Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Very Low Gpu Usage With 980 Gtx & I7 4770K - Any 980 Owners Out There?

Spit5ire

CPU and GPU usage comes down to a lot of variables. But I wouldn't say only good games should stress just the GPU.

There are a lot of games out that demand a lot from the CPU, purely because of the complexity and size of the game. CPU's are the gatekeeper when it comes to how well your GPU will perform, no matter how well a game is optimized. Since they are telling the GPU what to do and left to do animations, AI/pathfinding, physics, audio, network, general calculations, gamelogic and basically everything you don't see.

Also you have to remember just because your CPU is only showing 50% utilization, doesn't mean it isn't bottlenecking in a game. Cache size and speed, bus speed, clockrate, IPC, all play a part. Some games prefer lots of cache, others prefer core speed, others just want more cores/threads (Laptop counterparts tend to have less of all of these to keep within TDP).

Optimization issues aside, Warframe is pretty taxing on the CPU. The way it does hosting is extremely heavy, purely because the host PC has to do all the network interpolation and hit-scan registration (If you've ever seen the CPU usage on a full TF2 or BF4 server, its huge). Then there is all the AI, objects and network traffic. 

Oh congrats man! So your RAM wasn't set right? Weird that would fix it!

Maybe you will see some more utilzation in other games now :D

Yeah in the bios option, it was on the "safe"default mode. Just turn on XMP profile 1 and done! Yup I'll check up on the other games as well. 

-snip-

this and what you're saying has litle to do with overall general optimization, and has more to do with tweaking the game for specific combinations of hardware and software.

which means actually conversing information so that tweaks can be made. saying "hurr this needs optimize" is not useful in any regard, and is wholly untrue for the vast majority of Players.

if you want anything to happen, you need to actually provide some information where Digital Extremes can see it. otherwise nothing will happen.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig this out, but got the same issue with Warframe dipping below 60fps on a regular base.

Interesting it's the same setup, i7-4770K, GTX 980. Gigabyte Z87X-Board.

But my RAM is already running at XMP-1866 (highest clock rate available), so nothing to tweak for me there :/

no, this is normal. Warframe does not heavily utilize GPU's, because it's really just fairly light on them.

depending on what's going on in the game, Framerate will vary. while i have not personally heard of current gen Northbridges and CPU's running into performance drops to the numbers you're suggesting (usually more like 60 at a minimum, with an average of more around 180-220), it will vary depending on what's going on in the game.

if your Desktop performance numbers are coming from say, someone using Mirage and Kohm/Supra/Detron/Et Cetera, and Notebook is just normal gameplay, then ofcourse the numbers will look peculiar.

however if you have scientific statistics for your notebook and Deskop, and that still shows the Notebook having a higher minimum, then you might be on to something.

and if that is the case, i would run down the basic list - update the Operating System / Drivers (please remember that there's more than just Video Drivers that exist), blah blah.

also, i certainly hope you've already checked the Launcher options and made sure Multi-Threading is on (or turn it off, in some rare cases having it off actually increased performance), and it would be recommended to run Warframe in 64-bit Mode in DX11. please don't check both DX10 and DX11.

it's very likely that the issue is located in your software settings, Operating System, or Motherboard.
i can guarantee the 'low' GPU Utilization is not the problem. that is completely normal for Warframe.

We know the issue with warframe being like this, We the lovers of this game want this to be more GPU optimized and more playable like Battlefield with Great GPU's and good hardware, Based that Warframe has a playerbase with S#&$ty computers I know that but most of them will not even pay Plat for this game.

Also most more money giving players with better systems are more likely to pay for platinum.

So I demand as one of the Donators for Warframe That I get Better performance for the system I currently use. and Considering I spent a little fortune at it This is ridiculous that I get same Lagg As OP.

And please shut op with that Repeated Message that is is totally normal for a game like this to utilize low GPU load and uses loads of Northbridge and CPU(Not good coding for a game), if this is the case I could run of a IGPU and make the game run the same, That is not Where I bought my GPU for.

And also GPU load gets more with Phisx, Man that takes loads of my GPU sicles Still runs at 35% load(5% more load)???

this and what you're saying has litle to do with overall general optimization, and has more to do with tweaking the game for specific combinations of hardware and software.

which means actually conversing information so that tweaks can be made. saying "hurr this needs optimize" is not useful in any regard, and is wholly untrue for the vast majority of Players.
if you want anything to happen, you need to actually provide some information where Digital Extremes can see it. otherwise nothing will happen.

If you want to know that I do not Agree what you say, Warframe uses loads of CPU I know this issue but I have one of the most performing CPU's to date as the OP has also it is not normal for a game like this to lagg like this, CPU utilization is not fully used and there is a head room for it to use as well.

Take my words as a fact that most of the People here in this thread Pay Big money for their High end systems and get same tard grade performance as a low Grade system, that's ridiculous.

Consider that you bought a €1000 GPU and CPU and get same S#&$ performance what would you think of this game?

Yes most of you think that this game is rubbish and poorly coded.

But we are a fanbase that likes the game as it was and with the good performance it once had.

Now Warframe hits a bottleneck and needs to participate for the low end players as they did and now they need to optimize it for the High end players fast before we all start fleeing the game.

Loads of people get annoyed by the bad performance games get over time, take some games for a example but all of them used more GPU then CPU.

Its sad to see that a game like this game feeds us more Useless content but no performance upgrades and fixes.

Also note that I also test it on a laptop (Lenovo Y50-70) that has 25% the performance of my desktop GPU wise, still I get same performance.

I Will give a link with my system specs currently(Text document): https://www.dropbox.com/s/99z7ce5mcktyx0p/THE-BEAST.txt?dl=0

Hope this Clears it up what most of the Users With Good Hardware Want.

Chao, The Roaring Lion Warlord of Shadow Lords

-snip-

it's a limitation of the Rendering API's available.

CPU's are like, 20% utilized on Desktops. most of their potential isn't even addressable by games.

in the near future this has the opportunity to signifcantly improve, but for the time being there's not much that can be done.

since Warframe is extremely CPU and Northbridge heavy - due to having a lot of AI Processing and other very heavy calculations - CPU side performance is worse than it usually is.

GPU's sit mostly idle because most of the game is CPU side. just simply the things that you do in this game, are CPU bound. things that cannot be GPU offloaded.

this isn't a problem in say, Battlefield, because CPU's sit mostly idle in it. there's not a whole lot going on CPU side.

while most of the game, being bloated, complicated visuals, gobbling up GPU's.

- - - - -

you can not believe it, as i'm sure you won't. but these words are trying to educate you about how Computers work. it's your decision whether you want to let it happen.

the answer is, yes, you could be using an iGPU with a CPU with extreme Single Threaded performance and that would perform well. because the game is simply weighted towards CPU. there is no 'bad coding' aspect of this. things like AI MUST be processed CPU side, GPU's don't know how to process it. AI is also very, very heavy to calculate.

AI is just one example, but it's also one of the biggest ones.

Ok I finally fixed it. I changed changed my ram options to XMP in bios and now I am running at 250 fps. Finally found it. 

Thanks all!!

Glad everything worked out! Thank you for letting us know what solved the issue. This information is extremely helpful for future diagnostics. 

-Snip-

You do not need to educate me how computers work I already know how they work and most games use GPU more and A certain load of CPU Warframe uses as a fact and I think you do not read all what I say.

The main question is.

Warframe uses much CPU: Does it have to use that much?

AI processing takes a hit in performance I know but still, this could be done by distributing the mob processing to all clients + the host, making load lower and gives the game more breathing room.

I know there are cases this does not work that is a given most players lagg extensively on this game to begin with. 

I got a friend (A game Dev) that says (I believe him after some extensive testing) that most of the graphical processing is done on the CPU and not on the GPU what all could be easily offloaded to the workhorse in loads of good systems.

Northbridge heavy is due to that Warframe uses too much CPU bound Graphical processing all Graphics are mostly done on the CPU It feels strange that warframe says Multithreaded rendering doesn't it? That should all be offloaded to the GPU as possible.

I could argue all day but in the end you want Warframe to run like baby smooth like everyone.

I did not see your specs, or tips of you how to make this game run faster.

I do not see any help in your responses you just say ah its this and cope with it.

Thats not what the OP asked for as same for me I got a reasonable system with good hardware and still getting this performance is not acceptable for me.

You could say Stop bragging but will not help with the majority of warframe players that do not want to heavily OC their systems and make it run better on Their systems that way.

Also Ram speed should not make the difference as apparently it does make a difference, it indicates Warframe uses loads of North bridge(Memory controller) traffic but that should not be the case to begin with.

Another indication Warframe uses CPU based Graphical processing.

Consoles have Low spec hardware and warframe seems to run S#&$ty on them as well, Referring to some posts on the XB1 and PS4 forums.

Chao, The Roaring Lion Warlord of Shadow Lords

Edited by TheRoaringLion

Take my words as a fact that most of the People here in this thread Pay Big money for their High end systems and get same **** grade performance as a low Grade system, that's ridiculous.

Consider that you bought a €1000 GPU and CPU and get same S#&$ performance what would you think of this game?

I am not quite sure where you are going with these posts. Spit5ire's issue involved memory management. It has since been resolved. If you are having an issue with performance then I would be more than happy to have it addressed in the form of a support ticket. As of right now I do not see any tickets sent by you containing an EE.log or DxDiag. This information, along with some details of where exactly you are seeing poor performance, would be extremely helpful in helping us resolve your issue.

Just for the record:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Motherboard: ASUS Z97

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Current Mode: 2560 x 1440

I also have a spare GTX 680 that I use as a dedicated PhysX GPU. (I sometimes forget to turn this on after a driver update and notice very little difference)

I do not overclock my system.

These are a few of the system specs for my own personal PC. This is not a PC I built just for Warframe. I built this as a fan of all PC games. With that said, in a few quick tests I have seen approx. ~220 FPS on Ceres, ~180FPS in Void. GPU settles at around 75°C. This is with all settings running on high and the game being rendered in 1440p resolution. I plan on doing some more extensive tests throughout the week.

Am I saying performance is perfect? Absolutely not. What I am saying is that high end systems should absolutely be capable of running the game at a very high frame rate. It is our goal to make sure that the game runs flawlessly for every platform, high end, and low end. If you are experiencing poor performance then I encourage you to submit a support ticket with the necessary info so that one of us can help you get the ball rolling in the right direction. 

Edited by DE_Dmitri

I am not quite sure where you are going with these posts. Spit5ire's issue involved memory management. It has since been resolved.

OP's issue was fixed... in February..

This guy dug the thread out:

Sorry to dig this out, but got the same issue with Warframe dipping below 60fps on a regular base.

But my RAM is already running at XMP-1866 (highest clock rate available), so nothing to tweak for me there :/

Other posters are just necro'ing flamewars.

We'd love to investigate this further. If you could open a ticket with support that'd be great! Thank you, EWar. 

As for the rest of this thread...The issue was in fact solved and fixed. Arguing it further is frivolous and redundant. Locking.