Tenno quickly moved ranks, Thrak keeping its attention and firing wildly at its heads with the Gorgon, while Trinity stayed back and kept the newly-awakened Tenno behind her. Darting to the right, Drider fired wildly with her Braton, angry bullets adding to the cacophony as her aim wildly wavered. Meanwhile, to the left, Vespa skidding still as she quickly reeled her hands back, before swinging them forward, a sharp stinger stabbing into the creature’s face and causing it to reel back in anger. As it roared in fury, Void leveled his bow, before letting an arrow fly, right into the creature’s open upper maw. The arrow sliced into its weaker inner muscles, causing it to howl in pain and anger. Swiftly it swung around, sending its tail smashing into Thrak and causing him to fly backwards into Trinity.

With each volley of fire from the other Tenno, the creature continued to roar in anger, smashing around and slamming its misshapen body after them, ripping apart stairs and barricades in its need to eliminate these pests, even as they did their best to destoy it. With the chaos and the carnage though, they didn’t see the sixth Tenno stand.

Still unsteady from cryogenic slumber, she felt energy flow into her veins as she looked to the beast, a strange unearthy hatred of it and its kind swelling in her head. Sparks began to emanate from her hands as the anger burned into a white-hot fury, and without even thinking, the Tenno slammed her clawed hand into the floor.

Fire instantly burned from the spot, a rapidly-growing inferno spiraling around her and soon catching the area around her in the flames, swelling into an inferno that quickly engulfed the burnable fibers in the room. Among such matter though was the Centipede, which howled in pain and rage as it burst into hungry crimson flames. It writhed and flailed, before it collapsed with a floor-jarring thud.

Panting, she slowly got back to her feet, the figures she knew not the names of watching her oddly, unreadable through the unspeakable masks that each wore. Even as they identified themselves behind it, it showed nothing of the confusion and power that they had witnessed.

Suddenly, as if from nowhere, a voice reached her ears, and unlike the others, she could finally understand it.

Welcome Tenno. Come to me, there is much we need to discuss.