Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

China’S Version Of Warframe And Exclusives

Lord_of_Time

UPDATE-ish: Pacival81 on twitter asked DE_Steve regarding China's version of warframe, linked here https://twitter.com/sj_sinclair/status/581374805049417728 In short it says that it would be considered like a console release with batched updates, thanks to MoRockaPDX for finding this. This probably means we can tone down the angry comments if we consider it like a console release, they'll probably not get anything game changing.

Since some of us go on the warframe subreddit and some of us follow up with warframe news, I felt that I would need to make a post regarding this. Here’s the reddit post I’m referring to: http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/30kztl/chinese_warframe_players_will_get_exclusive/

So the post with translation states that China’s version of warframe is going to get exclusive warframes, weapons and possibly other gadgets based on Chinese mythology. I personally don’t like what they’re doing here, they may or may not be deliberately splitting the player base here.

Problems:

- If you starting making exclusive content that isn’t cosmetic it’s going to affect gameplay. We all know that not all the current warframes ingame are balanced for endgame content(as stated in devstream 49), so unless they have a completely separate team working on these exclusives it’s going to drain resources.

- If these warframes/weapons are even remotely interesting which I think they will be since its Chinese mythology, it’s going to make players in the other parts of the world want it because it looks nice and is special. Unless they give us a way to obtain these as skins or something I don’t see this going well.

- Why does every game company that goes into china have to have changes to core gameplay?(this is rhetorical, don’t answer this in the comments) Having exclusive cosmetics is fine even though it feeds China their mentality that they are special(which they’re not). When we have exclusive warframes and weapons that are such an integral part of gameplay it makes me wonder are we missing out on something. Also I want to point out that other countries/regions of the world do not get regional exclusive anything(between consoles is a different thing), cosmetic or not. If China gets exclusive anything why can’t other countries/region get them too?

Essentially having exclusive cosmetics for China’s version is fine but why can’t other countries/region have that as well, and if they get exclusive warframes/weapons why can’t we(the rest of the world) have them as well(different exclusives)? As I have said above if all our warframes were balanced for endgame play then I would feel slightly better, but whats to stop them from making a cool Chinese dragon from myth warframe.

Lastly I want to make clear that although I do bash China a lot, that doesn’t mean that I hate the country, on the contrary I rather enjoy China and Chinese things(I’m Chinese). I just really hate it when companies have to make exclusive things for china because of the feeding, because of the possibility of core gameplay changes.

Sorry if this post sounds a little ranty and opinionated but China exclusives just hit hard to home. Also of course its too early to tell since it hasn't been released yet and we don't have more info so I may just be spewing rubbish.

EDIT: Heres the website thats quoted in the reddit post for the lazy: http://news.17173.com/content/2015-03-25/20150325001659350_all.shtml (warning contains NSFW ad content). Even if all this is just some PR stunt the idea of localization exclusives need to be talked about. Please keep discussion on topic and not go on a tangent about racism. Added "official" site for China's version of warframe http://wf.changyou.com (even though this site isn't exactly full of info, it still has some non-official art).

Edited by Lord_of_Time

I doubt anything like this happens.Unless PWE put their hands into it.

Anyhow, the implementation of such idea is feeble minded.

Skins - I do not mind. Exclusive warframes/weapons - highly unlikely.

Edited by YourMoms

I'm fine with certain regions getting certain cosmetics. Heck, I'll won't even be mad if they get an exclusive vandal or wraith weapon or two.

Skins are A-OK in my book too, since we've already done that for XBONE and PS4.

But, getting exclusive frames with their own set of powers?

Sorry, no. We don't discriminate here, so you're either going to share with everyone or not get it at all.

I'm not going into full on "u shudn't do that" mode until we get official word from DE.
Just like we did with that other Chinese company.

Edited by Lukap99

Exclusive skins are fine. Exclusive weapons and warframes? Big fat NO if this is true. Warframe needs to have an equal amount of game changing content for all players globally. 

Need to see some official statement about this though. Could be just exclusive skins and cosmetics.

Edited by Darkmoone1

IF they get the exclusive stuff, they better stay away from everyone else. If China will get China-exclusive items, they should be region locked and they can stay the hell away from everyone else if they are not willing to share. Especially considering it is not just skins.

The second paragraph about The Avengers I think is bs....Vor working with the Sentients to destroy the avengers....i.e. US that seems much more likely.  The whole thing seems doctored to me.  Plus it's on reddit so that already makes it like a 9/10 on the bs scale right?

Aye, didn't read the article, but there's no way this is actually true. This is a massive troll.

Anything outside cosmetics (which i would still find stupid) would be reaching way too far, actual game content for exclusive regions would be flat out moronic. And while I do have my reservations about the direction de is going and their ability to not crush this thing to the ground, I'm not sure they are that passionate about ruining warframe yet. 

Don't care.  I can't understand their tic-tac-toe letters anyway.

Also Marvel should have tipped everyone off to the fact this is laughably stupid.  It's not April Fools is it?  *checks*  Nope.

Edited by bluedelta

IF they get the exclusive stuff, they better stay away from everyone else. If China will get China-exclusive items, they should be region locked and they can stay the hell away from everyone else if they are not willing to share. Especially considering it is not just skins.

But what if these exclusive/cosmetic actually look cool and the rest of the world wants it?

The second paragraph about The Avengers I think is bs....Vor working with the Sentients to destroy the avengers....i.e. US that seems much more likely.  The whole thing seems doctored to me.  Plus it's on reddit so that already makes it like a 9/10 on the bs scale right?

Yes I know that reddit isn't the most reliable source ever but its quoted from a pr/new site from china at this link: http://news.17173.com/content/2015-03-25/20150325001659350_all.shtml (link has NSFW content as ads) I didn't say anything about the secondar paragraph, which I could care less about.

Edited by Lord_of_Time