Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About Afk Punishments...

lightdragon64

so looking at the newest hotfix for warframe i noticed that it now just makes it to where people not only get no rewards... but also can't gain energy correct? dosen't that kind of just waste the time of people who have a long mission ahead of them and there is somebody lagging behind because he has no energy and is not going to get rewarded for the mission in the end...

why do we not just have an auto kick for these people?

-they aren't getting rewarded

-they can't gain energy for powers

-they already went afk in the first place (and odds are they are going to be afk for awhile if they are already afk long enough to get everything above to happen)

so why don't they just get kicked from the game via an afk timer?

just a thought...

EDIT: the way i would impliment this system is to where it would only punish those who are truely not doing anything...

-if you are using a warframe power that keeps you in once place and is meant to be used for a long period of time (such as mesa's peacemaker and hydroids undertow) it should not kick you

-if you die and run out of revives you should still get your rewards from up to that point (i think it's dumb that if i were to die and run out of revives after helping out for most of the mission and not getting any rewards is really stupid)

-it should be able to detect patterns (eg macro set up to make the player move once every now and then) and kick them if the pattern keeps repeating...

-i want a system that punishes the TRUE afk'rs  not those who just so happened to be standing in one spot/died for a certain amount of time... if you are helping out with the mission you should not be kicked/punished.

-also i like the idea of somebody being marked as afk and letting the players decide if they should kick then...

Edited by lightdragon64

From what I heard, the AFK timer is far too strict in the first place (happens way too soon)

And I think it should only happen in a group to begin with.

then why not make the afk timer a bit longer... i believe it is only 1:00 correct? i think a 2-3 minute timer would be fine it's just that i feel there are people who would find ways to stay in game just by touching the keys every now and then... perhaps it should track the players movement... if they are only moving once every now and then it should also kick them

-as for group i would agree... the thought of an auto kick or not getting rewards should never apply to solo... (if that's what you mean)

Because all DE knows to do is apply these:

-snip-

...instead of fixing the actual issue at hand

yes exactly...

God no, auto kick would be WORSE. I don't want to be kicked because I sat in Undertow and had to go take a dump.

well i would assume that because you are using an active warframe ability it shouldent kick you... but if you do go afk long enough it would be more usefull to the group if you were to get kicked and replaced (no offence) ... just saying but afkers are a pretty big issue in warfame right now

This is why I say leave the kicking to the players, once flagged for going afk let players decide.  If you let your fellow friendlies know that you are going afk most understand.

hmm... i'm skepitical about a vote kick system... (i have seen them abused beyond belif) but if a player were to be flagged for being afk and then could be vote kicked... that may be different...

well i would assume that because you are using an active warframe ability it shouldent kick you... but if you do go afk long enough it would be more usefull to the group if you were to get kicked and replaced (no offence) ... just saying but afkers are a pretty big issue in warfame right now

They're not a big enough issue to screw over regular players

Ehh some AFK'ers have some helpful mods on like energy siphon so I'd rather not kick them but I feel you maybe if you're in an exterminate, def, or survival and haven't gotten one kill in a while you should be gonezo.

this is what i'm getting at... people who are being completely useless should be kicked while those who are not shouldent... also i like mysteyman2000's idea to where once marked for afk then the people could vote kick... not before...

...instead of fixing the actual issue at hand

Can't fix stupid son...

By which I mean, DE can't make bad players good.

If by big issue you mean enough players are complaining that there are all these theoretical instances where somehow being afk is valid. I'm certainly glad there is now a means to prevent afkers from profiting, as before it took a concerted effort to ripline or switch teleport those folks into dangerous areas to die hopeless deaths.

Can't fix stupid son...

By which I mean, DE can't make bad players good.

If by big issue you mean enough players are complaining that there are all these theoretical instances where somehow being afk is valid. I'm certainly glad there is now a means to prevent afkers from profiting, as before it took a concerted effort to ripline or switch teleport those folks into dangerous areas to die hopeless deaths.

What's stopping an AFK'er from setting up a macro that makes them move every so often? 

Auto-kick is a good way to nerf Mesa into the ground.

if you mean by using her 4th ability it would auto kick because you were technically in one spot? no... what i mean is not using your warfame powers... not moving AT ALL... and anything along the lines of most definately should result in a kick...

What's stopping an AFK'er from setting up a macro that makes them move every so often? 

i also feel that a movement tracker should be in place... for instanse... if a player is not moving but one every now and then (such as setting up a macro to make the player move just a little bit every once in a while) then it should still kick them because they are'nt contributing to the mission...

if you mean by using her 4th ability it would auto kick because you were technically in one spot? no... what i mean is not using your warfame powers... not moving AT ALL... and anything along the lines of most definately should result in a kick...

i also feel that a movement tracker should be in place... for instanse... if a player is not moving but one every now and then (such as setting up a macro to make the player move just a little bit every once in a while) then it should still kick them because they are'nt contributing to the mission...

That would end up screwing over frost players. I disagree with anything kicking anyone. If my doorbell rings and I tell my team that I need to answer my door they're usually perfectly fine with it. I'd hate to have to plug in a gamepad and tape down an analog stick to prevent the game from kicking me while I answer the door (or use the restroom).

Afk kicks! YES! Of course! Let's make the afk system kick people instead of cutting off the affinity and energy gain because the current afk system totally isn't notorious for activating on players who are actually playing the game. Nothing makes me happier than an invisible unreliable system that has the power to kick you. Let's also make the system have 10% chance to kick you anyways for the hek of it because kicks are cool. I also think that we need to have the kick to eat all your platinum and sell all you frames and weapons because kick isn't punishing enough. Gambling is fun.

This fix is there only for 1 reason, to stop e gate.

For egate to work you need to stand on small space where there is not enough place to move enough to get rid of afk and if you move outside you wont get spawns in needed location, for the same reason using powers doesnt remove afk flag.

De doesnt want to touch their procedural generation for whatever reason, removing bug with enemies spawning in same exact spot would fix it.

Fixing p42w would also fix that problem, especially that de realises that this is a problem.

Reworking energy as suggested thousands times would work here.

And you know whats worst, i fear that this isnt gonna be temporary fix, but de really wants to keep it that way.

Edited by Davoodoo

Why is this a bandaid?

This does not address the core issues causing the player behavior. It is a very meager attempt to detour it at the expense of normal players.

Why does egate happen?

Contrary to the tinfoil hats, they are not sitting there stroking evil goatees and cursing DE for existing.  Its a symptom of a much larger problem with expected progression rates and resource demand.

Why wont DE fix this?

Because this is a gray area that involves rethinking a lot of the core game features that promote platinum sales.  Its easier to demonize and punish than it is to analyze and correct.

God no, auto kick would be WORSE. I don't want to be kicked because I sat in Undertow and had to go take a dump.

Funny, because you sitting in undertow while taking a dump is why I *want* to kick you.

And OP - you're not going to get the AFK tag unless you've been inactive for *two minutes*.  Lagging behind isn't going to do this, standing in the corner is.