Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Tale Of Humans...

065tdsa

Ok, here comes the first chapter of a would-be-story featuring Humans. I like to assume they are out there, most of the time doing not so extraordinary things as being punching bags for Tenno. But of course, there are always some who take it a little further... But you gotta read the real thing for the details.

Chapter/s:

Chapter 1: The old fashion way...

The Asteroid Hunter, as any mining cruiser, on a regular day of work would have been invaded with the deafening sounds of the mining machinery, along with the voices of its crew. That day of work, however, the sounds were rather different, sounds of gunfire and screams. One voice, however, remained un changed in all but the meaning he expressed:

-Grow a pair, you spineless COWARDS! Get your heads out from under those boxes, and put those guns to good use!-yelled Captain Val Drakhem to his men, as they fought off several squads of Grineer Lancers, holding the main access to the ship's Shuttle Hangar.

-These Grineer dogs are not having MY ship!-he continued, yelling over the noise of his own Grakata, as he mowed down some advancing Lancers.

They had been at it almost the whole day, since that Grineer battle cruiser had shown up, flying far faster than they could, and requested them to surrender their ship, their cargo, and themselves. Sure, mining in Grineer space may not sound wise, but being trapped between them, and the equally unwelcoming Corpus and Infested, choices were scarce.

So, as the Grineer boarded the ship, forcing their way in from entry points at the upper sections, Val Drakhem and his crew had been forced back to their last position inside, in the Shuttle Hangar. The captain was not one to surrender easily, but neither were the Greener.

-Flameblades, watch your backs!-one of the crew members yelled as he saw their distinctive figures, and knew what came next.

One of them appeared right behind Val Drakhem, or that was what he expected, but instead he met with the edge of his blade, The Peacemaker. It was a very simple, but deadly blade, made of a strange grey metal, very sharp, and with a  graceful, slightly curved design, very different to anything made by the corpus or the Grineer.

None of his crew knew where the Captain had found such a strange sword, or what was so special about it. What they did know was that it would cut straight through the heaviest of Grineer, as quickly as it would solve any disputes they might think of having, hence the name they gave it. Maybe it hadn't gone so far as to cut a baby in half, but it had gone through many priceless items, when people were foolish enough to continue an argument once it was drawn.

The Flameblade fell to the floor, his head severed from his body. Many others followed that example, but by that time, the distraction they provided had served it's purpose, as several Heavy Gunners started to fire on the crew, pinning them down under a rain of bullets.

Sliding under the streams of bullets that flied through the air, Nolk Eris, the appointed second in command, rushed towards the Captain's position.

-Sir!-he said quickly as he got behind cover, right next to the Captain-The side entrances are crumbling down, we have many wounded, and we are running out of ammo! We have to go in the shuttles now, or we'll lose all of the crew!

-You have to know me better than that!-the Captain answered-I am not leaving this ship!

-Sir, the crew!-Nolk replied-They count on you, you can't let them die!

-I am too old to start over kid-the Captain said then, showing a little sadness in his voice-You... You'll lead them now, i know you can. Take this-he said, as he handed him a small data pad- It'll show you the way. And take this-he added, handing The Peacemaker over to him-to help clear it, should you need to. Don't worry about those dogs, i'll give them a good show, you just focus on putting some distance from the ship.

-But sir... What are you going to do?-Nolk asked, doubting.

-I am going to keep my word. And you'll follow your orders, am i right?

-Yes, Sir-Nolk answered, with renewed resolve, as he rushed to gather what was left of the crew, and led them to the shuttles, moving as quickly as they could while some of them fired their rifles to cover the retreat, and Val Drakhem fired his Grakata to cover them.

Val Drakhem was soon left all alone, hiding behind some big, empty ammo boxes. As the Greener approached, he fired a final burst with his Grakata, and then was left unarmed.

He then reached for the holster on his hip, destined to a side arm. But what he pulled out was a small controller. He then pushed a button and stood up from behind cover, holding the controller as to mimick a gun. The Greener fired on him, and he fell, after taking three hits to the chest.

Shortly after that, all of the Grineer were seemingly frozen at their spots, as they turned around, and looked towards their High Commander, who had entered the field of battle. He then approached the fallen Captain, whom was still alive, if barely so.

-Why would you do such a thing, Human?-the Grineer Commander asked him-Why not run like the others? You didn't care for your miserable life?

-There's no reason...-Val Drakhem answered, as he coughed up some blood-I would risk not seeing... The look in your face-Then he dropped the controller from his hand, and an anouncement was heard everywhere through the ship:

Fatal Reactor Core Overload, Inminent, Inmediate Destruction Ensured. The Aquila Shipyard thanks you for your preference. Fly safe, Fly Aquila.

WHAAT?NOOOO-the Grineer screamed, his face torn by fear and then pain as the explosion reached him.

The Captain simply laughed for those final seconds, before being consumed as well.

From the shuttles, the view was terrifing, as the explosion that originated from the Asteroid Hunter engulfed the Grineer battle cruiser, both of them destroyed completely, and the resulting shockwave shook all of the shuttles, expelling them further away from the place of the blast.

Inside one of the shuttles, Nolk had examined the Captain's data pad, but the only thing he found were a set of solar coordinates. As he stared back into the burning remains of the two ships, he thought: You kept your word, captain. I'll follow my orders, and he relayed all of the shuttles the coordinates for the new destination as he setted the course.

All maps he remembered showed that area of space as simple void, but he had heard many stories from the Captain, who had been an explorer in his youth, and the void, he'd say, was the favourite hiding place of the greatest, and, perhaps, the most profitable, secrets.

Any thoughts? 

EDIT:Some typos fixed (namely the word Grineer, which i misspelled EVERY damn TIME).

Edited by 065tdsa

I love that your Grineers are actually strategic genius compared to those dumb idiots we keep fighting... Would actually like to see them moving about like that in the actual real game. I'm also a fan of thinking that humans exists out there pretty much the way you described... Even so much as, in fact, thinking that every human has the "potential" to be Tenno, much like in the MArvel Universe, everyone could technically be a Mutant with a latent X-gene. So Nolk could be a latent Tenno, y'know what i'm saying?

I don't want to influence your story, though, very well written.

Edited by ReiganCross

I guess i'll carry on with this one for a little more:

Chapter 2: The Garden...

As they traveled towards their unknown destination, Nolk, whom, despite his reluctance to bear the title, had been appointed as new Captain, made a quick list of the crewmen and their resources.

They had lost most of the Miners, and all Security Details from Command Deck to Reactor Core, leaving only the Hangar detail, along with the Dropoffs(whom acted as scouters when approaching potentially dangerous asteroids), along with the small team from Electronic Security.

They still had the entire Medical Team, however most of them were very busy tending to those that had been injured. Also, the vital command posts, Navigation Officer, Comm Expert and Chief Engineer, had all survived without serious injury.

The crew could function properly, he concluded, now i just need to run into a free ship. Like that's going to be easy and all...

He was interrupted at that point, as the assigned pilot of his shuttle announced:

-There's a ship up ahead, it seems to be a derelict. Captain, what are your orders?

-We will approach, slowly-Nolk answered-Scan the ship for any kind of activity. And find a possible entry point.

-Yes Sir-the pilot answered him as he maneuvered to get in proper position for the scanners.

The former Surveillance Officer, Arí Nek, an old veteran, started reading from the reports:

-We have detected very little electric activity. The ship's Reactor seems to be dead, or else disabled. There are some solar panels active, but the energy isn't powering anything in the Ship, all the systems are offline.

-We also detect a tremendous concentration of life forms in the middle section-he said, slightly surprised-It looks like Infested, but, i cannot imagine how would this many fit in this space. I guess they must have been contained there by the ship's former crew. There also are some pale signals coming from a Storage area, but i doubt there's anything to it.

-As far as the design goes-he continued- It's very similar to the Corpus' ships, particularly those made from salvaged parts. If i had to bet, i'd say this is one very old ship. I found us an entrance though, a Secondary Shuttle bay, close to the Command Room.

Nolk considered their options. An Infested ship wasn't really a nice one to board. But, if it really was contained to such a degree, maybe it could hold, at least for as long as it took to get what they could use. We go in, we do our thing, we get out, and they'll never know we were there, he figured.

-Tell all the shuttles we are going to dock, show them the way-he ordered-Once we are in the ship, we can get an actual plan as of what to do. We aren't staying for long anyway.

As the shuttles docked, Nolk guided the crew out, reminding them to wear their space suits, sealed. He wasn't taking any chances, not with the Technocyte Virus. He knew what it could do.

-Ok, this is what we'll do-he began as all of the able crew members from the different shuttles gathered around him-Hangar security, i want you to set up shop, we need this area well secured, in case we have to defend. I am taking the Dropoffs, and the Electronic security team with me, we need to get some basic systems online, so we'll go to the Command Room, and then to the Main Surveillance Room, to get some eyes on those life forms.

-If you need to get Surveillance, you know you have me to handle that-Arí said as he stepped into the conversation.

-Much appreciated-Nolk replied-I am sure your expertise will be useful.

-Sir-a young man stepped forward-I have an initial analysis of the ship's atmosphere. It oddly resembles planetary atmosphere, but also contains some anomalous particulates, which i haven't been able to identify.

That was Aren Kane, the youngest member of the medical team.

-Good to know-Nolk answered to him-Can you get a more definite read on those?

-It'll take time- Aren responded-But i am already running them through my data bases.

-Let us know what you find out-was the conclusion. Then, Nolk turned to the group he was leading, and he said-Now, let's do this, quick.

It was quick, as they got to the Control Room without any incident. There, the Electronic team started powering back up the old consoles and analyzing them, but, after a while, they seemed to be confused.

-This consoles' ciphers are different from all of what i have dealt with, even if the language is, indeed, like the one used by the Corpus-concluded Sina Alksan, leader of the electronic security team (and, in another life, notorious hacker, having made a name for herself around the system)-We need more time to figure this out.

-Just don't take too long...-Nolk said, and then he pointed at two men from the Dropoffs squad-You stay here, and keep an eye on the door.

Yes Sir!-they replied.

-We'll continue, to the Surveillance Room-he then said as he turned towards the rest of the group-Hopefully the security measures won't be so heavy as they are here.

-Yep-Arí said-Most of the time the easiest place to get into, is the Security room, as ironic as that might be.

And, as they arrived, he was proven right. It was only a matter of putting a few things back together,drawing some power from the panel system, and they were online.

-Now, let's get some eyes on those infested-Arí said as he rotated through the different cameras.

As Nolk observed the rotations, he heard a voice over the radio, it was Aren.

-I have identified the source of the particulates. It is- he started saying, but then he got cut short as Nolk replied:

-Flowers...

-How do you know that?- Aren asked, very surprised.

-Because i am looking at them...-Nolk replied.

And he was. It was that section that was filled with life forms. It was a large garden, filled with trees, and they all were covered in purple flowers.

-Anyway, Sir-Aren continued- We can take off the helmets, it's safe. We'll keep an eye open for allergic reactions though.

-Roger that-Nolk answered him as he thought: What a strange and wonderful place... Maybe we could stay for a while... Maybe, and he removed his helmet.

Edited by 065tdsa

Corpus and Tenno are actually humans. But great writing.

But they aren't regular humans. Tenno are well... awesome space ninjas, while the Corpus are more similar to my characters, but they hold this evil corporate dominance over many sectors (also half their workforce is made up by robots). My story deals with the unaligned humans, that aren't displayed at all in game, and how i figure they might be (trapped in the middle of the big factions, and somewhat oblivious of the Tenno's existence, since they never feel the direct effects of their operations).

Ok, here comes another chapter, hopefully one that'll get more attention than the last one:

Chapter 3: Occupants?

After getting the full report from Aren, Captain Nolk communicated to everyone it was safe to breath the air in the ship, along with a small warning to report it to the medical team if they suffered any allergic reaction. However, there was more to that report.

-Sir, this species...-Aren started saying, perplexed-They are extinct. They have been for over a hundred years, wiped out from Earth during the Grineer expansion. This must have been a research ship, but we can be certain no such ship has been anywhere near Earth in a very long time.

-Well-Nolk answered him-That would surely explain why no one has reclaimed, or destroyed this place. They all must be long gone.

-Sir, i got a full check up on that "garden", or whatever it is-Arí interrupted-It seems they had cameras inside of it, to record whatever research they were doing. Anyway, it's all plants, should be safe. Any other section we need eyes on?

-What about that storage area, near the engine room?-Nolk asked-We had detected something there, and i want to make sure.

-Let me see...-Arí answered as he went through the different cameras. After a while, he said-Nope, no vision there. I got some view outside of the room though, and it seems to be locked.

-I'll go check it out, i guess-Nolk said then- Any of you guys have explosives? We might have to bust it down, although i hope it doesn't come to that.

-I used most of my stuff on the Grineer-answered Derna Tini, a tall, big man, who was also leader of the Dropoff squad-but i still have a few directional charges. Not big, but they should be enough to bust the lock if we place them well.

-Ok then, come with me. The rest, spread up and explore the area. Arí, keep eyes on all of us, and give some directions.

-Will do-Arí answered-Just give me a while, i'll have to get some more screens up to keep tabs on everyone.

-Get on it, we'll keep in touch-Nolk end the conversation as he left the room, followed by Derna and the others.

Then the Dropoffs spread through the ship to explore, while Nolk and Derna were rushing to the Storage area. 

It's odd, Nolk thought as he analyzed the layout of the ship in his mind, that area seemed to be isolated from the main storage section. And now this... There must be something precious in there.

Arí directed them down a long hallway, through a "linking room"(a large room with several exits on two levels, where cargo and personnel usually go through when needing to go around the ship) and down an elevator.

-There you are-Arí announced-right around the ship's butt. The room you are looking for is down the stairs to your left. You are also fairly close to the Engineering Section. Should i tell some of the guys back at the entry point to catch up with you?

-Sure-Nolk replied-We need them to run the basic tests. It's not like we are going anywhere without the Core online, but i'd like to know we aren't gonna blow up spontaneously. Tell them to steer clear of storage until we have it open though.

-Roger that, they are on the way-Arí concluded-10 minutes tops.

Nolk and Derna then ran over to where the door was. It was, in all appearance locked, with the characteristic yellow glow, but the adjacent console was very different than any standard ones.

-It looks like a scanner of sorts, what do you think?-Nolk asked Derna.

-I wouldn't know about that-Derna responded-The door is too thin. This charges are meant for asteroids. I'll seriously trash whatever is inside if i use them.

-Then maybe i can cut it open-Nolk said, unsheathing the Peacemaker.

At that moment, the scanner activated, and both of them froze, as a green light seemingly examined the sword. A second after that, the light stopped, and the door opened.

-Well-Derna laughed-That was effective, don't you think!

-A bit too effective-Nolk answered, as he considered this-Anyway, let's check the room.

They entered, and were amazed to find what appeared to be men and women sleeping into strange pods, eleven of them in fact. In the walls next to them there were sets of armor, along with a sword, a rifle and a pistol for every one of them.

They were distributed evenly, 5 on each side of the room, leaving just enough space to get between them, and the last one against the back of the room.

-This one seems to have the best gear-Derna said, looking at the weapons near the last pod-All of it looks different than the others. He has no sword though...

-This must be it-Nolk said as he compared his sword to the empty space in the wall-Yes, it's a perfect fit.

-So this is where the old captain got his sword, huh! I guess he had good taste-Durna commented.

-Guys, you dead or something!-Arí interrupted them from over the radio-Tell me something!

-Well, the room's open. But i am not quite sure of what we got here-he said, looking at the pods-Are the engineers here yet? Tell one of them to come check this out.

They waited for a few minutes, and Tara Niev, from the Engineering team, arrived. She seemed very excited as she examined the pods.

-This are some fine pieces of work, guessing some sort of preservation system. One could survive for years inside one of this, but i am no doctor so i couldn't quite tell you. What i can tell you, is that they have their own power source, and are very resistant. The ship could collapse and i don't think the people inside this things would give a damn. I couldn't open them for my life either-she finished, as she caught a breath. She had always been known for speaking rather quickly.

-Well-Nolk answered after assimilating all of the information-Guess we'll see what to do about this later. Can you tell me anything about this weird pieces of armor, or whatever they are?

-Nothing important, Sir-she said shortly after examining one of them-No idea who made them, how they are supposed to work, how do you even put them on. They do appear to be very advanced,  and seem to be custom fitted for the persons who used them. Anyway, the weapons are good to go, and they seem to use ammo similar to our own.

-Ok, so that's that-Nolk concluded-Guess i'll tell a medic to take a look at this people in the pods, but in the meanwhile, Derna, let's take the weapons over for a checkout. Tara, you take this-he added, handing her the sword-and find a way to lock this plce back up, i don't want to mess around with this things too much. Give it back when you are done.

Of course, Captain-Tara answered as she went over to check the scanner and the locking mechanism it was connected to.

Nolk was still slightly annoyed at the title, but he figured he'd better get used to it. He had a ship now, so it was actually appropriate.

-Sir, they tell me they got access to the basic systems at the command bridge-Arí cut him off as he started delving into his thoughts.

-I'll be right there-Nolk answered as he started walking quickly through the hallways. There was a whole lot of work to be done, he was going to have to leave reflexive thoughts for later.

Edited by 065tdsa

Yay, another chapter!... Thank you for actually expanding this stuff! By the way, you got talent for writing there, my friend, congratz o.o

Also, just noticed...

"done, we was going to have to leave reflexive thoughts for later." You sure you spelled that right? English is not my primary language so i might be wrong... But are you sure that one is correct?

Edited by ReiganCross

Thanks for pointing out the typos, English isn't my first language either. Chrome is helping me avoid the most embarrassing mistakes, although i feel i am actually kinda decent at this.

Glad to be able to make it all around better. Hope to see the next Chpt soon.

Here we go again. There's a bit of a leap on this one, but you'll see (or, more likely, you'll read):

Chapter 4: Calm down and...

A week after the crew's arrival to the derelict ship, Captain Nolk was holding a status meeting with the Chiefs and representatives from the main Teams within the crew, to discuss their situation.

-Now, let's start with the Engineering Team's report on the reactor-Nolk said, turning towards the Chief Engineer, Thal Nekta-Do you have a status on the Reactor?

-Sir, the Reactor's situation is quite delicate-Thal answered him- We can't know the scale of the breach the core has suffered without activating it to perform tests. The obvious problem is that, if we activate, it could easily irradiate the whole ship before we get contain it. We need more information from the original damage reports.

-Well, that's not going to be easy-said then Cini Kaldr, Comms Expert- Even though the language is similar to the Corpus, it seems to be deliberately scrambled within the data bases. We are working along with Electronic Security to crack the code, but unless we get lucky, it isn't going to happen soon.

-Ok... So no Reactor-Nolk said then, a bit disappointed-How are we managing with the solar panels?

-They are holding enough to keep the lights up, and the occasional console-Thal answered-We don't want to force them though, they have been out there a long time, and the ship wasn't carrying spares. Or maybe those where the spares?

-Sir, since we are speaking about energy-Aren, whom was sent on behalf of the medical team, started-I had a request to have active air purifiers, at least in the dorm areas. We have dealt with the initial outbreak of allergies with re-breathers, but to wear them all of the time is highly uncomfortable for the crew.  

-Hm... Maybe... Thal, do you think it could be done during the lights out time?-Nolk asked quickly.

-Well, we'd be pushing it...-Thal hesitated-I'll run some calculations.

-Do that please-Nolk answered him, and then looked around the table and asked-What's the next order of business?

A few people raised hands, but at that moment an alarm started sounding, along with the automatic Announcement system:

An intruder has been detected. Remain calm and resume your activities as Security deals with the threat.

-The intruder is locked down in Section 3-11 Delta, i'll inform you when you get there-Arí told Nolk over the intercom.

-The meeting is dismissed, and i am not explaining this-Nolk joked as he ran out, followed by Derna, whom had been recently chosen to led the new Security Squad, and Aren, who seemingly had had his medical kit on him for all of the meeting.

After a relatively quick run, they got to a door where the security detail had gathered, also, next to that place there was a man laying on a bed, seemingly injured in the chest, and surely, as the screaming and swearing indicated, in a great deal of pain. Aren quickly went to check on him, and Nolk followed.

-How are you doing?-Aren asked him.

-How does it look like i am doing doc!?-the man answered-I've got a hole in my damn chest!

-Well, considering your heart is missing-Aren said jokingly upon examining his chest-You look like a corpse... Now seriously, you should be glad for once that it's on the other side of your chest. I'll fix you up so they can carry you to the medical bay.

-Wait-Nolk said, and then turned to the injured man-Can you tell me what happened in there? Did you get a look at him?

-Didn't get to see much, the bastard back stabbed me-he answered-Guess he was expecting me to drop dead, but i screamed, and the guys came out with their guns up. He was gone before they could fire at him though. They carried me out and then the lock down began. You got here pretty fast actually.

-Ok, now get better, we'll deal with the sucker-Nolk told him, and then they carried him away, with Aren following. Nolk spoke through his intercom-Arí, do you have a view of this guy? Are we sure he's still contained?

-Haven't got a clue-Arí answered him-Once we caught up with him, he started blasting cameras and cutting wire, he isolated all the terminals to hack his way out of the lock down.

-Then what's going on with him, is he stuck?-Nolk asked him.

-Yep, and he's staying that way-sounded the voice of Sina over the radio- I was checking on this consoles when he started blasting, and I ended up locked into a small supply room. But i have access to the system, and i can keep him locked. He'll figure it out eventually, so if you are going to kill him, do it for today!

-Did you get any actual look at the guy?-Nolk asked.

-Actually, yes-Sina answered him-He looks like he's wearing one of those weird armors from the room. Or something like that, since i only have your descriptions. He's definitively got a sword similar to the Peacemaker.

-Let me think...-Nolk answered, as he considered that-He's probably here about the others. Maybe we can reason with him, hand them over?

-And what do we do if he wants the ship?-Arí asked-It does sound unlikely for him to take it on his own, but then again, this whole "lone infiltration" idea is far fetched. Maybe the guy's brain froze a bit too much...

-Look, i am going to give it a try-Nolk said-Open it up for a second Sina, i'll meet you in the middle of the room, and distract him if he tries anything while you head for the door. If things go south after that... Well, then i hope you guys can get him.

-I don't like this at all-Arí said-But you are the Captain. Good luck.

-Thanks-Nolk answered. Open it up Sina!

-Go go go!-Sina said, as the door lit green and opened up.

Nolk and Sina ran from opposite sides of the room, heading towards the middle. Sina passed by Nolk and headed for the door, while he stayed there. He looked around, but there were no signs of the intruder.

-Look, I know you are here somewhere!-Nolk spoke loudly, as he turned around, scanning the room with his eyes-Whatever you are looking for here, i am sure we can get to an agreement!

There was no response, not a sound.

-Ok you aren't very talkative, are you?-Nolk said, and then he continued, as he unsheathed his sword-Then just come out, and let's get done with this.

At that moment, an armored figure appeared in front of him...

Ok, let us begin with some action:

Chapter 5: A day's work

Nolk strengthened his grip on his sword as he saw the intruder revealed himself.

The armor covered his whole body, with no openings, not even for the eyes. The helmet was seemingly divided in two sections, the upper half was yellow, like sand, and the lower half was brown. The torso was grey, colour that predominated on the armor, and the muscles of the man inside showed just slightly in the chest, and the arms were covered by some sort of armor plate, with holes were a green light would come from.

Nolk observed him as he drew a long, slim blade, just a little smaller than his own. The armor didn't seem to be very protective, but it looked deceiving. As he looked at his feet, he saw the tell tale blue edge of a shield. It wasn't going to be easy to get through that.

This armored figure advanced and started attacking Nolk. Nolk had practiced with swords in the past, as he was the designated spar for Captain Drakhem (a designated training dummy would have been a more appropriated title, considering his performance, although he did learn a lot) , and was able to block the first attempts, but the figure didn't seem to be really trying. He was seemingly testing Nolk.

After a few clashes of the swords, Nolk saw an opening and tried to attack, but his opponent suddenly disappeared  covered by the characteristic light of a teleportation. Nolk rolled through the ground, barely avoiding the attack that followed, as the figure had reappeared behind him.

Nolk got up quickly, and the swords clashed again, but this time his opponent was more aggressive, and he forced Nolk back as the fight continued. Soon he found himself cornered against a wall.

To that point, Nolk realized it was only going to get worst for him, and decided it was best to end it quickly. He then lunged for his opponent's chest, and got a powerful hit in, breaking through the shields and making him back off.

As Nolk approached him, he saw a flash, and the figure disappeared, replaced by a cloud of smoke. Nolk went through the smoke and swung his sword around the room, trying to find him, and avoid getting surprised.

He then heard an unknown noise, and, as he turned towards it, his chest was met by a blade of energy, thrown by his enemy. Nolk fell down to the ground in great pain, and this enemy looked at him for a second, at least in appearance, and then walked towards the console nearby, to continue hacking the doors.

He shortly finished, and was heading towards the door, as Nolk, whom had gotten up behind him, yelled at him:

-You aren't leaving this room while i am still standing! Why? Because the people over there are under my command, i am their captain! To protect them-he stopped, as he coughed, and blood came out of his mouth-That's my job! So come and get me!

The figure looked at him for a second, the expression behind his blank helmet being unknown, but surely meaningful. Then he nodded, as if answering Nolk's challenge.

The figure disappeared in a flash of light, and at that moment, Nolk remembered something:"Teleporting and fast, moving objects don't really go along" Val Drakhem had once told him, thinking of it as a curiosity "If you place something, such as a sword, right on the middle of their target position, they appear around it. Do you like blood fountains?"

Remembering that, and with nothing to lose, Nolk slashed right behind him. And, luck or fate, his blade was caught into the enemy, right through shield, armor and flesh, into one of his sides. Nolk pulled it out, and the opponent fell down, seemingly disabled. Nolk looked down to him for a second, as he heard the doors opening, and people coming through.

Then he fell down, unconscious...

Nolk woke up a while later in a room in the medical bay. He saw Sina was sitting next to him.

-How long has it been?-Nolk asked her.

-Six hours, more or less-she answered-You know, i have to admit i had some doubts about you, but you are crazy alright.

-And that's good?-Nolk laughed-You know, i am not sure how good you are at this bedside thing...

-Maybe i suck at it-Sina responded-but, for the guy who almost got himself killed to make sure i got out in one piece, i had to give it a try.

-Captain's duty, it isn't supposed to be easy, or safe-Nolk said- What happened with our visitor?

-They have him tied down, as tight as it gets-Sina told him then-And no, you are not going to see him now. Aren says that, if you try to get out of bed, i have to knock you out cold. Don't worry though, you'll be first to talk to him.

Then the door opened, and Aren came into the room.

-What did i say about chit chat?-he nagged Sina, visibly irritated-So many officers, chiefs and whatnot are starting to pile up in the hallway, but this patient, Captain or no Captain, needs sleep, and i'll see that he gets it, even if i have to run everyone off with a scalpel. Tell them that in your way out, please...

Sina left quickly, and then Aren pushed a button on a machine nearby, and, before he could know what was happening, Nolk started feeling sleepy.

-Now rest. That's what matters-Aren turned towards him, his voice kind, as usual.

Nolk fell asleep again.

Awesome... AI was afraid if you were going to keep pulling "lucky" moments all over the place but you actually moved out of it after a while, so great writing overall.

True, the guy got lucky, and more than once, but a lone human can't beat a Tenno in a fair fight (even if this one was a bit weighed before the start... but i wont tell anything about that until time comes). The other alternative would have been to make Nolk a superhuman, but that wasn't the plan. It can be nicely done, but it's not really my style, i prefer to make them do it the hard way.

True, the guy got lucky, and more than once, but a lone human can't beat a Tenno in a fair fight (even if this one was a bit weighed before the start... but i wont tell anything about that until time comes). The other alternative would have been to make Nolk a superhuman, but that wasn't the plan. It can be nicely done, but it's not really my style, i prefer to make them do it the hard way.

Oh yeah, like i said, i can respect a dude way more for outsmarting his oponent and beating the odds. Hell, in a way, your story is better then the overall story and gameplay of warframe where we're just a bunch of murderhobos with all the powers of the universe.

Oh yeah, like i said, i can respect a dude way more for outsmarting his oponent and beating the odds. Hell, in a way, your story is better then the overall story and gameplay of warframe where we're just a bunch of murderhobos with all the powers of the universe.

lol, Giving me too much credit (you only get to say it once i finished it ;)). I think the lack of a well defined lore is the reason there are many good stories, people want to fill the blanks.

Chapter 6: Do we have a deal?

Sina waited around the hallway, along with many others whom were posted there to notify their Group leaders of any changes in the Captain's condition. He saw how several of the other members of the medical team went into the room, then back out and in again, exchanging troubled looks.

After many hours, Aren left the room and approached all of the people waiting outside, whom were desperate for news.

-His wounds aren't healing properly-he said as he noticed the many stares-Some sort of residual energy from that attack is stopping the natural process, and we have no idea how it could be reversed.

-So... He's dying?-Sina asked, clearly upset.

-No, he's not bleeding out, and we have taken all measures to prevent any kind of infection-Aren answered-But if we can't close that wound permanently, then i am not sure how much of a life he can have. We are still running some tests but... Unless something happens, there's nothing to do, not with what we have here. He's asleep now, but as soon as he wakes up i'll have to inform him.

They all knew what that meant. He wouldn't have been the first one among the crew to be incapacitated. And those individuals, unable to function properly, often would choose a way out.

All of the men that had been waiting around quietly left, to communicate the news to their groups, while Sina remained there, still shocked by the news...

After a half hour or so, quick steps rushed through the hallway, as Tara Niev, rushed towards the main office. Sina got up and followed her. She was catching her breath as Aren asked her why she was running through the medical bay, and she answered:

-We had a breakthrough on the intruder's armor, you know, back at the engineering bay, where i just came from. Only finding a way to remove it was a breakthrough, but this is good too. It seems it carries some sort of high tech first aid, far beyond the usual. Airborne, tissue re-constructors, nanobots. I am sure they could be used to heal the Captain's wound. Then again, that things also carries a load of booby traps. Admittedly, two of the guys did get zapped just trying to get a microscopic sample, which did banish after we analyzed it anyway, but it's still something. Also, now that i remember it, Security is bringing them over for treatment.

After Tara stopped hyperventilating (luckily for her, she was already at the medical bay) Aren went down to investigate this new discovery, or at least talk to someone whom could explain it a bit slower. Sina followed him, neither of them speaking at all, until they got to the Engineering bay, where Chief Thal received them.

-I see Tara got there, alive i'd wish to believe-Thal joked.

-Don't worry, she's being taken care off-Aren answered him-As a doctor, i'll have to advice her to take it easy though.

-Good luck then-Thal replied-The kid's passionate about her work, she never listens to me when it comes about taking a break. I know the other two will be glad of catching a break. That's what they get for trying to prove they're tough. Anyway, i'll give you a quick summary.

-I'll rather have a slow summary-Aren said jokingly.

Thal laughed a bit and showed them to a room where they had a big screen, full with what seemed to be schematics of a hand and arm.

-The nanobots come out through the right hand of the armor-he started explaining-They are extremely high tech, like nothing i have seen before, not on infantry gear at least. It seems to be designed as a quick first aid, able to fully heal up a disabled ally and allow them to continue fighting. The only problem is, we have no way to activate the mechanism, not without getting the whole thing to blow up in our faces. Only it's authorized user can do it.

-We do have him in custody...-Sina started saying-But something tells me he might not want to help.

-We have to try-Aren said, decided-You should probably leave that thing the way it was. We'll head to the Holding Cells.

-We haven't done much to it as of now-Thal said-but i'll make sure it's ready to be moved if we need to.

Another long walk around the ship, to get to the Holding Cells area, where they were greeted by most members of security, along with Derna.

-I heard the news-he started-What do you need?

-The prisoner might have valuable information-Aren said-We need to talk to him.

-He's been very quiet-Derna said as he pointed them to a screen, that showed the prisoner, a young male, who was strapped to a bed, and seemingly asleep-If we need to, i'll get him to talk, it'll only take a little "persuasion".

-That could work-Aren answered him-But i want to try something else first.

-Well, as long as it doesn't involve releasing him, have at it-Derna said, as he unlocked the door for him.

Aren walked in slowly, went over to the prisoner, and started checking his bandages. He looked over to the man's face, and found him staring. He was trying to hide it, but he was afraid.

-No need to worry-Aren told him, as he looked at him kindly-I am a doctor, not an Indoctrinator. Trust me, it does make a difference. You haven't known fear till those cube heads start plugging wires into your brain...-he seemed to be remembering something most painful, but then he pushed the memory back and continued as he was-In any case, i do have something to ask you. Our Captain, the one you fought, isn't doing very well. We need you to help us heal him, with your armor's healing system. If you do it, i am sure he'll be willing to let you go, once he's sure you don't mean harm to us.

The young man adopted an inscrutable expression for a second, as he considered his odds. He seemingly found himself short of options, and answered:

-I will help you-he said.

Yeah, you got a good point. Can't wait to see the whole deal, then.

Love the new chapter, by the way.

I just have a question though... They managed to take off his mask? What does Ash looks like on the inside?... Also, Ash can talk?! X__X

Well, I haven't described anyone with great detail, but i might make an exception for my first Tenno...

Also, i don't know about "the" Ash, but this one guy who happens to use an Ash Warframe does talk.

Edited by 065tdsa

Well, that update was helpful (now i know what the shuttles would actually look like). Just gonna need to get a look at one of those Grineer ships now. In the meantime, chapter!

Chapter 7: Recovery

Everything was carefully arranged, as the intruder was being led through the hallways of the ship by almost the entire Security Force. He had his armor on, but not the helmet. He was handcuffed, and 6 guards were around him, aiming their guns to his head. Derna was overseeing the the transport of the prisoner, along with some others whom where curious, or concerned.

-I don't like this-Derna said softly as the group of guards passed near them.

-His energy cells were drained completely, he's unarmed, restrained, and every gun on the ship is pointed at his face-Thal, whom was among the ones watching the transport, answered him-What else would you like?

-Even if good General Ruk borrowed us the Ambassador's main guns to aim them at him, i would still feel uneasy with this-Derna replied-I just don't like that sneaky bastard...

-Just don't shoot him until we are done with this-Thal said as they followed.

The group escorting the prisoner arrived to the medical bay, where those that moved ahead of them had already set up a perimeter, taking over all of the rooms. That didn't last for long though.

-Get out of here!-Aren started screaming a to a pair of the guards, that were covering one of the doors-Not in the patients' rooms, we've been over this!

-Ah, there you are-he said as he saw the prisoner's escort-Let's get this over with. We have two electroshock victims that do NOT need armed people in their rooms.

Aren led them to Nolk's room, where he was still sleeping. The guards distributed themselves around the room, with their weapons still aiming at the prisoner's head.

-Well, go ahead-Aren told the prisoner-Don't worry, we have made sure there are no negative interactions with your first aid system.

-If you say so-the prisoner answered and then he started releasing a green mist from his hand.

The guards were startled, but Aren held them back as they watched the mist envelop Nolk. Aren then went close, and smiled as he saw how the wound started closing. They waited for a few more seconds and then it stopped.

-I can't tell if it's done without my helmet-the prisoner then said-But i don't think it takes more time than that. He should be waking up.

And he was. at first he felt disoriented, as he opened his eyes, and then he saw Aren, leaning over him.

-So...-he started saying-Why do i feel like it took you a sweet time to fix me up?

-Well, it turned out to be tricky. We wouldn't have been able to do it without him-Aren said as he looked over at the prisoner.

Nolk looked at the prisoner, who stood few feet away from the bed, with several of the guards around him. At first he was confused about this young man with short black hair. He had a hard face, something that was shared among many people in the ship, as they all had hard lifes, but he was still young, and rather calm.

His eyes, however, had a strange grey colour, like no one he remembered. But then, he looked at his body, covered in the rare armor, and then he realized who that man was.

-Well, i guess NOW we can have that conversation you owed me-Nolk told the prisoner-You should know that this doesn't take away the fact you stabbed one of my men...

-I know that-he answered quickly.

-You'll talk, tomorrow, and ELSEWHERE-Aren said-In the meanwhile, security needs to get out of my bay.

The guards took the prisoner away. Shortly after that, Derna went into the room.

-Good to have you back Captain-he said-Thal sends his regards, he had to go back with our friend over there. Apparently, removing that armor is a lot of work... The rest have been very busy too, and he fact we kept a significant area of the ship in lock down to move that guy didn't help their workload. Now, i should go get the guys back to their posts-Derna smiled and looked over at Aren-and soon, don't you think?

And he got it done, actually, quite soon, as the young doctor told an auxiliary to go get him his instruments, in a rather intentionally loud way. He only meant to scan Nolk's wound, but he never bothered to tell that to the guards, who left as quickly as they could while still holding on to their dignity.

-Well, i have checked that pretty scar of yours up, and i only have one conclusion-Aren announced after he was done with the scanners-we need to get our own supply of those nanobots.

-I'll tell our friend about that in the morning, surely he can hook us up-Nolk answered him-How come they got him on board for this anyway? He didn't strike as the talkative type back when i first met him.

-i had a few words with him-Aren replied-and we got to an understanding. A friendly one, at least in comparison to the other options...

-Look at that!-Nolk said, genuinely surprised-Never took you as the persuasive type. You might want to come with me tomorrow then.

-Sure thing Captain-Aren responded.