Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Melee Stances Look Awesome And Are Wasted Potential. Melee 3.0

Mastikator2

Most of the melee stances look cool and the would be extremely good if they weren't wasted.

I'm gonna take Cleaving Whirlwind as an example, but it applies to nearly all stances.

Lets take the Sundered Tusk

CleavingWhirlwindCombo2.gif

In the right circumstance this is a great attack, but in most situations most of these attacks will miss and be wasted, so Sundered Tusk is wasted potential.

But wait, I have a solution! Rather than having a few (2-4) long animation sequences, break that into a many short animation sequences.

Such as E + Up = Overhead swing.

E + Side = Side swing (broken bull)

E + Block + Up (after overhead swing) = Overhead swing slam.

E + Back = Drifting Stamped Slam

And so on.

Take all the existing attack sequences and break them into individual attacks that can be combined freely, that way you can use the one that is right for the situation, it would remove most of the skill-cap that exists and give a buff both in power (a much needed one) and in gameplay enjoyment and quality of life. It would make melee more fun.

Take a lesson from successful fighting games like street fighter, it's not the long complex fighting moves that matter, it's the short ones, and combining them into an improvised dance of martial arts.

I like your idea. Imagine if this happens, diversity in melee combo without trying so hard to pull of a long combo using (usually) quick melee button that would most of the time miss.

Edited by Oranji

I like your idea. Imagine if this happens, diversity in melee combo without trying so hard to pull of a long combo using (usually) quick melee button that would most of the time miss.

Best of all is they could recycle all the current animations, the only thing they have to add is the key-combos.

And you don't have to go to combat animations in game, you could just key-mash to find things out on the go rather than trying to time the pause correctly.

I like this, it reminds me of Soulcalibur, but it wouldn't work here.  In the settings there is one option called "align Melee to camera" or something like that.  Players who have this option disabled cannot use combos that require a side or backwards input because they have told the game not to aim melee where they look, but rather where they move towards.  I like this idea, but it won't happen.

I like this, it reminds me of Soulcalibur, but it wouldn't work here.  In the settings there is one option called "align Melee to camera" or something like that.  Players who have this option disabled cannot use combos that require a side or backwards input because they have told the game not to aim melee where they look, but rather where they move towards.  I like this idea, but it won't happen.

By "UP" I mean "W", or "UP" on the keypad. Not the mouse movement. I fear it would be like wallrunning if it's based on the mouse, where you have trouble controlling if you're doing a vertical or horizontal wallrun.

So E + W = Overhead swing. E + S = Drifting Stampede Slam. E + A/D = Broken Bull Side Swing.

It could totally work. Have faith my young padawan.

Using melee witout being locked into a 5-second animtion? Sounds good to me.

Not swinging at empty space half the time? I like this too.

Not having all advanced melee combat locked behind a rythm mini-game that can be completely defeated by connection lag? Wow, I might actually use it sometime!

All of my +1 to this idea.

By "UP" I mean "W", or "UP" on the keypad. Not the mouse movement. I fear it would be like wallrunning if it's based on the mouse, where you have trouble controlling if you're doing a vertical or horizontal wallrun.

So E + W = Overhead swing. E + S = Drifting Stampede Slam. E + A/D = Broken Bull Side Swing.

I know, that's the problem.  People who have "Align Melee to Camera" turned off cannot use any movement keys except forward when meleeing or it will turn them in whatever direction they press.  As I said, I like this idea, but I can't see it working in Warframe.

I think you meant to quote Sasquatch there. The one you were quoting was saying if you don't have the option set to align melee to camera, you swing in what movement direction you're holding (WASD), so it wouldn't work for that setup.

Can't say it would work well with mouse movement at all, though, so I'm not sure what solution there would be for when that option is disabled.

This is something a lot of people wanted to see. Personally I think the best option would be a 2 button melee system that is "wide and shallow": multiple short attacks that are easier to chain together. Also, If you use directional inputs then Forward isn't a great option since it becomes too easy to accidentally use that attack just by moving, a few of the existing combos have that issue. A double tap is an easy way to fix that.

I would be fine with the current system, but we need to be able to cancel out of combos.

That and stamina overhaul would set a good foundation for further improvement to melee.

Also, tying the melee into movement direction keys is pretty much a bad idea imho. In every game I've played with such a system it was pretty clunky.

I know, that's the problem.  People who have "Align Melee to Camera" turned off cannot use any movement keys except forward when meleeing or it will turn them in whatever direction they press.  As I said, I like this idea, but I can't see it working in Warframe.

I don't mean in terms of your alignment with the camera. E + A = always side swing, no matter where you're facing or how your camera is angled. There is no problem with that, it doesn't matter how you're moving, facing or camera angle is facing, you can always do a side swing if you press the E and A keys.

I don't mean in terms of your alignment with the camera. E + A = always side swing, no matter where you're facing or how your camera is angled. There is no problem with that, it doesn't matter how you're moving, facing or camera angle is facing, you can always do a side swing if you press the E and A keys.

You are mission my point entirely.  Some people do not align melee to their camera, for these people, pressing A would make them turn left, thus redirecting the hit in a direction they might not wont it to go, pressing S would make them turn completely around (180 degrees), making them hit behind them.  Some players prefer this, and such players cannot use directional based combos because such combos make then go in a direction they don't want to go.

Edited by xXRampantXx

You are mission my point entirely.  Some people do not align melee to their camera, for these people, pressing A would make them turn left, thus redirecting the hit in a direction they might not wont it to go, pressing S would make them turn completely around (180 degrees), making them hit behind them.  Some players prefer this, and such players cannot use directional based combos because such combos make then go in a direction they don't want to go.

Ooohh I see what you're saying.

Just make you not turn when using a directional combo. If you're facing left and hit E + S you don't down turn, you just do the E + S attack in the same direction, if you want to turn then you have to press S first then E + S.

Edited by Mastikator2

All these combos wouldn't be such wasted potential if the slide was removed..

(Inb4, "BURN THE WITCH, THIS TALK IS HERESY!")

1) I don't see what the slide has to do with it, the current combos would still be too situational if the slider was removed

2) Slide attacks serve a purpose in this game

3) Burn the witch.