Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De Why Did You Change Excalibur's Immortal Skin Channeling Effect?

cobra302

I have read and followed many topics here on the forums but have never felt a need to comment as so many other great players have always voiced the same opinions as I have. However, today I equipped my excalibur and found that DE has changed the channeling effect of the immortal skin.

The previous version of the channeling was fantastic. It was vibrant, brilliant, and visible. In fact, it was so great that I frequently got compliments on its appearance as well as comments from other players who stated that it was the best channeling effect of any frame. I think the previous skin channeling effect was in fact great and am deeply disappointed that DE has decided to change it to the lackluster and underwhelming implementation that we see currently. In addition, I try to read all the patch notes but do not recall seeing any mention of changes to the immortal skin channeling effects. If someone has seen that stated and could offer a quote it would be appreciated.

I would like to ask DE why they changed the skin, what they were thinking, why it wasn't noted, and to please change it back to the way it was before.

Here are some photos for reference of the before (fantastic skin) and current (lackluster disappointing skin) effects.

== Before ==

Warframe_x64_2014_11_14_22_59_30_647.jpg

Warframe_x64_2014_11_14_22_59_32_536.jpg

== Current ==

Warframe_x64_2015_03_03_19_17_09_632.jpg

Warframe_x64_2015_03_03_19_17_31_489.jpg

===============================================================

I recently equipped my mag prime with immortal skin and noticed that it still looks nice. The primary reason that the channeling on mag's immortal skin, tint mask 4, looks good is because it covers a large percentage of the frame's model. In contrast the excalibur immortal skin channeling covers a very small percentage of the model which is why it now looks bad. Tint mask 4 on excalibur needs to be fixed to use the same tint mask as previous so that it covers a larger portion of the frame.

Here is how mag's immortal skin channeling looks now.

Warframe_x64_2015_03_12_15_15_14_502.jpg

Warframe_x64_2015_03_12_15_15_39_211.jpg

Edited by cobra302

Channeling usually breaks for a multitude of frames every couple of hotfixes/updates and has never been intended, they are usually fixed fairly fast. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the case this time as well.

Edited by Kedai

The Excal immortal skin was always an odd duck when it comes to channeling. The general rule is that Tint Mask 4 determines channeling as well, but the Excal Immortal skin has always used Tint Mask 1, which is far more awesome looking.

I expect this was accidentally changed while he was receiving the PBR treatment.

Channeling usually breaks for a multitude of frames every couple of hotfixes/updates and has never been intended, they are usually fixed fairly fast. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the case this time as well.

I don't know, man, Excalibur Prime's channeling has been broken for the longest time now.

I hope you are correct and that this is simply a mistake. However, the fact that the channeling is now on a different part of the pattern and the strength of the appearance is greatly reduced makes me think that it is an intentional change. As egregiousRac said, the channeling has always been different on the immortal skin and even though it was great and most people thought it was great, I can't help but think the change was some effort by DE to make it more similar to other frames regardless of whether or not that is what the players actually wanted.

Perhaps we will get an official response from DE soon to clear up the mystery.

Edited by cobra302

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think it's broken. In recent designs, they've steered towards greater subtlety with channeling effects. Sometimes, less is more, and that can be reasonably applied to the amount of body area that should ever be glowing.

This. No other skin have such channeling effects like the old immortal skin of Excal - so it fits well now.

I don't think it's broken. In recent designs, they've steered towards greater subtlety with channeling effects. Sometimes, less is more, and that can be reasonably applied to the amount of body area that should ever be glowing.

I understand that personal preferences vary. However, as I mentioned, many people liked the way Excalibur's immortal skin channeling looked previously. While you may prefer barely noticeable channeling effects a lot of people do not. There were threads before that always get created when the channeling effect gets inadvertently toned down and doesn't look as bright begging DE to fix it. In addition, you say it isn't broken but I say it was never stated as a correction or fix in the patch notes (as DE did with the proto skin) and therefore it was unintended and needs to in fact be fixed since it is broken.

This. No other skin have such channeling effects like the old immortal skin of Excal - so it fits well now.

I disagree. Did you look at the photos of mag's immortal skin that I put in my first post? I even discussed how mag's had a larger percentage of area which illuminates and that is why it looks good.

Edited by cobra302

I disagree. Did you look at the photos of mag's immortal skin that I put in my first post? I even discussed how mag's had a larger percentage of area which illuminates and that is why it looks good.

And still this isnt a majority. I remember that the immortal skin of Nekros have big channeling areas too - but my feel (I dont have counted them) is that the majority of frames have only small and defined channeling areas.

A solution for your problem could be more alt skins - but these could take a while.

• 3 weeks later...

And still this isnt a majority. I remember that the immortal skin of Nekros have big channeling areas too - but my feel (I dont have counted them) is that the majority of frames have only small and defined channeling areas.

A solution for your problem could be more alt skins - but these could take a while.

Just because a particular design doesn't appear on the "majority" of the frames does NOT mean that it is therefore broken or not broken. Many frames have different appearances and characteristics unique to themselves. The simple fact is that the channeling effect was changed, it was not noted in any patch notes, and therefore is a bug and is broken until DE states otherwise. And I still also maintain that most people preferred the look that it had and it should remain. If DE has chosen to change the channeling to mask 4 then they need to increase the percentage of frame area that is covered with mask 4 to maintain the bolder appearance it had when channeling.

I also want to express my dissapointment as to the change in channeling effects on the Excalibur Immortal Skin.  As the first poster said, I used to get compliment on how good the Excal looked while channeling with the immortal skin.  The current effect which lights up Tint Color #4 is nearly unnoticeable, and actually kind of ugly.  The Immortal Skin Tint #1 (Primary Color) has a much more stunning effect and even sort of makes the Excal look like he's on fire!  The current effect is a shame. 

Excalibur is and always has been known as a melee dominant Frame, he was the first, the Flagship, his melee channeling effects should be the baddest in the game.  Please Bring It Back - Melee Channeling Effects Immortal Skin Primary Tint #1:

I have been referencing this thread in other related threads and attempting to ask DE to please acknowledge and confirm the status of this bug. Rebecca has now responded in a different thread to this thread.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/467317-channeling-effects-are-broken-on-seemingly-all-frames/#entry5269347

forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/467317-channeling-effects-are-broken-on-seemingly-all-frames/#entry5269347

Rebecca, Since you have been so kind as to respond to this thread regarding channeling effects, could you please perhaps take a moment to respond to the thread I created on March 3, 2015 which has yet to receive any response? I have also linked to it an mentioned it several times on the update threads to no avail. Please either fix the excalibur broken channeling or state definitively that is was purposely changed even though it was never noted in any patch notes. This would thereby eliminate confusion as to whether it is a bug or an intended change. Thank you.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/411633-de-why-did-you-change-excaliburs-immortal-skin-channeling-effect/

forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/411633-de-why-did-you-change-excaliburs-immortal-skin-channeling-effect/

I will comment in this thread when I have talked to the parties involved in the Art & Science of Channeling - a bit more info needed but early judgement is it looks like a bug.

As for OP - please verify your cache in the launcher (a recommendation that may solve your problem).

Edited by cobra302

• 1 month later...