Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dps Means Nothing

Attel_Malagate

^title

As U17 came with huge bufs to most shotguns, I want to hunderline the fact that the new values of shotgun damages and particulary the so called "DPS" is not a reliable measurment of a weapon's power, as the way this amount of damage delivered is also concerned.

Yes, shotguns are now outDPSing most automatic weapons, shoud they be nerfed ?

NO and here is why:

While the most commonly used weapons like boltor, soma or braton prime are automatic weapons with huge magasines and a LINEAR delivery of damage, allowing to easely deliver lethal damages to weakest the enemies with a few shots, sparing the rest of the weapon's magazine, shotguns can only deliver this damage huge chunks by huge chunks, being extremly usefull against tougher enemies but wasting a considerable amount of "DPS" in "overkiling" weaker enemies.

This being said, it is clear that shotguns are delivering damage with much less efficiency than automatic weapons, that is why their damage need to stay higher than automatic rifles, just try to clear a room with a shotgun, it will ultimately be much longer than with an assault rifle, the shotguns and other high damage/ low magazine weapons also suffer from VERY punishing missed shots, while you can spray and prey with any automatic weapons and still get satisfying results.

I made this topic in prevention of the nerf lovers who will soon enough come and ask for a nerf on shotguns or any other high damage low magazine weapons and to point out that DPS is a very subjective value that should not be taken exclusively in account when it comes to a weapon's power.

The prime example of this is the Tonkor, with his uber damages, it can be seen as OP but it comes with a much more mediocre maniability, and a super punishing miss-hit, I also want to point out that we need more diversity in end game weapons, hek, tigris, sobek and other shotguns should be welcomed by the community instead of being the target of nerf peasents.

I'm in favour of actually buffing all shotguns instead of leaving some to rot. *Cough* Strun / Wraith *Cough* Boar Prime *Cough* Kohm *Cough Cough*

Back on topic:

I very much agree that some shotguns are in a good spot right now, the Tigris being my favourite besides the duplex auto which I can't seem to ever use properly.

Other than that they seem to be doing their job of One shotting enemies and killing in close quarters well.

Shotguns need to have wider spread and all fall off removed.

Also; Hahahahahahaha, we've already had this and found out that it was indeed broken. Hek became the only viable weapon simply because of no fall off and it's absurdly high damage.

Edited by xontix627

Also; Hahahahahahaha, we've already had this and found out that it was indeed broken. Hek became the only viable weapon simply because of no fall off and it's absurdly high damage.

Obviously if they got rid of fall off entirely they would either nerf the Heks damage a bit or buff the others again to make them comparable in some way.