Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Crash To Desktop/ Permanent Minimization During A Mission Bug Or "good Luck Trying To Play A Long Mission Bug"

WereFowl

I know I'm not the only one this has affect and to be pretty frank it's pathetic how long this crap has been going on for:

http://steamcommunity.com//app/230410/discussions/0/558753803986830871/

- That was created over a year ago and this is still happening and the developers have done absolutely NOTHING to help alleviate it. Seriously if you use the rejoin function it's even worse as your rewards start from the very beginning: 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/363190-rejoining-squad-after-crash-causes-loss-of-progress-and-loot/#entry4552852

Before the usual cretins start going on about how I'm complaining about a free game :This is not a free game as we have to use platinum to buy slots and the main way to get that is to pay for it. This game is a product and should at least be functional for more than five minutes.

Of the the other early access game I own (currently starbound, space engineers,, viscera cleanup details and path of exile - a much, much smoother MMO experience BTW)  they combined have not crashed in the entire time I've been playing them all (in some cases over a year) as much as this game crashes a week.

I'm not going to bother with my system as this problem is so widespread I'm certain it's not a hardware issue on the users end and I don't have a bug number as due to the nature of the crash I can't get one  (It simply minimizes the game and can't be unminimised and will stay like that until I close it - way to dodge actually having to do work bug team)

I know this is kind of a ranty post,but, for a game that's all about grinding having something like this, which completely negates all the time you put into a mission and means that long runs are completely out, is just bulls***!

Seriously instead of adding more completely under-powered weapons that people will use once for ranking or extra gimmicks that hardly anyone is bothering with because they're so unbalanced at the moment, how about fixing bugs like this that ruin gameplay for ALLOT of people? Or even put in a decent temporary fix like ACTUALLY saving your mission progress so there is a point to rejoining the game beyond helping the rest of your team complete it while you get screwed over reward-wise.

edit: Just going through the forums I've found these posts with the same "bug": 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/437615-occasional-crashes-black-screen-evolution-engine-icon-remains/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/443037-minimize-black-screen-during-mission/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/321368-black-screen-crashfreeze-mid-mission/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/436869-warframe-crashes-midgame-but-works-without-image/

That's just from 5 minutes of searching.

Edited by WereFowl

I have been experiencing the exact same issue since I started playing in last December.

Although I don't think I ever had this happening in other than during Void missions, it's actually got worse by last updates. (one that updated some DirectX stuff?)

It might be something to do with those shiny graphical updates dev puts in, I don't know.

It doesn't happen always when I go into Void, but when it happens, I usually get permanently minimized 2-4 times in row as long as it's any of the Void missions.

Only clue I could found is following error from EE.log.

635.721 Gfx [Error]: Dx11TextureMgr::Present() failed, hr = 0x887A0005
635.721 Gfx [Error]: Present returned DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED: 

I'm not expert in DirectX programming, but from what I can gather this is general DirectX error that something broke the driver and the system temporary lost the device.
Some funky programming perhaps?

I really hope it gets fixed soon.
I'm ok with not getting new weapons in every month, but not ok with wasting my free time in every 15 mins.

It's ridiculous. There's just no excuse for such an obnoxious bug. As well as there being no way to reconnect and keep your progress.

I imagine if it happened allot during starter missions, they'd have fixed it straight away as it would put new players off. But as it's the void and most of the people there have already paid a bit of money the developers couldn't give two s***'s

UPDATE:

No, it didn't help much.

I just got minimized again... sigh

Possible solution:

Disabling desktop composition might help.  You can do this by doing following:

go to directory you installed Warframe -> left click Warframe.exe and open property -> go to Compatibility tab -> check disable desktop composition.

I run several void missions for about 30 mins for each, haven't encounter the problem since disabling it.

It might be just the game being in good mood today, but doesn't hurt to try.

And yes, I agree that it would be nice to have some simple one-time checkpoint system, at least for solo.

It might be hard to pull off for Co-op session tho.

Edited by MegatimusPrime

WereFowl quoted "Seriously instead of adding more completely under-powered weapons that people will use once for ranking or extra gimmicks that hardly anyone is bothering with because they're so unbalanced at the moment, how about fixing bugs like this that ruin gameplay for ALLOT of people?"

thankyou someone finally spells it out , ive been feeling this way for far too long..start fixing the game proper!

and i am also getting this crash to desktop, minimize cant back into game bug too , since 2 weeks ago...its not my hardware or anything on my PC its your game AGAIN!

Edited by --Q--zAph

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, its getting worse and worse and worse with every hotfix to the point where i am today. Not being able to play the game for 1 hour without at least crashing twice... it became completly unplayable.

And seeing threads with the exact same issue that are a year old just makes me sad :-(

Wow. I thought I was the only one experiencing this... been able to log on fast enough to finish starting missions, but I get no bonuses or goodies as it resets... it doesn't bother me BUT it does bother me that I crash in a constant row... specially when I'm in a group... 

Maybe it has to do with the Direct X update, I mention this because when I play it gives me signals, it starts freezing, frame by frame until its just freze and boots me to the desktop. (specially when the screen is trying to follow up on you with the quick melee combos or fast maneuvering when your surrounded by enemies) Or maybe my PC need something to run this more smoothly... Im just guessing but if thats the case I like to know what to configure my PC.

I never had this much issues until now... hope DE figueres a way to fix this... as I'm loving the new stuff added, only problem I can't really enjoy to full.

Edited by 0zryel

There is something to be said for "Misery loves company" (Along the lines of "Thank Ghu I am not alone in this")

Same issue here: In the last couple of weeks (it is now May 05, 2015), the crash to desktop or complete system freeze (On a brand new, NOT cheap Windows 8.1 PC) were relatively random: In the last 12 hours, no mission has been playable for literally more than 20 seconds.

Get with the program, devs: Let's get the stability going before additional in-game content additions.

I dearly, dearly want to love this game for a long time - I've already spent about $40 on it, so far; Not a penny more, though, until it is playable for a reasonable length of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I get this bug every once in a while. Now i'm trying to complete the Den of Kubrow alert and have had this crash happen consistently over 4 runs. This is bullS#&$.

+1 to everything OP said. Don't leave this unattended to, DE.

Looks like they're prioritisng fleecing the player base with resource BP's and taking away player mission choice than giving us a stable game:

Although one of the updates did mention a problem with AMD processors that theyw ere working through, which might be this.

However if DE are really keen on forcing us to play only the mission they want it's not really going to be an issue as most people will just tell them to f*** off and will find a better game that doesn't shoot itself in the foot for profit.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, the game got a little more stable for me, and I was starting to hope they were paying attention to quality, rather than quantity - There are still a lot of trivial, annoying bugs that never, ever should have made it past QA and into the public realm. Tonight, however, was the one that made me uninstall it for a while, until they mature a bit more as a gaming company.
The bugs, so far, that I've noticed:
* Sliding sometimes works every time, often ends up with the warframe crouching, while running - This is with full stamina.
*The running flip leap sometimes works every time, often ends up with the warframe either crouching while running or sliding only.
*Enemy dots staying on radar and not disappearing until you switch from overlay to corner map and back

*Enemy/ally/goal markers randomly switching positions on the map.

*Allies who are down being invisible in the game screen, making it impossible to revive.

*When dying while reviving, if you are using the action key to revive you automatically use a revive, yourself, when killed - often wasting it, if you're the last one standing

* Defaulting to "Stay and fight" rather than "extract" on survival/defense missions (this is _really_ short sighted)

* Capture targets randomly becoming invisible after they're killed, making mission completion impossible.

* Jumps to grab ledges randomly causing you to backflip away from the ledge

* Sliding spin attacks with melee weapons that sometimes work, sometimes end only in a crouch

* Being invited to a game session and randomly getting "session not found" - even when your friend is telling you over VoIP that the session most definitely is up.
* Squad disbanding, even when a "friend" is in it, when a mission fails and both are killed

* Not being able to go to the dojo while in a squad, even when the entire squad is part of your clan (Not a bug, but short-sightedness, again)
* Battle map/overlay that is abysmally poor at depicting a three dimensional space

And, tonight: After over an hour playing derelict defense, getting to wave 40, everyone extracts, myself included, but with two seconds remaining, I am switched to "Keep fighting" - Given I had just picked up my coffee cup to take a sip while waiting for the results screen, I was touching neither the mouse nor the keyboard.

Don't get me wrong: It's a really fun game: The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, but right now, it seems that playing this game is like working with idiot savants: They do some things really, really well, but an awful lot of things quite poorly or with little thought.

I'm not rage quitting (so no, no one can have my stuff :) ) - But I'm giving it some time to see if they'll work on fixing the basics, rather than hoping they can keep sucking money out of people without them noticing or caring about the myriad of bugs that never should have been there in the first place.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like they're prioritisng fleecing the player base with resource BP's and taking away player mission choice than giving us a stable game:

Although one of the updates did mention a problem with AMD processors that theyw ere working through, which might be this.

However if DE are really keen on forcing us to play only the mission they want it's not really going to be an issue as most people will just tell them to f*** off and will find a better game that doesn't shoot itself in the foot for profit.

I dont think it's  just AMD, also i get this crash in the very beginning of the game and its kind of upsetting as i only play with my friends. also i have a rather decent computer with no other problems other than this crash...

This problem is still alive and well. After ungrading my computer I cant play for more than 5 minutes in a mission without Warframe crashing. I've tried every solution i could find and none of them have worked so far. Completely unplayable, it was one of my favorite games too.

Yesterday's excavation sortie was the crashiest, most awful experience I've seen in a while.  Literally had to try it 7 times before I could get through it without a crash (5 times hard system crash that renders even the restart button unresponsive, and once just a CTD).

I really hope for serious attention to fixing this and the things listed in Psiclops's post above.  These things have been around for a long time indeed.

• 1 month later...

Adding my voice to yours.  I can't seem to find any one factor that causes it.  Sometimes it happens during a mission, sometimes it's while I'm browsing the Market.  The screen will change to one color, then the game minimizes.  I can still hear the game audio (and hear my Warframe moving around when I input commands), but I always end up having to Alt+F4 out and restart the match.  It sucks, especially when playing with friends that don't have the issue.

My GPU is a GTX 970, and I don't have this issue in any other game right now.  It seems to be unique to Warframe.

Edit: I want to add that I'm using a clean install of my latest drivers, and after browsing forums I've tried disabling Tessellation in game, disabling Windows Aero, and setting my graphics card to not run in adaptive mode.  Nothing seems to do the trick.

Edited by BadAstronaut

Same issue here, started after U18 and got worse with 18.3.1. Before 18.3.1 i couldn't even alt-tab while running fullscreen and had to run it borderless windowed in order to restore the tab after minimizing.

I've been playing warframe for 3 years now and before U18 i could count the number of crashes i had on 1 hand, now though, i've lost count...

Weird thing is, I can still hear the gameplay running in the background (not a loop, actual gameplay is still being processed) but theres no way of restoring the tab now. It looks like a driver crash but there's no mention of it restoring the driver in windows.

Tested gfx card configs: 970, 670 and 970+670(physx), latest drivers.

3770K @4,5GHZ, 16GB RAM

Windows 7 64 Bit

Running on an SSD

EDIT: Also, the crash seems to occur faster when running the twitch.tv streaming player in the background. Crashing both the flash player plugin and the game.

Edited by INFRAGGABLE

I am having crash bugs and issues but I refuse to provide technical specifications, system details, or other pertinent information that may assist WarFrame Support in narrowing down this issue.

Furthermore, I refuse to file a bug report with WarFrame Support to help in troubleshooting this issue.  Instead I will continue to post in the forums and hope something is done about it while providing absolutely no helpful information to diagnose or fix this issue to get a patch done.

I expect the developers to have mind-reading powers and figure out that it is something related to a:  buggy 3rd party GPU driver, negative interaction with Win10 updates, negative interaction with other Windows updates, buggy implementation of DirectX on the engine side, bug introduced or an unforseen reversion with the recent update regarding DirectX 9/10/11, (insert many more possibilities here).

This is all interesting to read through.

Making games is tough and made even more difficult when some bugs are posted on the forums but are not formatted as a proper bug report or provide additional information necessary to narrow down the issue and hopefully work on a patch for it.

Source:

I've done programming and bug-fixing and QA stuff over many years.  Nvidia and AMD and ATI and Intel and Microsoft and all the rest are not always amicable to being told their coding is making X game run poorly.

They would rather that the game dev hacks in a special change in their code for a particular branch specific to that hardware vendor specifically to avoid that one particular situation instead of making a change to improve things for everyone.

The overwhelming majority of these issues tend to USUALLY be a buggy GPU driver and possibly even a Windows Desktop Composition or DirectX bug.  Also Windows 10 is absolutely a 'beta' OS and should be possibly avoided for stability & security reasons if gaming is the primary objective on that particular computer.

Edited by FreshNinja007

Found a possible fix: disable DX10 in the launcher settings. For some reason both DX10 & DX11 are enabled by default.

I've been running the game stable for about 6 hours now, alt-tabbing and all.

Awesome!  I checked their support regarding crashing and general and turned off all of these options per their recommendations:

The following settings are some of the most demanding options that might stress your computer that you might want to tweak first:

• Runtime tessellation (Turn off at in-game graphic settings)
  • Nvidia PhysX Effects (Turn off at in-game graphic settings)
  • DirectX 11 (Disable at launcher settings)
  • Adaptive exposure (Turn off at in-game graphic settings)
  • Anti-aliasing (Turn off at in-game graphic settings)
  • 64-bit mode (Disable at launcher settings)
  • DirectX 10 (Disable at launcher settings)

I was going to try to isolate the one(s) that might be causing the issue and updating my support ticket as necessary.  I guess I'll start with DirectX 10!

Edit: turning off all of these made the game run stably for my entire playtime

Edited by BadAstronaut

Curious, they shouldn't even LET players choose both DX10 and DX11.  It should be one OR the other.

Really needs to be a mutually-exclusive checkbox instead of letting players select both.  As in if you select one of them then the other one gets greyed out, clears the checkmark if it is there previously, and isn't activated.

Unfortunately, disabling DirectX 10 didn't fix the issue.  I still even have the issue when disabling all of the options I mentioned above, but instead it'll stay minimized for a couple of seconds and then fix itself so I don't have to quit out of the game so that's how I'm playing for now.

I've been going back and forth with support and I'm hoping to be able to drill down to the root cause of this problem soon.  They have copies of my dxdiag, EE.log and Launcher.log files.

The wierdest thing for me? I had DX10 and DX11 enabled on my system when I first started playing WarFrame.

I disabled DX10 only (leaving DX11 enabled) and started getting major freezes/glitches after missions with the recent 18.4.2 hotfix.

So I re-enabled DX10 and DX11 and did Verify & Optimize in the launcher. Now the game is running smooth again O_O.

Taking a WILD guess but it may be that players need to make a choice before starting to play WarFrame and not be able to change it or the game glitches out. Probably some files not being updated/changed properly.

EDIT: Wild guess was incorrect. It is a WarFrame (server) issue with the game itself. Recent hotfixes to graphics messed up stuff.

Edited by FreshNinja007