Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stand, Tenno

Evanescent

Look at them as they come.

The rain glistens on their armor, their eyes light the falling rain in halos of malevolence. Their guns roar, drowning the thrum of the rain. Each bullet smashes into you, makes you stumble, makes you bleed.

You fell them by the hundreds, by the thousands. But for every one you kill, more arrive.

You look at your hand. The rain washes your blood away. it clings to your Warframe.

You are weary. Your rifle clicks empty. 

You crouch, taking cover, and draw your sidearm.

They come in hordes. Endless, like the rain. Lusting for blood. Your blood.

The rain falls ceaselessly. Another of you falls.

Death is in the air, death caresses your spine in chill shivers.

You close your eyes. This numb feeling, this dread....

Is this fear?

You look at the people you fight for. Simple people who lead simple lives, caught in the violence. Their eyes are bloodshot, pupils dilated. They feel fear. They huddle against each other. You see tears glisten on their grimy faces. The flashes of gunfire light them up like minuscule diamonds. They shiver, soaked to their skin.

Or is it the rain?

You breathe deeply. Your ears ring. Blink. Your eyelids close and open again. Blink.

The wall shudders under your back as you take cover under it. They are coming. The Lotus is silent. Your comms are dead. There is only you, and your allies to stand between them.

They are coming, and you are alone.

Your frozen years weigh down on you. Pain throbs through your veins. You remember vague feelings you lost along the way as the cold and the void claimed your mind. You remember small things, things you had forgotten. You look at the civilians again as they huddle. They must have families, that woman clutching her baby must have a man waiting for her, waiting to hold his child close again.

Did you have someone like that?

The rain is ceaseless. It dissolves in the smoke rising from the destroyed building. You look around at the caved in roof, the demolished walls. You see hints of a stair, you see suggestions of rooms. You see blood, you see a hand here, buried below the rubble. You see bullet holes in the walls. You see walls scorched by fire.

And over it all the rain drapes its grey veil.

They hordes are coming. They cry out their chopped, guttural cries. They think they have won. They have taken the city. The relay has fallen. Now they come for the Tenno, and those to be their slaves.

They come for that babe, blue in the cool rain. They come for her mother, weeping in stifled sobs. 

They come for you.

You gulp the filtered air through you helmet.

They come for you.

You wonder if this is your time. The rime over your heart thaws a little. You wonder how many of them you have felled. How many heads you have taken. 

You wonder how much of your life you lost in the icy sleep, and the white hellspace.

Do you regret?

Do you feel?

Are you Tenno, or are you human?

Your sidearm is empty. The suit offers no comfort from the chill of the rain.

It is cold. So cold.

it is so cold again.

A sudden shock throws you to your back. Dust clouds the air. You try to grab the floor and your fingers slip. You hear screams. The people are screaming. Searing heat rolls towards you.

The void sings.

The heat is cut off suddenly, and chunks of rubble smash against the shell of ice as it forms around you. The air grows chill and your breath frosts over. The people shiver, shying away from the edges of the globe.

Bullets rail against its surface, and already cracks are appearing. It won't hold.

Not like this.

You blink. The rain is ceaseless. You see trails of red as their madmen descend to flush you from your shelter. Their laughter makes your head hurt, your mind ache. You put a hand on your blade.

Decide quickly. The cracks widen and spread on the globe.

Decide.

Decide quickly.

You look at the people. Their eyes are on you now. Their fear is forgotten. Now they hold on only to desperate, ebbing hope. Hope for a victory you know you cannot give them. You, Tenno, with all your power cannot defeat the ones that now come for you. You hear familiar clicks. Empty guns. Your allies throw them away. Their heads turn. 

You see familiar silhouettes. They have fought beside you for so long. They wield Fire. They wield Ice. They wield the thunder from the sky. The rain glistens on their bodies, slides of their frames. They know what to do. 

You close your eyes.

It is your time.

You give the signal.

Crack. The globe shatters.

The void sings.

Light. You wield light.

Draw. Draw your blade, master.

Show them your radiance.

The energy surges through the suit's matrices, searing pain and excruciating joy in your veins. You draw on it like never before.

If not, here, where?

If not now, when?

Draw, master.

Draw your blade.

The light blossoms over the battlefield from your blade, and the guns are cut short. They are screaming, shielding themselves from the light. It shines through the rain, bleeds into their eyes. It burns them.

You channel more.

Let them know fear.

They retreat as you hold the tides back. You feel fire, ice and thunder course around your blade as they leave.

A parting gift.

Their last tribute to you.

And then they are gone.

You let the light fade.

They take a moment to see you, standing there, alone.

Their prey is gone. Their rage wells up. Now they fall upon you.

You laugh as they come, and dance in their ranks. Your blade cuts them, makes them bleed, ends them. From foe to foe you dash, cleaving them. Blinding them. Impaling them with your fury. Every strike bears the weight of your frozen years. And every one you fell you look in the eye. They are wide, degenerate pupils dilated. They are afraid.

Even the madmen know fear at your hands.

Bullets rip into you. You bleed.

But so do they. So much more than you.

Look at them as they come. Their guns roar, drowning out the rain. Their bullets bite into you, their claws open gashes in your limbs. After centuries of life death has come for you at last.

At last you feel the warmth in your body thaw the limbs that have stayed frozen for so long.

Death has come for you.

But look. Is it not glorious?

Is it not kind?

It is your time. But do not let death take you kneeling, Master.

Swing, swing your blade. Hold your ground.

Stand. Stand Master.

Stand and fight.

And when death is come for you at last, go into its cool embrace laughing.

For you go fighting, knowing no fear.

For you go, as Tenno. 

~Evanescent,

6/25/15

Edited by Evanescent

I think this one would be too long, but would you like to enter the writing contest with something different? There are prizes!

Hmm..writing contest? I didn't know anything about it. I'd definitely like to try if there is one! Not for the prize but for the challenge.

Limit is 1500, so this would be good.

Yay!

*Reading Evanescent's "Stand, Tenno" fanfic in the Fan Zone forum*

NOOOOOO!!!!! MY PLATINUM! He's gonna take all the prizes! omgnoesplz.gif?1

onionfailplz.gif?1

Come on now, I'm not that good :/

You have the same if not better chance of winning as I.

But I appreciate the feeling! Many thanks! :D

Come on now, I'm not that good :/

You have the same if not better chance of winning as I.

But I appreciate the feeling! Many thanks! :D

You are good.

I didn't enter because it wouldn't be fair. I write 3k words a day at the bare minimum and usually strive for 10-12k. I read fast and I write fast.

ALL of you have a chance. Get to it. Show us what you can do!

Edited by Kalenath

You are good.

I didn't enter because it wouldn't be fair. I write 3k words a day at the bare minimum and usually strive for 10-12k. I read fast and I write fast.

Wait, it's unfair that you write fast? I don't follow you, Kalenath.

And this is a forum-wide contest, not specifically to newcoming writers. I wouldn't mind seeing what you have to bring to the table in terms of short stories, considering you've been writing your series for so long. Go out your comfort zone for a bit, you know?

Edited by FiveHours

You are good.

I would say give it a shot! It's good practice for keeping things short, I usually am the type to write in the thousands too, but writing short stories can improve you ability to trim the fat in your writing. Which is something I feel I need sometimes.