Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Metallic Color Palettes

CrazyArson

The new PBR changes are great and add some really cool looking textures. However I feel some frames and weapons are rather lacking in shininess in certain areas. Metallic color palettes will allow players to override the PBR material on the selected area and change it to a metal. Including luster (dull/shininess) slider in the palette would be appreciated but is optional. 

This could be possible. It would only work on items that have received PBR though.

Basically how DE's implementation of PBR works is that there are three grayscale material definition textures:

One for how metallic something is, which determines whether surface color affects reflection/highlight color

One for how rough it is, which determines how sharp reflections/highlights are

One for surface coloration. This acts similar to a diffuse mask.

The color masks then overlay onto the third of the material textures. This provides quite good coloration that works consistently across the material.

Basically what you are wanting is a color palette that also changes the Metalness map and that comes with a slider that changes the Roughness map. This is simple in theory, but could cause unforeseen issues.

This could be possible. It would only work on items that have received PBR though.

Basically how DE's implementation of PBR works is that there are three grayscale material definition textures:

One for how metallic something is, which determines whether surface color affects reflection/highlight color

The color masks then overlay onto the third of the material textures. This provides quite good coloration that works consistently across the material.

Basically what you are wanting is a color palette that also changes the Metalness map and that comes with a slider that changes the Roughness map. This is simple in theory, but could cause unforeseen issues.

^seconds this and OP

I would like something like this, but I was thinking more of a preset to avoid making things too complex.

So you would have your basic color grid with from top to bottom: Copper, Steel, Silver, Gold etc.

And then from left to right you would have range from shiny to rough.

Edited by LocoWithGun

I would like something like this, but I was thinking more of a preset to avoid making things too complex.

So you would have from top to bottom: Copper, Steel, Silver, Gold etc.

And then from left to right you would have range from shiny to rough.

That would remove the need for a UI change, certainly.

I am going to run some tests and come back with the results as to whether simple overrides cause things to explode.

EDIT: I have been doing some tests in Marmoset. This seems to be going pretty well so far:

5kw.png

The colors are exactly the same between the two, I am just tweaking the metalness and roughness.

Edited by egregiousRac

The whole metal color palette idea is redundant if DE allows us to change the PBR material at will. I'm no expert in modeling but it does seem doable without breaking too many things seeing those test results. However I do like LocoWithGun's idea of having a preset within the palette if it comes to that solution though.

That would remove the need for a UI change, certainly.

I am going to run some tests and come back with the results as to whether simple overrides cause things to explode.

EDIT: I have been doing some tests in Marmoset. This seems to be going pretty well so far:

5kw.png

The colors are exactly the same between the two, I am just tweaking the metalness and roughness.

That's freaking amazing! So are you saying it's possible!?!!? :DDDDD

The whole metal color palette idea is redundant if DE allows us to change the PBR material at will. I'm no expert in modeling but it does seem doable without breaking too many things seeing those test results. However I do like LocoWithGun's idea of having a preset within the palette if it comes to that solution though.

From a user input perspective, modifying the material properties would require using the color masks simply due to the fact that there is no other way that portions of the model are discretely defined. Whether it is a color pallet that changes the properties without user control or a set of sliders for each mask, it has to be mask-dependant. The color palette method would be cleaner for the end user and much easier for DE to test and control.

That's freaking amazing! So are you saying it's possible!?!!? :DDDDD

It is very possible. I only hope that DE implements it.

From a user input perspective, modifying the material properties would require using the color masks simply due to the fact that there is no other way that portions of the model are discretely defined. Whether it is a color pallet that changes the properties without user control or a set of sliders for each mask, it has to be mask-dependant. The color palette method would be cleaner for the end user and much easier for DE to test and control.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. However it does seems like a massive amount of work generating sections of masks for each model for an otherwise simple request. I hope this gains more attention to make it more worthwhile to DE.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. However it does seems like a massive amount of work generating sections of masks for each model for an otherwise simple request. I hope this gains more attention to make it more worthwhile to DE.

The masks are already there. The coloration uses four masks, which are generally logical parts to have be different materials.

I just realised I should probably test how a gradient mask reacts. I will test Nova Prime in a bit.

Nova Prime test:

5l6.png

This was a double test. First, the Secondary Channel (yellow/gold) is metallic, and second, Tint 4 (prime metal) is matte. Both are working quite well. This means that gradients are not an issue and the inverse style of color palette, a matte palette, is also easily possible.

Nova Prime test:

5l6.png

This was a double test. First, the Secondary Channel (yellow/gold) is metallic, and second, Tint 4 (prime metal) is matte. Both are working quite well. This means that gradients are not an issue and the inverse style of color palette, a matte palette, is also easily possible.

You are literally a life saver. This is honestly the best thing I've seen/heard on the forums ever. Thanks man! :D You should send this to DE. You have no idea how much I'd want something like this in game.