Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Persistent Stuttering

MillbrookWest

There's something I'd like you to try, if possible. Ideally you have a flash drive available that's 16gb+, but 8gb may also suffice (please don't go out and buy one, as I can't promise results).

Put your Warframe installation onto the flash drive and try running the game. Obviously running the game off a flash drive isn't a permanent solution to what's going on, but I'm very curious to see if the stuttering goes away, or is at least less common with that setup.

There's something I'd like you to try, if possible. Ideally you have a flash drive available that's 16gb+, but 8gb may also suffice (please don't go out and buy one, as I can't promise results).

Put your Warframe installation onto the flash drive and try running the game. Obviously running the game off a flash drive isn't a permanent solution to what's going on, but I'm very curious to see if the stuttering goes away, or is at least less common with that setup.

I'm like 90% certain this won't work. I had, for the logistics of it, originally installed warframe to a flash drive way back when I started(hey, easy to take it with you, right?)

However, the game's file architecture is non-conducive to this, and it did not, at the time, function properly when installed to a flash drive, as it apparently required windows folder designations and pathing and the like.

It would either not start at all, force repeated downloads, or start and then immediately crash.

I will admit it's been 2 years since I did this, and there are likely some changes that may enable it by now, but, my previous experience is that warframe 100% does NOT work when installed to a flash drive.

EDIT: Oh, other things it attempted was trying to move itself off the flash drive(which caused problems with windows itself) and trying to re-install itself onto other drives. Very fiesty program in that sense.

Again, it *might* be different now, but that was my experience back in the day.

Edited by Llyssa

I've been experiencing similar stuttering, though it seems mine is far more random (or even less so) than others have been reporting. My game stutters horribly on the Earth tileset (to the point of locking up the game once or twice) but, aside from that, I've only noticed it on Jupiter.

In any case, this only started happening for me after a very recent patch, probably 16.4.2 or 16.4.3. The game was perfectly fine before that.

Windows Vista 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2GHz

8GB DDR3

GTX 465 1GB (primary render card)

GT 640 1GB (PhysX card)

SSD (OS install) + internal HDD (all applications install)

64-bit mode

DX9 mode

Fullscreen @ 1920x1080 (Windowed/Borderless Windowed each cause massive instability)

All options are on and maxed except: V-sync (off), Motion Blur (off), and Anti-aliasing (FXAA)

P.S. I tried the whole 'unparking cores' thing a while back, but mine were already unparked by default.

Edited by Ailith

snip

I was able to get a flash drive running here at the office by uninstalling Warframe from my main drive, then installing it directly onto the drive. It's entirely possible that enough residual data remains from my dev tools to only allow the flash drive to work in this situation. I wouldn't recommend a game the size of Warframe to be regularly played off a Flash Drive however.

Stuttering like crazy on Earth Cambria, please DE can you fix this? it's really annoying , after a while of random stuttering it even froze completly and i had to restart my pc; and no it's not my pc the issue, also can you fix the huge fps drop in Void? my rig is a gaming rig, i can play all the other games at constant 60 fps, and even this game run at 60 fps, but randomly in Void i get a huge drop to 40 fps and it's really annoying, and now on Earth Cambria even started to stutter like this, i tried all the settings possible since i started playing to fix the fps drop, nothing worked, also i monitored my Cpu / Gpu usage, and they never passed 50 percent of usage even on Void, Max or Min settings , disabling effects, or enabling everything didn't change the fact that i get fps drop for no reason; don't get me wrong i'm loving this game since i started playing only 1 month ago, but the more i play the more i'm getting annoyed by these issues.

Tried running the game between hard drive and ssd, didn't change anything, also on Ssd i was experiencing many crashes while on Navigation menu and i had to swap again on my hard drive.

Pc Spec:

i5-4670k

GTX 770

8 gb ram

Western Digital Blue 1tb

CX600M PSU

can run bf4, and many other online games without issues, can't understand why i can't run this flawlessly; please help us.

Edited by OgasawaraRinko

I've been experiencing similar stuttering, though it seems mine is far more random (or even less so) than others have been reporting. My game stutters horribly on the Earth tileset (to the point of locking up the game once or twice) but, aside from that, I've only noticed it on Jupiter.

In any case, this only started happening for me after a very recent patch, probably 16.4.2 or 16.4.3. The game was perfectly fine before that.

Windows Vista 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2GHz

8GB DDR3

GTX 465 1GB (primary render card)

GT 640 1GB (PhysX card)

SSD (OS install) + internal HDD (all applications install)

64-bit mode

DX9 mode

Fullscreen @ 1920x1080 (Windowed/Borderless Windowed each cause massive instability)

All options are on and maxed except: V-sync (off), Motion Blur (off), and Anti-aliasing (FXAA)

P.S. I tried the whole 'unparking cores' thing a while back, but mine were already unparked by default.

i am having the same issue exactly the same game ran fine before update 16.4.2 or 16.4.3 not sure which 1 is the culprit you said everything i was going to say right here I've been experiencing similar stuttering, though it seems mine is far more random (or even less so) than others have been reporting. My game stutters horribly on the Earth tileset (to the point of locking up the game once or twice) but, aside from that, I've only noticed it on Jupiter.   i can play void with no issues and other planets but earth is really bad to the point its not playable.

i am having the same issue exactly the same game ran fine before update 16.4.2 or 16.4.3 not sure which 1 is the culprit you said everything i was going to say right here I've been experiencing similar stuttering, though it seems mine is far more random (or even less so) than others have been reporting. My game stutters horribly on the Earth tileset (to the point of locking up the game once or twice) but, aside from that, I've only noticed it on Jupiter.   i can play void with no issues and other planets but earth is really bad to the point its not playable.

I noticed that it happens even in Void Sabotage , don't remember which Tower i think its the T3 where u have to fight "Sprag" and "Ven'Kra Tel", it doesn't stutter for the rest of the void, only randomly the fps drop to 40.

I noticed that it happens even in Void Sabotage , don't remember which Tower i think its the T3 where u have to fight "Sprag" and "Ven'Kra Tel", it doesn't stutter for the rest of the void, only randomly the fps drop to 40.

that is 1 mission in the void i have not played since this started so it is possible for me as well but would have to play it to find out and really don't like to as i am not sure when this happens what its doing to my pc it cannot be good 

Trying to install warframe onto a 16GB flash drive but Warframe won't take. It keeps throwing up a 'lack of space' error when trying to install the DX9texture cache. Odd considering the flash drive in empty.

Before i uninstalled Warframe to try installing it onto my Flash drive I moved the warframe files with a symbolic link to an external HDD, connected via a USB 3.0 port. The stuttering was still present running off the external drive. 

Trying again to install Warframe onto my flash drive. I'll edit this post with the 'actual' error code it throws up when it stops installing. 

EDIT:

Update failed!

Could not update file:

H:WarframeDownloadedPublicCache.WindowsF.TextureDx9.cache.tmp

There is not enough space on the disk. [0x00000070

Of the 14GB seen on my Flash drive, 7GB+ is still usable.

I'll see if i can install it another way...

Edited by MillbrookWest

An update on installing Warframe onto a Flash drive:

Process taken:

- Uninstalled Warframe from system

- Reboot

- Format Flash Drive - NTFS file system

- Warframe installs correctly

- Run warframe, stutters still persist (no logs i just eyeball'd it) 

- Quit, then uninstall warframe again

-Reboot

- Format flash drive - FAT32 file system, 16KB Allocated unit size

- Warframe fails to install

- Not enough space on drive

- Uninstall

- Format flash drive - FAT32 file system, 64KB Allocated unit size

- Warframe fails to install

- Not enough space on drive

- From back-up of warframe files, copied across to flash drive i get this:

warframepart3ntu4q.png

^this is the only file that won't get copied to a FAT32 Flash drive. Works when its NTFS though.

Edited by MillbrookWest

It's unfortunate you didn't see an improvement with the Flash Drive, that would've potentially shown something amiss with the disk controller, but that's not likely if your USB controller is seeing the same stuttering. If you've still got the install the flash drive, could you tell me what sort of response times you're seeing  in perfmon during the stutter? Most likely it's getting hung up on the cache like before, but I'd like to see if it's as extreme.

Also, because of the time difference between us, one other thing I'm interested in is if you see an improvement with all your audio lowered to 0.

Edited by Xander

That is because the FAT32 file system has a maximum file size of 4GB for only god knows what reaons.

It's called FAT32 for a reason. The 32 means that the integer used to record file sizes is 32-bits long. Meaning that it can't store any file 2^32-1 bytes long (aka 4GiB). Remember when we upgraded from 32-bit OS's because of memory? Same reason.

I recommend EXT2 or F2FS (maybe ExFAT, but never played with it) for USB's that need to store files over 4GB.

Edited by Frawg

I'm kind of wondering if there isn't something the folks at nvidia would be able to help with--obviously it's less-dramatic than the AMD case, but it's still very definitely an nvidia issue.

"Would?" Haha, the devs at nVidia are really not very responsive or proactive with bug reports and the like (and fixing them) from what I've seen so far. But perhaps if another developer delivers a collection of bug reports, data, and a fix accompanied by the corrected source code for their drivers, then they might do it. Who knows? :)

"Would?" Haha, the devs at nVidia are really not very responsive or proactive with bug reports and the like (and fixing them) from what I've seen so far. But perhaps if another developer delivers a collection of bug reports, data, and a fix accompanied by the corrected source code for their drivers, then they might do it. Who knows? :)

To my understanding, game devs track down bugs that they are sure it's a problem with the OpenGL (or its ripoff, DirectX) implementation that ATI/Nvidia has. See you have the graphics library spec, is a gigantic rulebook describing a set of actions pertaining to the manipulation of various graphical things and their respective programatic functions (what they do, arguments they take, what they return...). It's up to the GPU developers to implement the spec with hardware. They may add special optimisations and other neat tricks to make it faster, prettier, take up less memory, or whatever arcane thing they want to do. Most of the time, their tricks work, but since no one (you're lying if you say you do) confirms to the word of the OGL spec, people are going to have different results running on different drivers or hardware (let alone brands).

I forget where I heard this before, but I was told that ATI confirms to the spec much more than Nvidia, which is really helpful for game devs. But on the other hand, nvidia runs things faster.

Anywho, we don't know at all if it's not the rest of his system.

Edited by Frawg

It's unfortunate you didn't see an improvement with the Flash Drive, that would've potentially shown something amiss with the disk controller, but that's not likely if your USB controller is seeing the same stuttering. If you've still got the install the flash drive, could you tell me what sort of response times you're seeing  in perfmon during the stutter? Most likely it's getting hung up on the cache like before, but I'd like to see if it's as extreme.

Also, because of the time difference between us, one other thing I'm interested in is if you see an improvement with all your audio lowered to 0.

To avoid having to install again i ran with the audio turned down to zero first, and set to off where applicable. That seemed to work. I just had a run through with no stutter (again, just me eyeballing the screen, though i can log it if required).

So, is this an issue with the new reverb effect? 

EDIT:

Audio drivers say they are up to date.

Edited by MillbrookWest

Well at least there's some relief for you if you're able to play without stuttering now; I'd wager either the Transmissions Volume or Reverb setting are responsible, but this is very promising either way.

I'm guessing reverb. The places where I get stutter are all huge, empty spaces, and it's generally not accompanied by any transmissions at all.

Well at least there's some relief for you if you're able to play without stuttering now; I'd wager either the Transmissions Volume or Reverb setting are responsible, but this is very promising either way.

I can understand how the reverb could be responsible for this, but, if you don't mind, could you please explain how Transmission Volume could be the cause?

I can understand how the reverb could be responsible for this, but, if you don't mind, could you please explain how Transmission Volume could be the cause?

Another user was crashing on what may have been the audio that plays during transmissions, so I wouldn't rule it out for causing other problems.