Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Token Alerts Instead Of "?" Alerts

Munificent

I was thinking that maybe instead of having "?" Alerts with specific rewards, to have alerts that give something like a "Lotus Token" or something so that people could spend those "Tokens" in a "Lotus Shop" or "Token Shop" of some sort. I feel like this would be better than the "?" Alert system because then people would not miss a specific reward and not see it again for weeks, or even months. Instead, they could gather up a reasonable amount of these "Tokens", such as around 15-20 for a Orokin Catalyst/Reactor Blueprint and maybe 5-15 for different melee weapon blueprints and buy them from the shop.

Edit: Maybe make things cost more, like Catalysts/Reactors costing something like 50 "Tokens". So it wont make Platinum redundant.

Edited by Munificent

So your easy system for the items is this...

Every alert provides a random set of tokens varying between 1-5...

Very Common items such as Scavenge artifacts and random weapon BPs are between 1-5 tokens.

Common Weapons and Artifacts 6-8

Uncommon Weapons and Artifacts 9-12

Rare Weapons and Artifacts are 13-14

Helmet BP are 10

and Orokin Reactors/Catalysts are 20/15

Am I getting this right?

I think that DE could also take action on the price of these tokens are offer new things at a ridiculous token price. I feel like the current rage in the community is all about the uncertainty in the ability to get Vauban or any upcoming new shiny stuff, so if we had a way to get it for sure that would be super difficult, we might have like 5-10% less rage

The token prices you listed would be way too cheap.... things would have to be like anywhere from 10-50....

Edited by Tabtree

I'd like to see the "?" alerts eliminated and replaced with alerts that always have a random reward of various rarity levels. Then, with the same rate of frequency of current "?" alerts, add the Token idea of the OP.

not sure i like the idea of everybody just sitting around waiting for alerts to pop since at that point they are the most rewarding thing you could do.

or people bailing from missions when they get an alert on their twitter.

i dono, it seem like as you get stuff currently you only need to watch it for a few more things. 

with that change the overall need to "do them all" skyrockets. 

id rather move away from alerts than make them more important.

It's a good suggestion... but everybody would only use them to get what they want, mostly potatoes :/

Not sure that I see the problem with that, as that if you make items that people want cost higher, possibly significantly higher, and thus the items have been earned.

EDIT;

not sure i like the idea of everybody just sitting around waiting for alerts to pop since at that point they are the most rewarding thing you could do.

Currently, I just set around waiting for alerts with things I want to pop up. I do not see how this would change anything.

Edited by liavalenth

It's a good suggestion... but everybody would only use them to get what they want, mostly potatoes :/

But if the price was compensated correctly, the average person would get them just as frequently as before. The unlucky people wouldn't be stuck missing everything though.

This could work so long as things like potatoes etc are VERY expensive.  They could still have the potato after the livestream since they drop that in themselves OR just have that alert drop the amount of tokens required to get a potato (which would be useful for those of us who don't actually need the potato anyways!) Most people just have issues with yet another in game currency to track.  This was brought up in another thread about a bounty system that had it's own currency/market.

The ability to choose what you want at your convenience is something I suspect DE is trying to stay away from.

DE_Rebecca has effectively stated that Alerts are designed to be random treats. I don't foresee the RNG being put to rest any time soon.

And what Would Rebecca, Steve and the others have to bring home for supper? Serve the hungry kids tokens? ;-)

I understand fairness and the strong wish to not miss a single thing but a free game must come with a price to persuade people to spend a few dollars on micro transactions.

Up to now everyone can get everything!! for free... You do not pay to win in this game and the only drawback for completely playing free is not being able to have all the goodies at your disposal at the time you choose...more then fair in my perspective.

If you want that one warframe, that one sword or helmet, either pay for it  or wait till you have that window of opportunity. And if you miss that one, there will be another one. Sure it may take some time but hey... you can still play, have fun etc. And again, that is the only price of playing free. Fair? I think it is. 

Tokens, in that light is useless, since you'd just rush and farm the tokens at your most convenient time, hand them in and walk away with your favorite item. People will lose interest even quicker as soon as there is nothing to wish for. 

And what Would Rebecca, Steve and the others have to bring home for supper? Serve the hungry kids tokens? ;-)

I understand fairness and the strong wish to not miss a single thing but a free game must come with a price to persuade people to spend a few dollars on micro transactions.

Up to now everyone can get everything!! for free... You do not pay to win in this game and the only drawback for completely playing free is not being able to have all the goodies at your disposal at the time you choose...more then fair in my perspective.

If you want that one warframe, that one sword or helmet, either pay for it  or wait till you have that window of opportunity. And if you miss that one, there will be another one. Sure it may take some time but hey... you can still play, have fun etc. And again, that is the only price of playing free. Fair? I think it is. 

Tokens, in that light is useless, since you'd just rush and farm the tokens at your most convenient time, hand them in and walk away with your favorite item. People will lose interest even quicker as soon as there is nothing to wish for. 

Well, they could always sell the tokens for platinum.

This is a good suggestion (even if not original). I still remember the first time a Glaive pattern was rewarded from an alert. It was late morning on a weekday where most people were at work or school. There was a lot of rage about that, so imagine what it'll be like when the new frame patterns start to drop at crappy times. The current system while random I think angers players more than anything.

The costs of items can be higher for items that could be purchased with platinum as well to make sure people will still buy them both ways. You could also use this as a way to buy rare mats to keep stock piling to a minimum.

I wouldn't go so far as to say a token system would outright kill DE's ability to make profit - assuming the prices in the 'token exchange' or whatever are high enough (Or the tokens scarce enough, or whatever combination), it'd still be possible to preserve the 'pay2convenience' balance.

With proper balancing, I think this is an excellent way to give more incentive for players to look out for any alert, not just the ones that drop what they want. It'd also solve the ever-persistent complaint of "I missed the alert for X while I was at [work/school/the store/the movies/the restroom for an excessively long time]" - instead of being all-or-nothing, you'd be able to slowly - and I do mean slowly, for balance and DEprofit purposes - make progress towards a reward that you set.

It also solves the concern about too many items being added into the ? alert reward pool - this way each addition doesn't make everything else less likely, but instead you've simply got a greater variety of things that you might want to spend your tokens on.

EDIT: One thing that does need to be considered, however, is whether such a system would make platinum redundant. If we're earning Tokens to buy things, and we can buy Platinum to buy the same things, is there a point to differentiating the two? I'm not taking a side here, just speculating and looking for opinions - would merging the two systems such that alerts (or a subset of alerts) give a very small platinum reward (With the way slot/potato prices currently are, I'd imagine it could only be 2 or 3 platinum) make sense?

Edited by Thor

EDIT: One thing that does need to be considered, however, is whether such a system would make platinum redundant. If we're earning Tokens to buy things, and we can buy Platinum to buy the same things, is there a point to differentiating the two? I'm not taking a side here, just speculating and looking for opinions - would merging the two systems such that alerts (or a subset of alerts) give a very small platinum reward (With the way slot/potato prices currently are, I'd imagine it could only be 2 or 3 platinum) make sense?

I believe I have an answer for that. Platinum would still be useful, for two reasons.

1) as long as the process is slow enough, if people want something right now they would still want to use platinum. The problem with this is that, if they got everything they wanted, they could just store up this currency until a new thing to get with it comes out. Now there are a few solutions to that - my idea would be to have a maximum cap of the currency

For Example, if you get 1-5 per ? Alert, and the most expensive thing costs 200 Tokens, make it so you can only have 220 tokens in your inventory, if you want more you have to buy something,

2) They would not be able to buy things with tokens that are not items in the game, or for  that matter are not currently able to be obtained through (?) Alerts. This includes Warframe and weapon slots, color packages, etc. People would still have to buy platinum to get those things. They would also have to use platinum to get things already constructed, as the Token system would give BPs, not the item.

Merging the two, giving Platinum for (?) Alerts, I believe would substantially devalue platinum. It would be easier to implement, but a bad idea for their income.

Edited by liavalenth