Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guide: How To Limbo

Evanescent

Question

Contrary to what a lot of people think, Limbo is an awesome frame when played right.

Here is how to play him efficiently and have fun.

Role presented here is an offensive one. You can shoose to support your team by drawing aggro or providing cataclysm as a cover.

Two things you must never do:

1) Pop cataclysm with you inside it outside of defense missions or creating cover for allies. If youare in the bubble with     a craptton of enemies YOU. WILL. DIE.

HORRIBLY.

2)Troll. Unintentional banish is fine, it happens. Don't abuse it. Always inform your team that they can roll to get out of banish, and if you have the HAVEN augment installed.

Originally posted in another thread, but I thought I might post it here as well.

Referring to my build which is as follows:

AURA: Enemey Radar or Energy Siphon. Whichever fits your fancy.

1)Fleeting Expertise(streamline works as well!)

2)Narrow minded (max or equal/above rank 8)

3)Primed Continuity (max or equal/above rank 8) [use normal if you do not have! No problem :D]

4)Intensify (optional. If you don't want the rift surge jazz put a Quick Thinking or a CONSTITUTION here.)

5)Redirection (max or high rank preferred)

6)Vitality (max or high rank preferred)

7)Streamline(if you already replaced F.E in 1 with streamline, put in a utility or any mod/augment of your desire here.)

8) Primed Flow/Flow (If you decide to skip it-which I recommend you don't-put in a Quality of life mod such as Natural Talent  or Handspring or a Vigour for some added survivability)

[Note:You may choose to replace both redirection and vitality with flow+quickthinking, as it is a perfectly valid tactic. However if you are caught in the middle of a firefight with your health being buffered by quickthinking, you will be staggered at each instance of damage. And if your energy is zapped you will be left vulnerable. 

Recommended use: Use this only after gaining a good bit of experience with limbo and if you are confident enough to give yourself less slack to work with. But if you use the build given above you will notice that there is a fiar amount of open space in the build for options even after putting the essential mods. If your build allows, I recoomend leaving the health and shield mods in :)]

Credit to Sci-Ant for kindly reminding me of the tactic. You rock!

Note: May require upwards of three Formas, and Does require a reactor to be installed.

Build for max duration, min range. Put some efficiency like fleeting expertise in. Put some power strength. Don't skip flow/primed flow. Put quickthinking and vitality. I recommend Redirection too as if you start taking health damage you will in 9/10 cases be dead.

You must try to avoid taking damage at all costs.

Attack from a long to mid distance. YOU MUST NOT GET SURROUNDED.

Feel free to stay out of rift if you are sure your back is clear in case of long range battles.

TIps are below:

You can hack corpus consoles in the rift. For lockdowns, clean out the area before hacking.

Keep in mind that enemies in rift cannot damage you outside of it, and while in rift you cannot damage eemies outside of it. 

When popping cataclysm make sure cover is nearby. Go into rift, pop cataclysm over enemies and shoot from behind cover. Augment damage with rift surge.

If enemy number is below five or six use banish to quickly banish them all and kill them quickly. If more than that use the tactic stated above.

If cover is not nearby, try to use cataclysm in such a way that most of the enemies are cut off by the bubble. Quickly go out of rift and kill enemies and take care of the others as they come out of the bubble one by one.

Dodge, roll and try to avoid damage by being as mobile as possible.

When going against heavies go into rift and bait them into using their knockdown, THEN use banish.

You can rush dangerous enemies with staying in rift until you are ready to shoot and get out of the way.

When using weapons such as the Opticor (i.e with charge) charge in rift and come out an instant before releasing the shot.

Strong charge weapons work well for this reason.

Note that you can Banish enemies without interrupting or releasing Charge, reload, etc.

Always scout new rooms in rift so you aren't surrounded, surprised and killed.

Rush nullifiers with slide melee while in the rift. as  you enter the bubble the idiot will dispel you and you can slice him in two before recasting rift walk.

If Nullifier bubbles contain cluster of enemies, pop your cataclysm and weave in and out to take out the globe. Backflip is helpful in jumping in quickly. Shoot from the boundary until nullifier globe is down and kill nullies first. Use the other tactics to kill the rest.

When facing a horde of enemies, think-how can I divide them into easy chinks of enemies I can deal with safely?

Remember you don't have to be in the rift. You can send others to rift to divide their forces and take the remaining out.

Use Strong, one hit weapons with Limbo, or weapons that can quickly mow down crowds. Don't pair him with weak weapons.

Have a melee with lifestrike ready. If low on health banish and  do a channel finisher to regain all your health!

Use all of the above to rule from the rift!

Weapon Guide:

Please note that weapon choice has an enormous effect on Limbo's survivability. He is NOT a frame to rank your weapons with.

Personally I found Charge weapons to work well with him, specifically the Opticor if well modded.

As secondaries I chose the Akmagnus for the high status, modded for corrosive and blast to knockdown enemies.Again, Any high damage weapon will do. Preferably have one with high RoF(rate of fire) to take care of nullifier shields and mow down mobs. With a high RoF primary such as the Soma Prime use weapons like the Lex Prime, Vaykor/Normal Marelok, Detron, Brakk, etc.

As Melee I chose Dragon Nikana or the Galatine, but any hard hitting melee works. You need range, you need hitting powers and you need CROWD CONTROL COMBOS like those in

TEMPO ROYALE or DECISIVE JUDGEMENT. You may choose weapons like the tipedo for mobility hover, which is fine.

DISCLAIMER: Note that this is my personal playstyle that while effective for me may or may not work for you!

Cheers! 

You may disagree with the build, or deem any of the tactics above bad due to clashes in playstyle, which is perfectly fine. It and all its suggestions cater to my specific playstyle, which may or may not suit yours.

You may choose to modify the build any way you desire.

Edited by Evanescent

24 answers to this question

Fixed now, I hope!

@mishmashmarsh:

It is rather a question like this:

Why would you play Limbo when you could play with any other frame?

The Answer would be because he has his own kit that caters to his own playstyle which may or may not appeal to everyone! 

I hope that answered your question! :)

Edited by Evanescent

Nice guide man! I will only offer one suggestion, there is no need to use Vitality or Redirection if you have Flow/ Primed Flow and Quick Thinking. I turned my Limbo into an immortal god with this and long duration build since you can always depend on the QT + Flow for killing things and surviving in the normal mode and as soon as things get rough turn on rift walk and be untouchable and regen that energy for more effective health and take down enemies one by one. Also, no amount of HP or Shields are gonna help with Limbo since he is so squishy so why use up mod slots to increase those parameters, right? :)

I love using that trick of shooting from the outside of the bubble to the enemies inside cos they are focused on the pod and not you. :)

Nice guide man! I will only offer one suggestion, there is no need to use Vitality or Redirection if you have Flow/ Primed Flow and Quick Thinking. I turned my Limbo into an immortal god with this and long duration build since you can always depend on the QT + Flow for killing things and surviving in the normal mode and as soon as things get rough turn on rift walk and be untouchable and regen that energy for more effective health and take down enemies one by one. Also, no amount of HP or Shields are gonna help with Limbo since he is so squishy so why use up mod slots to increase those parameters, right? :)

I love using that trick of shooting from the outside of the bubble to the enemies inside cos they are focused on the pod and not you. :)

Hehe True. But it's good to have something to fall bck on if your, say, energy gets drained or you get magnetic procced. Quick-thinking is more of a last resort for me, because that stagger when damaged really irks me :/

But you are right as well! I included them because if players search up this thread they could be new to Limbo, in which case they will make mistakes, so it's good to have some slack. But I'll add it to OP.

Edit: Added suggestion to OP. Thanks man!

Edited by Evanescent

The problem with limbo is why would you want to banish an enemy with Limbo rather than just kill them with any other frame?

Because at higher levels unless you have 4 CPs the enemies become a real pain, and units such as the heavy gunners and bombards if not delt with can and will kill you before you know they are there, banishing them can give the team time to clear the fodder around them then they can all focus on the one target.

Also another thing people forget to/ don't understand about is not only does increasing power strength, any team mate that is banished or that sits in cataclysm also gains increased energy regen.

Hehe True. But it's good to have something to fall bck on if your, say, energy gets drained or you get magnetic procced. Quick-thinking is more of a last resort for me, because that stagger when damaged really irks me :/

But you are right as well! I included them because if players search up this thread they could be new to Limbo, in which case they will make mistakes, so it's good to have some slack. But I'll add it to OP.

Edit: Added suggestion to OP. Thanks man!

Thank you too for adding my name to your guide. :) Glad I could help. Btw, my build took 3 forma and has 3 points left over after that. :)

Because at higher levels unless you have 4 CPs the enemies become a real pain, and units such as the heavy gunners and bombards if not delt with can and will kill you before you know they are there, banishing them can give the team time to clear the fodder around them then they can all focus on the one target.

Also another thing people forget to/ don't understand about is not only does increasing power strength, any team mate that is banished or that sits in cataclysm also gains increased energy regen.

What? Where is it written that energy regens faster with more power strength. In my experience that has never happened. 

Well i agree with limbo that he has lots of problems, i puted him on the tier 4 list whichs is make alot of sense that he need lots of fix that will make him even more useful and not bad at all like i pretty much allmost not touching him at all but if you like troll players this is gonna be a good choise for banashing players to make them rage or rage quit but in general avoid it , and  keep him  that hopes they will fix him in the future

Roy out.

Edited by (PS4)Raiden_Roy22

Great build, this will really help me understand Limbo :)

I have a few questions for you:

-How do you mod your Dragon Nikana?

-I want my Limbo to look as classy as possible so I'm using weapons that fit his theme: Vasto Prime

http://warframe-builder.com/Secondary_Weapons/Builder/Vasto_prime/t_30_22232033_193-1-5-195-5-5-204-0-10-206-2-5-207-4-10-209-6-5-362-3-5-487-7-10_204-7-193-6-206-6-362-6-207-7-195-11-209-6-487-8/en/3-0-65/41317/0

and Sybaris

http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Sybaris/t_30_22220330_131-7-5-132-1-5-133-5-5-137-0-10-140-4-5-141-6-5-150-2-10-159-3-5_137-7-132-8-150-8-159-5-140-9-133-6-141-6-131-11/en/2-0-48/32282/0

What do you think. Are they strong enough for Limbo playstyle?

Thanks!

What do you think. Are they strong enough for Limbo playstyle?

Thanks!

For a single target playstyle where you are permanently in Rift Walk and Banish a target and kill them one at a time, it is great to use those weapons and those max damage builds. For a playstyle which involves defensive long duration Cataclysm for Void defense and such, I highly suggest you use a long duration Rift Walk and stay outside of the Cataclysm bubble and shoot inwards while being in Rift walk since enemies wont be targeting you and only the pod. For this I suggest using AOE weapons or multiple target weapons like Amprex and Atomos, my two personal favorites. You will own the defense and never go down and on top of that you can use Primed Flow and Quick Thinking to be even more immortal.

What about Rift Torrent augment? Is it good? Worth using?

Also, should i protect the Defense missions objectives with Cataclysm or rather place it somwhere else and kill of enemies

Rift Torrent may be good if you use AOE or multiple target weapons and shoot from outside the cataclysm to the enemies inside it who will be attacking the pod and not you, like I described above. It may be even more useful for max range cataclysm rift world builds where you just put a huge cataclysm over all the enemies and mow them down, or for Infested Defense since there will always be a lot of enemies in the cata bubble.

In my opinion Limbo works best when in Rift walk and shooting at enemies inside the cata placed over the defense objective. 

If I can also add one thing,In a Defense mission I think many Limbo players forget Cat is not Snow Globe, you can't shoot out of it also if you Cat a mob your team mates can't help you and kill them. If your going to use Cat in Defense missions make sure it small so it just envelopes the pod.

If I can also add one thing,In a Defense mission I think many Limbo players forget Cat is not Snow Globe, you can't shoot out of it also if you Cat a mob your team mates can't help you and kill them. If your going to use Cat in Defense missions make sure it small so it just envelopes the pod.

That makes no sense since the cataclysm has a starting and ending radius, and when it ends it is much smaller than when it starts. So in no way is it possible to have a small Cata that will still cover only the pod when it begins, even if it covers the pod when it ends. To make it small you need super short duration so it ends itself fast, but that makes it effectively useless. Secondly Volt's shields can allow you to shoot outside the cata when placed inside it and all Warframe abilities work from inside the rift to the outside.

The only solution other than volt and powers is to fight outside the cata or ask your Limbo to banish the entire team and shoot inwards at any enemy that walks into the cata.

Thank you so much for those advices, I hope to become a better Limbo now.

Glad it helped! 

OMG finally another Limbo who uses Narrow Minded, instead of using Overextended + Stretch to cover the entire damn level in Cataclysm and then wondering why they die so much and why their teammates all hate their guts.

Personally I also think Natural Talent is a must.

I quite like the Torid on Limbo. Go into rift, litter the ground of a high traffic area with gas clouds, then cast Cataclysm onto it. Creates a little dome of gaseous death.

Also notable that Syndicate effects ignore rift.

OMG finally another Limbo who uses Narrow Minded, instead of using Overextended + Stretch to cover the entire damn level in Cataclysm and then wondering why they die so much and why their teammates all hate their guts.

Personally I also think Natural Talent is a must.

I quite like the Torid on Limbo. Go into rift, litter the ground of a high traffic area with gas clouds, then cast Cataclysm onto it. Creates a little dome of gaseous death.

Also notable that Syndicate effects ignore rift.

Interesting tactic and thanks for the info about syndicate effects, didn't know that. :D 

That makes no sense since the cataclysm has a starting and ending radius, and when it ends it is much smaller than when it starts. So in no way is it possible to have a small Cata that will still cover only the pod when it begins, even if it covers the pod when it ends. To make it small you need super short duration so it ends itself fast, but that makes it effectively useless. Secondly Volt's shields can allow you to shoot outside the cata when placed inside it and all Warframe abilities work from inside the rift to the outside.

Actually, this is not the case. Each pod has its own "origin point" that, if inside the Cataclysm, will render the entire pod invulnerable. In my experience, all Defense/Mobile Defense objectives can be defended by a minimum-range Cataclysm except for the large cylinder in the Grineer-only cavernous Defense map, as the origin point is in the center of the entire thing.

You can see this in action by watching the "Rifted" graphical effect on the pod while it's partially covered by the Cataclysm. It takes some practice to learn the exact position of each origin point, but if you just watch closely as the Cataclysm bubble is shrinking to see when the graphical effect goes away, you can determine where the origin point is and place the Cataclysm right on top of it from then on out.

I'll second the Torid comment. It's an extremely good weapon for Limbo, I have mine built for Blast element/status chance with Firestorm for larger clouds, and I can usually keep a Defense objective completely safe when combining two clouds with a minimum-range Cataclysm. On top of that, given its lasting-effect nature, you can fire it once outside of the Rift and then go right back in to be invincible while steal doling out damage and status effects. It's particularly helpful against Nullifiers, as you need only place a single cloud on the ground in their path, and their shield will die... As will they, most of the time.

Actually, this is not the case. Each pod has its own "origin point" that, if inside the Cataclysm, will render the entire pod invulnerable. In my experience, all Defense/Mobile Defense objectives can be defended by a minimum-range Cataclysm except for the large cylinder in the Grineer-only cavernous Defense map, as the origin point is in the center of the entire thing.

You can see this in action by watching the "Rifted" graphical effect on the pod while it's partially covered by the Cataclysm. It takes some practice to learn the exact position of each origin point, but if you just watch closely as the Cataclysm bubble is shrinking to see when the graphical effect goes away, you can determine where the origin point is and place the Cataclysm right on top of it from then on out.

I see what you mean, and I've seen it in action my self albeit not as well as you have. In my experience the bubble has always become too small when it starts out small, but you may be right since it does always end right on the objective. An interesting tactic, but imho the team needs the cover too and when you reach a higher level, such a tactic just may become ineffective.

In that case it's just better and easier to use a Frost since he can cast many globes wherever he wants. :/

Edited by Sci_Ant