Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Devouring Virtual Memory For No Reason.

Kruglov

Warframe is supposed to only take up about 2 GB of RAM.

I have 3GB free.

A few weeks ago I experienced a strange error after an update where Warframe suddenly ate all 12GB of virtual memory on my C:// Drive in the span of about 10 seconds.

I made a topic about it, seen here: The Topic I made

I assumed the problem was because the Grustag 3 attacked me.

This is no longer the case.

Every time I turn on Warframe the EVOLUTION ENGINE is eating all my memory.

I even moved the paging file for windows to another drive so I could temporarily ignore it.

I have turned Warframe on 3 times since then and it has DEVOURED 20GB of virtual memory.

This is ridiculous.

And it only started happening about a month ago.

No other game I own does this.

I notice there's similar topics here in the forums for others getting memory errors.

Windows specifically telling them its the Evolution Engine doing it.

There's been no fix and the devs haven't said anything which is making me worry these cries are going unheard.

Warframe is one of the free-2-play games I actually enjoy and I'm now having to make the decision of whether or not to simply uninstall it because I can't play. The game runs for a few minutes then crashes because there's no longer any memory.

Why bother keeping it on my harddrive if this is the case?

It's happening to my friend Mike as well. When he plays Warframe for any period of time over a couple of minutes the game runs awful and eventually Windows is out of memory.

There is something very wrong here and its only occuring with Warframe.

Raids are coming soon, as is update 16.

I'd like to be able to play these with my guild when they come out.

If I can't play I'm pretty much forced to say goodbye to this neat game.

I have turned Warframe on 3 times since then and it has DEVOURED 20GB of virtual memory.

Hi Kruglov, can you please try to verify your download cache? You should see a cog wheel in the top right corner of your launcher. Click that, then click "Verify" under 'Download Cache'. Once that has finished you can try playing the game again.

If this does not help then I would suggest sending us a support ticket with a copy of your DxDiag as well as your EE.log immediately after this issue has occurred.

Your EE.log can be found in C:\Users\YourWindowsAccountName\AppData\Local\Warframe

The dxdiag can be found by simply running "dxdiag" by pressing Windows Key+R while on your desktop. 

Like I said, this should only really be necessary if verifying your download cache does not solve the issue.

Thanks a lot!

Your EE.log can be found in C:\Users\YourWindowsAccountName\AppData\Local\Warframe

The dxdiag can be found by simply running "dxdiag" by pressing Windows Key+R while on your desktop. 

You can also enter %localappdata%\Warframe into your explorer navigation bar and will end up at the same place.

Aye I'm quite familiar with %appdata% at this point and all the various shortcuts to get to it.

Never even noticed a Warframe folder down there.

Probably because it's "W" and I never scroll quite that far!

As a once-very-avid player of a certain voxel-based digging and mining javascript game whose name I will not utter, I've had to deal with that particular appdata folder quite a bit!

Alright because I verified the cache once before and it didn't fix this weird (weird) issue I've sent the EE and DXDIAG files to support.

I read through them as well out of curiosity and in my very educated opininion (high schoold diploma) I have no idea what I'm lookin' at.

I hope you folks can figure out what's happening.

This really is one of the few games I like anymore.

The other one (planetside) is literally dying and most other free-2-play games feel like someone is ramming a hot poker into my bum. :c

This game scratches all my itches and I'm very itchy.

Alright because I verified the cache once before and it didn't fix this weird (weird) issue I've sent the EE and DXDIAG files to support..

It looks like your video card is using driver version 9.18.13.1422 which appear to be fairly old. This may have something to do with the memory consumption you've been seeing. Is there any chance you could try updating your GPU? I'd recommend installing these and then trying again: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/81877

EDIT: I would also suggest lowering your settings, specifically Adaptive Exposure and Ambient Occlusion. 

Edited by DE_Dmitri

It looks like your video card is using driver version 9.18.13.1422 which appear to be fairly old. This may have something to do with the memory consumption you've been seeing. Is there any chance you could try updating your GPU? I'd recommend installing these and then trying again: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/81877

My Nvidia drivers are up to date, and I've been getting similar issues. The game starts off using about 300mb of ram, but after a few missions, it's ballooned upwards of 1,200mb. If it passes like 1,500mb, the system crashes entirely, BSoD and all. It might be higher than that, but I've never seen a functioning system check north of 1,477mb. If I had to guess, it appears to be something to do with other players--playing solo doesn't leak as badly/quickly as multiplayer missions do.

My Nvidia drivers are up to date, and I've been getting similar issues. The game starts off using about 300mb of ram, but after a few missions, it's ballooned upwards of 1,200mb. If it passes like 1,500mb, the system crashes entirely, BSoD and all. It might be higher than that, but I've never seen a functioning system check north of 1,477mb. If I had to guess, it appears to be something to do with other players--playing solo doesn't leak as badly/quickly as multiplayer missions do.

I've sometimes had performance issues when playing with three-player or four-player squads (so, with two other or three other players).  Never had system crashes, though. Then again, I've also increased my virtual memory paging file. I do think Warframe has some memory issues, though, as I've seen Warframe using GBs worth of memory as well.

I reinstalled the game and updated my graphics card drivers.

I now have the GEFORCE EXPERIENCE which means I can use Shadowplay I guess. Though I never would because I have benchmarking software that has a fantastic screen capture app within it. I regret paying 20 bucks for FRAPS years ago. What a fool I was. A FOOL.

Anyway, I turned on Warframe again and ran around as my Hydroid in the Mercury relay for a few minutes. I was unable to connect to any missions or play with others due to some other problem where Warframe doesnt seem to like my network. But I think that's a seperate issue entirely!

On the matter at hand, Warframe is still eating up my pagefile. NOT AS BADLY! Not even close to as badly. In short my pagefile was 7GB before I turned on Warframe then grew to 8 after playing. A pretty big improvement, although it shouldnt be taking that up anyway since I still have all this free RAM lying around. It's still using up far more than 2.5GB of RAM when I run it. The_Killers_For_Reasons_Unknown.mp3

I have a rather terrible theory it might have something to do with the Sancti Castanas defocus mask.

I didn't have the Sancti Castanas before this started happening. And as anyone who owns them will tell you, they are in a constant state of motion blur, even when holding perfectly still. I didn't really start using the SanCasts until the day the G3 whacked me.

Is it even remotely possible this item in the game is somehow making the Evolution Engine go crazy?

Or is my theory the babbling pseudoscience of a madman?

I reinstalled the game and updated my graphics card drivers.

I now have the GEFORCE EXPERIENCE which means I can use Shadowplay I guess. Though I never would because I have benchmarking software that has a fantastic screen capture app within it. I regret paying 20 bucks for FRAPS years ago. What a fool I was. A FOOL.

Anyway, I turned on Warframe again and ran around as my Hydroid in the Mercury relay for a few minutes. I was unable to connect to any missions or play with others due to some other problem where Warframe doesnt seem to like my network. But I think that's a seperate issue entirely!

On the matter at hand, Warframe is still eating up my pagefile. NOT AS BADLY! Not even close to as badly. In short my pagefile was 7GB before I turned on Warframe then grew to 8 after playing. A pretty big improvement, although it shouldnt be taking that up anyway since I still have all this free RAM lying around. It's still using up far more than 2.5GB of RAM when I run it. The_Killers_For_Reasons_Unknown.mp3

I have a rather terrible theory it might have something to do with the Sancti Castanas defocus mask.

I didn't have the Sancti Castanas before this started happening. And as anyone who owns them will tell you, they are in a constant state of motion blur, even when holding perfectly still. I didn't really start using the SanCasts until the day the G3 whacked me.

Is it even remotely possible this item in the game is somehow making the Evolution Engine go crazy?

Or is my theory the babbling pseudoscience of a madman?

Definitely not the sanctis. This has been going on since about u14.8(before syndicates even existed). It's been improving over time, as more and more streamlines and fixes are deployed, but it's still pretty bad.