Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Have Been Thinking... Why Is Weapon Swap Speed So Slow?

aerosoul1337

I have been thinking... why is weapon swap speed so SLOW?

You are the Tenno, the space ninja specialized in combat, speed and technology.

BUT, swapping guns takes 2~3 seconds is a lot slower than most of shooting/action games we had ever seen.

For 3 seconds, you can perform shot->quick melee-> shot again easily.

So why the hell normal weapon swap is so slow?

This makes different gun combination tactics less useful.

For example, in T4 you may want to bring radiation/viral gun with another corrosive gun.

So you can kill high level Bombard and heavy gunner quickly.

Or you want to use completely different 2 weapon for certain situations.

And.. yea yea there is an aura called speed holster, but it's not good for the polarity sake.

"For balance issue."

This is not balanced! this is below average (acceptable) speed.

I am not asking for quick switch like FPS games that you can carry 9 guns and change instantly.

But make it a bit faster, please?

Edit:

Generally speaking, Warframe allows a lot of client predictions and commands to minimize the impact caused by latency.

You still can perform most Combat Maneuvers and use ability instantly as client.

However, there is one exception: "Weapon Swap".

Surprisingly Weapon Swap speed is suffered by net latency (for whatever reason).

This makes already slow weapon swap even worse...

Edit2:

If you are not the host,

regardless the connection quality, client seems to suffer at least 1 second delay before the holster animation to start.

Even the game is not lagging at all.

Edited by aerosoul1337

Maybe because of swapping weapons as your running or midair is a bit.... hard? I'd rather want them to make it so if you stand still, you swap weapons quicker and if your running/sliding it takes longer. Just a minor adjustment that could come to play at higher lvls.

To justify the weapon swapping aura that nobody uses. 

I would rather swapping weapons be significantly faster. I'd even venture to say most people would, but DE unfortunately prefers to sacrifice game-play for the mod system. 

This doesn't make any sense.

I am equipping my gun, i can quick melee instantly.

But it takes 2 second to holster.

If DE make it faster, think about it.

You can change your secondary/melee for a lot of strategy.

You can quick PARRY things and a lot of skillful game play.

Maybe because of swapping weapons as your running or midair is a bit.... hard?

It's one of the easiest things Tenno can do. Compared to the insane acrobatics and sword moves you can pull off in WF, weapon swapping looks stupidly slow and clumsy. It's like I'm the one doing it instead of my space robot character.

There are many broken aspects in this game being tied down by the existence of mods that poorly attempt to fix an issue that needs fixing on the mechanical end rather than the mod end. Weapon switching is a particularly bad one.

In the case of having your primary weapon out and having just used quick melee, you have to wait for your quick melee to be put away, pull out your primary again, put away your primary, and then finally pull out your secondary. The actions in between are completely redundant are the reason for most of the clunk when it comes to switching weapons.

The same case applies to having just used quick melee, putting away your melee, pulling out your weapon, and putting away your weapon, and then pulling out your melee.

There should be a small delay between weapon switches (which would leave speed holster fine where it is), but any back and forth with pulling out weapons and putting them away in between the switches needs to be removed.

Switching weapons needs to be at least as slow as the fastest reload without reload mods, and then some.

This is especially so now that we have mods that reload a weapon while holstered.

Edited by Kihana

I would love a swap speed buff. I wanna be able to burn a mag from my primary into a wave of heavies, swap to my auto pistols and buzz a few trash mobs and kill them, swap to my melee and chop a few guys in half, and go right back into my primary weapon. also you should be able to hold the melee key to swap to your melee, and when you are holding the melee key you should be able to quick block.

there is so much more dynamic gameplay that  you can have if you have faster weapon swapping and a more intuitive loadout design.

Edited by VYR3

Feels archaic the speed at which we change to secondaries nowadays.

Also, depending on the weapon type we should have different holstering speeds but that would be asking too much i guess, but hey, year of quality isn't it?

Things that break the pace of the game: Ridiculous amount of time to holster, even the godamned melee weapon takes too long, amount of time you stay on the floor when knocked dow and broken parkour. 

Handspring and Speed Holster should be default.

Edited by (PS4)DanteVincent

I've posted a few topics like these in the past. All the responses I got were "use speed holster" and "equipped melee is useless if you can do stuff with quick melee"

Ugh, I just want to be able to use melee combos without the asinine switch time.

I like most shooters' idea that instead of reloading you should change to your secondary because it's faster.

Not so much in WF.

Part of the problem with that is that, unlike most shooters, secondaries are often as good as or better than primaries. But perhaps that could be another element of balance for secondaries (some of the weaker ones in tiers could have very fast switch speeds).

It's one of the easiest things Tenno can do. Compared to the insane acrobatics and sword moves you can pull off in WF, weapon swapping looks stupidly slow and clumsy. It's like I'm the one doing it instead of my space robot character.

Very true.

If DE buff swapping speed, Rank up test could have a lot of new challenge!

+1 to Casperh40's variation. ;)

By making it so difficult to swap weapons, DE is inhibiting use of multiple weapons and Melee 2.0, which restricts gameplay.

In addition to the increasing the standing weapon change speed, Speed Holster should be buffed at least 100% to be viable.

Because you are supposed to think tactically and pay attention to what is going on. Switching speed means nothing, knowing in what occasion or creating an occasion is the point. 

And if you cant do that you have that mod to help with speed.

I said this before and I will say it again ....

Why the hell do we need to carry our weapons on our back or whatever part of the body ?

We have a ton of technology including a living organism teleportation device .... you really want me to believe that we can teleport living beings and not devices?!

Edited by nekrojiji

Making weapons swapping fast, like every othwr shooter, would solve so many problems. My biggest issue being the nulifiers. My only real complaint is that dealing with them in t4 limits you to fast firing weapons (oh how I miss my dread). Fast weapon swapping would almost eliminate that problem entirely.

Making weapons swapping fast, like every othwr shooter, would solve so many problems. My biggest issue being the nulifiers. My only real complaint is that dealing with them in t4 limits you to fast firing weapons (oh how I miss my dread). Fast weapon swapping would almost eliminate that problem entirely.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, a maxed Speed Holster (80% faster) can't even halve the time needed for weapon swapping.

It actually does:  

new time = (original time/1.8)

you can translate it is 44% faster.

BUT, you can NOT shot your weapon right after the holster animation is done, there is another delay time that you must wait before you can shot.

However you can quick melee during this delay time. This doesn't make any sense.

SIGH...

For God's sake improve tenno's weapon swap speed.