Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Major Portions Of User Interface Unusable With Gamepads

dandeloreon

I have posted several posts about this, but earlier today was the last straw on posts to the hotfix and major release posts. There is constant regressions and problems with using gamepads only on warframe. I have multiple X-input capable gamepads and none of these game pads work correctly with warframe. With the bugs I am seeing on the user interface (on windows) i am honestly surprised it is even consired console ready since I know the input system for Xbox 360 ( and Xbox One) are native api's that are guaranteed on Windows XP SP1 and up ( Guaranteed on Windows Vista and up).

Keyboard Testing Instructions -  All of the bugs themselves appear when using only a keyboard. It may seem odd that it happens, but I have found the controls for most of these menus by using a keyboard only. The keybinds for the menus using a keyboard is as follows...

• M Key - Change Tab one to left.
  • N Key - Change Tab one to right
  • W Key, Up arrow Key- Navigate up.
  • S Key, Down arrow Key- Navigate Down
  • A Key, Left arrow Key- Navigate Left
  • D Key, Right Arrow Key- Navigate Right.
  • L key - Arsenel Only- View Powers
  • Y Key - Syndicate Details Page- Bring up the offerings page.
  • Escape key - For most menus this works the same as the B-button on the gamepad. This also shows some focus issues when dealing with the chat dialog and menus.

All Menu Screens - There are no indicators on any of the screens as to which button to press on the game pad to activate a desired feature. It is purely guesswork. ( The only indicator I see is the X-button when i walk up to things, but that is a hint for the keyboard.
Mid-Mission Bugs:

• Grinneer hacking console - repeatedly pressing The A-Button on the game pad until the end of time does not unlock nor lock a single stub on the ever rotating wheel of torment. It takes 5 to 10 seconds to put move to a keyboard to press the "Space" bar is ridiculous.
    UPDATE: This is was fixed in 16.2 update.
  • High-level corpus missions - The timer is way too fast for game pads and thus you haft to waste precious mod space for the "Intruder" mod at which it is still almost impossible to complete it. Also, this means you need to always carry ciphers in these missions.
  • Gear Selection menu - Selecting a gear you wish to use on the left dial using the left analog is pointless. It ignores A-button on the game pad. Also, if you have something selected on the right dial and left dial, the stupid emoticon animation takes precedence over the placing of something more useful, like a "Team Health restore".
    UPDATE: It appears selecting the Gear works using the X-Button on the game pad instead of the A Button like every other place. This is still confusing Behavior. I would suggest looking into what the xbox one behaviour is on this.
  • Lasers on Void tower defense missions - Pressing B anywhere near it and walking up is enough to cause phantom triggering of the laser. This is enough to kill yourself and allies because most of the time users are trying to reload weapons which also have a bind to the b-button.
  • The chat menu grabs hold of the left trigger and several other buttons leading to the inability to fire weapons or even aim at monsters. When this happens it could easily be more than 30 seconds before the game finally decides it has had enough focus on the mid-game chat.
  • Sometimes the camera decides that a close up of warframe ( almost first person ) is better angle than a small distance away. This means that substantial portions of the screen is taken by your warframe.
  • Gamepad aim and mouse aim are mixed. If a person is using a gamepad and holding the left trigger, it should be pretty obvious that the mouse input should be ignored, but it is not.

Relays:

• Cephalon Simarus - Research - This does not work as expected. I am unable to scroll the research findings, and also I am unable to make personal targets where applicable.

6pBfG6q.jpg

• Various offering pages - All of the offering pages around the Relay are broken.

• Darvo's Deals - This should be working, but it is not. I am unable to make purchases.

Me74ilU.jpg

• Void trader - The void trader is not on the relay right now, but His menus are also broken.

Main Menu:

• Most of the main menu screens shift based on where the cursor is located. This is extremely annoying and makes things difficult to work with on a game pad. Effected screens are...
    • Incubator
    • Foundry
    • Codex
    • Market
    • Modding
    • Arsenel - Mod installer
  • on various menus that involve scrolling, if you have the cursor over the menu in any way, the menu will snap to the cursor position instead of scrolling to the desired item that is next.
  • Mission Summary page - You are not able to scroll all three of the mission results lists. At times you are also only able to scroll the main item drop list, but not the mods and mission stats.

exVJOQW.jpg

• Ducat kiosk - there is no clear indication as to which button is pressed in order to place a sale, and then the confirmation screen at the end fails to accept trade with the A button being pressed on the game pad.
  • Arsenal Terminal
    • Main Arsenel Menu - There is a lot of missing information on what does what.

GefVat9.jpg

• Gear Load out modification - The ring to select the desired gear equipment does not respond to either analog on the joystick. So it is impossible to select exactly which gear item is desired. As a quick note, if you hover over an item with the mouse cursor and then hit the a-button on the gamepad, you can activate the item, but this is still mostly pointless.

Xe9QdqG.jpg

• Appearance - Color Selector - The selector does not respond to the analog input on the gamepad nor the d-pad. However if you hover over a color with the mouse cursor and press the a button on the game pad the color is applied.

9vu4dc8.jpg

Arsenel - Mod installer - This selector also does not respond to analog input nor d-pad input on gamepads.

Fg3396K.jpg

Market - Featured page - does not respond to game pad input, except for pressing b on the gamepad to close the menu.
PARTIAL FIX: This page still does not allow navigating of it's individual items using a gamepad, but now the bumpers allow you to change tabs. This means i can finally purchase Non-Featured items from the market.

qNF9ivi.jpg

Market - All pages - Left and Right bumpers do not switch which page you are on. Fixed: Update 17.0.2Conclave - This is also broken with gamepad. You are not able to manage basic tasks from a gamepad on this page.

kfesdN5.jpg

In-Game News - No longer responds to the selection made by gamepads. B2Nb09z.jpg

Market - get platinum page - This needs to be a page similar to the the current prime access tabFoundry - Does not respond to analog Input nor d-pad input from game pad. However, You are able to buy an item with a game pad so long as you use the mouse cursor to select the Item, and then Proceed to press the A-Button on the game pad.

74sh7Vd.jpg

UPDATE: This is a confusing bug to describe, but essentially the menu does not allow one to select an item to build using a game pad. As a test, I would suggest trying to build one of each Orokin Derelict keys one at a time using only a gamepad and the problem should be easily seen.

Codex - Left and right bumpers do not switch which tab you are on.

yQUU0by.jpg

Incubator - This menu does not work for gamepads at all.

yHe01yq.jpg

Clan Menu - It's not possible to easily enter the dojo when using a game pad. Also, without gamepad user interface hints, This menu is completely useless.

8H75bqy.jpg

Syndicate - Syndicate selection - The selection screen responds to analog input, but ignores presses of the a-button to proceed to the subsequent screen.

jfMTLn4.jpg

Syndicate - Syndicate Offerings - Does not respond to analog input, but does respond to A-Button when cursor is over an item.

bC3jDnM.jpg
Also as a Quick note, This bug also effects the Cephelon Simarus on the various relays.
jSYnNr7.jpg

syndicate - Details page - The offerings sacrifice does not bring up the confirmation screen when a-button in pressed. Clicking sacrifice does work, and the confirmation page for that works as intended.

CrdOXCt.jpg

Syndicate - Initiation accepted screen - completely ignores the a-button and b-button on the gamepad to close the screen.

Also as a quick note, I am testing this based on the following computer configuration.

Another configuration showing the same issues:

• Dell Inspiron N5050 w/ Intel HD3000 graphics
  • Windows 10 Tech Preview
  • Warframe (Installed from installer provided on website )
  • Any of the gamepads linked to above ( As a quick note, All gamepads do work correctly on all other Games as intended, except for this one.)

Also as a quick note, User interface indicators appear just fine on a slightly different configuration which is...

• AMD FX-8320 (8350 clock)
  • GTS 450
  • Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
  • 16 GiB DDR3 Memory
  • Windows 8.1
  • Hama Scorpad (PS3, using MotionInJoy and set to XBox360 mode. SCP Driver Package works as well)
  • Sharkoon Skiller USB keyboard, TeckNet X9800 mouse (Anker High precision)
  • ASUS 1920x1080 LCD (using HDMI atm.)

NOTE 1: This thread is just a rehash of the various posts I made since January that appear to have been almost completely ignored by the pc developers.

• 2015 Shiny Bug Thread ( A list of bugs just in the main menu)
  • 2015 Shiny Bug Thread - (Pc Version) ( Last post I made in the the thread before it was locked)
  • Hotfix 15.13.7 - First post on the update logs. At least one of the issues was fixed ( namely that the launcher will launch the game when you press the a-button on the game pad.)
  • Hotfix 15.14.1 - update showing no progress at all for game pads ( Feb 16th )
  • Hotfix 16.0.1 - My post about these recurring bugs on hotfix 16.0.1
  • Every other Hotfix post should have at least one post by me stating that gamepad problems have not been resolved yet.

NOTE 2: I would like to thank (PS4)Crackle2012 for responding to my posts in the 2015 shiny bug thread i made, and ShiroiTora for informing me that this bug may not apply to newer versions of windows.

NOTE 3: This list was last tested with the 16.0.2 Hotfix installed.

NOTE 4: Just for some developers, I mention repeatedly Gamepad, however in reality this is also an Controller.

NOTE 5: The Controllers in this thread are all wired xbox 360 controllers ( except for the logitech f310 gamepad).

NOTE 6: I Know about X360ce application for emulating XInput devices, and Honestly this is not needed. This thread is about devices that have either official support XInput or have an Official License for use on the Xbox 360 console. At any case, All of the Controllers I list work fine as per what Windows is saying.

UPDATES:

• 3-24-15 - Updated information on the Gear selection menu. Thanks to SirDraco for this information.
  • 3-26-15 - Tested against 16.1.2 and The user interface in the above mentioned sections still is broken.
  • 4-2-15 - Tested against 16.2 hotfix and most of the above issues ( especially the ones that appear in liset ) are still an problem.
  • 4-8-15 - Tested against update 16.3 and the main menu can still be classified as unusable from game pads. Also added a note about the Clan menu being in a unusable state.
  • 4-20-15 - Tested against 16.3.5 and all the problems not marked as resolved are still not fixed. Also, added a slash through the issues that are fixed.
  • 4-28-15 - Tested against build 16.4.3 and all of the issues are still ongoing.
  • 4-29-15 - Tested against build 16.4.4.1 and all of the above issues are still ongoing.
  • 5-6-15 - Tested against Build 16.4.5. Also added links to actual gamepads I have personally tried on my systems.
  • 5-13-15 - Tested against Update 16.5.1 and all bugs are still occurring. Also, I have posted screenshots of the bugs to a bug report I created to help with this.
  • 5-14-15 - Tested against Update 16.5.3 and all previously mentioned bugs that have not been marked as fixed are still ongoing.
  • 5-22-15 - Updated against 16.5.9 and made some appropriate changes. I also added images for most of the bugs, so enjoy.
  • 6-9-15 - Updated against 16.7.2. This bug Still exists, and also you can reproduce all of the bugs I have mentioned using the keyboard only. Added general instructions for a Keyboard.
  • 8-4-15 - Updated against 17.0.2 - In the Main Menu, only one bug got fixed. All other bugs still exist.
Edited by dandeloreon

The main issue is that you are forced to repeatedly switch from game pad to Keyboard and mouse and back mid game. I can understand small instances where this is ok, and these instances are as follows...

• Main Login screen - Type in user name and password when logging in from launcher activated out of steam.

• Changing  some settings in the launcher ( Although, at this point it should be able to be handled all the way using the game pad. )

• in-game chat - Typing messages to talk to other players in text.

• After You quit out of the game.

Edited by dandeloreon

Upvoted. "Me too." Etc.

I use a Sony PS3 controller with Scarlet.Crush Productions software to make it show up as an Xbox 360 controller.

I feel like either DE should go all-in with supporting controllers (like this thread asks, and controller users expect),

or they should just remove support and stop frustrating us.

Sadly, this entire thread and everything about it will likely be ignored during the development process like it has for the last year+. "Year of Quality" to me means "full controller support on Windows." That's all I want for Christmas from DE this year. Not holding breath, but would be grateful all the same if they deliver.

EDIT: in before "Play on a console if you want to use a controller!" -- you've entirely missed the point of gaming on Windows. It's all about choice and supporting more stuff. They already develop for a Windows console. It's not like I'm asking a lot here. The work is done, just at the porting stage instead of in trunk (Subversion lingo, sorry).

Edited by intrand

Upvoted. "Me too." Etc.

I use a Sony PS3 controller with Scarlet.Crush Productions software to make it show up as an Xbox 360 controller.

I feel like either DE should go all-in with supporting controllers (like this thread asks, and controller users expect),

or they should just remove support and stop frustrating us.

Sadly, this entire thread and everything about it will likely be ignored during the development process like it has for the last year+. "Year of Quality" to me means "full controller support on Windows." That's all I want for Christmas from DE this year. Not holding breath, but would be grateful all the same if they deliver.

EDIT: in before "Play on a console if you want to use a controller!" -- you've entirely missed the point of gaming on Windows. It's all about choice and supporting more stuff. They already develop for a Windows console. It's not like I'm asking a lot here. The work is done, just at the porting stage instead of in trunk (Subversion lingo, sorry).

Care to include a little bit of system information on this confirmation? You can look at my first post for an example of what information I included.

First I strongly suggest rebinding your buttons,

second - yes hacking and crouch have problems on gamepads, I use third party program to bind keyboard buttons onto gamepad as to go around the problem itself,

thirdly - I only use gamepad when playing, in Liset, Relays, Dojo I use keyboard.

In conclusion, works great for me.

Edited by gvidzix

First I strongly suggest rebinding your buttons,

second - yes hacking and crouch have problems on gamepads, I use third party program to bind keyboard buttons onto gamepad as to go around the problem itself,

thirdly - I only use gamepad when playing, in Liset, Relays, Dojo I use keyboard.

In conclusion, works great for me.

1) I already reset the gamepad buttons to default. If the issue is that the gamepad defaults between versions have problems, then that means that DE needs to fix it.

2) I have not noticed any issues with crouching and hacking per se.

3) When you support a gamepad ( like I assume warframe does since it exists on consoles also ), I would expect the only time i would need to put down the game pad is when I am entering text of some sort.

• 2 weeks later...

1)

3) When you support a gamepad ( like I assume warframe does since it exists on consoles also ), I would expect the only time i would need to put down the game pad is when I am entering text of some sort.

This is how it is for me on PS4. I use a wireless keyboard to talk in region chat, etc. From reading the OP- it looks like there are 10x the amount of bugs for controllers on PC, than for actual consoles. The only thing I can think of is there must be a reason.

To be honest, even though I prefer to play on PS4, if I could use a mouse and keyboard to play Warframe on my PS4, I would.

With that said, I'm not saying this is everyone's preference, or that it should be. It would definitely be nice if DE would take a look at some of these issues. There are several minor controller issues on the PS4 and from what I'm seeing, Xbox one as well- but it is very minor things such as no vibration on a couple guns when you are the client, or not being able to barrel roll in Archwing via the "roll" button.

What I don't understand is why there are so many more bugs for PC controller users than console controllers. (Maybe it's harder to implement on PC? I don't know, I have no idea how that kind of stuff works [controller support for PC, etc...] or how difficult it is to implement.

My suggested solution: give us mouse and keyboard support on consoles! (Ps4 has wireless mouse and keyboard support!) and give the PC the same controller configs that the consoles have. (I realize this is probably a lot harder than it sounds!)

This has been a peeve for me for a while. I've just been patiently waiting, thinking DE would just naturally fix this eventually. Just thought I'd add some pictures to help identify some liset consoles that can't be fully navigated with a controller.

idFcMZS.jpg

DHjBDhf.jpg

lvfOwuz.jpg

motk82y.jpg

rQM2Sb3.jpg

This has been a peeve for me for a while. I've just been patiently waiting, thinking DE would just naturally fix this eventually. Just thought I'd add some pictures to help identify some liset consoles that can't be fully navigated with a controller.

idFcMZS.jpg

DHjBDhf.jpg

lvfOwuz.jpg

motk82y.jpg

rQM2Sb3.jpg

I Think the Screenshots will Help DE, but it still does not change that I identified the User interface in words, so a screenshot is not needed... Maybe they are in need of a Youtube video showing how broken things are.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another update, and yet to fix on the problem. I have prepared an imgur album of the issue, and will sometime this next week put the images up on the first post. The issue is large enough to demand 19 different screenshots. For those who are interested, you can see the Images here ( http://imgur.com/a/R78G5#0 )

Also as a quick note, All games that even attempt to support gamepads (controller ) should have fully working gamepad support for all in-game menus. This level of gamepad support is a must for any game that even has an mediocre attempt at providing gamepad support.

NOTE: I intentionally exclude in-game chat from the list, but it should be possible to manage the friends list, and clan from the gamepad.

EDIT: I just updated the first post with the images from this album. I hope this better explains the bugs.

Edited by dandeloreon

• 3 weeks later...

This needs some bump, best controller support bugs thread. Get on it DE

I know that DE is fully aware of this bug report. ( See my other thread that probably should be merged into this thread ). The only part that i can really say as an update for this thread right now is that i was able to reproduce the bugs using a keyboard and mouse by simply trying to control all of these menus using only a keyboard.