Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unicode Should Be Removed

SunshineFlower

Hi there!

I'll get straight to the point - Unicode availability in the chat ruins games. We all know what I'm talking about.

People type in the chat in their native language and expect others to understand. This ruins the communication between the players. Both in a squad or simply on a chat channel.

While I have nothing against other languages than English, which isn't even my native language, players do want to see a language that they can understand. English has been declared as the global, international language a long time ago. And in an international game such a language should be used so that everybody will be able to understand each other and communicate better.

Furthermore there's an issue of verbal abuse by the players talking in their native language. As I see it they are not being punished. Probably because the moderators do not understand such swear words and only speak English.

I am multilingual myself and I happen to understand most of the people who aren't speaking English. Usually they are swearing non-stop. When they don't - they are trying to ask their teammates something, and in most cases the teammates have no idea what they are writing.

I understand that you can not force everybody to learn a language but at least force them to try to speak it and learn the basic words and phrases to maintain a conversation or at least be able to express themselves (not in a vulgar way hopefully, that they usually do know how to do).

In conclusion I would like to remind everybody that this is an international game with people from all around the world. Nobody is forced to play it but those who choose to - should be able to speak an international language, which is English.

Thanks for the attention,
Peace everybody.

I have quite a few friends who don't have English as their first language and still understand and can somewhat talk in English. Even my mother tongue isn't English and I still agree with this post. English is a language that you need to understand to talk globally, so don't expect to have someone there who will be able to speak your language just so you can play a game that isn't in your language. If I were to want to play a game from China or Japan I'd at least make the effort of somewhat being able to communicate before playing.

However, I also think that it isn't good to just simply speak English and then get mad at those people who can't speak it well, which does happen.

The languages I can speak are: German, English and French

As someone who doesn't speak multiple languages, I don't care about obscene things said in another language that I don't understand. Because I don't understand it. I would argue that it's equivalent to you not being able to see the hand gestures and images involving your relatives that I may or may not be flashing at your profile picture and ingame avatar, 24/7. 

Forcing people to speak a language has nothing to do with whether or not they use curse words. If you want to stop reading curse words in unicode, a more relevant request would be to ask DE to add those unicode character strings to the profanity filter.

If you're just upset that you don't understand what someone else is saying, go learn their language and stop making up excuses on why the language of their culture should be censored for the "good" of everyone else.

Edited by Ryme

Just yesterday , it happen in Pvp 

Some russian was talking , I said the following "Hey grineer , I don't have translator try english" well he keep talking alone in russian , I'm sure he was swearing after each death...

So maybe that or maybe include an auto translator ingames?

Edit : just forgot to say , while i wanted to provoke him , after a while I made him say something in english anyway , so this is annoying when they can talk english but do not care

Edited by Chaosdreamer

As someone who doesn't speak multiple languages, I don't care about obscene things said in another language that I don't understand. Because I don't understand it. I would argue that it's equivalent to you not being able to see the hand gestures and images involving your relatives that I'm constantly flashing at your profile picture . 

Forcing people to speak a language has nothing to do with whether or not they use curse words. If you want to stop reading curse words in unicode, a more relevant request would be to ask DE to add those unicode character strings to the profanity filter.

If you're just upset that you don't understand what someone else is saying, go learn their language and stop making up excuses on why the language or their culture should be censored for the "good" of everyone else.

I must say that it seems like you didn't even read my post.

In short: I can speak 3 languages fluently. I understand another 6 or so. So no "excuses" there.

The world is evolving and being able to speak English is a mandatory part of it.

Its not about not being able to understand somebody and ignore him. The communication is a crucial part of the game and without it - it doesn't really work that well.

Edited by SunshineFlower

I hate to say so, but I agree with op.

Don't mistake this for racism... But when I host a game, and the first thing I get to read is some... russian letters... that's annoying...

And after 3 more lines I tell them "ey... no one here understands you" and I get "fck u" in return... SRSLY?

Cut that sh*t out!

I don't mind if there are 2 in the same game... who communicate with each other in their native language. But I absolutely HATE it when they try to talk to me in any language other than english.

I don't expect others to speak german either just because, eh?

edit

On the other hand, I witness many people reacting aggressively to people not writing english anyway...

Just recently in PvP, 2 guys talking russian with each other... why not?

1 guy enters... spams -I forgot what- mostly complains about how pvp is unfair... and then

"Russians ruin every game"

I reply "Your butthurt is ruining this game"

and he ragequit...

See... if they communicate with each other, that's okay to me... but don't expect me to understand it.

Edited by WEREsandrock

I must say that it seems like you didn't even read my post.

In short: I can speak 3 languages fluently. I understand another 6 or so. So no "excuses" there.

The world is evolving and being able to speak English is a mandatory part of it.

And it seems you didn't even read the first sentence of mine. I don't speak multiple languages, and I don't care if I can't understand the obscene languages being spoken, because I don't understand it. Just like I don't care about the obscene things being spoken about Americans by people in the middle-east, at the very second. Your argument that they should be forced to speak english because that would somehow make the point of them using obscene language better is just an excuse for you not liking that they're not behaving how you like; mainly, using the language of your preference.

That you can speak 3-6 languages has nothing to do with that. The fact that the world is evolving and you think that means English is mandatory is only another indicator of your bigotry.

Edited by Ryme

May I ask what's up with Russians ? I've seen some people talked about Russian players, but definitely not in a good way

My guess is because their language is the most distinctly alien in contrast to english when displayed in chat text characters. I see just as many people speaking in what I assume is spanish, but because their words are also spelled in english characters, people let it slide.

Also, no one ever petitions for L337 speak to be banned either.

Edited by Ryme

May I ask what's up with Russians ? I've seen some people talked about Russian players, but definitely not in a good way

I have no idea. I've never had problems with them personally, but the russia hate seems to be in alot of games. My best guess is, it is red scare leftovers.

Politically i've major issues with the georgia and ukrane "conflicts," but that has little to do with anyone i run into in a game.

It wouldn't make the situation any better. Generally, there are two groups of people who use non-Latin alphabet:

1) The ones who use it to swear in their own language and type other random crap.

2) The ones who use it in their clans and such.

The second group is not at fault and is generally not annoying. The first group would just swear in English, because even the dumbest people know how. As a Russian, I almost wish I didn't understand what they say, because it tends to be really stupid. Just some immature teens who think talking dirty in Region is funny when it's in their own "secret" language.

Edited by Defendor

Because if you are playing in european region, you will be teamed up with a lot of them.

And most refuse to speak anything other than russian. And once you tell them that you do not understand them, they will most likely insult you.

It wouldn't make the situation any better. Generally, there are two groups of people who use non-Latin alphabet:

1) The ones who use it to swear in their own language and type other random crap.

The second group is not at fault and is generally not annoying. The first group would just swear in English, because even the dumbest people know how. As a Russian, I almost wish I didn't understand what they say, because it tends to be really stupid. Just some immature teens who think talking dirty in Region is funny when it's in their own "secret" language.

You could petition DE to add those Russian curse words to the profanity filter.

Warframe should work at maintaining an inclusive atmosphere by making it easier for players, who can't converse in english, to still be able to communicate basic intentions.  This, rather than simply taking away Unicode and their only means of commincating at all with other non-native speaking Tenno. 

So, you can argue that English rules the web and Unicode should be removed, but it would be better to expend effort towards solutions that create alternatives to Unicode that players can use.

Like more practical emotes and gestures that are actually useful for communication. Emotive Waypoints that make sense regardless of what native language the player understand. Basically more tools, instead of less, that actually help players commincate.

Failing that, you could employ a filter that removed Unicode chat based on lanuage if a player finds it distracting. 

Edited by Schpam

The last game I played had a universal translator text block...thingy?

So you set your language in your game, then if someone picked "< hello >" in the translator, it said "< hello >" in whatever region they picked.  So they would see < hello > in russian or whatever, it just had 50 words but it was enough to communicate basic stuff.  Hello, goodbye, looking to buy, looking to sell, I want to leave, it also had the names of specific items ingame etc.

I don't really like to see other launguages when I join a game because i'm obviously left out.  Having said that, how often do you really talk to people in warframe anyway? (in pub games).  In serious content it's all made in LFG anyway so the point isn't an issue there.

If you're talking about chat, well you just deal with it.   If they blocked them from typing you wouldn't be able to see it anyway so just ignore the moon speak.

I've never had any problems with Russians really, I think some are against them due to the ...tensions in the world maybe.  Americans and some europeans at least.

Warframe should work at maintaining an inclusive atmosphere by making it easier for players, who can't converse in english, to still be able to communicate basic intentions.  This, rather than simply taking away Unicode and their only means of commincating at all with other non-native speaking Tenno. 

So, you can argue that English rules the web and Unicode should be removed, but it would be better to expend effort towards solutions that create alternatives to Unicode that players can use.

Like more practical emotes and gestures that are actually useful for communication. Emotive Waypoints that make sense regardless of what native language the player understand. Basically more tools, instead of less, that actually help players commincate.

Failing that, you could employ a filter that removed Unicode chat based on lanuage if a player finds it distracting. 

A quick chat similar to dota would be nice, where any quick chat messages come across in your client language, regardless of the senders language. <edit> or even server location.

Edited by TheVanguardKing

And it seems you didn't even read the first sentence of mine. I don't speak multiple languages, and I don't care if I can't understand the obscene languages being spoken, because I don't understand it. Just like I don't care about the obscene things being spoken about Americans by people in the middle-east, at the very second. Your argument that they should be forced to speak english because that would somehow make the point of them using obscene language better is just an excuse for you not liking that they're not behaving how you like; mainly, using the language of your preference.

That you can speak 3-6 languages has nothing to do with that. The fact that the world is evolving and you think that means English is mandatory is only another indicator of your bigotry.

You just really wanna fight with somebody.

As I have already said this is a cooperative game at its core - meaning you are supposed to communicate with your fellow team members. If you can not have a mutual language you can speak you can not communicate thus ruining the game play.

The fact that you don't care that you will most likely lose the mission or just have a hard time finishing it because you can't talk to your teammates is your own personal problem. Others do want to understand their team.

Its not about me not liking their behavior, I unlike you and the vast majority of the community can actually understand most of the popular languages and sometimes even talk back. Also I didn't decide on English as an international language. Its been done long before I was born. I just adopted like every other normal person.

So please if you really don't care - don't argue here in this topic. No harm was done by it, and non will be. Just keep ignoring.

Reminds me a of a story my English teacher told me of when he went to England, he was in a restaurant and 2 Chinese guys started to say something about a woman near them, in Mandarin of course, she turned to them and replyed in Mandarin.

He didnt know what the guys said, but from the look the woman gave them it was nothing flattering.

His lesson was: Watch what you say about people around you, you'll never know if they will understand you untill its too late.

I agree on the clan thing. While I dislike the idea of clans being restricted to a specific race/ethnicity/location of the players its not something that really affects the game in a negative way. On the other hand such clan still can use other software which they already use anyway. It fine overall.

Obviously improving the non-verbal communication methods would be great. But still the chat is the main tool and it should use a universal language. You can't argue with that.

Руские, хой хой

Op, you are weird, your.. demand is weird, how can you expect such limitation from the game that has so many localisations? The game-market is big, there are a lot of people who don't know english and they want to play (and pay, you know what i mean?)

Maybe you start learning some russian?

P.S. excuse my english please

Edited by texrei
  • Like 1

You just really wanna fight with somebody.

As I have already said this is a cooperative game at its core - meaning you are supposed to communicate with your fellow team members. If you can not have a mutual language you can speak you can not communicate thus ruining the game play.

The fact that you don't care that you will most likely lose the mission or just have a hard time finishing it because you can't talk to your teammates is your own personal problem. Others do want to understand their team.

Its not about me not liking their behavior, I unlike you and the vast majority of the community can actually understand most of the popular languages and sometimes even talk back. Also I didn't decide on English as an international language. Its been done long before I was born. I just adopted like every other normal person.

So please if you really don't care - don't argue here in this topic. No harm was done by it, and non will be. Just keep ignoring.

I have been playing Warframe for about 3 months now, there was not a single time were I had to communicate with the team in a pub game.

The game communicates basic stuff for you (ie if you want to open a 2 player door, or exit).