Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Uses For Codex Scanner...

Flibbertigibbety

I know some people will HATE me for even bringing this up, but I LOVE using the codex scanner. I use it to collect plant resources on earth, check to see if enemies are facing away from me (and how many) so I can try to be stealthy. I love scanning enemies for the codex. The new addition to Simarius' Synthesis scanner to capture unique enemies added a fun little addition to the game, and I dig the entries once it's been completed.

I WANT MORE!

One of the features I found to be fun about Resident Evil: revelations was the scanning tool that you could use to scan enemies in a similar way... you could also use the scanner to find hidden items if you were close enough. Now... I KNOW that this is not Resident Evil... but we're already super close to having the same sorts of features in Warframe. I'd love it to be a step further and be able to find resources on different levels using the scanner... just like on earth. More than just flowers and pine cones. Actual resources would be awesome. Salvage, circuits, alloy plate, etc. Actually have them be the models of the items your collecting with the scanner instead of the little blue and yellow canisters that fall off enemies (I hate that idea, anyway. It's more fun to see the actual items). That would be fantastic.

Perhaps you could find rare items and blueprints... but make it so you had to be very close to the object to actually reveal it (and it's only revealed/collectable to a player that scans it). Players could even act as scouts to try and find these items for the rest of the team. Although it would be more controversial, you could even have single pickup items that are gone after a single pickup... so looting could be a competition. Just a thought.

Searching for medallions in syndicate missions has always been enjoyable for me, and I'd love to see something similar... but a little harder to find that just relying on your thief's wit/loot detector to see them on the map. Codex scanner would make it much more interactive and rewarding. I find it strange that resources that you could collect with the scanner were added to Earth, and that's it. I think DE could have really expanded upon that concept.

Sorry... I know this topic is sort of all over the place. I just wanted to throw out some idea that would be fun for gamers that love scanning and exploring. Perhaps some others can toss out some interesting ideas of their own. Who knows... maybe DE will like some of the ideas themselves and we'll see them mentioned on a future devstream!

I"d hate to lose the mod slot... but perhaps a scanner mod that you could equip on a gun that would serve the same purpose? Similar to the codex scanner, aiming would show scanable objects (even short range/hidden scans), but you can still shoot. It's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

OOOH... what about hidden story stuff? Hidden journal entries that you can collect in parts. Sort of like the results of the synthesis scans, but in individual sections that you have to scan to collect. You could read all of the journal entries you've found in the codex... and if you find all of them for a particular journal, maybe it will reveal a little additional background from Ordis or the Lotus. Completionists would LOVE that... and it's a good way to move the story forward.

I hate the codex scanner.

Please don't make me use it more.

Well, the idea of combining the scanner with your weapons to make it easier to use and not so out of the way might just make it worth while, no? Have a "scout" equip a codex scanner mod on their gun, and keep an eye out for rare finds... and he can mark the location and you can go and find it with your scanner. Sounds pretty fun to me!

more uses?

this topic try to give more options in survival:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/451433-survival-a-lone-tenno-and-simaris-a-way-to-lower-the-time-between-rotations/

resume: use the scanner to find some important targets that if you scan them, will help the Tenno Operative and reduce the time between rewards

I just reviewed that thread... really great idea to scan specific enemies to divulge information on hidden caches. Just another awesome use for scanners.

Joining the party:

- Allow scanner to scan Corpus/Grineer/Other signs found on in-game mission maps/tiles and displays the translation in your game language.

- Allow scanner to scan special room/tile-specific interface to gain codex entries on the rooms/tiles. (which might expose some weakness as I think some earlier tiles are designed without much purpose in mind other than being a play field) e.g. It could be interesting to know more about the intended purpose (lore-wise) of a particular tile designed by the level designer.

Joining the party:

- Allow scanner to scan Corpus/Grineer/Other signs found on in-game mission maps/tiles and displays the translation in your game language.

- Allow scanner to scan special room/tile-specific interface to gain codex entries on the rooms/tiles. (which might expose some weakness as I think some earlier tiles are designed without much purpose in mind other than being a play field) e.g. It could be interesting to know more about the intended purpose (lore-wise) of a particular tile designed by the level designer.

Hrm. It's an interesting idea... However it's done... after enough scans of a particular tile, it can give you some information about what each room is intended for... throw some lore into the environments themselves. Even as I type this, I like the idea more and more. Good call, Eagle, good call.

Perhaps you could have specific sections on each tile that can be scanned... each time you come across a tile, a different object will be scannable. After multiple scans, the codex compiles the function/history of that tile. Perhaps the whole "story" that's told is actually done in small segments... so each scan reveals a bit of the history, so you can read the updates between missions (as well as have it written out right there in the chat text for instant gratification). scan 20 individual objects on a particular tile (only one appears per tile), and you slowly work towards completing the codex entry. This is a fun idea.

I think you should post it in it's own thread.