Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Parkour 2.0 (U17 Megathread Topic)

[DE]Danielle

Parkour 2.0 is a complete and utter disappointment. 

WHY BREAK MOVES THAT ARN'T BROKEN?! You Fixed it til it broke wtf.

Front flips? (Dodge+Jump) Randomly fling you an unset distance unlike before when it was perfect.

You like to jump backhandspring? Too bad, you can't anymore. (Back+dodge+jump) no longer jumping back handsprings you.

You like how you used to enter a slide real smooth? Now it flings you a weird distance for no god damn reason.

You like to wallrun? Too bad your a @(*()$ bunny now. Go hop it off.

You like being smooth with your movements? Too bad it's all #*($%%@ to hell and sketchy and unsmooth now. Everything flings you this way or that and it's not stable at all.

------------

Want to run an obstacle course? You can @(*()$ "bulletjump" passed goddamn everything.

------------

You want to fall through the air like a bad &#! and shoot things in the face? NOT ANYMORE A******! Now you have to glide like a goddamn paper airplane slowly for no apparent reason.

And guess what happens when you land? Do you "roll off" the inertia? Nah F*** INERTIA. You just land. walking boring and nothing happened.

-----------

Thanks for ucking up the one game I thought was bad &#! and awesome. realistic enough in its own universe.

I've spent over 1000 logged hours, over 150 real dollars on a game I really enjoyed. Until now. Thanks for @(*()$ up something great.

---------

P.S. Two of the new capes are @(*()$ idiot cheese.

Look at how smooth the game ALMOST ran. https://youtu.be/5wEtmc8VfMI

Why did you F*** it up. Why, please tell me why. Once there was a time I almost found the perfect game then THEY FARKED IT in the FACE.

I made a forum post but its more likely to be looked at here. So the main problems are:

1. The camera lag which is freaking annoying and disorienting (this should be changed and is a bug no doubt)

2. Wallhopping its Space Ninjas not Space Bunny's, seriously one of the Devstreams had updated wallrunning and that was PERFECT!!! Then they came with wallhopping (worst idea ever) and replaced it. What a shame.

3. Not auto sprinting after any parkour actions (self explanitory)

There are some good things though:

Double Jump (looks amazing thanks DE :3)

Bullet Jump (Not my style but okay)

Edited by I-JUST-EAT-YOU

Maybe it's been already mentioned here, but I'm not gonna dig through 7 pages:

Make the bullet jump + double jump combo more sensitive to crosshair direction.

ATM it feels like it only responds to either WSAD or HUGE direction changes. It needs to be more precise, or again we're gonna end up flinging ourselves into walls.

PS

Custom keybinds for the new parkour please. 

I'd love to separate the glide from the ADS.

PS2:

More momentum or wallhops would be nice, although that may just be me not adapting to new movement options.

Edited by Shifted

Just ran around on Apollodorus with nothing but a rank 20 Saryn and a pimped Dragon Nikana.

I have no words that will give that awesomeness justice, after I got a hang of the parkour.

Literally the only thing that bothers me now is the actual melee stuff, and I can sum up most of what I'd love in two words:

Jump Cancel

Melee is now an absolute blast, but what I wouldn't give, for the ability to cancel my melee swings and jump on command, so I can vault off these poor fools and bounce all over the field taking full advantage of this parkour.  Once I started swinging, if they didn't die in a couple of hits I had to wait for a painstakingly-mindnumbingly-agonizing second for the melee animation to finish before I was allowed to jump and start ripping the place apart.

A Dodge Cancel could also be interesting, but potentially terrible in PvP, while we're on the Canceling topic.

Right now, parkour-to-melee feels epic and smooth, but melee-to-parkour is soul-crushing.

Other than that, Bulletjump aiming could use tweaking, as has been mentioned; friggen doorways are too low to bullet through and there are so many of them.  And sometimes I fire off in a random direction.  That's slightly bothersome.

The best part about Parkour 2.0 is the shift in focus from horizontal gameplay to vertical play. This feels much more like how ninjas should be, abusing angles, corners, height, fighting in every dimension at once, rather than the plain horizon most shooters take place in.

The old parkour, everything was... "flat", for lack of a better word. Everything happened on a singular plane.

Now, it's like the levels have taken a breath they didn't know they had. There's so much space now, space to move, and glide, and soar!

I do miss the speed, but I am absolutely ecstatic that I'm not forced into a tiny handful of weapons if I want speed.

Besides, there's basically no such thing as obstacles now. Moving through the levels like an unrestricted 3D space, I'm progressing through them just as fast as zoren/kronen/scoliac/ltd ever did, if not faster.

As the crow flies, and all that. It's the difference between running through a maze, and gliding over the maze.

I made a little guide for travelling fast

https://youtu.be/u96DABJsl_Y

enjoy

Thanks a lot mate! This will really help a lot.

I'd just like to add one more tip, everyone thinks you can do that super high bullet jump only by aiming straight down and crouch+jumping but the same exact effect can achieved by aiming straight up and crouch+ jumping, which is a lot more intuitive. I wonder why DE didn't mention that in the Parkour 2.0 tutorial?

Edited by Sci_Ant

Thanks a lot mate! This will really help a lot.

I'd just like to add one more tip, everyone thinks you can do that super high bullet jump only by aiming straight down and crouch+jumping but the same exact effect can achieved by aiming straight up and crouch+ jumping, which is a lot more intuitive. I wonder why DE didn't mention that in the Parkour 2.0 tutorial?

ikr, my friend kept telling me that aiming down is better for some reason

Seems a lot more fluid and faster than before though.

More fluid and faster? I was able to do the obstacle course in less than 30 sec with the old parkour system ...

This is just hopping around ...

Edited by Feyangol

My smile and optimism for this game are gone. I want my coptering and simple but highly effective parkour back. This new parkour is slow, clunky, sticky, and just not appealing. It doesn't seem to be something a space ninja would do. If simply kicking off a wall would help maintain contact with said wall, wouldn't it just make more sense to crawl along the wall, or slide across it?

This! I feel the same. IMO even the devs weren't sure about those so-called improvements so they have even added this "Thank you!" screen ( http://i.imgur.com/S2C6shH.png ). Big disappointment. 

Wall maneuvers feel terrible. You could have reworked wallrunning to be multidirectional. Just remove the initial delay when "planting" onto the wall, and have us immediately start the movement with the wallrunning animation upon command input. If you have ever played GunZ 2, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Sprinting doesn't seem so great. There is barely a speed gain, compared to "walking". Rolling has more speed. Two things to balance these two out. First, the inital burst of speed we gain at the beginning of the roll is good and feels natural, so Just gradually reduce the movement speed near the end of the roll. Second, to match better with speeds, give sprinting slightly more top speed.

The button to do air glide is strange. For guns, we have to press the aim key to glide. For melee, we have to press the guard key to glide. So, what if our aim key and guard key are different? That's right. We have to press a different key, according to the weapon we have out. Also, what if I don't want to zoom aim in order to glide? My suggestion here is actually very simple. Change the glide input from the aim key and guard key to the sprint key. That way, pressing the sprint key midair will be the gliding move. Simple and natural.

It's awful.

For two years I've felt like an androform artillery shell. Now I have been reduced to a party balloon. 

Still no momentum preservation ANYWHERE.

No move 'connects' to any other: no move is any different depending on which move you did before or after it. These tricks are not combined, they are merely happening sequentially. 

Mindlessly easy to use and get anywhere. Essentially 'noclip' but with the requirement that one slaps the jump key continuously to keep it engaged.

Wall hop animation is honestly among the worst animations I've seen in a triple-A game in years. I miss wallrunning desperately, even though it was basically useless.

Bulletjump is pretty, but aggravatingly weak by default, and rendered inadequate by its slowness and the complete lack of sustainable momentum or buildable speed. Why do I pop up in the air a little when I perform it? Is the accompanying camera snap-and-follow really necessary?

All the new movement mods: "we don't know how to actually vary this system, so here's 12x elemental proc mods nobody will ever fit over Mobilize"

This is only more precise than the old system by virtue of having had effort thrown at it: if a proper attempt had ever been made to integrate the old mechanics, we could have had something glorious. Instead we have giant-! step backwards in every respect except animation legitimacy... weee!

The continuous hopping just means I don't have to consider my movement, ever. I just start going in the direction I want and flail off surfaces until I get there. The fact that this neuters enemy accuracy is just funny. Combined with the insanely forgiving wall hopping, movement and exposure are no longer risks. They are no longer tradeoffs. They no longer require thought or punish the lack fo it.

And coptering was too powerful? This has ALL the power and none of the speed.

On the subject of how all difficulty has been sucked out in the name of freedom of movement: where's my freedom to move fast, god damn it? Where is my in-game equivalent of sprinting? And don't say sprinting; that's just baseline "i'm not firing right now" ground movement speed. It's holding a button down. I'm not exerting my mind or my reflexes to move faster.

And in turn, on the subject of freedom of movement: we have too much, now. Terrain and tileset differences have been erased into a bland wash of moving through every single tile in the same manner: face towards exit, mash flipper against spacebar. 

Might also mention that melee is vastly worse too now, because hey, coptering was the only proper lunge attack in the game. Don't tell me about stances, either. None of those come out remotely snappily enough, or have the hit arc, or the actual gap-closing power that made (ground)coptering into a crowd so damn satisfying, and coptering such an excellent aspect of the melee gameplay in general.

I hate to be That Guy, but two years and two thousand hours+ later, I'm pretty much forced to quit. My point here, if I have one besides self-pity, is that this is a HUGE change to the game, after two years of unfocused design that the game has always survived because nothing touched the core gameplay. You have now finally touched the core gameplay, and for this tenno at least, I'm wishing I'd never started begging for parkour 2.0 back in 2013.

I say again: I used to be an artillery shell, now I am a party balloon.

Just... This ^

Wall maneuvers feel terrible. You could have reworked wallrunning to be multidirectional. Just remove the initial delay when "planting" onto the wall, and have us immediately start the movement with the wallrunning animation upon command input. If you have ever played GunZ 2, you'll know exactly what I mean.

Sprinting doesn't seem so great. There is barely a speed gain, compared to "walking". Rolling has more speed. Two things to balance these two out. First, the inital burst of speed we gain at the beginning of the roll is good and feels natural, so Just gradually reduce the movement speed near the end of the roll. Second, to match better with speeds, give sprinting slightly more top speed.

The button to do air glide is strange. For guns, we have to press the aim key to glide. For melee, we have to press the guard key to glide. So, what if our aim key and guard key are different? That's right. We have to press a different key, according to the weapon we have out. Also, what if I don't want to zoom aim in order to glide? My suggestion here is actually very simple. Change the glide input from the aim key and guard key to the sprint key. That way, pressing the sprint key midair will be the gliding move. Simple and natural.

Please don't move aim gliding to sprint, that would be terrible. I would much rather just move blocking over to where aiming is. Sprinting to glide would be a nightmare, especially since I'm using a controller. 

Please don't move aim gliding to sprint, that would be terrible. I would much rather just move blocking over to where aiming is. Sprinting to glide would be a nightmare, especially since I'm using a controller. 

What controller are you using, and which button do you have set to sprint?

When it comes to controllers, I usually make one of the left index buttons as sprint and left thumb button as crouch. I'm surprised you don't find sprinting itself to already be a hassle.

The only hassle with it now is that it toggles off when I think it shouldn't. Sprinting being tied to the left thumbstick is pretty standard, so it's not a problem in itself. Not sure why it should be a problem given the defaults of so many games these days, especially shooters, using it. 

ikr, my friend kept telling me that aiming down is better for some reason

I tested with my Loki Prime by placing a waypoint right on the floor below me and then bullet jumping while aiming both straight up and down, I got to the same height of 14 metres. :) With a single jump and then bullet jump up you can go even higher, it's actually better then using a melee to jump was earlier, and we can still chain the previous 2 jumps into 2 consecutive melee slings forward. :)

Edited by Sci_Ant

Re: overall speed and momentum preservation.

The only move that actually builds up on your momentum is the double jump, which, chained after a bullet jump, gives a good speed boost. Not "get to the cryopod in one jump" good, but still good. Similarly, the glide allows to preseve the speed if you travel in a straight line. As I said, aim-to-glide is not very convenient.

Since bullet jump throws you in a straight line, it's ridiculously convenient for turning sharp corners, where coptering fell through. The maximum jump height, for most purposes, does away with air melee pretty well (the actual air melee is not very good at hitting targets, but oh well, it never was).

Overall, I believe coptering would win by a wide margin in a drag race, but in an average mission, with lots of turns, they come out more or less equal (maybe one is a little more equal than the other). Momentum preservation on landing (and the sprint button reactivity) needs to be polished, as well as parkour synergy with speed-affecting abilities for speedrunning purposes.

Rather than a new thread, I thought this probably fit here...

Please make all the camera movement added with Parkour 2.0 optional.

Camera zooming in and out when you slide is just jarring, rolling and melee also has this.

Frankly it makes it unpleasant to play the game, which presumably isn't the feeling you are going for, right?

For everyone else ^ keyword is optional, underlined for your viewing pleasure, please take note.

So i bullet jump all over the place now and it feels great need more practice to maximize moving without running into walls. There is one problem I've encountered that breaks the flow and feel and that's using melee during a bullet jump. Every time i jump into an enemy and use melee i just snap into a standing position and swing at the enemy while still in the air. Would feel better to be able to melee in the spin kinda like  Silva and Aegis directional melee spin least that way it won't break the flow. If that makes any sense :3