Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There A Way To Tell Who Is Host In A Pug?

(PSN)xPaizenx

Question

the easiest way, and my method, of determining if i am the Host or not - is having a network analyzing widget running in the background at all times.

if i'm Uploading a significant amount of packets and not Downloading a particularly significant amount of Packets, then i know i am the Host.

knowing who else is the Host... is very tricky. if you're playing against high Level Enemies, probably whoever is taking the most Damage / dying.

knowing who is the current Host is indeed rather... difficult. there isn't any actual UI icon or Et Cetera that will tell you, you must figure it out yourself.

There really should be some sort of indicator to notify who the host is...or even something as simple as having the host always be first listed

This will be coming soon TM - sooner on PC than on Console (to address OP's ask), but it is in progress nonetheless! 

It is this panel that can let you know who the host is -- 

0XI41wk.png

In a squad of 4, the first one will often be the host.

But...doesn't it always put you at the front, regardless of hosting...ness?

EDIT: oooooooooooooooh

Edited by MechaGent

The guy who appears (first) in the intro cutscenes is usually the host.

Obvious problem with this is that you can't determine the host post-cutscene, so it's just a guessing game from there. But hey, it's still a method.

There really should be some sort of indicator to notify who the host is...or even something as simple as having the host always be first listed

...and how will anyone else know? -.-

The idea would be for the host to give you the reply you want.

knowing who else is the Host... is very tricky. if you're playing against high Level Enemies, probably whoever is taking the most Damage / dying.

Wait, this is a real thing?? I heard it once before and passed it off as bull but if its true, it really needs to be fixed.

Wait, this is a real thing?? I heard it once before and passed it off as bull but if its true, it really needs to be fixed.

It has more to do with latency -- host will have near-zero latency between his position and enemies, while clients will experience a noticeable delay between their actions and enemy reactions, and will often will be able to avoid enemy fire by simply moving. 

This will be coming soon TM - sooner on PC than on Console (to address OP's ask), but it is in progress nonetheless!

ooh, everyone's favorite thing, 'soon' :p

more importantly though, what about when you're in a Match? having to open the Menu to see 'the other Squad List' to identify the Host seems unnecessary, the Squad List while Playing should also be able to identify who is the Host. something subtle would be acceptable, an underline of the name of the Host, a visible outline on the Avatar of the Host, both (since the Avatar outline may be less visible to those that are ColorBlind), Et Cetera.

Primarch hit the nail on the head. the Host has a 0ms delay to Enemies shooting and hitting you, while Clients have a tiny bit even in 'perfect' Matches.

as a Client, it's much easier to 'dodge' Gunfire and Et Cetera.

and frankly, the game feels more balanced when you're a Client.

Edit:

Or better yet just make the game auto pick the person with the best connection and fastest speeds.

the game already has an Automatic Host elector. it takes samples of Framerate, Network Speed, Et Cetera.

that's only useful in some situations though - as it can't (rather won't) force a Host switch while a Match is already playing.

and the automatic Host Election still wouldn't tell you who is the Host.

Edited by taiiat

everytime i get invited to a game.. i end up being host for some reason. maybe who ever has better internet

I've had the same happen to me.

I have a very fast machine and a nice 50mbit connection and having the host switch to me is annoyingly common.

As taiiat and Primarch stated - I like being client because it definitely improves your survivability.

This can be a problem when I haven't noted all the names on the team because I wasn't host and the group opener has no clue what's going on and isn't giving me the name but also can't invite because he's no longer host.

I've got a great machine and fast internet but its massively inconsistent as our copper phone lines are at end of life. So packet loss/ping spikes are quite common whenever a truck goes down the street or theres a sudden downpour of rain.

I wonder if warframe ever runs a 1 minute ping/network connection test during the launcher/loading screen. Like one of my other online games does.

I simply ask who it is.

There are mostly 2 cutscenes in the beginning of a mission. The first one (with the ships flying in) can be skipped by everyone. The second scene (where you drop out your ship, or from a grate in the ceiling etc.) can normally only be skipped by the host. Or rather, button mashing my space-bar doesn't work on the second scene.

Then I simply ask: who skipped it?

Someone replies: me!

You're the host then.

It's that simple (^_^)

Meeeeee!

ooh, everyone's favorite thing, 'soon' :p

[...]

*Ahem*

It's Soon, TM. Don't wear it out.