Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Anti-Cheating System - A Guide (Support And Information)

Azure_Kytia

Foreword:

Before I begin I would like to say that this thread is not about accusations, justifications or excuses. This thread has been made in order to bring awareness and information to the viewer (whether suspended or not) in one central location. So, without further ado, I shall begin.

What is this nonsense! Tell me, what's this all about?

In late April 2013, Digital Extremes enabled an Anti-Cheating measure which checks the names of each process in memory, and will then suspend the account if any blacklisted applications are detected. Generally, the blacklisted applications are designed to perform modifications to memory that is being used by running applications. This Anti-Cheating process is automatic, so if anything of the nature is detected running on your computer whilst Warframe is logged on, chances are you've been flagged. 

So what applications are going to trigger this kind of thing? I need names!!

Well, the application that seems to cause the most triggers is known as Cheat Engine. It is a memory modification application, allowing values within a program (or game) to be modified. The mere presence of this application in your computer's RAM is enough to flag you, so if you use the application, be careful. People shouldn't need to tell you to make sure that Cheat Engine is closed before you launch Warframe.

But I use a program like Cheat Engine all the time for other games! What if I accidentally forget to close it down?

If you insist on using Cheat Engine or similar programs for other applications and if you use the Steam version of Warframe, I have created a simple batch file that you can use in order to launch Warframe. What it does is kill the processes of Cheat Engine before launching Warframe. You can launch Warframe from the desktop or another folder using this, however unfortunately you cannot launch it directly from Steam using this method. It has been brought to my attention that this may not work correctly depending on the version of Windows you have; I am sure it works on Windows 7 on both Standard and Administrator accounts, but I would recommend testing it first (Open Cheat Engine > Run the .bat > see if Cheat Engine closes) before using it regularly. If it closes, great! If not, I can work on something else.

Alternatively, this is the code you can use to copy into a .txt file using Notepad, and rename it to a .bat file. This is for Cheat Engine version 6.2, so if you are running an earlier version, I cannot guarantee your safety:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\tskill.exe cheatengine-x86_64

C:\WINDOWS\System32\tskill.exe cheatengine-i386
start steam://rungameid/230410

This way, you'll never have to worry about Launching Warframe while Cheat Engine is still open. If you want to be doubly secure and make sure you open Cheat Engine AFTER Warframe has closed, you will need to make a batch file that kills Warframe, finds and locates Cheat Engine, and launches it. These should be the first two lines of your batch file:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\tskill.exe Warframe.x64

C:\WINDOWS\System32\tskill.exe Warframe

And you'll need another line below that locates Cheat Engine. For example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cheat Engine 6.2\cheatengine-x86_64

If you are using another debugging or memory modifying program, and wish to take similar steps as those shown above, all you have to do is take the C:\WINDOWS\System32\tskill.exe section, open your task manager, and go to processes, then type in the name of the debugging application's process (without the .exe). When you run the batch, that process should then shut down, which you can also verify in Task Manager.

Okay, so I wasn't on the ball, and was banned until 2035. What now? Is that it?

Digital Extremes can determine whether an effort was made on your part to cheat with Warframe or not. This particular procedure is preventative, rather than corrective. If you feel that your suspension was due to an accident (Launching Warframe with CE still open accidentally, etc), you can contact Warframe's Support, which have thus far been very helpful in all but the most blatant cases.

Digital Extremes is a busy group, so I would recommend filing a ticket as soon as you possibly can if you've been flagged. You can find Warframe's Support here.

This game is <CENSORED>! Why did they decide on such a <CENSORED> system?

I suppose as the old saying goes "Prevention is better than Cure". Whilst there may be a few people accidentally banned in the system, there would likely be many, many more who sought to cheat at the game, which serves nothing more than to degrade the experience for everybody, ultimately. This is the early stages of the new system, however, and I am fully confident that it will be refined further along the line as Warframe levels up and evolves.

I wasn't even using Cheat Engine and I've been banned. What could have happened?

Cheat Engine is just one of the applications that have been blacklisted by Warframe. There are also other programs which may trigger these flags. Potentially, Warframe could detect foul play when there is none to be had, however I have yet to see a thread on the forums regarding a ban without a memory modifying application being used. These sorts of occurrences are rare and can potentially occur with any game which tries to protect it's userbase from cheating.

However! If you do find yourself in this position, I strongly urge you to contact Warframe support here, with a description of the sorts of Applications you were using at the time. There may very well be a bug that's triggering it, and we're all here in Open Beta to engage in jolly cooperation and make the game better for everyone.

From here, I hope everyone is on the same page. Play clean, play fair, and have fun out in the field, fellow Tenno!

Edited by Azure_Kyte

A litte additional note: If you got banned because of an unidentified program, be sure to ask what triggered it in your support ticket. DE can tell you the name of the process that triggered the anti-cheat.

There is no need to panic if you get banned. If you really weren't cheating you will be unbanned. Same happened to me.

Teamspeak and Skype definitely don't trigger false positives. I can't speak for Raidcall, but I would assume not - in fact, you can (relatively) safely assume most popular programs won't trigger a false positive simply because there would be an outcry on the forums if they did.

For instance, if fraps was ever accidentally blacklisted, I'm relatively certain we'd see about twenty new topics within the hour. :P

The batch file requires to be run as administrator or it will not kill cheat engine or your other process X you want to ensure is not running.

Tested on Windows 8, not sure about earlier versions.

Another good batch file to remind you to close any memory programs (instead of directly closing):

@echo offmshta javascript:alert("Alert!\n\nRemember to close memory editors!");close();F:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 230410

likeso.PNG

Edited by 3ventic

The batch file requires to be run as administrator or it will not kill cheat engine or your other process X you want to ensure is not running.

Tested on Windows 8, not sure about earlier versions.

Another good batch file to remind you to close any memory programs (instead of directly closing):

@echo offmshta javascript:alert("Alert!\n\nRemember to close memory editors!");close();F:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 230410

I use a standard account for my day to day activities, and have had no problems using the tskill command, without Admin access. That being said, I am using Windows 7, so 8 may have security differences which prevent that. I'll have to test it further, it seems.

That alert is nice, too! A little in your face, but it certainly get's the job of reminding you done.

That alert is nice, too! A little in your face, but it certainly get's the job of reminding you done.

Judging by some posts on this topic in general I think a few people need "a little in your face" to get the message.

Hopefully this thread will help reduce the amount of whining over this on the forum.

Judging by some posts on this topic in general I think a few people need "a little in your face" to get the message.

Hopefully this thread will help reduce the amount of whining over this on the forum.

I don't disagree ;)

Very good :D

Hopefully this should prevent the countless threads of "I've been banned?!!? WHY!?!?" from occurring, you may also want to add a note that Game Recording Software, such as Fraps, may trigger the anti-cheat system. I can't say for certain whether this is accurate or not but it is possible, though I doubt it will as I have used Fraps and I have not been banned - so it's more of a warning that it may happen.

Edited by BearlyKoalified

It still won't help players who don't read the forums. DE needs to put a clearer message on the launcher that explicitly warns against running any cheating programs concurrently even if they are not being used to hack warframe.

Edit: Kudos for the great guide.

Edited by bitlard

Very good :D

Hopefully this should prevent the countless threads of "I've been banned?!!? WHY!?!?" from occurring, you may also want to add a note that Game Recording Software, such as Fraps, may trigger the anti-cheat system. I can't say for certain whether this is accurate or not but it is possible, though I doubt it will as I have used Fraps and I have not been banned - so it's more of a warning that it may happen.

Fraps does not trigger the system.

Edited by Lifeshield

First: Thanks for the good list OP. Gave me some answers that i really needed.

Second:

There is no need to panic if you get banned. If you really weren't cheating you will be unbanned. Same happened to me.

Just asking, how long did it take until your ticket got assigned to a support agent?

Just so i know how long i will have to wait. I got the problem with CheatEngine, opened it for another game, and like said in the posts before, i didn't even select WARFRAME to be the process, just was working on the other game and *bang*. here i am....waiting for my ticket to be checked by someone :).

I just hope DE puts up a list of programs to avoid. I knew that using CE or any other software on WARFRAME would cause a ban (like it would in any other Multiplayergame, thats logical), but i didn't know that the anti-cheat-program is that preventive/paranoid that it suspends you if you just have CE open and work on another program with it.

I was banned a day or so ago, even if its since been fixed I still dont know what caused it. I dont use cheat engine, I havent even heard of it until now, so I dont know. I dont launch through steam, and I suspected the flagged program to be Razer Game Booster, could this have been it? It wasnt even fully running at the time just a minor program that made it faster to restart. The response just gave me a warning saying it was my last chance but was still aggressive and seemed convinced I was trying to cheat but I was in absolutely no way. I also have Catalyst Control Center for Overclocking and other hardware editing if that was it. Im afraid to even try it again since I dont know what caused the autoban. 

I was banned a day or so ago, even if its since been fixed I still dont know what caused it. I dont use cheat engine, I havent even heard of it until now, so I dont know. I dont launch through steam, and I suspected the flagged program to be Razer Game Booster, could this have been it? It wasnt even fully running at the time just a minor program that made it faster to restart. The response just gave me a warning saying it was my last chance but was still aggressive and seemed convinced I was trying to cheat but I was in absolutely no way. I also have Catalyst Control Center for Overclocking and other hardware editing if that was it. Im afraid to even try it again since I dont know what caused the autoban. 

As the OP so nicely put it.

Contact support and ask what caused the ban.

Simple as that.

Thanks for the helpful info, so far way more helpful than submitting a ticket has been, at least i have a clue as to why my account got banned in the first place. Maybe they should add this page link to their auto email response?? then the "whining" might not have to begin in the first place. Ticket now 26+ hours & no response, amazing how fast transactions can occur but if i made them wait +26 hours for payment while i was using their platinum because im busy, you think they would not whine to me??

Thanks for the helpful info, so far way more helpful than submitting a ticket has been, at least i have a clue as to why my account got banned in the first place. Maybe they should add this page link to their auto email response?? then the "whining" might not have to begin in the first place. Ticket now 26+ hours & no response, amazing how fast transactions can occur but if i made them wait +26 hours for payment while i was using their platinum because im busy, you think they would not whine to me??

Tickets are slow right now because there is an influx of Void related bugs due to Update 8.