Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Camping -- How To Get Players To Stop Being Cub Scouts And Go Be Space Ninjas

Fifield

DE have been racking their brains for probably several man-years (sorry Rebecca) how to best do this.  What follows are two options:

Option 1

Players camp because they don't have to move.  In order to camp, teams are dependant on farming life support drops*.  To restrict camping, restrict the life support drops.

Option 2

Change the reward design in Survival from time-based to location-based.  Instead of staying in one spot for hours, minibosses in different areas of the Orokin Ship will drop the Prime parts.

* See next comment re: Loki

Edited by Fifield

Both options will encourage turtling, similar to the 3rd stage of the raid ie under Frost's SnowGlobe.  Option 1 encourages it less, allowing around 20 mins of camping -- which is more like having a 'last stand' a la dozens of zombie films.  Option 2 will not allow 20 mins of a 'last stand' but will require 3-4 mins of turtling between minibosses beyond level 40 or so.

Implementation of option 1

After 40mins, the life support drop rate should fall 2% a minute.  After 60 mins, you're getting only 40% of the drops so you better be leaving.

You can still make a last stand but only up to 60 mins.  In a prior survey of players on this forum, everyone said they prefer 40 min missions.

It may be necessary to buff Lotus' capsules to make this change less onerous on non-campers.

*Usual counter to this suggestion is that Loki can go trigger Lotus' capsules.  However, this deprives the ability of the team to disarm Bombards and ~1/4 of the dps.
Invisibility needs a nerf anyway.  I suggest DE implement the above suggestion and if Loki perpetuates camping, nerf invisibility.

Implementation of option 2

Initially, the mini bosses would be eximus units, which get accompanies by bombards and nullifiers on later levels.  Lotus would inform the players every 5 mins that a valuable target has been identified and a waypoint would appear on the map.  For sake of player sanity, it should be no more than 5 rooms away.

To avoid the rage threads, compensate the vastly increased difficulty by removing Forma from the C rotation.  Nekros will also need a buff as camping is basically his main role now.

---

My only other suggestion to nerf camping is a nullifier that can teleport himself and everyone under his shield LOL.

Edited by Fifield
Removed provoking comment

People should stop whining about "camping" because "camping" is a "problem" invented by ill intended gestapo gameplay wannabes, who think they can tell others how to play, the real problem started when DE believed them there was a problem. 

DE designed missions in which you have to literally defend a static spot and then people complain that other players are using the most effective ways to complete these missions within the designed systems DE gave to the players, I've never seen a "community" as judgmental, self-righteous and selfish as this one (not everyone off course, you know who you are)

The problem is not "camping" the problem is people imposing their way on thinking of others. 

I don't even "camp" but when i meet a random group of people with a plan that works i respect them and try to cooperate, because this is supposed to be a Co-op game not a Diva competition.

If DE really wants to stop "camping" they should stop adding abilities like Peacemaker to the game, but hey... when i join a pub and there is a mesa i just play along, and if i can't take it anymore i leave and try my luck with the next group.

Edited by Orbister

Honestly, who gives a rats ! if you want to camp / run around / jump like crazy? Just have fun with whatever it is you have fun with.

The people who don't like camping. Go into the recruiting chat, invite someone, find out he's a camper, say you'd rather play the game, get yelled at.

The people who don't like camping. Go into the recruiting chat, invite someone, find out he's a camper, say you'd rather play the game, get yelled at.

If you are judging others and saying that you would rather play the game because you think your way is the right way, then you have a problem, and on top of that you complain and "create" a problem for everyone else, just don't create problems out of thin air and we will all be fine.

In recruit channel you can discuss the strategy before even go to the mission btw... do it, save yourself the trouble and us.

And again i don't even camp, my main is an Oberon, but dude, nobody here has a license to judge how others play.

You get yelled at because you are telling others that they are playing it the wrong way and you claim to know the only right way, which is just your opinion.

Edited by Orbister

What's the difference?

Why not just make a hard limit of 60 minutes? Then they don't have to make some overly complicated scheme to fool people that there isn't an actual hard limit. And if you're going to do that, why not just make missions have a hard limit of 20 minutes? And get rid of extraction points at 5/10/15 minutes... And then they can get rid of endless drop tables and do something like the normal missions in which you get one single reward at the end. :)

People should stop whining about "camping" because "camping" is a "problem" invented by ill intended gestapo gameplay wannabes, who think they can tell others how to play, the real problem started when DE believed them there was a problem. 

DE designed missions in which you have to literally defend a static spot and then people complain that other players are using the most effective ways to complete these missions within the designed systems DE gave to the players, I've never seen a "community" as judgmental, self-righteous and selfish as this one (not everyone off course, you know who you are)

The problem is not "camping" the problem is people imposing their way of thinking of others. 

I don't even "camp" but when i meet a random group of people with a plan that works i respect them and try to cooperate, because this is supposed to be a Co-op game not a Diva competition.

If DE really wants to stop "camping" they should stop adding abilities like Peacemaker to the game, but hey... when i join a pub and there is a mesa i just play along, and if i can't take it anymore i leave and try my luck with the next group.

This here is a more reasonable person. Be more like him/her. They understand they have free will to make choices in their life and that diversity doesn't mean: "Diversity is good, but the things I don't like aren't diverse. They're bad and should be removed from existence."

So me, a player who can run void survival for more than an hour with out camping with decent players if I want can't now?

I find camping boring, people always ask me your if i'm going to 60+ am I camping? I say no there's no need to camp and spam cc for god knows how long. Just group up and move with each other past 40. And getting to 60 with out camping is easy. After 60 It's cc, disarm and my nova's AMD cause the enemy armor and buffs are so huge. I enjoy to run Nova all the time, never get tired of her.

So me, a player who can run void survival for more than an hour with out camping with decent players if I want can't now?

I find camping boring, people always ask me your if i'm going to 60+ am I camping? I say no there's no need to camp and spam cc for god knows how long. Just group up and move with each other past 40. And getting to 60 with out camping is easy. After 60 It's cc, disarm and my nova's AMD cause the enemy armor and buffs are so huge. I enjoy to run Nova all the time, never get tired of her.

I think reading between the lines it's implied that the OP doesn't have the skill to get past 60 minutes playing normally so he wants to limit everyone to 60 minutes. :)

Good question.  If you're not camping, you can presumably activate capsules.  There might actually be a case for buffing capsules too.

I'd love to hear your strategy anyway.

Camping is cooperation

Don't like it? Go Solo by yourself

You can recruit ppl and say "no camping"

I find many non camping ppl to play with

What's the problem?

Also

Nerf Life module drops>No need to kill>Just run around activate LS capsules>invisible/blind frame

The purpose of LS module drops is to force player to kill stuffs not just running around.

Edited by Volinus7

Honestly, who gives a rats ! if you want to camp / run around / jump like crazy? Just have fun with whatever it is you have fun with.

Yes, to that. I have yet to encounter group that camps but does not enjoy it... I often end up in groups in fact who specifically just want to run around rather than camp and I am okay with that also.

Really, this is about limiting choices and styles of gameplay which I am staunchly against. Don't tell me how to play or what is the right way. Too much of this going on IN THE FORUMS. Obviously the people who are playing do not feel this way, because they are full up in recruiting with people who want to camp, farm, loot, etc. - ALL THE THINGS FORUM WHINERS WANT TO NERF AWAY.

But there is already a solution that works for everyone - you can choose who you want to play with and the style of play before a mission even starts. In Public, you don't have much of a choice but 99% of the time, since its a random group, you don't find farming and camping - which is a PLANNED ACTIVITY. On the other hand, I don't know about you but when I sign up for public games (about 90% of the missions I play) I don't have any expectations - just go with the flow. I'm not going to FORCE them - people I don't even know - to play my way, whine and b***h about it, and then run crying to the forum to get DE to make everything my way!

You have a perfect right to play the way you want - until you start trying to force other people to play that way too - and then yes, you will get cussed out. Better to just go and form the teams you want to form and leave other people to do what they want. That also makes room for more people to play, and its always good to have more people (especially for DE's bottom line) Doncha think? There is nothing wrong with farming, camping, last stands, etc. Its just a way to do things other people besides you like to do it.

An Loki's invisibility doesn't need a nerf. Just because he is effective doesn't mean he needs to be nerfed. It's getting real tired, people asking to nerf everything that WORKS. Remember - Loki lovers wanted RHINO NERFED for the same reasons... "I cant play with LOkI, cuz Rhino is to skrong... please nerf Rhino so Loki can get better..." made no sense? No it didn't bu that was the cry that got Rhino nerfed, now his Iron Skin is more like paper bag skin, Loki is the new Rhino, and people are whining about Loki because they want some other frame to be the "best" now. Instead of asking for that frame to get buffed - they want Loki to get nerfed which is repeating the same stupidity all over again. Loki does't need a nerf, he is fine where he is. (And his invisibility isn't all that invisible anyway).

make your own party instead of throwing a tantrum fit for a queen. ez solution get your own key then start useing the recruiting tab type exactly this 

HOSTING T4 SURV (NO CAMPERS)

and ull find the over exited twerk on everything crew and youll have more fun twerking for you forma blueprint with the type of people u enjoy to be with. i enjoy camping i know most people dont agree but i see no camping i leave party there is no need to take it here 

kindly stop wasting forum space lol

Edited by (PS4)OniCaster

I like this idea. To make it a little more unique other than just reduce droprates over time to compensate for the 2% increase droprate but put lifesupport drops on a 5 second timer before dissapearing. SO if you wait around you are going to start getting screwed.

BTW to anyone who supports camping.

The way you play the game isn't the way the DE wants you to play the game, so your wrong. If the DE hates camping then camping is wrong and should be fixed. That is all their is. So instead of saying This is a free game, Anyone can play the way they want and you shouldn't dictate that!" Well the DE doesn't want you to play like the way you want to so sorry but we can. <3

The way you play the game isn't the way the DE wants you to play the game, so your wrong. If the DE hates camping then camping is wrong and should be fixed. 

Actions speak louder than words, and since DE has made their game in a way where camping is the most effective way to play in lots of situations, I'd say that they don't care what we do.

@OP: Let people play however they want, if you don't like camping, go into recruiting and ask specifically for non campers/don't join or start runs with people if they ask for, or plan to camp.

I like this idea. To make it a little more unique other than just reduce droprates over time to compensate for the 2% increase droprate but put lifesupport drops on a 5 second timer before dissapearing. SO if you wait around you are going to start getting screwed.

The way you play the game isn't the way the DE wants you to play the game, so your wrong. If the DE hates camping then camping is wrong and should be fixed. That is all their is. So instead of saying This is a free game, Anyone can play the way they want and you shouldn't dictate that!" Well the DE doesn't want you to play like the way you want to so sorry but we can. <3

DE doesn't like "camping" because a lot of whiners cried so loud that created a problem, and what's funny is that DE invented camping themselves, because in videogames you CAN'T cheat, because rules are not breakable nor bendable, everything that happens happens withing the written code, and also you say nobody can tell others how to play and yet you are doing it, that's a rather hypocritical attitude there.

If you are judging others and saying that you would rather play the game because you think your way is the right way, then you have a problem, and on top of that you complain and "create" a problem for everyone else, just don't create problems out of thin air and we will all be fine.

In recruit channel you can discuss the strategy before even go to the mission btw... do it, save yourself the trouble and us.

And again i don't even camp, my main is an Oberon, but dude, nobody here has a license to judge how others play.

You get yelled at because you are telling others that they are playing it the wrong way and you claim to know the only right way, which is just your opinion.

I never said I was imposing my way of playing on him. I told him I'd rather not camp and I'd rather enjoy the game. If my post came across the way you interpreted it, I apologize.

Please do tell of all these active attempts DE is making to nerf camping. Does the cryopod run away from you whenever you stand close to it for a few seconds? Are they actively removing all the stationary play caused by abilities such as puddle or soundquake? I can say all day long I support something, but at the end of the day, what really matters is my attempts to prove that. DE hasn't done a thing to seriously impact the stationary play they literally created. 

It's funny, I don't remember DE featuring camping on the DevStream or PrimeTime LOL

DE have imposed many changes to enforce a more fun, more space-ninja-like gameplay.  One in particular, the AFK measure seems to be influenced by camping.  Additionally, direct quote of PM from [DE] Rebecca: "Endless missions pose a pretty crazy problem for us to solve".

If I'm somehow misinterpreting that, then you guys needn't worry.  If I'm correct about it, then I'm potentially helping everyone with a better solution than what DE might have otherwise implemented.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Removed provoking comment

I'm potentially helping everyone with a better solution than what DE might have otherwise implemented.

No you're not, you're just forcing your ideals onto other players when all you have to do to avoid camping is communicate with the players in your squad.