Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Melee Outdps Firearms?

Yinglong

You know why are you getting these crits?? combine melee multiplier with crit headshot on ancient, ye melee can headshot though it doesnt happen often due to how melee fighting and hitboxes work.

On "91k" movie you have moderately modded lanka criting for 135k on ancients btw.

The 91k was with 1.5x combo multiplier with crit on headshot.

The 441k was with 2x combo multiplier with crit on headshot.

The Lanka had a base 1,500-ish damage compared to Obex base of 130.4.....if my Obex had 1,500 base damage before crits....it would be amazing!

But that is what I was trying to convey: Melee does not have the same raw damage as firearms, nor damage boosting mods.

If the melee multiplier combo was easier to retain, end-game melee might be more accessible.

Currently only end-game Infested seems to be melee oriented.

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

Well good luck killing stuff fast enough at higher levels.

After scratching that heavy gunner for seconds or a minute, maybe you get tired of stunning and jumping around.

Melee should combine your options and be at least on par with guns to make it even worthwile.

I'm trying to do more melee and I find it hard to justify anything other than Dakra Prime with Crimson Dervish to kill lvl30 fast enough so it doesn't get TOO dangerous.

I even found out that some animations of Dragon Nikana kinda lock me, so I'm not able to throw a blind or a shock in to deescalate a bit. Melee right now is in a niche place where it's mostly used for coptering or finishing some enemies who strayed or survivors.

Melee needs a higher damage, faster change into stance, maybe a hipshot function for pistols and less stamina consuming.

However I still find it kinda fun.

dude i was owning crowds of t4 defense baddies with my dual cleavers earlier lol

Pressure point should go as high as Serration...NOT PRIMED PRESSURE POINT. Regular Pressure Point.

^This. It will take a LOT less to max a regular pressure point on top of being available all the time instead of a few days when Mr. Bling McPrime stops by and happens to have it. There is a very, very big difference here.

As for the OP, I do not think either type of weapon should out dps the other. I think their differences should come more from functionality rather than sheer numbers. Granted, they are different right now it's just that in some cases guns supersede melee in melee range. I think melee's main issue right is not the lack of damage. There are a lot of combos that lock you in to animations so you can't do things on the fly. Almost all combos lack a gapcloser as the first strike (brutal tide ftw), making approaching enemies more difficult (a good parkour system would solve this). hitting enemies in most cases does not stagger, leaving them free to attack while you are hitting them. Airborne melee attacks are practically non-existent. A gun does not share any of these issues on top of out dpsing melee.

To be honest, each weapon should have downsides; Melee has them. A lot of guns on the other hand, do not have downsides. In their current state, guns are too ammo efficient. They can be freely fired without the fear of losing all of your ammo and there are things to remedy this if losing ammo is possible. Enemies drop ammo a ton as well, making it even worse. The advantage of melee not needing ammo isn't really an advantage, because guns never run out of ammo. I think this should be changed, to help give melee an edge (dat pun doe). Of course, fixing melee's other issues should happen as well.

Melee should have some other benefit, like lifesteal, mobility, controlling enemies (stuns, knockbacks, etc), perhaps more burst damage during combos, blocking / counterattacks, etc...

I wouldn't necessarily it has to do more dps.

Melee should have some other benefit, like lifesteal, mobility, controlling enemies (stuns, knockbacks, etc), perhaps more burst damage during combos, blocking / counterattacks, etc...

I wouldn't necessarily it has to do more dps.

Melee has all of the above that you mentioned.

-Life-strike is life steal

-Copter, Directional-air melee, and certain combo/attack animations provide mobility

-Certain attack combos and certain weapons have stun, stagger, knockbacks/Ragdolls(Obex Brutal Tide, Seismic Palm, Crushing Ruin/Shattering Storm, Amphis jump slam, Serro Bleeding Willow, etcetera)

-Burst Damage during combos (Brutal Tide, Swirling Tiger, Cleaving Whirlwind, Crismon Dervish)

-Blocking/Counterattacks (other than mods) (Grim Fury, Flailing Branch, Seismic Palm, and Tranquil Cleave have built in counter attack parry - finisher setupsetup)