Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Something Is Seriously Borked

Zombie_Sprinklez

Hey all,

For some unknown reason for which I have no idea why, my game crashes frequently and relentlessly when I'm in mission. It can happen at any time, and it can happen several times in a single mission. I just suffered through a survival in which I crashed at least 5 times!

The thing I don't understand is that my computer is built for gaming, and it only crashes this badly in Warframe. I have tried LITERALLY almost everything possible to fix this, but nothing has worked. I don't know what the hell is wrong with this game and my computer, but something is seriously borked.

Basically what happens is the game will freeze, black screen, and then minimize itself to my desktop, and it won't let me back in, forcing me to ALT-F4. I don't even get an error message, which is strange. It just... crashes. Randomly. Relentlessly. It's a more recent thing too, as I have never encountered this problem before more recent updates.

It's a real shame, because I have been here awhile, and I really do love this game, but I just don't know what to do any more... Like I said, I have tried basically everything there is to try, and nothing has fixed this for me...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated though, so give me something, ANYTHING... I just want to be able to play again :(

Thanks

Edited by Zombie_Sprinklez

Submit the crash log to support, they may have a fix. Btw how much memory do you have? Without all the details.. it kind of sounds like you are running out of memory. Try at least to turn off all non vital services and programs. Hope this helps.

I may try support soon, but idk if I can get a crash log because of the weird way that my game crashes :/

Also, I have 16gB DDR3 RAM, so I don't think memory is the issue.

nvidia or AMD gpu? because warframe is having issues with AMD cards

I am running a Zotac Nvidia GTX 980, so that shouldn't be the problem, right?

No, I am not overclocking anything and nothing is overclocked

Some video cards are factory overclocked. Try downclocking it, see if that helps. You could also try unchecking dx10 and dx11 in launcher.

Edited by Zruvan

Some video cards are factory overclocked. Try downclocking it, see if that helps. You could also try unchecking dx10 and dx11 in launcher.

As far as I know, there is no factory overclock on my card. Even so, I'm not good with messing around with stuff like that, so I would prefer not to try.

I would also like to know if you still experience this instability in DX9, Zombie_Sprinklez.

Like I said, I have tried basically everything. Running the game in DX9 did not help, and I still crash when running in DX9.

Have you checked in the Error log for the pc? You should be able to go Start > type in the search "Event Viewer", and see if there are any recorded errors for the exact time you are experiencing the crash. It might not be the game at fault, but perhaps a software conflict when its attempting to access shared resources.

Hope that helps :)

Update 16.5 is the culprit here, ever since this update dropped, I've had more crashes/freezes/glitches than before, and I've been at this game religiously for the past 1.5 years. Heres to wishing DE will get around to finding the errors soon. 

Have you checked in the Error log for the pc? You should be able to go Start > type in the search "Event Viewer", and see if there are any recorded errors for the exact time you are experiencing the crash. It might not be the game at fault, but perhaps a software conflict when its attempting to access shared resources.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you for the suggestion! The only problem is that I'm quite sure I'll have no idea how to read that gibberish, and it won't help me any because of that. I am starting to think that it may have something to do with conflicting software though.

Update 16.5 is the culprit here, ever since this update dropped, I've had more crashes/freezes/glitches than before, and I've been at this game religiously for the past 1.5 years. Heres to wishing DE will get around to finding the errors soon. 

Yeah, I have noticed that ever since the more recent updates, these problems are starting to happen. I've never had these problems in the past; it is only now. If it does have something to do with the game, then indeed, let's hope they find and fix it! Godspeed!

Thank you for the suggestion! The only problem is that I'm quite sure I'll have no idea how to read that gibberish, and it won't help me any because of that. I am starting to think that it may have something to do with conflicting software though.

The error logs are written to be understandable, like "hard drive failure", or "monitor display error", and then gives a little more information.  You should be fine, and anything you don't understand, you can easily google.

The error logs are written to be understandable, like "hard drive failure", or "monitor display error", and then gives a little more information.  You should be fine, and anything you don't understand, you can easily google.

Like PriZms said, the Error Log is written so that you can pick up the names of the errors - if all you get is an error code, as you sometimes do, just pop that code into google and you'll find out more information about it.

When checking my Error Log I uncovered a software driver for my graphics card that spammed over 1,000 errors in a day (sometimes there were over 50 logs for a 1 minute period) which was overloading the system and causing BSOD and restarts. Terminating this stupid driver (which was for a feature of the card I wasn't using anyway), fixed the problem I was having.

Please do at least try and look, instead of just writing it off as "useless gibberish you don't know how to read". You never know until you try right? lol

Like PriZms said, the Error Log is written so that you can pick up the names of the errors - if all you get is an error code, as you sometimes do, just pop that code into google and you'll find out more information about it.

When checking my Error Log I uncovered a software driver for my graphics card that spammed over 1,000 errors in a day (sometimes there were over 50 logs for a 1 minute period) which was overloading the system and causing BSOD and restarts. Terminating this stupid driver (which was for a feature of the card I wasn't using anyway), fixed the problem I was having.

Please do at least try and look, instead of just writing it off as "useless gibberish you don't know how to read". You never know until you try right? lol

Yeah, I'll have to give that a look. Thanks for the help! Any tips as to how I could navigate my way through the Error Log to find what I need?

As far as I know, there is no factory overclock on my card. Even so, I'm not good with messing around with stuff like that, so I would prefer not to try.

Like I said, I have tried basically everything. Running the game in DX9 did not help, and I still crash when running in DX9.

Other Zotac users have reported success with underclocking their card, but I can understand not wanting to alter your hardware if you're not comfortable with it.

Some Nvidia users have also been experiencing less issues by rolling back to the 345.20 drivers as a workaround.

Let me take a guess as to the drivers causing the error...was it the HDMI sound drivers? NVidia had a real problem with them conflicting with motherboard sound drivers a year or more ago.  

right. that issue used to happen to me. 60% of the times i alt tab it crashes or when im coming in/out of a mission. i found that changing from fullscreen to ether windowed (max resolution still) or when i dont plan on tabbing much borderless windowed.

apparently full screen on some games and windows dont mix.

of course. all of the above is assuming that you are running it fullscreen. if you are using it. give windowed/windowed borderless a try and see what happens, after all one less tactic to try if it doesn't fix it.

Let me take a guess as to the drivers causing the error...was it the HDMI sound drivers? NVidia had a real problem with them conflicting with motherboard sound drivers a year or more ago.  

In my particular case no, it wasn't.. it was some advanced acceleration optimisation game feature thing they added into their control panel which wasn't available for my system.. it kept trying to connect and update and activate itself even though my system wasn't capable of using it - hence the excessive spamming of errors to the log. (I forgot the name of it).

I'm not sure precisely which things you've checked so far, but looking through your crashes it appeared you submitted one yesterday related to PhysX. Have you tried yet with PhysX disabled in Warframe? Alternatively you could attempt to force PhysX to be handled by your CPU and see if there's an improvement.

Yeah, I'll have to give that a look. Thanks for the help! Any tips as to how I could navigate my way through the Error Log to find what I need?

Sorry to be so slow getting back to your question.

Once you open the Event Viewer, you'll be shown the Overview and Summary.

If you read the Summary of Administrative Events, you'll see that they are broken down into category and time.

So when you have an error, check the log and see which of the 4 categories (Error, Warning, Information, Audit Success) have entries for the last 1 hr. The only two you really need to pay attention to is the Error and Warning, but by all means check the other 2, you may uncover excessively repeating entries if nothing is found in the Error and Warning.

If you click the + expander next to Error (for example), it will expand and show you a more detailed break down of those Errors logged to the Event Viewer.

For Example

For example, I have 9 Errors in this category (Error) which have occurred within the last 24 hrs. over the last 7 days, I have had 80 errors (and given that I was still installing things, that doesn't surprise me).

The last Error on my list, which happened in the last 7 days says

Event ID: 8032

Source: BROWSER

Log: System

7 Days: 1

This just means that this particular item had 1 error in the last 7 days. You can google the Event ID to find out more information, but you can also double click on that entry to find a little more about it.

It gives me the exact Date and Time the problem happened, and then in the General tab it gives me further information about the error:

"The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{F41838A3-AD7F-48FC-AD36-4AAE111340E6}. The backup browser is stopping."

Since I have no idea what this means, I'd go back to google to find out lol

but just in case I checked the Warning category first, and oh look, there is the BROWSER error again - and double clicking on this gives me more helpful information - that the error is caused by a network service being unavailable and it makes total sense to me now.. I was transferring files between my pc and a network location on the LAN, and that network location was not able to connect.

And basically.. that is all you need to do with the Event Viewer - you can google, or cross reference with the Warning category and see if you can find out some more information, which hopefully will help you pinpoint the cause of the problem. Hope that helps you :)