Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr Thread

Enchillado

Greetings, community.

First of all I want to say that I've seen other Zephyr threads, don't blame me for creating another, because she's definitely cries for a rework with her really weak non-synergic but fun providing kit. And I will be the one who tries to give the easiest solution with minimal changes.

To Zephyr lovers: please make sure you understand that the game will never have another air based warframe, because this concept is obviously taken, and while you admit that, just imagine how much potential was wasted with these abilities. You will not see anything except that.

To conservative people: you'd better take Excal 2.0 into account before judging anything. You know how much people were nagging about upcoming update as about something bad. And how much of them really enjoyed this great rework. Remember that you're only watching letters here, you can imagine stuff differently than how DE can make this.

Please speak up on the topic, and be sure to say if you want any changes at all, it's important.

50px-ZephyrTailWind.png

Tail Wind

At first we should get rid of "If Zephyr is on the ground when cast" part, for sake of adding the entire mechanic to a second skill. Because second skill does nothing when attempting to cast on the ground. This will be more responsive and more logical.

Now, Tail Wind itself remains as a "propelling around" ability, which has this slight mouse interaction - you can choose the direction by the crosshair. What I'd suggest is to slow down the base velocity of this ability and give it permanent mouse tracking, so you can glide and make your way around the corner, for example. I don't know how hard it would be to make this ability its own turn rate so you can't abuse mouse sensitivity to make impossible moves. With this I also suggest power strength to increase the speed of this ability, while power duration affects duration exactly (which is again more responsible and understandable).

A little gravity interaction would also be welcomed: increasing height with this ability will slow it down, while nosedive gives it more speed.

At the outcome we'll have something different from the Rhino's Charge and Slash Dash. Variativity means good if it does not harm technique and concept. Obviously, glide won't harm the concept. Technically, it supposed to be more enjoyable, more responsive and usable. Also, more parkour 2.0 friendly.

The problem might occur on the damage table, but Tail Wind already does literally no damage, so it'll at least feel like that. Though impact with knockdown would be more logical here, despite we already have it. Let's focus more on technique anyways.

50px-ZephyrDiveBomb.png

Dive Bomb / Launch

I guess it should be renamed with other changes, because as you remember, we moved the half of a Tail Wind here. DE could make it so Zephyr has 5 abilities with 2nd situationally switching, so it would be something like Launch or Dive Bomb. This doesn't matter actually.

I would skip this one if only it had no bugs. Instead of dealing maximum amount of damage to an enemy that got direct hit by Zephyr's Dive Bomb, they ignore it. Fix this please. We could also play around with radius of effect, damage type and ragdoll/knockback mechanics. I'm going to leave a hint behind it: Blast damage can fit Lauch, because it is release and spread of a hot gases, as I understand this "elemental" type.

By the way, there is an augment called "Dive Bomb Vortex", whose mechanic is contradictory. But if enemies were pulled into a launch point instead... You know what I mean. *winks*

50px-ZephyrTurbulence.png

Turbulence

Turbulence is a great, but boring ability. It does a lot for the survivability and sometimes even helps teammates.

What I want to offer is to make the effective radius of this ability to be constantly changing depending on a few conditions: increasing if Zephyr is on the move (using her current speed as coefficient), slightly decreasing over idle time and separately if she is under attack. It goes in pair with her concept, where the main word is mobility.

I don't want everybody to throw stones at me, but still, going to offer this turbulence a frontal half-bubble pattern instead of a full bubble. We have something similar on the Odonata (Energy Shell), but we'll have our peripheral defense, because it's not flat shield, it's a half-bubble. As we would like this ability to not become completely adapted for the static defenses and require more sophisticated approach to be interesting.

At the outcome it has possible situation where this ability almost lost its effect, forcing you to have some stroll, but sometimes it gives huge wall of redirection, which could be used to defend objectives temporarily.

I'd offer the opportunity of recasting the ability and power range to affect minimal, initial and maximum possible radius. With that initial radius you can recast the ability if you're kinda screwed on the ingame situation.

50px-ZephyrTornado.png

Tornado

I don't want to be harsh, but I'd say this ability is completely non-responsive. While other parts of a skill set is going to be fully controllable and relying on player's skill, we going to come up with something completely different from what it is now.

Just one toggleable tornado. A big one.

Currently we have pretty interesting mechanic with an ability to change the damage type of the tornado. If you go on this way and remove it from this ability, please, return it in another warframe's ability kit. It is really good mechanic, just don't really fit here in any way. As I like to see it somewhere else, I want it to be removed here. I think people will agree that this mechanic is awesome, but unnecessary just here.

In conclusion of the tornado I want to offer something really big and revision worthy. Let Zephyr create this tornado around herself and control it as if it's piloted - from the inside. If she was airborne while casting, she fixes her vertical position in the tornado as the skill activates and begins to slowly control position of the tornado with direction keys while floating inside. Attempting to perform any other actions (jump, roll, crouch, shoot etc.) or reaching the ground / top of the tornado will result leaving the tornado. Tornado then will follow Zephyr slowly, but the speed increases with the distance between both. Zephyr cannot return to a direct control of the tornado.

While Zephyr controls tornado from the inside, she takes less damage from any sources and able to activate her abilities to have more benefit from them.
    1) Tail Wind works as usual, but slower. Zephyr will not leave the tornado, which means tornado will move at the higher speed during the use of this ability. It will be used by players to reposition this CC area as fast as possible and sometimes to raise/lower Zephyr position inside the tornado. Zephyr might leave the tornado using this ability by reaching ground / top of the tornado.
    2) Launch / Dive Bomb works as a Dive Bomb here, because Zephyr is airborne. This is a fast way to leave the tornado and reach the ground.
    3) Turbulence works as usual, but while Zephyr is in the tornado it is always at its maximum effective range.

tumblr_m6ley21Woa1r640yyo1_500.gif

Thanks for reading, Tenno. I hope I'll see your feedback around this topic. Keep in mind that it mostly focused on a mechanics rework, so you might put here your suggestions about buffing Zephyr's CC and damage output.

Enchillado

Edited by Enchillado

This is really nice. Thing with divebomb when 1st skill works differently on ground and in air, and 2nd skill doesnt work on ground was discussed a lot and still NO ONE gives a single damn about. Tornados were discussed, many agreed that they are useless and NO ONE thinks about changing it. Don't even get me started about that nonsense when you fly up in the air to divebomb guys below but instead your butt is being teleported to the ground BECAUSE YOU REACHED A MAP CEILING ON A FLYING WARFRAME.

DE have forced Zephyr to rely on 1st and 2nd skill most of the time because it's the main source for damage among her abilities... AND IT DOESNT WORK! You can't use it! 1st skill is usable only in air and is horribly inconvenient to use by its own (I use it only to get fast somewhere or to fly up high). 2nd skill is just a joke, it glitches, it needs high altitude WHICH YOU CAN NEVER GET, it passes through enemies without dealing any damage, it is useless. 3d skill is self explanatory, it works, it helps, but in this topic we can see that it can be done better. 4th skill actually does something (not like 2nd) but is rarely used seriously and gives you no fun whatsoever. This guy up here has an idea to make EVERY SKILL USEFULL, you would really want to use it everywhere and you WILL be getting fun. What's wrong with making awkward and unneeded warframe actually usefull and interesting to use? NOTHING. So do it! JUST DO IT!

shia.png

Edited by User_Anonymus

This is absolutely beautiful. Im very protective over this frame in particular, and these suggested changes so far are my personal favorites. They are indeed quite minimal, yet add more spice to her theme in a gorgeous way.

The Lee approves whole heartedly.

I support all of these suggestions, but there's one thing I would like to clear up regarding Turbulence.

Despite what the wiki says, from what I can tell, Turbulence has an infinite effective range. Turbulence was changed to have an infinite effective range in U16.8.3 for the sake of equalizing its effectiveness between hitscan and projectile weapons. I'm not even sure if the outer radius and accuracy reduction mechanic exists anymore. I would update the wiki with this information if I actually knew how the new mechanics worked.

If you have any doubts, put a max rank Narrow Minded on your Zephyr and solo an exterminate mission on Ceres. You'll see what I mean.

Edited by 4G3NT_0R4NG3

I support all of these suggestions, but there's one thing I would like to clear up regarding Turbulence.

Despite what the wiki says, from what I can tell, Turbulence has an infinite effective range. Turbulence was changed to have an infinite effective range in U16.8.3 for the sake of equalizing its effectiveness between hitscan and projectile weapons. I'm not even sure if the outer radius and accuracy reduction mechanic exists anymore. I would update the wiki with this information if I actually knew how the new mechanics worked.

If you have any doubts, put a max rank Narrow Minded on your Zephyr and solo an exterminate mission on Ceres. You'll see what I mean.

Thank you for raising the interesting question. I guess I've made mistake calling it "effective radius" so it leads to some misunderstandings, because as it happens Turbulence had two radiuses, and one of them (hitscan redirection) can be called "effective range". I've actually meant an area where shots will be redirected, so its size affects your ability to cover teammates and stuff.

Honestly, I've lost tracking of this mechanic long ago, and you've helped me with this issue. I remember this as one bubble that redirects both hitscan and travelling projectiles, but I was wrong. Speaking about grineer hitscan which I've tested just now, it still works on the accuracy. Some of their shots occasionally bypass the turbulence and hit you.

UPD: To make sure I've tried to absorb hitscan shots in the same conditions with the same enemies and it seems that power range affects their accuracy, but there is no bubble whatsoever, currently you can't protect anything but yourself.
Edited by Enchillado

I notice a bit of a difference using stretch + max overextended and Turbulence (especially with the inner shield).  I've also seen some weird behavior such as it sometimes seems like some attacks ignore it if they are not aimed at you such as the Moa beam, and others not so much.  Might just be me not seeing stuff right too though.  Turbulence also deflects some really odd stuff too like the electric beam from those annoying infested munchkins.

I've also seen a bit of randomness regarding bombard rockets too where sometimes Turbulence sends them way off course and other times it's like the ability isnt even being used.

Still, great skill.  Wouldn't want to change it ever.  I find it's more useful for mobility than tailwind when using Jet Stream, especially with weapons like Dread or the Opticor

Edited by Clowee

Yeah, that's another issue. I don't even know whether it can be solved.

Besides, there isn't only maps, where you teleport out, but also maps outdoors, where you hit invisible ceiling. I really like how we have both this mechanics, but 1st is obviously more stupid and annoying.

I notice a bit of a difference using stretch + max overextended and Turbulence (especially with the inner shield).  I've also seen some weird behavior such as it sometimes seems like some attacks ignore it if they are not aimed at you such as the Moa beam, and others not so much.  Might just be me not seeing stuff right too though.  Turbulence also deflects some really odd stuff too like the electric beam from those annoying infested munchkins.

I've also seen a bit of randomness regarding bombard rockets too where sometimes Turbulence sends them way off course and other times it's like the ability isnt even being used.

Still, great skill.  Wouldn't want to change it ever.  I find it's more useful for mobility than tailwind when using Jet Stream, especially with weapons like Dread or the Opticor

My suggestion is to make it more skill relying than just "PRESS 3 TO GOD MODE AND DROOL ON YOUR KEYBOARD", so Zephyr won't deflect projectiles from behind. Also to change its pattern to a half-bubble shield that deflects anything that aimed into this invisible shield, so it will defend someone or something else. So if you're skilled player you should like it too, because I didn't offered any replacements on that, just some refinement and utility. We all know that turbulence is overpowered and useless for your team in the same time, but it remains as it is just because Zephyr is weak.

Besides, there isn't only maps, where you teleport out, but also maps outdoors, where you hit invisible ceiling. I really like how we have both this mechanics, but 1st is obviously more stupid and annoying.

So basically it's about level design, and DE should fix it manually. I mean, put invisible walls at the every room. That's why this is more complicated, it requires rough way.

My suggestion is to make it more skill relying than just "PRESS 3 TO GOD MODE AND DROOL ON YOUR KEYBOARD", so Zephyr won't deflect projectiles from behind. Also to change its pattern to a half-bubble shield that deflects anything that aimed into this invisible shield, so it will defend someone or something else. So if you're skilled player you should like it too, because I didn't offered any replacements on that, just some refinement and utility. We all know that turbulence is overpowered and useless for your team in the same time, but it remains as it is just because Zephyr is weak.

You must be fighting extremely easy enemies to make this rather trollish assessment.  This makes me think that you "want" to play Zephyr, but don't really main Zephyr because of the common perceptions of it being weak.

Point 1:  Turbulence is way far off from any kind of god mode ability.  It's also far off from being overpowered compared to the other stopping/shield abilities of other frames such as Frost, Vauben and Limbo.  It's very very well balanced IMO right now as it has things it excels at, and things it does not do so well.

Medium level (High T2-Moderate T3) HItscan will still get through on enemies even with enormous range mods.  The ability is also useless vs melee, which is a good trade-off compared to the frost bubble which will slow them or vauben ring which will outright stop them.  Beam (Moa) attacks will also penetrate when used at a close enough range or if you let them beat on the shield long enough. 

Most interesting is that the weapons Turbulence excels against are often the least dangerous but most common, such as corrupted lancer rifles / crewman shotguns.  If you were fighting 1000 corrupted lancers, it would be essentially god mode (unless you get naded or meleed).  I don't think that most frames would have much problems dealing with this situation though.

My experience from many many games iis that I have the exact same survivability running a full armored Valk with 50% reflex guard/lifestrike and NOT using hysteria as I do running Zeyphr (same reflex guard) with Turbulence.  Does this mean that setup is overpowered as well?  You also need to look at the bigger picture in that all of the area shield / nullifying abilities have pros and cons, including turbulence.  Limbo is great until stuff gets inside the rift.  Frost is great until the shield dies.  Vauben will ice the entire horde, but doesnt shield from damage.  Zephyr is great vs some monsters and useless vs others.  This is fair and balanced.  Let's also not forget that the ability is more useful as a speed boost than shield vs Infested, and is very far from god mode unless you want to bring Volt into the overpowered argument.

Point 2:  Turbulence is indeed quite helpful for your group if you use it in the manner you originally described in your original post.

I don't quite understand how you can describe wanting the ability to be a "wall of redirection" when it already has this feature if you just position yourself correctly.  I can easily shut down an entire attack path in a Void defense by putting myself in between the approaching wave and the cyropod.  I can also pre-shield for the frost bubble which greatly extends it's durability by not allowing dumb projectiles to deplete it's health which makes for a nice defensive synergy.

I'll try and put myself about 10m in front of the group between them and the oncoming horde to bounce away all of the projectiles and draw the attention of the hitscan enemies, and then withdraw when i've taken enough damage (through Turbulence) to regenerate shieds.  If I see the pod or objective taking damage, I'll run, copter or tailwind myself inbetween the monsters and the pod in the same way and focus on the stuff that's in melee range while the other projectiles bounce.  Unless there's a massive horde right up on the objective, i'm pretty confident I can save the day with my wall of redirection.

Secondly, you mention turbulence should be ill suited to static defense.  This is already the case.  Turbulence works better moving and offers an aug with 40% speed as incentive to do so.  Humor me and show me how overpowered turbulence is as a static defense in ODD/ODS, or even a 20 wave T3 Void Defense.  You'll die because you get overrun by rockets and damage resistant buffed melee.  I once had the perception of "Oh! I can be Frost and just bubble" but I've quickly learned that this is not as effective as moving around to intercept projectiles and kite melee.  If you want to be a REAL saint, you can move around the very edge of the frost bubble where you are needed and stop all of the stupid stuff from depleting it's health so that when the rockets or high level hitscan comes out the Frost isnt wasting all of his time rebubbling.

It's also a great revive tool because you can tailwind to the corpse, revive with Turbulence up, and then either escort the revived tenno away with the 40% extra speed / deflection or just tailwind back to wherever you were originally without missing a beat.

So I dunno... You've got some great ideas regarding the other skills for sure, but I have to wonder after that post if you REALLY Zephyr or if you just Zephyr on weekends.

Wow, that's a huge post.

First of all, I will never have so-called "main" frame. Even though I can name some favorites or lean on some old dudes like Volt just in case of nostalgy, there is still no "main". I'm playing on average basis and rely on what is needed... Zephyr is never needed. And this is sad.

You've mentioned some really interesting stuff about positioning yourself between a threat and the vulnerable friendly objects... Well, it sounds like a good advertising of Zephyr for me, if only I didn't pass through this experience playing her. It does not work that way constantly. You could drag attention of every single threatening enemy once, but you can't call her teamwork friendly with this as the only argument. The area of Turbulence shield affects only physical projectiles. Hitscan is redirected only if it was addressed to you.

There is some warframes that really meant to be teamwork friendly, she's simple could be more of another role. But this doesn't mean that she must be completely isolated from her team in terms of interacting. I'm not defending my variant of Turbulence at all, rather trying to point out that it should have it's own changes.

I wasn't "trollish" or something, I honestly want this ability to be more interactive and welcoming to a multiple ways of playing around it. It is very easy to keep distance from any melee threats while dodging everything ranged, that's why I called it god mode. There is almost no need in positioning yourself to have maximum benefit from this ability, and agressive tanky positioning that you've offered doesn't always work properly.

I can see some cons in what I've offered for a turbulence, maybe we'll have some more ideas on that case. And I'm not saying that this ability can't be left like this, just want people to understand me at first. You were the only one here saying that Turbulence shouldn't be changed, but you've also made a good point of it. Still, I'd suggest you to think about something that can improve this ability, even if it can make harder to use it in some cases. Just give it some variativity.

I'm not sure what accounts for the difference in experience other than possibly build.  I tend to run max possible movement speed either either +90 to +135% range.  One thing I may have forgot also is you an achieve the mobile barrier by sliding and attacking with something like the Orthos Prime with primed reach.  The huge range and no limit on the enemies hit means you can hit like 18 or more of them if they are stacked up right while blocking all the projectiles in the way, then just speed back for the good ole hit and run.  It's pretty nifty at +95% speed.

I'de really really like to see zephyr get an aoe buff strip like the Stalker has to add to the group friendliness.  The recent Ancient Corrupter buff has pretty much made Dive bomb useless in Void missions (yet other frames abilities hit just fine through it).

Edited by Clowee

I'm not sure what accounts for the difference in experience other than possibly build.  I tend to run max possible movement speed either either +90 to +135% range.  One thing I may have forgot also is you an achieve the mobile barrier by sliding and attacking with something like the Orthos Prime with primed reach.  The huge range and no limit on the enemies hit means you can hit like 18 or more of them if they are stacked up right while blocking all the projectiles in the way, then just speed back for the good ole hit and run.  It's pretty nifty at +95% speed.

I'de really really like to see zephyr get an aoe buff strip like the Stalker has to add to the group friendliness.  The recent Ancient Corrupter buff has pretty much made Dive bomb useless in Void missions (yet other frames abilities hit just fine through it).

As one nice guy had already mentioned it, there is something more that makes Dive Bomb less effective - respawning from the top of the room. Some rooms even have ceiling, but it still works that way. I'd still insist to give that ability some minor CC.

So basically it's about level design, and DE should fix it manually. I mean, put invisible walls at the every room. That's why this is more complicated, it requires rough way.

They should have thought about everything in the first place. If you do an air-based warframe, whose main source of damage with abilities should be flying up high and dropping down - you HAVE TO think through all conditions, that already crafted environment creates for this abilities. DE has shown that they, apparently, forgot about Zephyr or didn't really care in the first place. Evidence for this is undeniable and it is extremely frustrating as I would really love to play on air-based warframe, but there is literally NO REASON to pick Zephyr in any type of missions for usefullness and in a certain tilesets for enjoyment. 

Rework, suggested in this thread, makes Zephyr less altitude-dependant because of 1st and 2nd skills changes (which is, sadly, a good thing, because current variety of maps can only rarely provide Zephyr enough space to maneuver and use divebomb at its maximum effectiveness) and besides that changes her other two skills to be more usefull and interconnectable. My point is, if DE can't handle map mechanics then they shouldn't have given Zephyr altitude depending abilities, but as they have already did they should listen to community more often and reboot her ASAP.

Edited by User_Anonymus

They should have thought about everything in the first place. If you do an air-based warframe, whose main source of damage with abilities should be flying up high and dropping down - you HAVE TO think through all conditions, that already crafted environment creates for this abilities. DE has shown that they, apparently, forgot about Zephyr or didn't really care in the first place. Evidence for this is undeniable and it is extremely frustrating as I would really love to play on air-based warframe, but there is literally NO REASON to pick Zephyr in any type of missions for usefullness and in a certain tilesets for enjoyment. 

Rework, suggested in this thread, makes Zephyr less altitude-dependant because of 1st and 2nd skills changes (which is, sadly, a good thing, because current variety of maps can only rarely provide Zephyr enough space to maneuver and use divebomb at its maximum effectiveness) and besides that changes her other two skills to be more usefull and interconnectable. My point is, if DE can't handle map mechanics then they shouldn't have given Zephyr altitude depending abilities, but as they have already did they should listen to community more often and reboot her ASAP.

Yeah, with parkour 2.0 I would rather call it obligatory improvement of an environment rather than Zephyr's individual reboot. We really need to do something with that dead areas above our heads, Tenno.

So if we are getting new parkour system, Zephyr should get reworked just not to became more useless. Like seriously, one of all warframes oriented on smooth movement, and it's so bad I play flappy zephyr instead of actually Zephyr. 
And god damn those teleporting invisible ceilings, always quit game after touching them.

So if we are getting new parkour system, Zephyr should get reworked just not to became more useless. Like seriously, one of all warframes oriented on smooth movement, and it's so bad I play flappy zephyr instead of actually Zephyr. 

Parkour 2.0 will actually be a massive buff to Zephyr. Since the movement system won't allow you to cover ground as quickly as before, high mobility frames will become more valuable. Not only that, but Zephyr's low gravity has been shown to stack with aim gliding, allowing this:

http://gfycat.com/ColdHastyCicada

http://gfycat.com/SpicyPlasticAcouchi

Parkour 2.0 will actually be a massive buff to Zephyr. Since the movement system won't allow you to cover ground as quickly as before, high mobility frames will become more valuable. Not only that, but Zephyr's low gravity has been shown to stack with aim gliding, allowing this:

Though there is still no info about further efficiency of the good ol' stupid coptering. The value of warframes with innate high mobility only depends on how far the melee coptering will be pushed to the background. Will it be completely destroyed? Who knows. Though Zephyr still going to be pretty useless in any means of output. She has literally no output, if rework requests will be ignored.

Edited by Enchillado

Though there is still no info about further efficiency of the good ol' stupid coptering. The value of warframes with innate high mobility only depends on how far the melee coptering will be pushed to the background. Will it be completely destroyed? Who knows. Though Zephyr still going to be pretty useless in any means of output. She has literally no output, if rework requests will be ignored.

The devs actually showed post-nerf coptering in one of the devstreams, and it appears that it will send you less than 1/10th of the pre-nerf distance. Directional air melee is getting a similar nerf as well.

Also, define "output", and how Zephyr lacks it. I'm not quite sure what you mean, due to Zephyr's extreme tankiness, top tier mobility, excellent CC, and decent damage output.

Edited by 4G3NT_0R4NG3

You do realize that Z isn't a damage frame....right? tanking and CC(somewhat unreliable albeit) and mobility, is her gig. if nothing else, she is a vehicle to get the weapons damage to the target, she's a transport craft, she's a stand in front of the bullets while your buddy revives the downed player. so building for damage output at this time as her kit isn't centered around doing damage is looney bin grade nonsense. were the suggested changes from the OP to take place then I'd agree with you.

As it is presently? naw. besides i really never had any issues with any move in her kit. like, at all, but the suggested changes are good in nature so I'm for them.

source: prolly more use of zephyr than you :p

By output I meant everything that affects battlefield, including CC, which is not excellent, unfortunately. We already have existing examples of a perfect CC frames, too bad I have no time to give good comparisons and examples, sorry guys.

If only her 1st had some minor knockback while 2nd had more range and strong stun/ragdoll. Think about how awesome could be tornado if you can disable it at any minute and know where it goes... I mean, I know you guys already reviewed the entire opening post, and I appreciate it, but I just want remind you that these changes will also touch her so-called output in a good way. Currently, it isn't enough, maybe it's just me.

That's pretty impressive, thanks for showing that. But it also seems there is no such need in her so-called mobility like it is now, if you get what I mean.it can be hard because im speaking like 7-old on english