Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Distributed Nat Proxies

[DE]Glen

Just over two months ago we deployed a system that helped people stuck with uncooperative networks play with their friends (ie: Strict NAT, Double-NAT etc):

Under the hood the Sanctuary update included a large number of server-side optimizations to improve the performance of the proxy. The incredible number of people playing the update helped us iron out a few things and, after a rocky start, the proxy handled the load incredibly well.

There is one last thing to improve: “The Speed of Light is a Harsh Mistress.”

Currently all proxy connections are routed through a data-center in California; this means that if you need a proxy and happen to live across the pond even if you want to play with your friend down the street the data has to fly halfway around the world and back again. Even at the speed of light a trip from Europe to the west-coast and back is probably at least 50 milliseconds; with switching latency you will typically see two or three times that.

We have another experimental feature ready to go; sometime tomorrow we hope to deploy a series of local servers in a distributed network to support the PC cluster. We’re going to start with nodes in New York, Amsterdam, and Singapore. We will be monitoring the network closely and if all goes well we can continue to expand the network to cover more areas. PlayStation/4 players will get similar upgrades when Update 16 arrives but unfortunately proxies for Xbox One are something we need to sort out.

The vast majority of players will not notice any difference because you generally only have to use a proxy as a last resort; however, if you happen to be far from sunny California and have NAT problems, you might feel an improvement the next time you are online.

Thanks soooo much for the hard work, back in the early days I could hardly host/join many people including friends and clannies.

Now with all your hard work networking-wise I can connect to just about anyone and I've enjoyed the game so much more because of the many more faces I get to play with.

Thank you

Ever since U16 hit, I have been very often receiving random disconnects that occur anytime, in liset while in group i get kicked, during missions getting kicked back to liset, last time I tried to run T4 cap keyshare we ran to the end of mission already done waiting for last player, my character ragdolls and pops mission fail screen kicking me to liset.

I dont have Nat or other networking issues in-game so I have no clue how to explain it. Is anyone else in the same problem? Because now I have to solo everything and its just not that great.

So ummm, did you guys change anything *today*? Because my matchmaking is utterly broken. I can't join randoms, randoms can't join me (in alerts) and when I clicked "Analyze network" it sat there for 5 minutes (actually, still going, I'm not expecting it to finish).

In short, Warframe is single player for me today.

We tried to get this out before the weekend but we ran into some troubles that didn't show up on the test cluster. Our test cluster actually includes a node in Europe but there's something we missed; having a thousand times the network traffic brings out the most subtle bugs. We're looking at the logs of what happened and will hopefully try again on Monday.

The roll back didn't return it into a working state, not had a single team on any node since it was rolled back.  Plus analyse network just runs constantly requiring a Alt F4 to close warframe.  Normally it would come back in less than a second as nominal, as I don't suffer from strictnat since getting a better router other than when the matchmaking server is having a bad day