Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stutter / Lag New In 16.5

SirFrags

Beginning with 16.5, Warframe is incredibly laggy for me in a unique way. The game is always pinned at 60 fps (which is usual), but it feels more like 20fps. There is a lot of jitter and spin attack is routinely sending me rocketing across the map at ludicrous speed.

The game appears to run fine in the liset, but starting a mission (hosting or not hosting) and this lag is always present.

Been having the same issue myself. Have never dropped connection in any of the previous patches, never had any lag issues. With this patch, there is a ton of stuttering and lag (causing the game to actually crash several times). Don't know if anyone else has noticed this specifically, but if I (or one of my group) is using a Hydroid, spamming the 4 is almost a guaranteed game killer for me.

I've got this pretty badly as well.

To be clear, warframe runs well 60+fps at all times, but there is now a jitter / judder / frame skipping. It is noticeable in all the missions I've tried, but by far more visible in the new underwater lab tileset.

I've changed every single display setting in game, and tried a variety of vsync smoothing methods using nvidia inspector.

Win7 x64

8 Gb ram

i7-4770K

GTX-970

Edit:

Issue is present using both 32 and 64 bit clients.

Disabling multi-threading FIXES THIS ISSUE for me.

Edited by Ninothing

same here, but I found it's related maybe to loading textures, ( I found that after turning all settings disabled/low and go dojo or any map was same problem, but after I back max settings and the shutter/lag disapear in a few seconds after move any map, even on low dissapear after sometime but was more fast when I did the max settings back )

@SirFS I tried both, both have same problem for me.

Further testing:

nVidia 340.43 -> 350.1, no changes

*MTR = Multi-Threaded Rendering

Warframe 32 bit, works fine

Warframe 64 bit, MTR off, works fine

Warframe 64 bit, MTR on, physx -> enabled in game, stutter

Warframe 64 bit, MTR on, physx -> disabled in game, stutter

Warframe 64 bit, MTR on, physx -> cpu in cpl, stutter

Warframe 64 bit, MTR on, DX10/11, stutter

Warframe 64 bit, MTR on, DX9, stutter

Seems like whatever changes were made with multi-threaded rendering for 64 bit are having an adverse impact for some players. It is the only common factor, other than system components I can not change at the moment.

My specs:

Processor: Intel Quad Core i7-2600K & 3400MHz

GPUs: 2x GTX 580 SLI @ stock

Ram: 16GB DDR3 @ 800Mhz 7-8-7-24 2T

@SirFs sadly for me with MTR enabled or disabled it's the same problem, stuttering when loging, and need wait like 15-20 seconds for that gone, then going to event, and happens same thing stutter, and with low fps 4-9 at max, and after 15-20 seconds gone and my fps back to my normal ones.
after all I found what help me to avoid the stuttering is changing texture memory and geometry detail, I move a bit, then it's same then I back to my settings and gone more fast ( most of times instantly after I accept the changes) so well maybe there are more problems than MTR. :/ it's was fine whole day except after patch.

I just tested with my nvidia pc one. It's fine not problems there, ( Intel i7 + GTX 980) and not stutter, but at my AMD one (FX 8350 & R9 280x) is where I have the problems, seems maybe the old problem with AMD GPU is back maybe :/

I am having a similar problem to the ones listed here.

Previously I have had excellent framerates at all times in Warframe. However, after installing update 16.5 I am now seeing single-digit framerates for the first 2-3 minutes of a mission.

I checked task manager and found that both of my CPU cores are going at around 100% usage during those times, even when Warframe is the only program running. After those first few minutes the usage goes back down to normal, and my framerates return to a playable level. This happens on all tilesets, even just moving around the Lisset.

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHZ
HDD: 1 TB, 700GB free space
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: Asus R7 240 2GB

My guess is that the game engine is now "front-loading" more level assets at the start of a mission rather than loading just the essentials at the beginning and loading other things as the player gets closer to them. Someone with an SSD or better CPU might not notice a difference in performance, but for my system it makes the first few minutes of any level nearly unplayable.

Update: I tried the strategies listed earlier in this thread (switching to 32bit, disabling multithreaded rendering, trying different Directx version, etc.) It all had no effect.

Edited by Rulari

Beginning with 16.5, Warframe is incredibly laggy for me in a unique way. The game is always pinned at 60 fps (which is usual), but it feels more like 20fps. There is a lot of jitter and spin attack is routinely sending me rocketing across the map at ludicrous speed. The game appears to run fine in the liset, but starting a mission (hosting or not hosting) and this lag is always present.

Have you tried running out of SLI? 

Also, i had a post on stuttering a while ago:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/439664-persistent-stuttering/

Is the issue similar?

Have you tried running out of SLI? 

Also, i had a post on stuttering a while ago:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/439664-persistent-stuttering/

Is the issue similar?

I read through the thread, it doesn't appear to be the same issue.  Basically it feels to me like the render and the game are running at completely different framerates.  In areas where I would have low FPS without MTR on, it is the most pronounced. 

Video 1: (poor quality)

Video 2: (xperf run, short)

You can see the visible jittering with the weapon trail in both videos, but much more in the first one.  The stuck object on the vacuum is also showing it as well.  Whenever I slide attack off any vertical drop it just sends me rocketing off, seen best in video 2 but it is in both. 

I am picking through some xperf logs right now to see if I can find anything.  I'll try disabling SLI when I have an opportunity. 

Edited by SirFs

I have a pretty good rig , fx 6300 , r9 270x , 6gbs of ram and let me tell you that my RAM gets messed up every time I play on the new tileset. The used up ram doesn't free up after exiting warframe which is really sad cause if I run WF again my PC crashes. Earlier my ram usage was 94% after exiting the game and it stayed like that until I restarted my pc. 

Explanation : Memory Leak. It's been here since U15 but it got ALOT worse now.

@SziLee

That is not the problem here, as I did check.  Also, why did you cross post the same reply to 3 separate threads?

One is about a memory leak (in title, propblem gets worse every time Miasma is used in 16.5). 

One is about actual framerate drops (started before 16.5).

One is about jitter / out of sync render and gameplay without framerate drop (started only in 16.5).

While the game may have a memory leak, there is something introduced in 16.5 that is causing other issues.

The Memory leak is causing the issues. Open up your task manager then open your resource monitor and you'll see. 

No, it isn't.  As I said, I did check.  Fresh restart or cleaned (using RamMap) w/ a fresh game restart while solo on a new map with no abilities used and no enemies spawned, the problem is still present.

If that isn't enough, from the EE.log: 

0.046 Sys [Diag]: Physical Memory: 10,845MB of 16,359MB Free

0.046 Sys [Diag]: Virtual Memory: 8,388,460MB of 8,388,607MB Free

Now I am not saying there isn't also a memory leak, the evidence doesn't support that it is causing this particular issue.

Let me tell you what I've learned from playing APB for more than 2 years. Memory leaks don't happen to everybody. And it's not a hardware issue since it only happens while playing Warframe. I have a feeling that the leaks only happen to those who weren't able to download the patch on their first try. I myself got stuck on 98% with less than a mb do download and it took me like 5 launcher restarts to download it.

Same here, GeForce GT 220 old card, 4 gb ram 64 bit W7 with Direct X10 system and with the new updates my game is stuttering too :/

Haven't had this problem until 16.0 or something, maybe? idk i haven't been playing warframe for a while, and when i came back, this is happening, literally unplayable.

Edited by Glasglow

I read through the thread, it doesn't appear to be the same issue.  Basically it feels to me like the render and the game are running at completely different framerates.  In areas where I would have low FPS without MTR on, it is the most pronounced. 

Video 1: (poor quality)

Video 2: (xperf run, short)

You can see the visible jittering with the weapon trail in both videos, but much more in the first one.  The stuck object on the vacuum is also showing it as well.  Whenever I slide attack off any vertical drop it just sends me rocketing off, seen best in video 2 but it is in both. 

I am picking through some xperf logs right now to see if I can find anything.  I'll try disabling SLI when I have an opportunity. 

I thought my 'stutter' was bad. Yeesh, that's horrible xD

It looks like a frame-pacing issue. You should see how you fair with only one card running. Or, at the very least, turn v-sync off and see if that helps.