Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Let Sentinel Weapons Use The Same Mods As Our Normal Weapons

SullyTheStalker

As the title says.  I can understand blocking this feature to give players something extra to strive for in upgrading their companions, but it tends to make more problems in the UI for players who are trying to use similar load-outs between these types of weapons.  It also adds more grind, which is something this game has plenty of right now.

- Sully The Stalker

Are the sentinel weapons really even that powerful enough to warrant the conflicting mod mechanic?

And yes, I'd like this to be gone. I just don't even mod my sent weapons because of this. I don't keep multiples of mods, it bothers me.

The damage is actually substantial so modding them out is worth it. And even if the damage was lackluster, having a blast proc trigger on an enemy without you needing to do anything is always welcome.

Sign me up as another person who wants this gone. At the very least add an indicator for when a mod is in use on a sentinel. It is super frustrating that the only way to check if a mod is in use it to exit the mod screen and see if you get an error.

Or...just change weaps as everyone does...

Want to use a shotty? Use a rifle in your sent. Want to use a rifle? Use a shotgun in your sent. Everyone knows Prime Laser Rifle and Prime Sweeper are the best sent guns.

The only troubling one would be if you wish to use Burst Laser since it uses Pistol mods but that gun is lame beyond words and the Deconstructor can only be used by Helios so its pointless to even talk about it.

I just keep a duplicate set. >D

Or...just change weaps as everyone does...

Want to use a shotty? Use a rifle in your sent. Want to use a rifle? Use a shotgun in your sent. Everyone knows Prime Laser Rifle and Prime Sweeper are the best sent guns.

The only troubling one would be if you wish to use Burst Laser since it uses Pistol mods but that gun is lame beyond words and the Deconstructor can only be used by Helios so its pointless to even talk about it.

That's what I use to do in my first 500 hours, then I had too many credits and cores.

The damage is actually substantial so modding them out is worth it. And even if the damage was lackluster, having a blast proc trigger on an enemy without you needing to do anything is always welcome.

Sign me up as another person who wants this gone. At the very least add an indicator for when a mod is in use on a sentinel. It is super frustrating that the only way to check if a mod is in use it to exit the mod screen and see if you get an error.

This. So very much this.

Good thing to know I wasn't the only one that hated that conflicting mod mechanic. IMO, added nothing to the game but a second layer of very much unneeded grind.

Originally there was no conflicting mod mechanic on sentinels. Then players complained about how it didn't make sense, since a mod couldn't be in two places at once, and suddenly we have this crap. :(

Originally there was no conflicting mod mechanic on sentinels. Then players complained about how it didn't make sense, since a mod couldn't be in two places at once, and suddenly we have this crap. :(

It truly makes no sense though having 1 single mod affect 2 separate weapons at the same time.

Besides, as I already said, you could just alternate weaps between frame and sent.

It truly makes no sense though having 1 single mod affect 2 separate weapons at the same time.

Besides, as I already said, you could just alternate weaps between frame and sent.

It makes no sense to have mobs like nullifiers and ancient healers spawn frequently, yet that still happens.  And besides, having to switch between these sorts of weapons would still limit our loadout options.  Why can't I use a fully equipped Hek with my Sweeper?  Because of the infuriating mess of my hair on the floor that would come from trying to figure out which mods are on which weapon.

I like my hair right where it is right now, thank you very much.

P.S. - It's on my head.

Yes, it makes no sense, but frankly, I think gameplay has to take primacy over logic.

I don't understand the argument that you can't have a mod in two places at once.  Says who, exactly?  Even if, from some tenuous standpoint, one asserts that mods are material objects that you can't simply "plug in" to more than one weapon at a time, that argument actually has no relevance in regard to what makes for good or enjoyable game design, which is really what one should think about when looking at the arsenal and mod systems.

If Sentinel weapons must require their own individual mods, then please mark an icon on any mod currently being used by my Sentinel's weapon (and if I'm looking at the Sentinel's weapon loadout, mark any mods currently being used by my weapons), so that I immediately know if a mod is already being used or not, and I don't have to find out by trying (and failing) to drag it into a slot.

Preferably, do away with this contrived system altogether.  It's an inconvenient barrier that serves no real purpose, to my knowledge.

Edited by Dell_the_Engie

It makes no sense to have mobs like nullifiers and ancient healers spawn frequently, yet that still happens.  And besides, having to switch between these sorts of weapons would still limit our loadout options.  Why can't I use a fully equipped Hek with my Sweeper?  Because of the infuriating mess of my hair on the floor that would come from trying to figure out which mods are on which weapon.

I like my hair right where it is right now, thank you very much.

P.S. - It's on my head.

Why doesn't it make sense for Nullers or Healers to spawn as they do? Balance wise it might make little sense but lore wise, why cant there be that many Nullers in one place? Why cant there be a bunch of Ancient Healers in a Derelict that has been full of the Infested for thousand of years? Why cant there be a million Bombards if they are clones?

As for limiting loadout options: You can use your Hek and Sweeper. It just takes more work. That's your choice. Farm for two sets or switch weapons around.

I could say the same for having to use Forma or Potatoes for maxing my gear. I either buy potatoes or wait until they drop normally and stick with my crappy gear in the mean time. This is worse actually. This hinders my progression.

I don't understand the argument that you can't have a mod in two places at once.  Says who, exactly?  Even if, from some tenuous standpoint, one asserts that mods are material objects that you can't simply "plug in" to more than one weapon at a time, that argument actually has no relevance in regard to what makes for good or enjoyable game design, which is really what one should think about when looking at the arsenal and mod systems.

If Sentinel weapons must require their own individual mods, then please mark an icon on any mod currently being used by my Sentinel's weapon (and if I'm looking at the Sentinel's weapon loadout, mark any mods currently being used by my weapons), so that I immediately know if a mod is already being used or not, and I don't have to find out by trying (and failing) to drag it into a slot.

Preferably, do away with this contrived system altogether.  It's an inconvenient barrier that serves no real purpose, to my knowledge.

Says DE apparently since they went ahead and made you unable of using the same mod twice at the same time. Hell you cant use a Primed variant of the same mod along side its regular variant.

I agree that it would be better to let you know before hand which mods you are currently using so that you can plan accordingly though.

Sentinel weapons do use the same mods as "normal" weapons.

He means that we require doubles of our regular mods, one for guns and one for sentinel weapons. OP wants us to be able to use a single mod on both a gun and on a sentinel weapon. And I agree with him because this double mod thing is just arbitrary busywork.

Edited by SSNeoman

He means that we require doubles of our regular mods, one for guns and one for sentinel weapons. OP wants us to be able to use a single mod on both a gun and on a sentinel weapon. And I agree with him because this double mod thing is just arbitrary busywork.

Would you rather have to farm separate Sentinel weapon mods? Cause I'd prefer simply switching my weaps around.

Nope.  I've gotten in this discussion before and I'll use the same example.

You have a scope.

You can put it on your sentinel weapon or you can put it on your own weapon.

This is why my sweeper is a beast.  I formaed the doggie doo out of it and it kills everything.  When I want to use a shotgun, I'll put a rifle on my sentinel (with maxed mods) or equip a puppy.

Edited by DVIKVM

Says DE apparently since they went ahead and made you unable of using the same mod twice at the same time. Hell you cant use a Primed variant of the same mod along side its regular variant.

I agree that it would be better to let you know before hand which mods you are currently using so that you can plan accordingly though.

I walked right into that one, didn't I?  Yes, apparently says DE, and if anybody has the final word, it's them; but why do they say so?  For what reason do they not allow you to share mods between yourself and your Sentinel?  It's not obvious to me.  I scoured the Update & Build Notes forum for anything about this, and the only thing I could find was a complaint from a player about this change, following the release of Update 10.  As far as I could tell, there was no mention of this change in any of DE's notes, nor a response from their staff, so unfortunately, I can't tell you what their reason is.  I can only tell you that this system has been around since as early as September of 2013, and that Update 10 added the option to switch Sentinel weapons; before this, they were tied with their respective Sentinels.  Perhaps it had something to do with this?  I can only speculate.

What I do know, is that preventing players from stacking normal and Primed mods has nothing to do with sharing mods between yourself and your Sentinel.  That's a non sequitur.  In one instance, you cannot apply two of the same mod (or two mods treated as the same) to a single frame or weapon; in the other instance, you cannot apply one copy of a mod to both your own weapon, and your Sentinel's weapon.  These rules are not related, and the reasons for them are going to be different.

Looking at this from the perspective of a game designer, we can examine these two different rules. Treating normal mods and their Primed versions as the same have many apparent implications.  It restricts a player from stacking the mods, which means that the additional benefit of a Primed mod is the only difference between itself and the normal version.  This also prevents stat modifications outside of certain boundaries.  Presumably, this is to maintain some balance, and to keep things fun and fair for everyone.  On the other hand, restricting a player from using the same copy of a mod on both their own weapon and their Sentinel's weapon achieves, what?  What am I trying to do with this?  How is this restriction benefiting my game or my players?  It doesn't balance anything, or solve any problems.  This is an inconvenience for my players, so what utility justifies it?

Edited by Dell_the_Engie