Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scythe Mechanic Idea. Chaining Finisher Combos (Better Than Basic Buffs!)

(XBOX)bigsnake84

THE JIST: Add a scythe combo or two that can set enemies up for a finisher, speed up this specific finisher animation, and make the stun and finisher repeatable by mashing after the first time the combo is inputted. Result? Ash-like bladestorm but with a melee weapon O.o

I recently read out of the plethora of "Buff scythes!" posts about an idea to turn scythes into finisher weapons. The idea is to have a stance combo or two easily be able to follow up with a finisher and can chain the finisher moves with nearby enemies. Think like the Clashing Forest stance how the battering roots combo, the one with the launching kick, can be repeated without having to re-do the whole combo. It just continues to do the last three hits. Maybe scythe stances can have this where after a combo has been done it'll repeat the last couple of moves stunning enemies with the first hit and doing a finisher with the last. This can make scythes have a unique aspect to them, satisfy the VERY needed buff, and make scythes into the soul reaping badasses they deserve to be.

PS: The finisher animation needs to be fast and easily chained to the next enemy. The risk would be only hitting one enemy at a time. A range buff would be nice too as right now they feel like daggers if you dont have reach on

PSS: Maybe the finisher chain animation speed can be based on melee multiplier or amount of enemies chain in one go. Also maybe this chain finish can be introduced into an entirely new stance. Possibly even dagger(s) should get something like this

Edited by (XB1)bigsnake84

Scythes need some love. Finisher weapon concept sounds interesting. Maybe make scythes crit based mid-heavy weaponry

I originally wanted a damage/crit buff too but thinking about it, there's already crit based, status based, and straight damage based weapons. It'd be nice to have a new type to go with for variety

Scythes are basically clubs. And feel like them.

I'm all for buffing them, but I'm not sure if making them reliant on a single gimmick would be a good idea, though.

And yet a gimmick that would have ungodly endgame abilities due to finisher damage bypassing armor and shields.

I just believe that the way most weapons are getting buffed are redundant and dont allow unique styles of play. Imagine having a melee weapon that can allow you to do ash-like finishers in a chain. Sounds way more fun than "oh my reaper does 20 more base damage"

This is good, but i would also propose to redo all the stances and the finisers. Include some kind of finisher that its quick enough, something like 0.75sec so it still viable and you dont get "stuck" doing a long animationg on a crewman while a bombard obliterates you.

Another aproach will be this+remodel to make then longer and give then the clasical scythe look, make then a multihiting weapon alongside with a nice finisher move.

Include some kind of finisher that its quick enough, something like 0.75sec so it still viable and you dont get "stuck" doing a long animationg on a crewman while a bombard obliterates you.

Yeah thats definitely the idea. It needs to be a quick finisher that would chain fast to the next enemy as it would probably only hit one enemy at a time, but not so fast that you could out kill ash's blade storm. Needs to be a little risky but at the advantage of easy finisher damage that could murder heavy armor and shields. Maybe this finisher combo could be added to both the existing stances

Come on Tenno! I have a strong belief in this idea as it can make a unique class of these melee weapons. Right now it just sits as a different animation set rather than a unique style of play, and one thats weaker. There needs to be better ways to buff this different class of melee weapons rather than simple numbers buffs. Most people have been craving new mechanics, well here's some potential.

No, because finishers arent hard to do. All you litteraly need to do is block at the right time and stagger things. Or just ground slam. Then bam, finisher, and one shot thing. Or yknow, be exlca, use that augment and press 2 a lot.

If youre saying "I dont want just a straight up damage buff, I want them to be interesting" Im all for that tho.

No, because finishers arent hard to do. All you litteraly need to do is block at the right time and stagger things. Or just ground slam. Then bam, finisher, and one shot thing. Or yknow, be exlca, use that augment and press 2 a lot.

If youre saying "I dont want just a straight up damage buff, I want them to be interesting" Im all for that tho.

But the point of it being a combo that repeats itself is so that you can go from enemy to enemy doing finishers swiftly without having to block or ground slam. You pretty much get to do ash blade storm stuff except only one enemy at a time and you're still vulnerable.

And yet a gimmick that would have ungodly endgame abilities due to finisher damage bypassing armor and shields.

I just believe that the way most weapons are getting buffed are redundant and dont allow unique styles of play. Imagine having a melee weapon that can allow you to do ash-like finishers in a chain. Sounds way more fun than "oh my reaper does 20 more base damage"

Actually relying on finishers wouldnt change a thing about endgame viability.

Getting stuck in animation means you will die and if enemies cant fight back then it doesnt matter what you do

Actually relying on finishers wouldnt change a thing about endgame viability.

Getting stuck in animation means you will die and if enemies cant fight back then it doesnt matter what you do

Thats why i specifically mentioned these finisher animations would need to be fast and easy to chain, of course not so fast that you're bladestorm 2.0. The point is using a slightly more risky combo at the ability of being able to bypass armor/shields more effectively than the way finishers usually occur.

Come on Tenno! I have a strong belief in this idea as it can make a unique class of these melee weapons. Right now it just sits as a different animation set rather than a unique style of play, and one thats weaker. There needs to be better ways to buff this different class of melee weapons rather than simple numbers buffs. Most people have been craving new mechanics, well here's some potential.

Well good luck with that. Any time I've tried to introduce interesting ways to use a melee weapon the interest has flatlined.

Here are some examples:

Dual Hook Sword focuses on killing shielded/chilled/magnetized enemies:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/393065-polaris-tenno-dual-hook-weapon/

Sparring that focuses on kicking and knockback to do damage:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/394248-tenora-corpus-sparring-weapon/

Sais that focus on counters and finishers:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/395163-tenno-sais-dual-melee-weapon/

Well good luck with that. Any time I've tried to introduce interesting ways to use a melee weapon the interest has flatlined.

Yeah those are some great ideas. The one where the enemies are flying back sounds entertaining.

You know its hard out here for a pimp

When you tryna get some brand new mechanics.

You know its hard out here for a pimp,

When every buff wanna stay on that simp

Haha popped in my head when i noticed how hard it is for this kind of stuff. Brownie points to those who get the reference