Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Suggestion) Endless Exploration

Vyeth

So I have this idea. We already have endless defense, that is set on one map usually 1 set of rooms with infinite waves and that is fine. But I have also got lost in exploration during certain missions which begged me to wonder, "This ship is massive, why can I not explore further?"

Thus, the Endless Exploration idea was born..

Basically it's like this:

*There are "floors" or "levels" that are travelled to by a larger elevator.

*Progressively the lower the level you travel to, the tougher the enemies.

*The only way to travel to other floors is to find the security key. This can be randomly tucked away inside a randomly spawned mob or even in a locker or container.

*On every 5 levels, there could be a control panel that gives you access to the lotus and the ability to "end" the mission which COULD require the player to travel to a new waypoint and find the dropship pickup.

*Of course every floor is randomly generated as is the case now, HOWEVER you can set it so that the lower the level the larger the floor map, making the levels below the 20th level massive!

*You could throw a mini boss or two in there randomly to keep things interesting.

The idea is reminiscent of the old Rogue games, where you descend down into a dungeon.

These ships are HUGE (I can tell by the size of the drop ship in comparison during the cutscene), this would make absolute sense..

The "idea" behind exploration would be to find lost artifacts (mods) that are said to be lost among the ship..

Please consider..

Very interesting and not something anyone can rush unless they have the weapons to maintain damage throughout the floors. Lower levels would have difficulty of course as you descend like Endless Defense, that's natural for Endless missions. However, how long would it take the DE to make something that could possibly take a lot of coding to make? They only manage the Endless Defense because of the map being the same every time, but you're stepping it up to making it constantly map changing level.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea... but the requirements might go a little extreme.

That definitely is a cool idea. Going off of what Yanga said though, the coding might be a bit much to implement something like that in game so early in development. I'd love to see this in game but I doubt it would be able to happen any time soon. Maybe once the game gets out of BETA

The way I see it's implementaion would be to have a loading screen during the transitions to lower levels.. And play an opening cinematic similar to the one we have now with the vent, but show a face shot of the frame descending down the elevator shaft.

The load would be consistant with the one that you see when starting a new mission. So it could unload the previous randomized set and load up another just like switching missions without the planet select screen. During this initial load, the key could be tucked away in sort of an "exterminate" style flag where it pops up after a random number of enemies are killed OR it could be randomly tucked away in the contents of a locker in the same way credits, ammo and materials are done..

EDIT: This would also allow the use of different scene setups on the same ship, say like a scenario where the grineer have sealed off a level of the ship due to the Technocyte plague and every enemy on that level could be infested, but may resume Grineer or the following level..

Edited by Vyeth

I'd say that should work well for private games.  not so much for public (where exactly is the point that you can no longer join?  How does resetting the joinable condition work?  how would the lag look like with HUGE levels? Just to name a few)

(perhaps can be implemented as a training simulator in the upcoming dojo or something so games can be reasonably to be expected to be private)

the idea itself is good, but there will be a large amount of rough corners to get around with.

Edited by Stupid_Idiot

Very interesting and not something anyone can rush unless they have the weapons to maintain damage throughout the floors. Lower levels would have difficulty of course as you descend like Endless Defense, that's natural for Endless missions. However, how long would it take the DE to make something that could possibly take a lot of coding to make? They only manage the Endless Defense because of the map being the same every time, but you're stepping it up to making it constantly map changing level.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea... but the requirements might go a little extreme.

Arent levels randomly generated anyway?? Its matter of loading screen on every elevator and bit of coding ofc.

There are a lot of things that could be borrowed from Diablo like that, they do however require the game to be dramatically improved. One of the ones I would love to see borrowed is the 'minibosses'. Basically just creatures that are regular mobs, only a little bigger, much tougher and with a special ability and/or resistance and minions of their own. They could be injected randomly into maps. Really though they would be like most of the current bosses, and the current bosses should be much more complicated fights.

All of that would require an improved loot system (and much more interesting and diverse loot). Currently, killing a level 100 Ancient has a very similar loot drop to a level 2 trash mob.

This could be the new hit for resource farming, leaving mods more focused to defense modes.

I'd start by making the current existing ones a bit more unique (extermination, rescue, deception, etc), right now people only do Assassination / Mobile Defense / Defense (due to their benefits). Otherwise just going randomly through the same environment is something that already exists, this "endless exploration" would just be a shortcut to start a new mission & farm faster.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a more "open map" type of concept. Some Final Fantasy games have ~50 floors towers with similar environment, all it needs is shorter (to avoid big loading times, some maps are already huge enough for this) randomly generated maps & one-way elevator to exit at bottom (start point).

I could kind of see it if each floor is its own self contained level, with no ability to travel between them.

Like, you hit the elevator button, then it goes to a loading screen where your next map is generated.

Something like that.

It'd be hella cool, but probably still a lot of work.

I feel like it needs to give one key per player, and that at least half of the players need to unlock the elvator console before progressing, like extraction, so that a rush can't just grab the key and force everyone down, while an afk troll can't lock everyone on the first floor.

i can most likely see in the near future were the level cap is raised to 50 and when they have put in more planets that there will be a super carrier you will have to do multiple objectives in order to get ot the boss room once hes defeated its a quick exit to the evac zone otherwise you will be caugh in the destruction of the supper-carrier