Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Short Story] Warframe: Lacuna

TheErebus.

Howdy friends. Name’s DedSek and this my short story based around the Warframe universe. I’ve been writing this for 5 weeks and I’m quite pleased with the results. Keep in mind that almost everything said in the book is purely fictional (meaning that it doesn’t tie into the main events that is happening in the game, so I apologize for those who don’t like that). I’ve also added the frame overview of the main character as well as a bestiary of the enemies that our “hero” will encounter.

Feedback is greatly appreciated and any questions will be answered.
I want to thank Silverbones, Katakuna, AugmentedJustice and SkreeMalicious for supporting me.

As well as The DE team for making an awesome game.

P.S: I apologize for the shortness of the last chapter, but I had to get this out of the way to continue on other works.

WARFRAME: LACUNA

Part.0: A warm welcome

Greetings, My name is Wrath. I was a member of the Tenno, now I’m what you would call…

A mercenary.

Yes, I have no affiliation with the “honorable” pack of fools. I was exiled due to a certain incident while I was with them.

What happened exactly?

Well… you already know that the others have abilities relative to their titles. The same goes for me. My abilities center around anger and the causing of anger towards my opponents. However, this is also my greatest flaw as I am also affected by my hate and so I must vent my aggression every few minutes or so.

Four months ago, I was paired with a rookie Mag and we were told to board a Corpus vessel and retrieve their datamass. Everything went according to plan until she dropped the data mass down into a chasm.

All that work…

All of the pain…

I lost control of myself.

I smashed her head in. Broke her glass case into pieces.

But I didn’t stop there. Oh no…

I plunged my blade straight into her torso and began to carve out her insides.

I sound more psychotic than I do angry right?

By the time I was finished, there was no way of her getting back up.

Lotus found out about it and kicked me out of the Tenno. She originally wanted to execute me, but decided against it when Ash and Saryn proposed to exile me instead.

I’m not sure whether I should be thanking them or hating them.

They both spared me. And this lead to me being on my own.

But it doesn’t matter. What has been done, has been done. Nothing I can do to change it.

Ever since then, I’ve been scouring the galaxy under the guide of who ever offers me a mission.

I’ve worked for the Grineer as well as the Corpus on separate occasions.

Just recently, I’ve been given a mission by The Grineer. They said that a research vessel of theirs had been off signal for a while now.

I was reluctant at first, because a previous assignment of mine was stealing a bit of datamass for the corpus but in the end I accepted. Money is money after all.

Part.1: First Impressions are everything.

This vessel was just used as a research outpost. Caught in the orbit of Pluto, it was odd that the infested would come this far. However, I recall my contact saying that the distress call was far too distorted to make out anything, but the sound of guttural roars gave a hint of the infested attacking the crew. I have had my close encounters with this particular organism and it is safe to say that they are truly horrific in every meaning of the word.

They are abominations, fusing themselves onto the flesh and bone of their hosts. Altering them into flesh craving beasts. They spare no being, and show no mercy. If there are indeed Infested roaming the halls of the vessel, then by now all of the inhabitants are walking monstrosities but then again they were already walking monsters so I guess there’s really no differ-

//APROACHING PRIMARY TARGET: GRA’LOK REASEARCH VESSEL
// SEARCHING FOR POSSIBLE ENTRY POINT

They say first impressions are everything. Well the first impression I got was just an abandoned space craft but I was wrong… so very wrong.

Dozens of fleshy extremities covered the outer hull. Many areas of the ship were torn off, although it appeared that the gaping holes that should be there were covered by some form of web made of…

Infested chargers…

I never felt so revolted in my life. They were motionless, but not dead. I could see their bodies rise and lower in tune with their breathing.

//ENTRY POINT LOCATED: INACTIVE EXHAUST PORT

I then reach the entry point, and I exit the shuttle and enter the ship.

I take my first steps forward, into the gates of hell.

Part.2: Walking blades.

I’ve only stayed here for three minutes and already I know there is nothing to be salvaged. I thought the outside of the ship was bad, however the inside was even worse. The fleshy matter that enveloped the outside coated the walls and floor of the ship in front of me.

My receiver begins to pick up a signal, I activate it and listen in.

Turns out to be my Grineer contact.

“Have you made it to the vessel?”

“Yes, and it appears you were correct. The Infested have cleared the entire ship.”

“Any contact with the parasites?”

“No, none yet. Although I’m definitely positive it wont stay like that.”

“Indeed, you will need weapons to defend yourself. Which is why I have provided you the finest Grineer weaponry we have to offer.”

“First, the Grakata. High Rate of Fire and a large ammo capacity. We’ve also fitted it with a Hellfire mod.”

“Second, The Kraken. Think of it as a hand-cannon, use it to blow the leeches apart.”

“And finally, Th-“

“I already have a close quarters weapon. My personal favorite.”

“Very well, continue with the mission.”

And with that, I switch of the receiver and continued further down the ship. The more I continue, the less flesh covered walls I see. Although this doesn’t erase the fact that the Infested are all over the ship and just waiting for some fresh meat.

As I continue through the empty halls of the ship, I find myself pondering as to why no Infested beings have shown up. It was eerie, one would expect that a ship taken over by the Infested to be swarming with the foul beings but there is nothing her-

GRAUUUULLGH!!!!”

What the?!

From around the corner, came out a creature with blades instead of hands. What looked like bones protruded from its face, its legs were twisted and underneath the skin looked like slithering worms.

This was indeed an Infested, but none that I’ve ever seen…

It had no shape of a Grineer, corpus or any other species that I know of!

I quickly prepare my Torment ability, yet I realized that there was no need to do so. It seemed that it was blind, and couldn’t hear that well either. It raised its blade against the wall and began to use it as way of making out its path.

As it walked right by me I noticed that there was an eye on its back and unfortunately… it saw me too.

“Oh fu-”

“GRAAAAAUUULGH!!!!”

Without hesitation I ready my Nether Claw and lunge towards it, ready to rip out its throat out. But as soon as I leaped at it, the abomination already smacked me down onto the floor with one strike.

I underestimated this one, its movement was sluggish before it spotted me, yet now it’s faster than a Roller with a Speed mod!

Once again, it screeched into the air as if it was alerting others to my presence.

Turns out I was right.

Just after it stopped, more blood curdling screams came from afar. It wont be long now before they reach me.

I had wasted enough time, I again lunged at it but this time I stuck to the ground and went for its malformed legs.

This time, I sliced its legs clean off and it fell to the ground. For extra measure, I plunged my claw into its head.

“That’s one down…”

“RAOOOOOOOOOOOOLLRRRRGH!!!”

“And about a hundred left, I have to hide.”

But before I ducked into a nearby ventilation duct, I decided to devise a trap for those walking parasites.

I activated my Enrage ability and set it up in the direction of their screams.

“This’ll be fun to watch.”

I knew I was making a mistake, but went through with it anyways. I crawled into a nearby ventilation duct and waited for the sound inhuman screams and blood spattering over the walls.

It took a few minutes before their screams became more clear, but it did not last long. The sweet music of grunts and growls were made and the roars of the beasts ringed through my ears and gave me a minute of peace.

Even though it was for a short time, I felt happy.

“Okay play time’s over.”

I crept out of the vent and carefully made my way lower into the ship. The signs of the infested were now very clear, but I’ve never seen anything like those ones.

My receiver rang once again, no doubt that it was my contact.

“Wrath here, what’s the probl-”

IMMPuuRrrre…”

“INNNNnnterloppEEerrr…”

“JOOOIiinnn or DIIIEE…”

“Who the hell is this?!”

“BRROother… MURRRDerer….”

“Listen to me Grineer pieces of crap! When I get out of here your all gonna pay for this!”

“ssssSILLLENCE!!!!”

Now I was starting to get angry, but before I could say anything more. I was blown to the side by an unknown being.

It was too strong, and I lost consciousness.

The last thing I could see was a large dark shadow…

Part.3: HTECLUNCALVSIE

“nnnngh… a broken one… Sinking… in his…anger…”

“StIIilll alive… death AWAITS him…”

“Let himmm rise… his pathhh still undone…”

“Wha-... what? Wait… WHERE AM I?!”

I awoke to find myself in strange place…

It looked like the heart of the Infested hive. Strange hunks of flesh wriggling all over the walls, the floors coated in what seems to be a mix of blood and mucus. The air was heavy and I felt as if my lungs were filled with stones.

I myself was coated in fleshy web, but I was able to escape it. As I arose, I saw what the Grineer wanted me to extract.

An Orokin cell…

“WHAT?! ALL THIS FOR A LOUSY CELL?!?!”

But it wasn’t just an Orokin cell…

A monitor lit up and provided full details of what It was.

“Orokin Cell…Prime?”

I didn’t know what to make of it. It looked like any ordinary cell, but from what I read it was capable of altering the genetics of any organism while bolstering their strength, intelligence and their overall bodies tenfold.

It became clear to me… the Infested here were changed by this. The Grineer manipulated them into war-monsters for their use.

Obviously it didn’t work, so why do they still want it?

“Hmph… doesn’t matter. My job is to retrieve this and give it to them and I’m not going to let anything stop me.”

The cell was encased in a metallic case. Easy enough to break.

But before I could even lay a hand on it, I heard a sound from behind me.

I swiftly turn and face the source of the noise.

“Who’s there! I will kill you if you don’t come out!”

I didn’t need to wait long… something did come out.

“Got yo-”

My back…. Something… stabbed me…

I was then thrown forward. I was bleeding badly and I could barely move.

I used the strength that I had left to take a look behind me.

“What…the F***…are you?..”

“DERO. CAOLO. TRAITO.”

“N-no… you YOU CAN’T B-”

The entity plunged its hand straight into chest.

My final thoughts were…

“I…hate you..”

//END OF MEMORY REPLAY

“Hm… so it seems that it is active. Interesting.”

“What do you wish to do sire?”

“Mhm… set a course straight to the Sol System. It’s time we paid a visit to our dear old Lotus.”

End of Story.

Thank you for reading, and I deeply apologize for the rushed and disappointing ending.

• 2 weeks later...