Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Parkour 2.0, Melee 3.0

(PSN)xX-GunHound-Xx

With the advent of PARKOUR 2.0 almost here, there have been many things that have come to my attention. But the most important things, is the fact that the type of melee weapon you use no longer affect the speed of your and movement and the anticipated loss of the stamina bar.

This can only mean that we now have greater options not only in movement but also in our melee capabilities. We have reduced enemy accuracy in the air, which coincides perfectly with bullet jump's ability to quickly close in on enemies for close combat, a blocking for enemy fire that might actually be effective, and the ability to choose which ever melee weapon we want and have it be viable, just not off how fast it's ability is to copter. The list just keeps getting bigger!

Will these new mechanics finally give that push to melee in the right direction?

Will we have faster finishers, targeting melee dashes, or better yet, "air melee combos". What if we can bullet jump into the air then connect with with a finisher soon after aiming at an enemy below us! It could be called a Bullet Finisher. It will vary from weapon to weapon either being quick stabs, punches or kicks, and most being executed as fast throws of the targeted enemy, while tossing them into other enemies. The possibilities are endless, but also simply theoretical, because 17 isn't out yet, so I can only be optimistic.

Whether or not this might be the direction they plan on going, the fact that movement has finally been looked at is a plus with me.

We can only wait and see.

Parkour 2.0 is definitely going to show a lot of love to Melee, addressing a lot of the "I'm too damn squishy!" or "I can only swing my swords for 3 seconds before becoming tired and useless" issues I think a lot of 'frames have trouble over-coming. I'm hoping that it becomes a viable play-style for everyone finally, rather than a few select frames who have really good damage mitigation tools. 

Charge attacks are just around the corner too, which I'm hoping fixes a lot of the issues I have with the current combo system. It'll shake things up if nothing else. 

No, not really. In fact, it's melee 1.9, as blocking is nerfed to only give damage reduction, coptering doesn't give any bonuses, and directional melee is going to be reduced to garbage, because it always was garbage and if it didn't fling you across the map no one would use it because it barely ever hits anything without reach.

We could always infinitely melee, so no stamina bar changes nothing.

I suppose you could call this Finishers 1.5, really. Because that's all it really is.

No, not really. In fact, it's melee 1.9, as blocking is nerfed to only give damage reduction, coptering doesn't give any bonuses, and directional melee is going to be reduced to garbage, because it always was garbage and if it didn't fling you across the map no one would use it because it barely ever hits anything without reach.

I suppose you could call this Finishers 1.5, really. Because that's all it really is.

But currently due to stamina we cannot Block indefinitely...

And every movement action depleted stamina: Dodge/roll evasive manuever, sprint, jump, slide attack, directional-air melee, etcetera....

With non-melee dependent mobility....we hopefully can stack Blocking damage reduction with evasive/dodge maneuver damage reduction.

-Hoping this will surpass current depleted stamina based on damage absorbed....which can be more than stamina amount and remove a chunk of health.

Eager to see the testing....but I would say Movement/Parkour 2.5(?) is melee 2.5 and melee 3.0 would be when Charge attacks return.

I feel their solution to the blocking issue is pretty beneficial to us, actually. Damage Reduction means that blocking remains viable at all levels of play without encouraging lame tactics like standing in a corner and becoming invincible. Channeling will allow us to reflect bullets, meaning we'll still have an option of turning blocking into 100% mitigation which can be really useful for when our shields need recharging or we're ducking to another cover spot. 

Parkour 2.0 also allows us to actually be evasive; jumping and flipping isn't just cool to do, but comes with the real benefit of enemies having a much more difficult time hitting you, which is exactly what a melee player closing the gap is going to need. 

No more stamina means that our movement options aren't ever slowed down, resulting in a much more fluid style of gameplay. 

I'm not sure how you can look at Parkour 2.0 as anything other than a buff for melee. 

Damage reduction is better than what we currently have for blocking. The damage we would've taken to our health/shields was instead transferred to our stamina acting as a second shield, which we all know good and well, was pointless, because a shield does as much scaling as flat damage abilities unless you were a Mag with Shield Transference. And your stamina would be gone in mere seconds if you were fighting against high leveled enemies, leaving you unable to run out the way of danger or how you put it "infinitely blocking", which we certainly can't do unless you were a Chroma with Toxic Ward, which isn't all that good outside of Ice Ward.

I feel their solution to the blocking issue is pretty beneficial to us, actually. Damage Reduction means that blocking remains viable at all levels of play without encouraging lame tactics like standing in a corner and becoming invincible. Channeling will allow us to reflect bullets, meaning we'll still have an option of turning blocking into 100% mitigation which can be really useful for when our shields need recharging or we're ducking to another cover spot. 

Parkour 2.0 also allows us to actually be evasive; jumping and flipping isn't just cool to do, but comes with the real benefit of enemies having a much more difficult time hitting you, which is exactly what a melee player closing the gap is going to need. 

No more stamina means that our movement options aren't ever slowed down, resulting in a much more fluid style of gameplay. 

I'm not sure how you can look at Parkour 2.0 as anything other than a buff for melee.

What Acos said...

But currently due to stamina we cannot Block indefinitely...

And every movement action depleted stamina: Dodge/roll evasive manuever, sprint, jump, slide attack, directional-air melee, etcetera....

With non-melee dependent mobility....we hopefully can stack Blocking damage reduction with evasive/dodge maneuver damage reduction.

-Hoping this will surpass current depleted stamina based on damage absorbed....which can be more than stamina amount and remove a chunk of health.

Eager to see the testing....but I would say Movement/Parkour 2.5(?) is melee 2.5 and melee 3.0 would be when Charge attacks return.

I do not agree.

You can do all of those movements you mentioned without stamina, with the exception of sprint. The only stamina is actually required for is blocking, wall running, and sprinting, other than that you can do everything else with stamina costs, but no actual need for it.

Eh. I'm assume you mean the ability to do it consistently and constantly to allow for a constant sense of damage reduction. I'm assume blocking isn't going to exceed dodge rolling damage reduction, so it would be basically pointless; it would be faster to get to the enemy by chaining dodge rolls, along with their added inaccuracy during dodge rolls.

Charge attacks will add something. It'll be nice, but I wouldn't say it'd add a significant amount of... anything really unless they allow certain bonuses and what not, like charge attacking an enemy from behind forces finishers or something. Else wise it's just another multiplier to damage that leaves you open and won't be viable for higher levels without CC.

Damage reduction is better than what we currently have for blocking. The damage we would've taken to our health/shields was instead transferred to our stamina acting as a second shield, which we all know good and well, was pointless, because a shield does as much scaling as flat damage abilities unless you were a Mag with Shield Transference. And your stamina would be gone in mere seconds if you were fighting against high leveled enemies, leaving you unable to run out the way of danger or how you put it "infinitely blocking", which we certainly can't do unless you were a Chroma with Toxic Ward, which isn't all that good outside of Ice Ward.

What Acos said...

I do not agree with what you're saying.

I do agree with

The discouraging of camping, and actually having mobility and our full range of movement always available.

But I suppose the consensus is Parkour 2.0 = Melee 3.0, so shall it be named.

I do not agree.

You can do all of those movements you mentioned without stamina, with the exception of sprint. The only stamina is actually required for is blocking, wall running, and sprinting, other than that you can do everything else with stamina costs, but no actual need for it.

Eh. I'm assume you mean the ability to do it consistently and constantly to allow for a constant sense of damage reduction. I'm assume blocking isn't going to exceed dodge rolling damage reduction, so it would be basically pointless; it would be faster to get to the enemy by chaining dodge rolls, along with their added inaccuracy during dodge rolls.

Charge attacks will add something. It'll be nice, but I wouldn't say it'd add a significant amount of... anything really unless they allow certain bonuses and what not, like charge attacking an enemy from behind forces finishers or something. Else wise it's just another multiplier to damage that leaves you open and won't be viable for higher levels without CC.

I agree with you about the current applications that come with stamina as we have it right now. But im going to have to say otherwise about what you mentioned with damage mitigation and charge attacks and add a little more to it.

Of course, all what I'm about to say is purely under speculation, but it might just become more fact than fiction once we've seen Parkour 2.0 and it applications.

I'm not too keen on the amount of damage mitigation rolls have, but I'm pretty sure it will be no higher than what the new blocking will provide for us. And what might be faster than chaining roll, might be the bullet jumps, which they also mentioned, lowers an enemy's accuracy when shooting at you. Plus, in one simple move, you've closed the distance between you're enemy more quickly all while getting the reduction of damage the rolls provide, if not more (probably).

And on the other hand with charge attacks, well, I consider, if we are able to "chain", charge attacks, they will be somewhat similar to heavy attacks in most hack n slash games. If it's anything like I expect it to be, what if we can send our glaive out and have it explode multiple times in succession, all without having to endure one very long charge to throw one, but instead one semi long charge to throw several.

But since we haven't seen charge attacks in the works, I might just be too optimistic and it's as how the glaive's charge is now, so I won't get overly excited. But as I said, it's all speculation...

I pretty much love everything about this change to be honest, stamina has actually managed to get me killed a couple of times when zipping around as a glorious melee Saryn, and blocking was kind of what I did whenever I was bored or about to get hit by a rocket or groundsmash to avoid knockdown.

At this point, all I'm really hoping for is a Floor-Is-Lava bonus to the melee combo build-up -like perhaps suspends the internal timer while you're not touching the floor.

I do not agree.

You can performs flips, dodge rolls, slide-attacks, directional-air melee, and melee attacks without stamina....Yes

Evasive maneuvers draining stamina

But they drain stamina, if stamina is present....which means performing those actions takes away your current source for blocking.

If those maneuvers did not drain the stamina bar...perhaps it might have been better...

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

I don't know how that happened. It's one of the most debilitating mechanics in this game.

So.. for what is it used so frequently then? I can tell I am far from being noob but I really cannot remember a single moment where I actually gave a f about stamina. I never needed it and don't understand what was ever good for. So why did I never need it? Is it somehow possible to do some overpowered stuff using stamina?

Edited by Mippy

So.. for what is it used so frequently then? I can tell I am far from being noob but I really cannot remember a single moment where I actually gave a f about stamina. I never needed it and don't understand what was ever good for. So why did I never need it? Is it somehow possible to do some overpowered stuff using stamina?

Stamina was needed to Sprint and/or Block, plus long Wallruns.

If you were never Sprinting or Blocking, then Stamina being depleted was not an issue.

Stamina was needed to Sprint and/or Block, plus long Wallruns.

If you were never Sprinting or Blocking, then Stamina being depleted was not an issue.

well then i never used to sprint longer than a second to set up a copter or slide+jump+directional air melee jump and blocking never seemed a very effective thing to me. it's quicker and less dangerous to just rush in and slay and shoot everything than slowly walking into enemies while blocking.

Edited by Mippy

• 3 weeks later...

Melee 3.0? I would be happy if thay finish Melee 2.0 thay added stances witch are great but thay also introduced channelling witch it not great mabe with the mutch awaited death of stamina channelling can get some love instead of being ignored? 

Edited by (PS4)swamprat3

Melee 3.0? I would be happy if thay finish Melee 2.0 thay added stances witch are great but thay also introduced channelling witch it not great mabe with the mutch awaited death of stamina channelling can get some love instead of being ignored?

I hope so. Fluidity in most stances leave much to be desired. In most cases, leaving them to be untouched by anyone because their viability isn't as great to something along the lines of Crimson Dervish with its insane 3x multiplier or the damage AND the mobility of Tempo Royale. Some stances need to be looked at or atleast have these things added to them in new combos.

fastest way to move was the front flip and copter, stamina was not necessary since sprinting was not used.

That may be true, but I am an avid melee user. I try to use it as much as I can when I'm fighting because I prefer to use Mt sword rather than my gun. And when you're done plowing things down with said sword, u barely have enough to copter. Coptering was more for the people who were using their guns at the time while quick firing their melee to get across the map. But for those who were using their equipped melee, it wasn't as efficient, because you used what amount of stamina you had meleeing. The mechanic worked better for those with a full supply of stamina.

Edited by (PS4)xX-GunHound-Xx