Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Occasional Crashes, Black Screen, Evolution Engine Icon Remains.

Murdos

So I can't pin down exactly what update causes this, but I'm running an nVidia 750ti, stable overclocked, and even without the OC every so often, at least once or twice a day, the game will freeze, the screen will go black, and it'll wake back up on the desktop, with the game still 'running', like I can hear things attacking and the like - but there's only an Evolution Engine icon at the bottom.

I can 100% say the card isn't bad, I can run everything else on my computer flawlessly, at this point in time the Warframe crash is literally the ONLY issue my PC has with any sort of program I run on it. I tested the overclocking with Furmark over the course of hours with no issue, temperatures are stable at 60 degrees even at full load in a four-man squad, and my power supply is cruising smooth supplying everything I need. 

Then, boop. Black screen. Minimized Evolution Engine icon in the toolbar. Still responds to keypresses, so I can 'pause' the game I can't see anymore, then have to right-click to close it and restart the game.

The rest of my rig is a Windows 7 install, 650w Power Supply, 8GB G.Skill Triton X Ram, Intel i7 4690k process, stock clocks, and a Sabertooth MK1 Motherboard. Any advice on this would be grand.

Also, as a final thought - I do run the game at fullscreen windowed because I stream games to twitch at times, and multitask between matches, might it be connected as well?

EDIT:

Looking into my event logs, it appears each time I get the crash, the GPU load drops from about 90% to flat zero for a few seconds, which leads to the crash. I've seen some evidence that could be the power supply - which is a few years old, but even assuming it's degraded in performance a bit, I'm still like 200w under it's max draw. Weird. 

Edited by Murdos

Alright, I'm trying something first. I've switched down to DX10 mode, it had DX11 and 10 both ticked, so I'm going to try running just 10. If I reproduce the crash I'll take the file from then and go. 

Hi there, i have the same issue as you except im running different hardware. Im running 2x GTX 970's in SLI and when i crash both GPU's drop 0%. I believe it has something to do with NVIDIA drivers as prior to my current setup i used a 7870 and very rarely crashed. I have tried just about every different combination of settings at just about every resolution (3840x2160 - 1280x720) and it makes no difference, i seem to crash regardless of settings.

The only other game i have issues with is EVOLVE which for some reason flat out refuses to play while i have the second GPU active, the rest of my games run just fine.

So I can't pin down exactly what update causes this, but I'm running an nVidia 750ti, stable overclocked, and even without the OC every so often, at least once or twice a day, the game will freeze, the screen will go black, and it'll wake back up on the desktop, with the game still 'running', like I can hear things attacking and the like - but there's only an Evolution Engine icon at the bottom.

I can 100% say the card isn't bad, I can run everything else on my computer flawlessly, at this point in time the Warframe crash is literally the ONLY issue my PC has with any sort of program I run on it. I tested the overclocking with Furmark over the course of hours with no issue, temperatures are stable at 60 degrees even at full load in a four-man squad, and my power supply is cruising smooth supplying everything I need. 

Then, boop. Black screen. Minimized Evolution Engine icon in the toolbar. Still responds to keypresses, so I can 'pause' the game I can't see anymore, then have to right-click to close it and restart the game.

The rest of my rig is a Windows 7 install, 650w Power Supply, 8GB G.Skill Triton X Ram, Intel i7 4690k process, stock clocks, and a Sabertooth MK1 Motherboard. Any advice on this would be grand.

Also, as a final thought - I do run the game at fullscreen windowed because I stream games to twitch at times, and multitask between matches, might it be connected as well?

EDIT:

Looking into my event logs, it appears each time I get the crash, the GPU load drops from about 90% to flat zero for a few seconds, which leads to the crash. I've seen some evidence that could be the power supply - which is a few years old, but even assuming it's degraded in performance a bit, I'm still like 200w under it's max draw. Weird. 

I have a gtx 650 and have the same problem, screen goes black but can still hear sound. I had this happen three times today

Edited by Sonicbullitt

I am having the same problem. My PC is for sure has nothing to do with this. It all started after DE attempted to improve AMD cards performance.
I have a GTX970 OC. Not overclocked. This happens at least three times a day. Also in addition to the craches there are many other problems all players experience. Problems such as sudden FPS drops (extreme ones), permanent lower FPS than it was before and problems Alt+Tabbing back to the game.

It seems to be a very common bug that the developers have done sweet F.A. about  http://steamcommunity.com//app/230410/discussions/0/558753803986830871/ - Take a note of the date. That was from a year ago and nothing has changed. Also I made a post with yours and a few other peoples reports compiled. 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/443120-the-crash-to-desktop-permanent-minimization-during-a-mission-bug-or-good-luck-trying-to-play-a-long-mission-bug/#entry4920121

I imagine as it mostly affects the void, which is mostly visited by player who have probably already paid a bit the developers won't dp jack and instead just keep adding more gimmicks to draw in new players.

• 2 weeks later...