Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Overload Rework

DrBorris

TL;DR: Overload has a duration of ten seconds, chaining between enemies remains similar as to how it is now, but the chains remain visually present for the entire duration of Overload. Any enemy that comes in contact with the chains will be stuck in the shock proc for the rest of the duration along with the initial targets and subjected to the damage of Overload.

Volt is a great frame now, he is one of the most balanced frames in the game, capable of low level damage and high level utility… but then comes his 4.

For any person who says “but Overload has CC,”… just no. It is more effective/safer to use shock from range four times than suicide in the middle of a group (where Volt is not supposed to be anyway) and press 4. And you probably only need to cast Shock only once to get the same result as Overload in most cases. In addition, comparing Overload to Stomp (another damage/CC 4 ability), Stomp has more damage and more consistent CC than Overload.

Seeing Volt as a cross between a Damage and CC frame, I think it makes sense to give Overload more scaling damage and more effective CC.

The basic concept is to have Overload be based on Duration (10 seconds), but have some other fancy tricks to have it scale with mob size better, have it scale with player skill (forethought), have it work with the fast TTK of enemies, have scaling damage, and have reliable CC worth the 100 energy.

Overload will work in two phases, Initial Activation and the Remaining Duration.

Initial Activation

This entire process happens almost instantaneously.

• First thing is first, when Volt casts Overload the effects are largely similar to how they are now. All enemies will be put into the Shock animation for the remaining duration and be subject to damage.
  • The enemies in the initial range will have a range around them (about a 5m radius) where, if there is another enemy, the effects of Overload will chain to them. This is only applicable for the initial moment an enemy is brought under Overloads effects. For example, if enemy A walks into the 5 meter range of enemy B under the effects of Overload after enemy B was put under Overloads effects, enemy A will be unaffected. On the other hand, if enemy A is within the range of enemy B when enemy B is initially brought under Overloads effects, A connection will be made from enemy B to enemy A and enemy A will be brought under Overloads effects.
  • Electronics behave similarly, but have a 10 meter radius rather than a 5 meter radius to effect other enemies if caught in the Initial Activation.
  • When an enemy is brought under the effects of Overload, they will make an electric connection to all other enemies under the effects of Overload within a ten meter radius.
  • The chains of electricity will remain between enemies for the remainder of the duration, even if the enemy dies (the enemy will have some visual cue if they are dead like looking scorched)
  • These enemies get a base 500 damage from being brought under the effects of Overload.

Remaining Duration

I am sure you noticed the emphasis I put on the chains between enemies, this is where that becomes important.

• Any enemy that comes in contact with a chain will be brought under Overloads effects (but not have any of the 5 meter range stuff from the Initial Activation, they just get stunned and take damage). These enemies will add to the total body count of the Overload.
  • The damage scales based on the amount of enemies in the group. There is a base damage of 100 damage per second.
  • For every enemy in the affected area 10 extra damage is added (similar to how it works now). Thus, if there are 5 enemies under the effects of Overload, each enemy will receive 150 damage per second. Or, if there are 20 enemies under the effects of Overload, they will receive 300 damage per second.
  • Electronics are rare in the grand scheme of things, some tiles have no electronics on them. Due to being so electronically focused, I believe that electronics giving a massive boost is okay. Electronics would add 50 damage per second to enemies effected by Overload (total of 500 extra damage over the entire duration).
  • Alternate to damage model: Rather than using body counts, the total amount of chains in the group or the amount of chains connecting to an individual enemy could determine bonus damage.

If you understand what I mean from the above, congratulations. But because I don’t even really understand what I wrote, I shall make some pretty pictures to explain.

Key:

• Blue Circle = Volt
  • Green Circle = Enemy
  • Light Blue Area = Initial Range of Overload
  • Green Circle with Blue Outline = Enemy under Overloads effects
  • Blue outline with no fill = Range of Initial Chaining
  • Blue Line = Electricity Chain

Initial Activation

Keep in mind that the following pictures (1-5) all happen near instantaneously.

MGwqU0rl.png

This shows Volt in a group of enemies before Overload is cast.

LXUSghil.png

This shows the first stage of the Initial Casting, the enemies in the initial range all have a 5 meter range around them that increases the effective range of Overload. The Blue lines represent the chains that connect the enemies.

p9gF62Ll.png

The increased range of Overload leads to five more enemies being brought under effect. Chains are further made between the enemies.

DmEG7Pul.png

Two more enemies are brought under the effects of Overload. Notice how no more enemies are within the effective range, thus the chains can no longer spread.

Ofunxs2l.png

This shows how enemies beyond the initial cast range are brought under the effect of Overload.

Remaining Duration

This is only two frames, but what happens here lasts ten seconds (unmoded)

a6Via5xl.png

In this, Volt has left and the chain of enemies is left to itself. Due to having 13 enemies under the effects, each enemy is receiving 230 damage per second. Each of the enemies will remain in the shock proc until the duration ends.

QdKxCsLl.png

This shows some of the enemies that were unaffected by the initial cast of Overload being brought under its effects by wandering into the chains. These enemies are only brought under the effects when they come in contact with the chain, not when they enter the 5 meter range of the enemies. Now that there are 16 enemies under the effects of Overload, each enemy is no receiving 260 damage per second.

If you read my Ember rework a while ago, you will see some parallels between that and Scorched Ground. However, The CC capabilities of this far surpass Scorched Ground (100% proc and larger range) and there is no damage boost for allies.

Thank you all for reading, any feedback would be awesome.

But it is fun to kamikaze every once in a while and overload.  Don't Spam it but use it in a pinch.

Maybe they can put a cool down time in.

When the survival missions get crazy and ememies are coming from everywhere and the only thing you are interested in is where extraction is........

Overload is so enjoyable.

This rework keeps the awesomeness of Overload, but makes it more effective and arguably more awesome. Volt still does his fancy animation, you see the sparks still fly, but now those electrical chains stay in place, making it be even more of light show. Also, the range of the lights could possibly extend an entire room (it it is crowded enough). I would compare the current Overload to Crush, visually appealing but a suicide button.

• 1 month later...

This is exactly what I was thinking and what i would like as an Overload rework. Volt deserves a better ulti.

The chaining/Shock proc idea is awesome, and it would make him a true CC/Utility frame. Perfect support frame.

Meanwhile, I will make Volt Prime the best CC out there combining radiation Amprex and Electric Shield. Yeah........

Shockgasmic.