Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shadowframe [Warframe Short Story]

Avarcaness

"Unseen, unheard, not a whisper, not a word."

I silently and swiftly drop from the rafters onto the back of an unsuspecting Grineer Lancer. He never knew what hit him. His death was swift. He lets out a slight groan of pain, loud enough for a nearby Lancer to investigate. I slide into the shadows silently, and as the oblivious Grineer lumbers past, I slip out behind him. A short dagger enters his rib cage, another piercing his cranium, instantly scrambling his brains. A painless death. I pull his body aside, making sure it's well hidden before continuing. I slip under a crack in a malfunctioning bay door, and my figure is briefly illuminated by the blood red light of an escaping spark. A Grineer standing guard nearby utters one cry before he's pinned to the wall, an arrow in his throat. But as I move on, I hear voices nearby, and a Heavy Gunner slowly ambles by with several Grineer troopers in tow.

Quick as a fox, I slip aside and pin myself behind a pile of crates, obscuring my body from view. Risking a glance, I stick my head out from behind the crate. Several bullets ping off the metal and I instantly get back into cover. As an automated voice blares over the speakers, I roll out of cover and notch an arrow. I let it fly, and it finds its mark. One down. 3 left.

"Lockdown activated."

I sprint towards the group as bullets fly past me. I launch myself into the air, kicking a Trooper in the head and sending him sprawling. A land, pull out my knife, and silence another. I turn to finish the downed Trooper, but the Heavy Gunner slams the floor and releases a shock wave, knocking me off my feet. Rolling onto my back in time to avoid being impaled by an energy rod, I kick the Heavy square in the chest, and get to my feet. I dispatch the trooper as he tries to get up. Sliding into cover, I hear another message, but this one inside my helmet rather than over the ship speakers.

"Corpus walkers ahead."

I turn and find myself face to face with an energy staff, aimed for my head. I duck and jump towards the enemy, tackling them in mid-air. We roll onto the floor, and I kick him into a reactor pit to my side. His scream pierces the air as he tumbles down the abyss. He is silenced as all his molecules are fried, instantly vaporizing him. I turn to see more Corpus running down the hallway, apparently on a raiding run. I can't let them get in my way. The reactor core is my target.

My old friend the Heavy Gunner grunts something and barrels towards me, revving up his Gorgon. As he starts rapidly releasing his rounds, I roll to one side, notching an arrow as I go. I peek out from cover and release my arrow, hitting him in the abdomen and causing him to stumble. Several energy pulses fly past me, and I turn to face the Corpus, who are now engaged in an all-out brawl with a group of Grineer infantry. 

Using the moment of confusion to my advantage, I vanish.

The Gunner drops, his blood painting the floor. I drop from a catwalk into the Reactor room. The Reactor Core slides open, revealing row upon row of energy capsules, filled with high energy plasma. I smash one. I smash another. It is easy, and perhaps a little satisfying. But I have a job to do. With sounds of the raging battle filling the background, I set to work, smashing each energy capsule. Soon the floor is soaked with the remains of plasma. I hear guns going off, grenades exploding. The battle is catching up. I shoot the last capsule. Everything goes dark.

"Darkness is my ally."

Nobody sees me. I slice open a vent and sidle through, silently. Emerging on the other end, I jump to a catwalk and peer over the edge. A group of Grineer amble past, guns at the ready. The ship has been alerted. Several energy pulses rebound through the vents, scorching the walls as they go. The Corpus are catching up.

Over the heads of the Grineer, I jump and land on a support beam. I crouch and walk across it, jumping down and landing silently on the floor when I see a door. I stride through.

Unfortunately, somebody was already waiting for me.

"You cannot hide from your past."

The lights flicker, emitting sparks that sizzle on the cold metal floor. I sprint for the exit door.

I'm not fast enough. A figure, almost like a shadow, materializes in front of me, lunging with a sword. I crouch and roll under his legs turning as I go. Sliding on the floor, sparks shooting up behind me, I stand to face my attacker.

The Stalker.

I've heard of Him. I never expected to fight Him. He runs at me. I nimbly jump over His shoulders and run up the wall behind Him, grabbing hold of a ledge. Lotus speaks in my helmet, relaying information to me. I hoist myself up onto the catwalk and run for extraction. The lights flicker, and I know He's right behind me.

I see the extraction pod waiting for me.

"When you need to jump, you jump."

I leap, grab hold of a zip cord, and shoot at full speed towards extraction.

His screams pierce the air behind me. He lost. But he'll be back.

The Stalker will always be back.

Edited by Avarcaness

Hah.

A worthless attempt at a comeback.

YOu are forgotten Stalker.

I am your successor.

-Erebus

(Out of character: Awesome work man!)

May I ask; who is Erebus? I searched it on google and I found a thread on Steam Community relating to a stealth/support warframe by the name of Erebus.

I like your writing, by the way.

May I ask; who is Erebus? I searched it on google and I found a thread on Steam Community relating to a stealth/support warframe by the name of Erebus.

I like your writing, by the way.

What?!

Someone has taken the name of the Erebus and put it into a Tenno?!

This is un-acceptable!

-Erebus

(Erebus is the successor to the stalker. He is also a central character for my short story series.)

What?!

Someone has taken the name of the Erebus and put it into a Tenno?!

This is un-acceptable!

-Erebus

(Erebus is the successor to the stalker. He is also a central character for my short story series.)

The successor? What do you mean by that? Did he train you? Did you defeat him and take his stuff?

WOW, I want more stories, you two are great! and that's cool (the idea of a stalker successor) I want to see him ingame :)

Thanks. I thought about this thread being loosely based on the idea of my Stealth Warframe. Hence this quote:

"Darkness is my ally."

it would be cool if you wrote a story where your stealth frame and the stalker were bros or friends or something in the past.

"You cannot escape your past."

I like it. But I'd have to change up this story a little, because I mentioned that I've never met the Stalker.

The successor? What do you mean by that? Did he train you? Did you defeat him and take his stuff?

Hmph. Defeating the Stalker would've been a waste of time.

No.

I created him. To gather intel on you Tenno.

Patience tenno.

I have returned.

Hmph. Defeating the Stalker would've been a waste of time.

No.

I created him. To gather intel on you Tenno.

Patience tenno.

I have returned.

You will nev- *Transmission disrupted* Hello... "Erebus." What is this, a challenge? You aren't the only new one around here. Be prepared. Be viligant. Because I'll be ready to strike at any moment.