Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A New Machete Stance: Kali Escrima

TheCometCE

So as a premise to what I'm talking about, here's a video of Doug Marcaida doing some demonstrations:

https://youtu.be/n4zs57mwYOw?t=24s

The single stick work is what I'm thinking could work as a second machete stance (because the machetes REALLY need some love).

Everything in Kali follows some form of circular motion that retains momentum, using this principle as part of a stance would work as a kind of light hitting but very persistent (just strings together and never stops hitting) alternative to the heavy striking of Sundering Weave.

While I understand grappling won't work outside of finishers, you can use the rapid striking form and the general flow for standard striking, and work in forced impact procs at the end of combos to keep enemies suppressed.

Just throwing this out there, machetes really could use it!

I'd rather this be its own stance that isn't titled machete, and then the prova (and prova vandal) gets swapped to that stance. I mean, this kind of movement isn't going to work too well with a kama.

Actually held backhand ("icepick") the Kama functionally works like a large Karambit knife, which is practiced in Kali using a similar motion, just has a little tighter of a swing with more elbow involved :)

Actually held backhand ("icepick") the Kama functionally works like a large Karambit knife, which is practiced in Kali using a similar motion, just has a little tighter of a swing with more elbow involved :)

There is a mighty big size difference between a karambit and a Kama. There is also a difference between the angle of the cutting edge relative to your arm.

8v63K3l.jpg

Interesting inspiration for a new stance. It'd be pretty cool to see a stance that had an emphasis on smaller strikes instead of wide arcs employed in stances like Crimson Dervish and Sundering Weave.

The Machete had a different melee combo in Update 8 (sometime around then at least), it had a lot more wide-sweeping slashes though but I'd still like to see it make a return.

@Comet: I'm not impressed with that video as far as a Machete stance goes, too much fancy grappling and stick spinning. It looks fine for a new "Dual Stick" stance though.

Machetes are brute force tools, they look good as brute force weapons too. A new machete stance with quick strikes would be cool though, as long as the current stance gets a rework so we don't have a "good one" and a "crappy one".

Would be nice if Kamas got a stance unique to them, with animations involving dismemberment, and hooking into enemy limbs and dragging them around. Better yet, DE should introduce Hook Swords as a weapon type, and switch Kamas into that.

@Otenko: That looks great for a machete stance.

Edited by DarkTails

Hm... guy's obviously taken lessons from the traditional masters, and not the modern ones. Good for him. 

Admittedly, Escrima/Kali/Arnis is applicable to a wide range of weaponry: Dagger, Dual Daggers, Dual Swords, Doble Baston (two sticks), Single sword, and Solo Baston (one stick) are just some of the usual weapons that are covered in practice.

If you wanted to put an Escrima stance in Warframe, however, it would be better to have it for dual weapons, preferably dual sword/ sword and dagger/ dual stick. New students are always taught to learn how to dual-wield first, then they work their way down to single weapons, and eventually unarmed combat. 

Interesting inspiration for a new stance. It'd be pretty cool to see a stance that had an emphasis on smaller strikes instead of wide arcs employed in stances like Crimson Dervish and Sundering Weave.

The Machete had a different melee combo in Update 8 (sometime around then at least), it had a lot more wide-sweeping slashes though but I'd still like to see it make a return.

-youtube snip-

Please bring these back

• 6 months later...