Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Perhaps Now Is The Time To Remove Shotgun Drop Off

Metalbawkses

I've been here since the first day of open beta and I understand why DE decided to implement shotgun damage drop-off. But I feel like it's time for the damage drop-off to go. If I remember the time line correctly, the main reason is because back in the days, Hek and strun wraith were one of the most powerful weapons in the game and the limited arsenal back then made the most players choose shotguns instead of anything else. But now that DE has released so many new weapons, the shotguns are generally forgotten / ignored due to the damage drop-off disadvantage. My suggestion would be to remove damage drop-off but increase the spread on shotguns instead. That way we lose damage because the pellet didn't hit the enemy and not because our pellets somehow turned into wet cotton balls. Adding on, this will not break the balance of the game or make shotgun the best thing again, there's more then enough weapon diversity to give player a choice now.

Edit :  

TL;DR: Damage drop off because too few weapons back then, more guns now so damage drop off is not needed anymore.

Edited by Metalbawkses

i agree. shotguns look really cool boar prime, strun wraith are perfect examples, but i dont use them because they simply don't compete anymore.

Indeed, I too love a good shotgun during a mission and its honestly a bit disappointing how fast the shotgun loses their efficiency.

Edited by Metalbawkses

I could potentially be down for this. Depends on the spread added, really. If over done they could easily become just as bad at close range as they already are at long range, that's my only concern. It's extremely vital with slower shotguns to ensure that you hit the enemy with the bulk of your pellets in order to get that One-Hit-Kill, and such a change could ruin this even at close range.

Edited by Clovis15

I do believe that stretching out the fall off efficiency would probably be the best way. Either that or give them infinite range, but make them have quadratic inaccuracy over distance (where the pellets go hyper crazy after a certain point).

shotguns like the detron and the flak cannon have no falloff and they arent considered overpowered at all, its really not needed anymore.

Saying shotguns damage drop-off are fine because the one with bullet travels times don't have them isn't the right mentality. There's literally around 2 shotguns with bullet travel time, that doesn't make up the majority of shotguns. Secondly, pretending a problem doesn't exist by simply looking for exceptions within that category is missing the point. 

Saying shotguns damage drop-off are fine because the one with bullet travels times don't have them isn't the right mentality. There's literally around 2 shotguns with bullet travel time, that doesn't make up the majority of shotguns. Secondly, pretending a problem doesn't exist by simply looking for exceptions within that category is missing the point. 

You may want to reread Blaze200's post. He's saying that damage fall-off isn't needed, because the few shotguns in the game which don't have it aren't OP - so why would any other shotgun be?

Just make shotguns have ridic DPS, its dumb that rifles can out dmg shotguns even at close range

If we had shotguns with like 40-50k burst and 17-20k sustained we would have viable shotguns

Maybe they should get rid of fall off on most shotguns but I feel fall off can balance shotguns with super powerful dps

but make them have quadratic inaccuracy over distance (where the pellets go hyper crazy after a certain point).

no, just nope, that would create an enormous amount of issues, i'm not quite sure you do understand what quadratic inaccuracy means, you would first, have random curved trajectory for hitscan wich is bad for the game, second have bullets that at set range will do a 90* turn, couple that with starting spread and you may just manage to hit yourself, besides that would restore the kohm (and turn the drakgoon) into his old game crashing-gpu melting glory 

Really don't need it anymore I would like to see shotguns with their (mostly) low clip size be crowd control guns. Now i don't mean 1 shoting every enemy in the room but maube atleast procing them or just 1-10 shoting them or move close to concentrate the damage if you've ever played victor vran they have really nice shotgun mechanics either decent crowd damage or devastating single target damage.But they were a bit slow.

I love Shotguns.But except the Hek,all of them are a lot less effectiv than assaut rifle.Seriously my boltor prime with 1 forma was already much stronger than my Hek with 3 forma.

Btw ;i don't count Kohm or Phage like shotguns.They just use the same munition but that's all,nothing "shotgun" in them(and phage is one of the best weapon for sure)

I love Shotguns.But except the Hek,all of them are a lot less effectiv than assaut rifle.Seriously my boltor prime with 1 forma was already much stronger than my Hek with 3 forma.

Btw ;i don't count Kohm or Phage like shotguns.They just use the same munition but that's all,nothing "shotgun" in them(and phage is one of the best weapon for sure)

I agree, and I believe that the removal of damage fall-off won't make shotgun suddenly the most popular weapon choice simply because there are numerous alternative readily available for the player to choose from. this change will simply makes shotgun a viable choice.

Really don't need it anymore I would like to see shotguns with their (mostly) low clip size be crowd control guns. Now i don't mean 1 shoting every enemy in the room but maube atleast procing them or just 1-10 shoting them or move close to concentrate the damage if you've ever played victor vran they have really nice shotgun mechanics either decent crowd damage or devastating single target damage.But they were a bit slow.

The problems with shotgun right now are that they lack both the damage and the generally the CC control abilities (Sobek still struggle to proc with the augment mod). Shotguns in game generally have superior burst damage and longer downtime but currently the shotgun in warframe only have long downtimes. Removing the damage drop out won't give shotgun a sudden damage buff, it just makes spread something to think about. "Do I want a shorter range shotgun that hits harder or would I prefer a longer and more stable shotgun?" should be the mentality that player strive for instead of "I don't care about the spread, just give me more damage on my stats".

The spread should be enough of a penalty against ranged targets. Some may need their spread increased but I support this post. I want to use shotguns but the current game makes using them feel unrewarding.

I know how you feel, shotgun's reload speed tend to be inferior, and its always disappointing to pump 20 rounds of sobek into a crowd then getting shot by half of them while you're reloading because they're just 1 or 2 meter out of the effective range.

I'm all for removing damage fall off, but I don't think they need a bigger spread to compensate. At least not all of them. Detron, Brakk, Boar, Boar Prime, Khom, Strun have pretty wide spreads. The ones that don't are probably Tigris and Hek, but they're different kind of shotguns so it's okay :/. If it's not okay then go ahead and raise their spread but leave the others as they are.

Just make shotguns have ridic DPS, its dumb that rifles can out dmg shotguns even at close range

If we had shotguns with like 40-50k burst and 17-20k sustained we would have viable shotguns

Maybe they should get rid of fall off on most shotguns but I feel fall off can balance shotguns with super powerful dps

I'm sorry, what? A gun that outputs 10K can wipe the map up to level 40-50 units with zero problem, almost on a per-bullet basis. The "50K" mentality is the "Endless" mentality, which should only exist in Clicker Heroes, and not a coop shooter.

You basically instantly invalidate all content other then content that won't actually even exit unless you stay inside a single endless mission for over an hour, and by then, we use stupid tricks by just cycling abilities anyway.

The only reason people can use 50K damage is to ONLY make the interval between wave 1 and wave 50 go faster, so they can start the ability mash fest that is "higher level content" and start farming for multi core bundles and so on.

This broken mentality is what is causing all the damn problem with "balance", and you want it to be the norm?